• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motion controls can't be entirely disabled in Star Fox Zero.

Hylian7

Gyro controls in Splatoon were great. They were also great in both Zelda 3DS games.

This is a Kid Icarus Uprising situation all over again, isn't? Where 90% of people don't like the controls because they aren't traditional and don't actually bother learning them before calling them bad.

Motion Controls worked great when I tried it at E3, really fun and precise. It does suck you can't disable them entirely but I'm certain motion controls are for the better in this game. Aiming with motion, especially when turning isn't involved, is almost always better than traditional movement.

Gyro controls in Splatoon were great. They were also great in both Zelda 3DS games.

This is a Kid Icarus Uprising situation all over again, isn't? Where 90% of people don't like the controls because they aren't traditional and don't actually bother learning them before calling them bad.

Most likely.

dity

From what I can tell you need to go between traditional controls and motion controls and it seems like a bother. All in all I can see myself twisting my body into weird shapes when I play this game.

Kid Icarus Uprising controls are a stinking turd and yes they could have properly implemented Circle Pad Pro controls for the game but purposefully didn't because that's how turdy the people designing the control scheme were. I mean, you need a bloody stand. A stand!

Kid Icarus Uprising controls are a stinking turd and yes they could have properly implemented Circle Pad Pro controls for the game but purposefully didn't because that's how turdy the people designing the control scheme were. I mean, you need a bloody stand. A stand!

You don't need the stand at all, in fact its better without it. The controls in KI: U are extremely fast, fluid and precise. There's certainly a divide but a big chunk of people on GAF see it as one of the best handheld games ever made, that isn't without reason.

dity

You don't need the stand at all, in fact its better without it. The controls in KI: U are extremely fast, fluid and precise. There's certainly a divide but a big chunk of people on GAF see it as one of the best handheld games ever made, that isn't without reason.

You don't need a stand, you just need to hold up the 3DS with one hand while using the circle pad and a bumper button while hovering over and stabbing at the touchscreen with the other and by golly that isn't a recipe for sore hands no no.

watershed

Banned
This was my biggest concern. I'm sad this game cannot be played like a classic Star Fox game. I wish Nintendo would give us the option. They've already tacitly acknowledged how difficult the controls are and pretty sure that's not a good thing.

Toxi

Banned
You mean "Fuck lefties: The game"? :p

watershed

Banned
Nintendo also confirmed that your teammates' voices only come through the gamepad during gameplay. You can't change the setting to tv speakers. I know a lot of people prefer to mute their gamepads so this kind of sucks. It sounds like there are just a series of weird/bad decisions.

jariw

Nintendo also confirmed that your teammates' voices only come through the gamepad during gameplay. You can't change the setting to tv speakers. I know a lot of people prefer to mute their gamepads so this kind of sucks. It sounds like there are just a series of weird/bad decisions.

Why is this weird? The cockpit view is the Gamepad by default, so it would only be logical to hear it there. It's no different than the Lego City: Undercover or Pikmin 3 phone calls.

I don't mind motion controls and motion sensor aiming. If the game's designed with it in mind, that's how I want to experience it anyway.

It's a shame there's not an option though.

Chastten

Banned
Well, that's dissapointing.

I like Splatoon because it's fun and all, but I've already accepted that I'll never really master those controls no matter how hard I try. Something just doesn't click.

Good?

The game is going to sink or swim based on the quality of its primary control scheme. If it sucks, it sucks.

I agree with this.

With the way the game looks graphically(decent but nothing spectacular), it HAS to have a hook or it's going to end up a dumbed down lesser version of 64.

It's a gamble but if they designed it this way, you should probably have to get used to the scheme.
Also agreed. I don't understand why they didn't design the game to have standard controls as an optional control scheme. Both Splatoon and 643D had options to pick one or the other, so for Zero to nuke the traditional method entirely is taking a huge step backwards, regardless of how good it may turn out to be.

For what is being marketed as a return to classic SF gameplay and also doubling as the first original entry for a IP in ten years, this is a incredibly ballsy move. Especially since experimental gameplay retools like this were responsible for the series getting put on ice in the first place.

Guys, controls aren't good if they cause actual harm. I love Kid Icarus but the controls were the reason I could only play in short bursts. The amount of damage it can do to your hand is crazy.

impact

Banned
Guys, controls aren't good if they cause actual harm. I love Kid Icarus but the controls were the reason I could only play in short bursts. The amount of damage it can do to your hand is crazy.

No you just haven't learned them because you are bad and Sakurai is good and wouldn't make bad controls ur bad [/nintendoambassador]

Weevilone

I don't understand how people think this is good. Having options is good, this is not. It's definitely a no-buy for me, just for this reason.

vermadas

I have no problem with gyro controls, it's if the game requires you to constantly look between two screens that could prove disastrous.

So long as your attention can be focused on the main screen then gyro controls to aim and stick to move could work very well with a bit of practice.

The issue is not with the motion controls. The issue is not even with two different sets of controls for direction and shooting. Splatoon showed that this can be done in a competent way. The issue is with the need to look at one screen for direction and use one set of controls and look at other screen for shooting and use the motion controls. And looking at the screen for targeting with the motion controls is essential. So you're practically driving a car forward while looking through the rear windows. Or you don't shoot, as several previewers did.

Yes, everything can be learned, but it doesn't make it better or fun.

This sums up my feelings. I learned to love the gyro controls in Splatoon, but I wasn't looking at the gamepad screen while I was aiming.

Does this game force you to look at the gamepad screen and simultaneously use the gyro controls? Stop for a second and try to imagine what that would be like; tilting the pitch and yaw of the screen while you're focusing on it. That sounds fucking awful.

televator

No you just haven't learned them because you are bad and Sakurai is good and wouldn't make bad controls ur bad [/nintendoambassador]

I said it in another thread, I'll say it again. With such unscrupulous fans, Nintendo hardly needs a marketing department. Anyone not towing the line for Nintendo is soon told what for by rabid fans who would celebrate Nintendo's genius even as Miyamoto would literally reach in your pocket and steal your wallet.

(I realize you were being ironic/sarcastic. I'm just sorta bolstering the point.)

RaidenXZ

I wasn't going to comment but man, you people really can't cut this game any slack what so ever. So what if you can't turn off motion controls. If the game is designed around the aspect of aiming with gyro then having the ability to play without it would ruin the experience and people would complain that the game is too hard and doesn't feel right when you play without the gyro aiming.

And they said there will be options to change the aiming so I would imagine there would probably be options to make it so you don't have to switch between the screens and it could delegate gyro aiming to the tv like Splatoon. And from watching some gameplay over on gamexplain, it does more or less look like classic star fox gameplay even if you don't want to use motion controls and would rather keep the gamepad perfectly still. It's still star fox just with the added precision of shooting and aiming at targets faster without needing to always fly towards danger and to get a better view of your surroundings (hence the z targeting in the boss, which is also optional since you don't have to target like that).

Now would I have liked the game to be more traditional in terms of control and star fox design (where the nose of the ship lines with the cursor)? Hell yes I would've, but in terms of control schemes, maybe give the game a chance or see the different options it actually does have before you go and say this game is terrible for controls you haven't even tried yet. If when you have tried it or they reveal the new options to change the control scheme, and it still doesn't gel with people, then we can raise pitch forks and torches at Miyamotos door. Sorry about that, rant over lol

Tl;Dr: Wait til it releases and you play it and see all the different options before you judge the controls please. It could be amazing for all we know.

Ogodei

As long as camera-centering works well, so that i'm not constantly holding the controller in an uncomfortable position to keep the aim steady.

Does this game force you to look at the gamepad screen and simultaneously use the gyro controls? Stop for a second and try to imagine what that would be like; tilting the pitch and yaw of the screen while you're focusing on it. That sounds fucking awful.

You definitely have the targeting reticule on screen, so i don't see why you couldn't just ignore the gamepad most of the time and follow the aim on the TV, except for more complex boss-fights like the one shown where you had to shoot at the shield generators.

jett

D-Member
get your gyro on

ps3lolbblover8fw5rs3hf.gif

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Yeah but people on GAF also love Deadly Premonition despite it being atrocious in everything it does from a gameplay perspective as well as a technical one, so GAF opinions are ones I take the smallest grain of sand.

I love Too Human though so maybe I'm the problem :O

I specifically went into Kid Icarus willing to play the game as I was actually excited for it.

Bro, the controls suck. They will give anyone a hand cramp after a while.

Junahu

They literally couldn't implement Circle Pad Pro controls, because the peripheral is a drain on the handheld's performance, and Kid Icarus Uprising was too far along in development at that point to spare any.

The controls are honestly fine, it's the weight and shape of the console that makes it uncomfortable when played with a standard grip. But there are a myriad ways to play the game comfortably, and the stand is just one of them.

That said, I think Gyro aiming would have been amazing for Kid Icarus Uprising, in conjunction with the face buttons for rough aiming/turning.

Gameplay doesnt look bad per se

Graphics are serviceable (eww)

Controls... well I havent played it but the fact that press are asking about disabling motion controls speaks to me a bit

Its just looking average at best so far

Emitan

So when is Nintendo going to make a gyro controller that isnt huge and heavy like the game pad so I can actually play this? Oh.

So when is Nintendo going to make a gyro controller that isnt huge and heavy like the game pad so I can actually play this? Oh.
I'm assuming this game is basically a worse version of playing Star Fox 643D with the gyro controls, but with better graphics.

Uprising was an interesting game underneath the controls though. This game basically only exists to be "Star Fox 54, Again", but with a revolutionary control scheme that validates Miyamoto's crazy gameplay ideas with the Wii U. And the control scheme is apparently bad!

I really hope the NX uses a more normal controller, at least in size, with gyro controls. Gyro is great, but it can get tiring with that brick of a gamepad.

This is a game that utilizes the Gamepad's unique features in tandem with each other, so it's no surprise there will be very little control customization options. It would be like having no motion controls in Skyward Sword, even though I'm sure many people would love this, the game wouldn't work as well since it's designed around that specific control scheme.

Diffense

The claims that it could be disabled never made sense to me given the explanations of the controls. I'm fine with gyro controls. It works fine in Splatoon.

Less of a reason for me to consider purchasing this now. I hated Splatoon's gyro controls and I'm sure I won't like this either. I have personally never liked gyro controls.

PMS341

I'm worried that when "precision" is key that it'll fall apart. Splatoon was just like flinging a paint bucket.

I'd disagree with this; as someone who plays a lot of PC FPS (or used to, I suppose), Splatoon is the most precise shooter I can think of on a console. The extra little bit of motion control lets you aim a lot smoother than using the sticks alone.

I'd disagree with this; as someone who plays a lot of PC FPS (or used to, I suppose), Splatoon is the most precise shooter I can think of on a console. The extra little bit of motion control lets you aim a lot smoother than using the sticks alone.

To be fair I have very little experience! So maybe you're on the money.

Top Bottom