• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motion controls can't be entirely disabled in Star Fox Zero.

Llyranor

I'm still hopeful that the controls work well once you get used to it. I'm keeping my preorder for the E3 discount, in any case.

Worst-case scenario, if the singleplayer controls disappoint, I'll play through the game in pilot/gunner coop mode. I'm fairly confident I'll enjoy that kind of coop.

Because the people that bought the WiiU didn't reject the idea (most of them, at least).
No, not at all haha. I'm pretty sure the best selling games on the system are playable with Pro Controllers.

I dont get why they are forcing WiiU gimmicks down our throat AFTER we already rejected the ideas behind WiiU in the market at large lol
Miyamoto still seems to have some delusional idea that the Wii U will start selling like hot cakes once people "get" his grand vision. We get it Miyamoto, we don't like it.

Ansatz

But in this game they seem to be a huge chore and hard to grasp which Nintendo itself acknowledged by saying something like "you'll have to play this game over and over to truly enjoy it" or something in the direct.

Isn't that because the game is structured as a Platinum game? I.e. your first playthrough is the tutorial etc. etc.

These games are designed for high scores and 100% runs. I don't know if it's going to satisfy those who are looking for an experience, it's about the act of play not cool stuff happening on the screen.

AKC12

So how will the Arwing aiming work with motion controls? When you're turning but you don't move around the Gamepad to aim, will the aiming reticle aim towards where the arwing is pointing? Or would it just remain in its current position on the screen?

There's no doubt being able to aim independently would technically be the superior method in terms of player performance. But to take away the option to play it just like in 64 and all other Star Fox games is just wrong

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Yes, you can disable the gyro aiming. I did it immediately and have played without it ever since launch day.
How have you been doing competitively? My kids pummel me when I'm sans gyro.

Red Devil

Isn't that because the game is structured as a Platinum game? I.e. your first playthrough is the tutorial etc. etc.

These games are designed for high scores and 100% runs. I don't know if it's going to satisfy those who are looking for an experience, it's about the act of play not cool stuff happening on the screen.

Star Fox 64 was meant to be replayed a bunch of times to get most of it, I suppose this is meant to mimic that.

watershed

Banned

I'd like to believe that, but I can't overlook the pervasive issues everyone has had with playing this game and my own impressions from watching videos, watching Nintendo explain the game/controls/ and everything else I've read/seen on it.

I'm wondering if there will be a post launch patch that addresses this?

I'm all for trying the gyro controls, but if they don't work, I'll be one sad Starfox fan...

Regiruler

So how will the Arwing aiming work with motion controls? When you're turning but you don't move around the Gamepad to aim, will the aiming reticle aim towards where the arwing is pointing? Or would it just remain in its current position on the screen?

There's no doubt being able to aim independently would technically be the superior method in terms of player performance. But to take away the option to play it just like in 64 and all other Star Fox games is just wrong
The former would make more sense from a logical perspective, but that would require aiming to be relative to position as opposed to being absolute like in kid icarus or S&P. Would be a pain to control.

Top Bottom