• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most tedious thing you've ever done in a video game

Breeding a team of 8 perfect IV pokemon from scratch.

Then realising after about 3 games online that I can't be bothered using the team I made and gave up with the game.

Samemind

MapleStory grinding is probably close. Endless hours of mindless grinding. Walking and attacking back and forth in a single area in a channel with the fewest amount of players, hearing the same music on loop, going back to town when I was low on resources and going back only to repeat it for hours, just to level up.

Fun times.

This is the one for me, without a doubt, made it to lv70-something before any of the exp requirement reductions introduced later on. That was about my breaking point. Which is a shame because the game had a decent gameplay core. 2D platformer MMO, what a novel concept.

BouncyFrag

Aid For Bruma having me close all those oblivion gates in ES Oblivion and then only getting like ten soldiers for it.

Unfortunately a good portion of Dragon's Dogma is a tedious grind. You can obviously tell Capcom tried to pad out the game by making the player run across vast land with little enemy variety to level up enough to take down Grigori.
Even after killing Grigori you have to collect like 20 wakestones in a giant hole to eventually finish the game.

I love the game, but it has some issues.

Got every item drop off every enemy in both dawn of sorrow and portrait of ruin just to fill out the bestiary. I'm sure i've done worse, but that's the most recent one I can remember.

Edit: Oh yeah, doing pretty much any form of monster camping in FFXI, ugh ugh ugh leaping lizzy ugh ugh ugh.

Oh god, I totally flipped on a guy who beat me to the mob while I was hunting an Ochiudo Kote. Was not my proudest moment.

I was so damn happy when I finally got it though.

Trying to get the very last level of every orb in Secret of Mana (and having the computer get stuck in the wall after hours of grinding)

Also eventually that copy (which was a friends) became glitched, so a file had no Boy in it (or rather, he was stuck just off screen in the lower left corner - could exchange items with him, just couldn't use him to fight anyone). So I chipped away at the Mana Beast using the Girl and the Sprite. Took an hour or so to beat him.

maxcriden

In the Gameboy Zelda game I seem to remember spending hours digging in random locations for some item that I needed. I'm sure I was doing something wrong though, lol

I remember this, too. I was just thinking about it the other day and I remember my wife had to explain to me what to do and I don't remember how it was the game tells you where to dig. It was in one of the Oracle games, right?

Spenny

Most recent: Doing the dash challenge in Hyper Light Drifter legit. Took almost three hours.

Overall: Learning how to S++ every chapter in Ikaruga on hard mode.

breadtruck

Playing Bayonetta to completion. I did not find that game as amazing as everyone said, but I forced myself to finish it.

Otherwise, any kind of "achievement hunting" on any game. I used to kinda care about them back when they were first introduced. Im so glad I got over that phase.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Played and finished Tale of the Monster Path on PC Engine, in Japanese, while not knowing any Japanese, before the internet.

Veldin

In World of Warcraft, doing Archaeology for weeks to get the really rare and expensive Sandstone Drake mount. Suffering. Kind of worth it in the end.

Eila

Right now I'm trying to complete Danganronpa on PC, and I hate that the post game is grinding shit. It's just so slow.
I doubt that's the worst I've done, though.

EpicBox

Beating James Vega's pull-ups record in Mass Effect 3 Citadel DLC.

It didn't take that long but I almost lost the will to live while hitting those triggers over and over.

lame gag

Banned
Playing Metroid Prime 2. Traversing the 2 worlds was really boring. Hated it.

Also, grinding in pretty much every RPG. It is such a chore.

Scotia

Banned
The Epsilon side missions in GTAV.

'Wait ten in-game days.'

'Walk for five miles in the desert.'

'Steal five random vehicles'

Ect., ect.

It was a massive ball-ache for nothing.

I've raised a couple of party's up to level 99 in various RPGs. Getting DQ8's Hero up to level 65 for Dragon Soul was memorably tedious. But the worst was probably playing Blitzball for Wakka's Attack Reels. I hated that fucking game.

EDIT: Lightning dodging was infuriating, but if you knew what you were about you could usually handle it in a couple of tries. Blitzball meant multiple seasons of boredom.

Levelling up any skill in Runescape

basically doing anything in Runescape

This is so true, I don't know how many hours I sat there cutting trees and all the other shit lol

One thing for me would be getting real plat god in Binding of Isaac Rebirth, literally restarting for like 30 min+ to get holy mantle, dead cat or maybe prop just to make a decent attempt with the lost.

Grampasso

It's got to be that lightning dodging game in FFX. Spent hours and hours at that. Can't believe I had the patience for it back then.

Always did that on first try and in multiple playthroughs. It's just half an hour, so I wouldn't say it's the most tedious thing in a videogame, once it's done it's done. The grinding in a lot of MMORPGs is much much worse IMHO

lvl 99 fishing and cooking in the free world of runescape, good times

animus on ass creed games, they fucking suck balls and should get rid of that shit, at the very least i actually liked cooking and fishing in runescape

the reason why i didnt keep playing black flag or purchased or plan to purchase another ass creed game

Retro

Raiding in World of Warcraft. It's like trying to herd coked-up kittens in a room full of shiny moving objects, using only Skype.

And all the kittens secretly hate each other and have to tell you about it at every opportunity.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Platinuming the 3 Sly titles on PS3. Gosh. Even with podcasts it was still an agony. I hated everything about these games from start to finish.

Bravely second. All of it.
The new content is great, but 90 percent of it is a rehash of the first game. Same towns, same dungeons. Same bosses.

Wouldn't be so bad if the first game had you go through everything 4 times. ..

The Epsilon side missions in GTAV.

'Wait ten in-game days.'

'Walk for five miles in the desert.'

'Steal five random vehicles'

Ect., ect.

It was a massive ball-ache for nothing.

If you got 'nothing' out of that mission string, I have some very bad news for you.

If you successfully steal the car during the last mission, you keep the cash. Doing that as soon as it comes up, plus the Franklin investment missions, ensures you never have to worry about funds in SP.

Synth

I got a couple of my shotgun and rifle bullets up to level 50 in Phantasy Star Universe, if I remember. Your skills and stuff all leveled up as you hit things with them, and it took a lot for them to level. Some weapons, such as the shotgun, weren't so bad because they hit multiple enemies at a time. (The shotgun was also the best weapon type in the game, especially in the hands of a Gunmaster.)

Forces and their derivatives had it the worst, though. Level had more of an effect on their abilities so people did boosting parties where they did nothing but spam them until they eventually leveled them. I had a friend that got all of the buffs and debuffs up to 50. On a Cast Acrotecher.

Ah, good old buff parties. I actually didn't mind those so much. I used to plug in an arcade stick, set the buttons to turbo, and then placed weights on them. Then I'd just chat over keyboard of voice comms as they level, switching out wands/TCSMs as they depleted. It was the levelling of actual attacks that was excruciating... sitting all alone in an instance specifically chosen because each enemy could absorb a gazillion hits before dying.

Speaking of tedious stuff though, it reminds of my first day on it playing the beta. After doing the obligatory running around the Colony for 30 minutes trying to work out how to get into a level, I ended up travelling to Neudaiz and found myself in a party of lvl1's fighting lvl5 enemies. We had one Ranger on the team who was lvl4 with a Sniper Rifle, and was the only person that could actually kill anything (we didn't even know Photon Arts existed, so were extra useless). Unfortunately she hadn't yet learned about Photon Charges, and so would run out of ammo after every batch of enemies... and which point we'd all put our weapons away, sit in a circle and talk about how shit we were until her rifle had finished charging again after a few minutes. We'd then walk to the next batch of enemies and repeat the cycle. Good times.

Also, I have no sympathy for someone creating a Cast Acrotecher, lol.

Collecting all the Riddler trophies in AK. Whyyy did I do that.

Because it ransomed the ending away. Which was utter horseshit. I'm still mad about it all.

Astarte

Grinding for being true endgame ready in Dungeon and Fighter (Dungeon Fighter Online in the west). I grinded for thousands of hours just to get one item that helped me grind for more; I think it took me a year or two of constant playing, careful planning, and a ton of luck to get to where I am right now.

Leveling to 50 in SWTOR at launch.

It was basically required that you do every available side quest (as well as a fair amount of basic XP grinding off mobs and space missions) in order to keep up with the suggested levels for the main story quests.

Jin

Chocobo racing for Tidus ultimate weapon. It took me over an hour before I won it. My cousin who was watching me play fell asleep.

joecanada

I remember in Castlevania: Circle of the Moon for GBA, during the summer of 2001, I got up to Lv 99 by sliding in and out of the last room of the Battle Arena over and over again to fight the Devils there, since they gave a shitload of EXP. I spent whole days doing nothing but killing those same few enemies. Keep in mind this is a game where you're pretty much invincible at Lv. 50 or so.

lol OP is my old roommate. he would continue playing FF1 even though he was like level 99 with all characters or something, he stated he could one hit the last boss, but just kept playing..... he would always grind to some invincible level (and he was famous for not saving games for hours too, led to some hilarious rage)

Daft Punk

Banned
Where are my original Maple Story peeps? That game was the definition of tedious. 10+ hours of grinding Pepes at the bottom of Orbis Tower to gain ONE level? Bah. MMORPG kids nowadays will never know the struggle.

Top Bottom