• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most tedious thing you've ever done in a video game

Ricky_R

Calling Pequod for in and out of missions in MGSV is up there.

In fact, MGSV is possibly one of the most tedious gaming experiences I've had in recent memory. Thankfully, the marvelous gameplay compensated enough.

Drakengard 3

Getting all weapons and then fighting THAT boss...

What kind of sick bastard designed that? Oh...

This would've been my pick if Drakengard 1 wasn't so much worse about it. And just worse in general.

Also, DOD3's final ending I felt was completely worth the suffering. Not that DOD1's wasn't, but... it was in a different way.

vakarian32

Beating James Vega's pull-ups record in Mass Effect 3 Citadel DLC.

It didn't take that long but I almost lost the will to live while hitting those triggers over and over.

Yep came to post that too, I finished the fucking thing out of spite.

jelly

Planet scanning in Mass Effect 3. Sure I glanced over someone mentioning you needed a certain XP level for some end game thing so I thought might as well get it done. Hate myself.

Collecting anything in Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's almost game ruining.

I've got to the point were even collecting stuff for a reward or upgrade is just as bad as absolutely nothing. Stop doing it please.

bobawesome

Nothing comes close to filling out the sphere grid for all characters in FFX. I could always cheese it but where's the fun in that.

Where's the fun in ANY of this.

JunkoEve

I went all out for certain games I played;

1) Final Fantasy X: Fighting Chocobo Eaters 244 times to get Luck Spheres for Tidus, Yuna, Rikku, Kimahri.

2) Final Fantasy VIII: Trying to catch Adamantoises in a random luck encounter to get Adamantines.

3) Resident Evil 6: Fighting Leon's Graveyard scenario and Chris's Warehouse campaign to get Bpoints and upgrade all my weapons and stats. Awesome game.

4) Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae: Fighting Queen Garulas to get 99 Garula's Tusks and get rich selling it.

5) Marvel vs Capcom Ultimate Universe: Using the trio of Dante, Vergil and Trish, simply to release stress.

icam_17

Reloading a save point right before completing a quest in Fallout 4 hoping that the idiot savant skill kicks in. I put so much time into that that the muscle memory is still there. Worth it.

Verelios

Where are my original Maple Story peeps? That game was the definition of tedious. 10+ hours of grinding Pepes at the bottom of Orbis Tower to gain ONE level? Bah. MMORPG kids nowadays will never know the struggle.
Try killing slimes for months to get to lvl 25. Most cost effective but mind numbing experience of my life.

Prelude.

Probably not the absolute worst since some have been mentioned already, but a recent one was getting 500 digimon medals in Digimon Cyber Sleuth. Roughly 300 of those can only be obtained from gacha machines that contain 30 medals each.

2016-04-29-001623d2jry.jpg

Terrorblot

I think the most tedious thing I ever did was that survive infinity mode for a day / three days (or whatever the number was) in the original Dead Rising. It was in real time without saving and you actually had to keep your 360 on for three days straight, and this was in the days of red ringing.

Second place would have to be leveling Vaan to level 30 via the phoenix down trick in FFXII before even acquiring Panelo.

Xenoflare

Drakengard 3

Getting all weapons and then fighting THAT boss...

What kind of sick bastard designed that? Oh...

Funnily enough Drakengard 3 is the easiest game probably in terms of 100% weapon completion, since the mission menu outlines if you opened all your chests in a verse and the rest is farming payday missions for money.

Drakengard 1 has more weapons and you need a guide to obtain them. Shit like "walk to this specific point and then turn back" happens often and the game never tell you those conditions

Where are my original Maple Story peeps? That game was the definition of tedious. 10+ hours of grinding Pepes at the bottom of Orbis Tower to gain ONE level? Bah. MMORPG kids nowadays will never know the struggle.

Oh god. I was like 20% exp gain in 6 hours = job well done. (Mid 60s Ice Mage, fire boar).

Now, 6 hours can almost get you to level 120~200 depend on your funding. I miss being a true noob and exploring around. Noob in maple now means low damage while Pro is high damage even without knowledge of the game.

Fire Emblem: Conquest Lunatic. Just kidding, it's actually pretty accessible compared to other higher difficulties in Fire Emblem. Still a complete drag, and forces you to steamroll. But, it's relevant given the attention the game is getting. I remember recently playing a rom hack of Pokemon Platinum, and I really wanted to use a Pinsir. But, the creator set his encounter rate to 5% and I wanted at least a decent nature on him. Took me a couple of nights to get a Pinsir I was okay with.

pastrami

Getting the Real Mega Buster in Dead Rising. You have to kill something like 50,000 zombies. Spent a couple hours just driving in the tunnels. Mind numbing experience and afterwards I was so sick of Dead Rising that I don't know if I ever went back and used the Real Mega Buster.

patchday

picking plants in Vanilla Destiny to level up my armor. The hate I built up for the game during that time was unreal

oh yeah all those trips to that 1 raid in vanilla destiny had too was freakin' horrible. Never did get all my pieces to hit L32 til Crota expansion

setting up weeks worth of grinding sessions to reach max rank in Gears of War 2. It is pretty much match after match of king of the hill where u take turns walking in and out of a hill to switch captures. Dozens of hours easily

est1992

I don't usually do all of the tedious things in games. I tend to just beat the main story and move on. BUT, when Arkham City came out I was obsessed with finding all of the Riddler trophies. About halfway through finding them I got fed up and almost quit doing it, but then I kept going just to have the satisfaction of punching him in the face once I got them all.

Getting platinum trophies in Demon's Souls, FFXIII and Nier. All of which required farming items with very low drop rates. In the case if Nier from enemies with low spawn rates. Never again.

ZoronMaro

Recently? I've gotten stupid pointless platinum trophies in some RPGs, Nier, Drakengard 3, Ni no Kuni and some others.

But the biggest waste of time has got to be back when I played FF6 and I grinded to get 4 Economizers. I spent weeks fighting dinosaurs and teaching every character all the high tier spells.

KevinCow

Banned
I grinded (ground?) enough bolts to get the RYNO in one of the Ratchet games. I think the second one? Going Commando? There was one part where you could run around and destroy a lot of the environment, collect a lot of bolts, jump off and die, respawn right there, and repeat. Did that for like an hour or so.

Usually though, if something's tedious, I'll just stop playing.

TI82

Banned
There is an annoying mission in legacy of Goku 2 where as vegeta you have to transport a dragons egg. It's extremely tedious.

Soodanim

Any game where I collected things but used a guide. It was boring, and at times annoying, but I can only imagine how much worse it would have been had I chosen to collect it all without guides. AC2 at least had some small story reward, but it's not much. San Andreas had 3 sets of collectables, 1 set only visible at night or something. Fuck that without help.

DrXym

1. Playing Zelda Ocarina of Time and realising its the same bloody dungeon over and over
2. Escaping Hades by climbing up those rotating spike wheel things in God of War and constantly falling.
3. Those stupid Riddler clues in Arkham Knight where you're supposed to take a photo of something.
4. Level / mode loading screens in badly optimised games - Total War being a prime standout.
5. Every piece of grind bullshit in every MMO ever - death penalties, crafting, spawn camping, repairing, waiting for the ship, killing 10 swamp frogs etc.

Stomping a hundred times on corpses in Dead Space 1. to get 100% completion.

I love that game but when the last thing left was to get an x number of stomps, it felt tedious, stupid and pointless. I was giving my screen a 'look' the whole times saying 'seriously?' and when I finished, 'really?'. Everything else, I loved. I just didn't want to leave the game at 99% completion forever.

Corginand

On Pokemon, shiny/competitive breeding. Took me a little over 200 eggs to get a male shiny espurr, but after that I found out about shiny values and it got a little easier.

Back when I played SMT IV I decided to get all the fiends, and 7 of them have ridiculously low encounter rates. I wish I could remember the time it took me to find each but I'm pretty sure at least one of them (Chemtrail) took me like 2-3 hours to appear. And I had to do the neutral route twice because the first time I didn't fight Red Rider.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, crown hunting is a pain. I still need several small crowns from things like the dromes, both Kirin and both Monoblos. Dromes are boring, Kirin requires GQ (for Oroshi there's also a 10* caravan quest or that G3 event) and Monoblos are offline only.

Grinding out deployments and resource gathering in MGSV to try and get level 7+ gear and max FOB. Turning it on every day to deploy, and sometimes just leaving it on in ACC while I surf, until all my combat troop levels were getting too low to do maximum deployments, needing to be reupped. I gave up after months, uninstalled it and we're not together anymore.

DarkTom

I killed about 150 "Sand Mens" in FFXII because the game said that chaining kills of the same ennemies gives great stuff. It was not worth it.

I also spent a lot of time earning gold in this Ironsword's mini-game
NES--Ironsword%20%20Wizards%20%20Warriors%20II_May24%2017_56_11.png

It may look stupid since it is a gambling game but I don't know how I was regurlarly winning at it, maybe there is a kind of pattern ? I can't remember clearly, this was about 20 years ago.

Top Bottom