• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother who fled UK for Syria (and IS) with five children 'wants to come home'

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean there is a chance that they'd resent the country they live in for leaving their mother to die/be raped in a warzone and thus be easy radicalisation targets? Quelle surprise!

Bring them all home. Have the mother (and kids once they're of age to carry out tasks).

This hard-line stance that people want hasn't worked. And won't work

Eh? Isn't that self-contradictory?

People want it because we haven't had it.

Symphonia

Banned
We show our humanity by showing how inhuman we can be, good jorb guys.
Her husband joined IS. She had intentions of joining IS. Her husband died and shit turned sour. She now wants to come back to a country which she originally planned to be the enemy of. Are we inhuman for not wanting a terrorist in our country? Or is terrorism no longer a disgustingly inhuman act?

The kids are British, and they haven't done anything wrong. Bring them back. As for the mom, bring her and punish her for her stupidity, and squeeze her to provide info on anyone who helped organise her travel to Syria.

The kids need to be brought back, but what happens after? They need to be evaluated and protected, no? Some of the kids will surely hold on to some beliefs of the mother, and may grow up to strongly resent that the UK didn't let their mother come back.

Of course, the mother may not want to leave the kids, and she would want to use them as a bargaining token to come back herself. No way is she going to send the kids back without ensuring she comes back too, it's her best chance at returning.

FreeMufasa

Some of the comments here are disgusting.

No doubt If the kids were white british there wouldn't be as many. It's because they're non-White it's easier to consider them not-british. Therefore bun dem.

You WASTEMAN are condemning british born kids to death.

I'd be against letting any of them back in, but I imagine they'll all be brought back and she'll be 'rehabilitated'

Them kids need to go into care or a foster family though, thats some messed up shit.

JimiNutz

Banned
Let the kids back in.
If they wanna stay with the Mum then Turkey isn't the worst place in the world to live...

Betty

Banned

Technially the mother already did that when she dragged them to Syria.

Who knew an active warzone could be a dangerous place and that a group known for brutality could be so unpleasant?

The kids had no choice, it's her fault.

No doubt If the kids were white british there wouldn't be as many. It's because they're non-White it's easier to consider them not-british. Therefore bun dem.

Their own mother pretty much did that for them.

Eh, I'd be even more aggressive in my stance were that the case.

SmokyDave

Yeah, you sussed it man. Nothing to do with her actions. Nothing to do with culture. Nothing to do with her wanting us all to die in a lake of fire. Nothing to do with any of that, it's just straight racism. You've cracked it.

You might not be able to entertain this idea, but I'd actually feel no different if they were blonde haired blue eyed converts. In fact, I think I'd feel stronger about them being left out there if they didn't even have the 'I was brought up in war torn Somalia' excuse.

It's so easy to fall into the mindset of basically being so tired of, loathing of, and disgusted by Islamic Extremism that you just start to not give any fucks involved with anyone who associates themselves with them. Like some of the other people who've posted here, I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who runs off to join Isis. I don't care how you got to that point, you literally went to join a group that is an enemy to western civilization and have become the closest thing to pure evil that exists in this world today.

Whether they're white 'british or whatever is regardless, she voluntarily left and dragged them kids with her, she made her own bed now lie in it. If it was a 'white british;' I'd be telling her to sod off even more so.

More sympathetic to the kids though, cos thats messed up stuff for them to go through.

Symphonia

Banned
Yeah, you sussed it man. Nothing to do with her actions. Nothing to do with culture. Nothing to do with her wanting us all to die in a lake of fire. Nothing to do with any of that, it's just straight racism. You've cracked it.

You might not be able to entertain this idea, but I'd actually feel no different if they were blonde haired blue eyed converts. In fact, I think I'd feel stronger about them being left out there if they didn't even have the 'I was brought up in war torn Somalia' excuse.
wW1dH66.gif

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
It would be prudent for the UK to have their top indoctrination experts thoroughly check those kids minds before introducing them back into society but throw away the key on the mother -- she's just a ticking time bomb. I wouldn't trust any adult influenced by IS to be in my society after direct contact.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Bring her back. Take the children, place them in a good foster home, lock mom up on charges of child abuse.

As a father, I can't imagine taking my daughter to a slightly dangerous playground, let alone a goddamned warzone.

Put the kids in care and her in prison.

Any comments about racism is fucking nuts. She ran off with her family to join a group who have spent the last year declaring death to anyone that's not them (including fellow Muslims).
They have released videos of them decapitating people and burning people alive in cages. Footage not provided by Western media, but actually released, shot and edited by ISIS themselves.
To run off and embrace that....only to say you made a mistake? Too fucking bad. The facts and information were there, no way she didn't know what they were up to when she upped and let to join them.

Blader

These people have started a war, they brutally murder everyone who disagrees and proudly display their heads.
They rape children and sell women like cattle.

What "Noble ideas" about Islam were you going for then?

The big appeal to ISIS is that it's an Islamic State. That might sound redundant, but when you consider groups like Al-Qaeda and their call for suicide-bombing jihad with 72 virgins in paradise as reward, the notion of building your own country for your culture and religion is a much more positive and appealing message.

It's not like a lot of western Muslims go into it knowing all the facts about how ISIS brutalizes, rapes and murders scores of innocent people, women and children included. And even those who do know that ISIS is violent may see it as justified given who they're up against -- it's not like Assad is some patron saint.

There's a reason ISIS' recruitment pull is strong. They operate like any other cult: find people marginalized in their current societies, appeal to their base desires, capitalize on their lack of awareness, and draw them in with promises of a better life and future for them and their families.

Dilly

Banned
It's not like a lot of western Muslims go into it knowing all the facts about how ISIS brutalizes, rapes and murders scores of innocent people, women and children included. And even those who do know that ISIS is violent may see it as justified given who they're up against -- it's not like Assad is some patron saint.

Weird how she only realizes all that after her house got bombed.

Repatriate them, put the children into care, provide mental health support for the mother and put her under a very carefully monitored rehabilitation procedure, and when done try and persuade her to proselytize against ISIS. Everyone wins.

does she have mental illness for falling for ISIS propoganda? just seems a bit iffy and a move towards labeling people you don't like as having mental illness.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Terrible story. I feel for the children. It is easy to feel that the religiously blinded mother brought it on herself, but I suspect that she was thoroughly indoctrinated during her upbringing.

She should be allowed to come back.

It is on the news 24/7. If they don't know it, it is only because they've gone off into conspiracy theory land where they think the western media is just all lies and propaganda. And if that is they way they think, they are probably best at home with IS>

does she have mental illness for falling for ISIS propoganda? just seems a bit iffy and a move towards labeling people you don't like as having mental illness.

Yeah, mental illness shouldn't be confused with falling for crazed propoganda, but there's some information to be learned here for why someone would just end up trying to leave the entire country to join it. Use that information to educate and dissuade others, which is actually the strongest weapon against them right now; to stagnate their numbers.

It is on the news 24/7. If they don't know it, it is only because they've gone off into conspiracy theory land where they think the western media is just all lies and propaganda. And if that is they way they think, they are probably best at home with IS>

and once they wake up and smell the coffee? there's people in our own country that act like that, look at all the conspiracy theorists going crazy over Jade Helm and that thread yesterday where OP and a few others were convinced "Big Pharma" was the reason that a wonder drug called cannibas that could cure cancer and make you smarter is illegal.

I couldn't give the slightest hint of a toss about our fair-weather jihadi or any of her brood. What a load of bollocks about "just nipping over to convince her husband to come home" as well. She's made her bed and now she should lie in it. Let them all be an example to anyone else even considering uprooting their family to join the glorious caliphate.

Tenebrous

I couldn't give the slightest hint of a toss about our fair-weather jihadi or any of her brood. What a load of bollocks about "just nipping over to convince her husband to come home" as well. She's made her bed and now she should lie in it. Let them all be an example to anyone else even considering uprooting their family to join the glorious caliphate.

They're innocent British children. Their mothers actions shouldn't have any sort of effect on the help we give them.

dan2026

How awful must the religious brainwashing have been for a mother to drag her children to a warzone in support of arguably the evilest group on the planet?

The kids shouldn't pay for the crimes of the mother.
That isnt how the law works. Nor is it how any sort of reasonable moral thinking should work.

Yep (although frankly I do not care what happens to the mother as long as she isn't allowed back into society).

Jail her. She'll write a memoir called "Pilgrimage" about her time there and how she deeply regrets joining. It becomes an instant hit and is adapted by colleges for studies about anthropology. Publishers will make millions.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The mother might be useful to actually tell radicalized people in Britain how much of a bad idea it is to join an army of crazy murderous assholes. Since it's not as self-apparent to some people as it sounds.

Good idea. The people in question would certainly listen more to her than to other people. Yet, it is questionable how much her views have actually changed. She might even still endorse ISIS and just pretend to denounce them to get back to a safe country.

I don't like the idea of separating a mother from her children. There should be a way for her to demonstrate she's not an extremist and can reintegrate into society. Maybe abandoning her religion should do it? The kids can be raised as christian, jewish or atheists

They're innocent British children. Their mothers actions shouldn't have any sort of effect on the help we give them.

How do we know they will stay that way? Heard about videos of 12-13 year old kids doing the shooting on some ISIS propaganda videos. She's got a 12 year old. I'd rather we not find out at all, tbh.

Hagi

Well damn better send some predator drones to wherever they are because that baby has the cold hard look of a killer just look at how he holds that AK-47 and smiles.

How do we know they will stay that way? Heard about videos of 12-13 year old kids doing the shooting on some ISIS propaganda videos. She's got a 12 year old. I'd rather we not find out at all, tbh.

what about the other 4 kids? are you afraid of the 1 year old plotting to blow up a preschool?

dabig2

Sure did get uncomfortably UKIP in this thread. Repatriate and then jail/treat the mother. Put the kids in foster care and study the oldest to see how much shit their parents put in their heads already. Treat the disease at its core - the mind. Banning them and others from entering the country does nothing. Just like how the death penalty hasn't deterred shit for millennia. What does help is science. I want to bring these people back to study so that we can get better at predicting this behavior and stopping it before it begins.

I would think in a wealthy, supposedly humane and scientific country that the above option would be the default.

Sure I have no sympathy for the mother but them kids did nothing except being dragged off to a warzone by their twisted mother.

Apparently he couldn't give a toss. :/

I actually understand where some people are coming from when they say that they don't think either the mother or the kids should be allowed back in, as there's the possibility that the kids could harbor some anti-west sentiments growing up and possibly act upon them. I don't agree that it's reason enough not to let them back in and give them the monitoring and care they need and deserve, but nevertheless I understand the viewpoint.

What I don't understand however is the blatant coldness that some people in this thread seem to have towards those kids just because of choices their mother made. Makes me sick.

Newline

But their mother is a terrible woman.. as if that's not enough suffering already.

hodgy100

Her husband joined IS. She had intentions of joining IS. Her husband died and shit turned sour. She now wants to come back to a country which she originally planned to be the enemy of. Are we inhuman for not wanting a terrorist in our country? Or is terrorism no longer a disgustingly inhuman act?

The story says her intention was to bring him back to the UK. where do you get the bolded from?

Kysen

None of them allowed back. Isis will kill them anyway now that they renounced the group. Bombs tend to cause a change in mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom