• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motion controls can't be entirely disabled in Star Fox Zero.

Iced

Can you not visualize how Star Fox would work with twin sticks or something?

Older Star Fox games? Yeah, I can. But, I also haven't played this new game. Who is to say what control scheme is better for THIS GAME except for those who have actually played it? This really isn't a difficult concept here...

entremet

Why is this the fucking default response for everything negative?

I play Splatoon with no gyro control. I play Wind Waker HD using the Pro Controller. People like options.
Doesn't this game require the gamepad due to the dual screen aspect?

So no hope of pro controller support then or a traditional cursor based on the position of your Arwing. Think this is the third disappointing thing I've read from Nintendo in the last couple of hours.

I'll keep my preorder for the game (don't want to loose the E3 discount) but it's not coming out of the shrinkwrap until I read impressions from folk. Can always return it if things are the worst case scenario.

Griss

I have no problem with gyro controls, it's if the game requires you to constantly look between two screens that could prove disastrous.

So long as your attention can be focused on the main screen then gyro controls to aim and stick to move could work very well with a bit of practice.

Xeteh

Watch some high level Splatoon play, you'll see the appeal. You'll also get housed online by teams that really take time to grasp the gyro aiming.

As someone who used the gyro aiming in Splatoon I don't think its a cool idea for games to not give me the option if I wanted to not use it. Less options aren't beneficial... the gyro would work just as well if there was the option to turn it off.

Afrikan

Oh sheeeet it's Lair for PS3 all over again.

I was able to play with the sixaxis..but alot of people were put off by it being motion only. One of the reasons of its downfall.

Eventually it was patched in...but by then it was too late.

Great looking game though, with an Amazing soundtrack.

Glass Rebel

Sin & Punishment 2 had the option to play the entire game using a classic controller even though it was clearly meant to be played with the pointer. Not only is the pointer more precise than gyro aiming, I'm 100% sure that Star Fox 0 will be significantly easier so I find their reasoning to be laughable at best. I was going to use gyro aiming anyway since Splatoon made me a believer but that's no reason to not have the option.

Mariolee

Fine with me. If the levels are built around the specific set of controls, then so be it. Why wouldn't I want to play as the developers intended. It would be nice to have the option but it's not a total loss.

Cool, was gonna play the game the way it was meant to be played anyway. Gamers remind me of finnicky eaters sometimes. Shut the fuck up and try something different.

Yukinari

Older Star Fox games? Yeah, I can. But, I also haven't played this new game. Who is to say what control scheme is better for THIS GAME except for those who have actually played it? This really isn't a difficult concept here...

Never said there was a definitive control scheme, only that Nintendo is obviously capable of providing multiple control methods. If you want another example Pikmin 3 offers three control types.

And the reception from E3 and past events from press has been mixed on the gyro control so its not like theyre a huge success.

Cool, was gonna play the game the way it was meant to be played anyway. Gamers remind me of finnicky eaters sometimes. Shut the fuck up and try something different.

Are you one of those people who get mad when someone customizes their controls in Smash or use something other than a Gamecube controller?

Nanashrew

Banned
Sin & Punishment 2 had the option to play the entire game using a classic controller even though it was clearly meant to be played with the pointer. Not only is the pointer more precise than gyro aiming, I'm 100% sure that Star Fox 0 will be significantly easier so I find their reasoning to be laughable at best. I was going to use gyro aiming anyway since Splatoon made me a believer but that's no reason to not have the option.

You can shoot things outside the TV screen area with the gamepad according to GameXplain. That's part of the gyro function and I bet some stages might incorporate something like that.

Glass Rebel

You can shoot things outside the TV screen area with the gamepad according to GameXplain. That's part of the gyro function and I bet some stages might incorporate something like that.

I don't see how you couldn't replicate that with the second analog tbh.

Hm, yes, a great way to foster quality conversation is to tell people who think differently from you to shut the fuck up. Great post, Ethan. Keep it up.

televator

I now have the opposite of hype for this game.

giphy.gif

I mean why even think of the WiiU as a home console if Nintendo REALLY wants you to look through game pad? It s more like this strange and awkward home handheld for key games in the library.

jnWake

Ah, yet another thread of people complaining about a control scheme they haven't tried.

The trauma some people have with "motion controls" is ridiculous. Gyro is, in my opinion, an amazing support for aiming and it seems to be pretty crucial to how Star Fox Zero plays.

Ah, yet another thread of people complaining about a control scheme they haven't tried.

The trauma some people have with "motion controls" is ridiculous. Gyro is, in my opinion, an amazing support for aiming and it seems to be pretty crucial to how Star Fox Zero plays.

What's the difference between complaining about something you haven't tried and championing something you haven't tried?

Both groups have seen the same footage. It seems a little short sighted to lay into people doubtful about it then have unwaivering faith in it.

Yet another reason I question why I bought the Wii U Pro controller. No fucking thanks.

The gamepad is cumbersome for a controller. Don't care how tight the motion is, it means I need to hang onto an ipad.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

I've tried motion controls on multiple occasions and they just never clicked with me. No amount of Nintendo fans telling me how wrong I am or telling me to shut the fuck up will change that.

Nanashrew

Banned
What is this, 2007? Who's afraid of motion controls?

Everyone but mobile users who have adapted to gyro and motion controls cause it's in every phone and tablet device and many users complaining when gyro isn't in the game like a racing game and whatever.

You don't like motion controls? What? No. You like motion controls. Shut the fuck up. That slow-ass gameplay and negative impressions from people who've played the game? It was all your imagination, because you like motion controls.

This game made by different people has motion controls, and it's good there. That means it's good in this game from a different genre.

Nanashrew

Banned
TBH, I'm calling all us old gamers old hat to the industry and with VR around the corner, motion controls are going to play a highly important role with it. Whether that fails or succeeds, it will be the newer generations who "get it" more than any of us will.

maxiell

It seemed like in the co-op play one person wasn't using motion controls, so I guess you could find a friend to do that part for you.

Nanashrew

Banned
It seemed like in the co-op play one person wasn't using motion controls, so I guess you could find a friend to do that part for you.

Co-op, one person is the Arwing controlling the flight using the pro controller. Second player is on the gamepad shooting using gyro and paying attention to the second screen and stuff.

I feel like we're going to have another Kid Icarus Uprising on our hands.

People who take the time to understand it's complex control scheme will end up loving it.

Everyone else will thrash it in the reviews.

Kid Icarus received mostly positive reviews and ended up with an 83 Meta Critic. It was hardly "thrashed".

I'm calling it now that this game will end up substantially below that Meta Critic average, and the controls will have a lot to do with it. Nothing wrong with trying a different control scheme, but sometimes it doesn't pan out so well. In fairness I think they would include a non-motion option if it was viable.

Nerrel

Is it time to fully abandon hope for a Wii remote + nunchuk scheme? I haven't read an outright confirmation that they're not included, but someone would have mentioned it by now if they were. What a waste of a great fucking opportunity. IR aiming would have done the series a lot more justice than... what we're getting.

I feel like we're going to have another Kid Icarus Uprising on our hands.

People who take the time to understand it's complex control scheme will end up loving it.

Everyone else will thrash it in the reviews.

The more I play it, the more I realize that Uprising's control scheme isn't as complex as people say it is. L > Fire, Circle Pad > Movement, Stylus > Camera Control. It's as simple as it gets.

Nintendo demonstrated that they can make Gyro controls work really well with Splatoon. Should be interesting to see how the game plays.

The problem with impressions ahead of time is that maybe those people didn't like gyro controls. It's hard to tell if there was a predisposed dislike of the scheme or if there is a genuine problem. I know when I got my hands on Splatoon for the first time, I turned it off because I was so against it. But then I started playing around a bit more because I liked the responsiveness of aiming with that system versus twin stick shooting.

Asking for a new SF and getting a glorified SF64 with mandatory motion controls is like taking a bite of a chocolate chip cookie and finding out it's actually an oatmeal raisin cookie.

It's still a cookie so you might as well eat it, but it's not going to be very satisfying and when the baker sees you don't really like it they're probably not even going to bother making you another.

And that's my metaphor.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The issue is not with the motion controls. The issue is not even with two different sets of controls for direction and shooting. Splatoon showed that this can be done in a competent way. The issue is with the need to look at one screen for direction and use one set of controls and look at other screen for shooting and use the motion controls. And looking at the screen for targeting with the motion controls is essential. So you're practically driving a car forward while looking through the rear windows. Or you don't shoot, as several previewers did.

Yes, everything can be learned, but it doesn't make it better or fun.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Gyro in 643D was perfect, as long as that is the simplest control option, it's fine.

I dislike every instance of motion control I've ever experienced, so this is disappointing. I mean I'm sure it can be serviceable, but I really don't understand the need to shoehorn all this stuff into every single game when the fanbase doesn't want it. Optional? Great. Those who like the motion controls will be happy, but those who don't aren't punished.

But even despite the motion controls, the bigger concern is really the dual screen and requiring that you look at the gamepad to aim and look up to pilot...doesn't seem like it will be a great experience, especially in a series that always had very tight and precise controls.

Top Bottom