• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

It didn't prompt me to the update neither when starting the game nor when going online, but then again I have the 1.01 update that was uploaded prematurely. What version is it now?

ChryZ

Philanthropist said:
It didn't prompt me to the update neither when starting the game nor when going online, but then again I have the 1.01 update that was uploaded prematurely. What version is it now?
http://vip.motorstorm.com/ms/portal

Headlines said:
MotorStorm®Pacific Rift Update (Version 1.01) Out Now!

02.18.2009 Taking MotorStorm Pacific Rift into 2009 we’re pleased to announce that the first major game update is available to download right now.

The update contains improvements and amendments to the game, and fixes for several issues reported by players from the community.

To find out exactly what’s in the update, and how to download it, click here.

Any reports on its size? I bet it's a different one because I never got to see the helmet icon when game saving.

Anyway, the MotorStorm portal advices not to delete the old update as it works fine and it could cause trouble with game saves if deleted.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I started playing this again on my new 42" and it looks stunning. On my last LCD it looked inferior or a little less detailed than the screen caps. On my new Plasma it looks as good if not better than what's being posted here.

Happy to see they're updating and fixing some of the annoying issues.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
CurlySaysX said:
is it possible to uninstall the leaked update so it can update to this new version?
Deleting the game data should do it. Not the save data though, just incase I'm misunderstood.

Madman

A ton of improvements in that update. Including this one: "In Photo Mode, the level of detail has been improved to ensure better quality pictures." :D

Goldrusher

5cdsmc.jpg

2mq98h4.jpg

Does anyone (sorry, I haven't read every post in this thread) have voice chat issues where it keeps cutting out when people are talking? It happens a lot when I play with friends. I don't have that problems in other games.

I did just download the patch and right away I backed up my datasave.

BoilersFan23 said:
Does anyone (sorry, I haven't read every post in this thread) have voice chat issues where it keeps cutting out when people are talking? It happens a lot when I play with friends. I don't have that problems in other games.

I did just download the patch and right away I backed up my datasave.
The patch supposedly fixed some of this and probably more will be fixed in patch #2.

Try it out again (I'll play online with you if you're down) and we'll see how the mics are working now.

Totobeni said:
no Square button as handbreak yet ( O for Handbreak is just wrong ) ..no controls alternatives ...meh patch
This is such an odd complaint. How often do you actually use the hand break? I just tap the actual brakes when I need to get around sharper turns. Anyway, they fixed a LOT more than listed on the blog - go check out the post on Motorstorm.com

Kolgar

You can now back up your save data for later restoration to the User Account it was created under (on any PS3 system, so you shouldn’t ever need to lose your personal progress).

FUCK YES! There goes my biggest complaint about the game. Now I can play on either of my PS3s--or my girlfriend's--instead of being locked down to the system in my bedroom.

And an enhanced photo mode? Evolution, you beautiful bastards!

ChryZ

BoilersFan23 said:
The blog post list of changes was seriously gimped. Here is the complete one:

What’s in the update?

The update contains improvements and amendments to the game, and fixes for several issues reported by players on the forum.

· The stability of the game has been improved (the source of many of the problems which would cause the game to ‘hang’ or ‘freeze’ have been eliminated).
· The Saved Data file is no longer copy protected (making it possible to back up Saved Data and restore it if it should become corrupt, and allowing the file to be moved to a different PLAYSTATION 3 (providing that the User Account the Saved Data is being transferred to is the same User Account that the file was created under originally)).
· An on-screen ‘MotorStorm Helmet’ icon is displayed whenever the game is making a critical save.
· The glitch which enables a player to exploit the Boost system is no longer present (the Leaderboards will also be sanitised).
· Any Time Attack times and online Rank information which have not been processed to the servers (due to a problem with the servers) will be processed systematically (as the problem has been resolved).
· Voice chat has been fixed when more than 4 players talk simultaneously online.
· The volume of the official Sony PS3 bluetooth microphone has been improved.
· In the Race Lobby screen, vehicles with light coloured liveries are more clearly visible.
· In the Race Lobby screen, the player’s chosen vehicle is displayed alongside their PlayStation®Network Online ID.
· When a player becomes the leader of a group, or the host of a custom game, the members of the group or Custom Game are informed as such.
· Maximum party sizes for Ranked Matchmaking has been increased to 12.
· During the matchmaking process, a timer is displayed to show how long it is taking to find a match.
· The online Rank system has received a slight balancing tweak.
· During the matchmaking process, the player’s Rank is now displayed.
· Rank icons show a number to make a player’s Rank more instantly recognisable.
· When selecting a vehicle in the Festival, the relevant track information is also displayed.
· In Eliminator events, eliminated vehicles will now emit fire and smoke to make them more easily identifiable.
· In the Festival and Free-Play modes, it is possible to pause the game before an event begins.
· In Time Attack, it is possible to toggle the current session ghost on and off.
· In Photo Mode, the level of detail has been improved to ensure better quality pictures.
· In split-screen multiplayer, the Boost gauge has been visually enhanced.
· The audio for the Monster Truck’s engine has been improved.
· Many of the track reset points have been revised and modified appropriately.
· If a controller becomes disconnected in a split-screen multiplayer game, the game will return to the "number of players" screen.
· Group Invites work correctly for a player while they are viewing the Ranked Leaderboards.
· In the Speed event “Dark Territory” on Mudslide, the track reset points have been improved.
· In the Speed event “Go With the Flow” on Razorback, the gate timings have been refined.
· In the Speed event “Go With the Flow” on Razorback, a collision problem has been improved.
· In the Festival, the on-screen display no longer flashes if ‘Start’ has been pressed before the race begins.
· In the Festival, a glitch which caused the medal requirements to remain on-screen as the event begins has been resolved.
· In the Festival, a glitch which caused the “Final Lap!” notification to malfunction has been fixed.
· In Time Attack, a glitch (which caused the “Paused” game-menu and on-screen display to stop working correctly) has been repaired.
· The navigational controls function correctly in the Player Stats screen.

ChryZ

PLATINUM GET! :D

Final thoughts:

-game critics who rated this game lower than its prequel should change their careers
-the sensation of speed is mind blowing and the driving model spot on
-the game is easy to pick up and hard to master, there is lots of hidden depth
-mastering the game is highly rewarding and satisfying
-MP is amazing, it took me quite a few races to reach the legend rank and the whole experience was rock solid (no lag, no glitches, etc)
-MP community is amazing, many very dedicated racers, highly skilled too but still good sports
-MP races full of rank4/5 players are sights to behold, SP rank6/7/8 is a walk in the park in comparison
-no rubber banding in MP, if you fuck up and they don't, then you're done
-the soundtrack was love on second sight, the amount of licensed music is crazy

I'm still not able to wrap my head around the fact that Evolution Studios managed to balance this monster: 8 vehicle classes, 18 tracks with all kinds of different routes ... but it all works like a charm. The game isn't flawless, especially the douchey AI can drive you nuts, but I'd easily give it a 9/10.

ChryZ said:
PLATINUM GET! :D

Final thoughts:

-game critics who rated this game lower than its prequel should change their careers
-the sensation of speed is mind blowing and the driving model spot on
-the game is easy to pick up and hard to master, there is lots of hidden depth
-mastering the game is highly rewarding and satisfying
-MP is amazing, it took me quite a few races to reach the legend rank and the whole experience was rock solid (no lag, no glitches, etc)
-MP community is amazing, many very dedicated racers, highly skilled too but still good sports
-MP races full of rank4/5 players are sights to behold, SP rank6/7/8 is a walk in the park in comparison
-no rubber banding in MP, if you fuck up and they don't, then you're done
-the soundtrack was love on second sight, the amount of licensed music is crazy

I'm still not able to wrap my head around the fact that Evolution Studios managed to balance this monster: 8 vehicle classes, 18 tracks with all kinds of different routes ... but it all works like a charm. The game isn't flawless, especially the douchey AI can drive you nuts, but I'd easily give it a 9/10.
Yeah, I saw how you got the Platinum. Yeah, the game is so much better than the first. The A.I. is honestly my only complaint about the game.

Speaking of the voicechat, I finally noticed it when I played online with friends earlier this week. I could finally hear everyone clearly and noticed much more talking online.

Congrats on the Platinum. :D

GodofWine

Oh sweet, the chat is patched, that was my big issue, I couldn't figure out my mic setup for the game..turns out it wasn't me afterall.

ChryZ

BoilersFan23 said:
Yeah, I saw how you got the Platinum. Yeah, the game is so much better than the first. The A.I. is honestly my only complaint about the game.

Speaking of the voicechat, I finally noticed it when I played online with friends earlier this week. I could finally hear everyone clearly and noticed much more talking online.

Congrats on the Platinum. :D

The AI is really the game's biggest issue and the tragedy: it's no issue at all, if you play the game the right way and it sorta fails to communicate its ways.

For example, I started to play SP, the rank1-6 races were so easy, the game gave me cool shit like cars/skins/etc, then I hit the brick wall (rank6/7/8), got annoyed, stopped playing the game, I guess many people stopped here all together.

I came back, tried time trials, MP, etc ... got new vehicles with better handling, learned new routes via MP and time trial. It enabled me to finish the rank7/8 races gold and it all came together.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so just updated to last patch ....

the control options is still stupid :C :C :C :C

one of them R2 and L2 for acceleration and Break O for HBreak , or X and Square for acceleration and Break and Square for Horn/Taunt , there is no R2 and L2 for acceleration and Break with Square for HBreak ...srsly this is killing me .

I just can't adjust myself to hit stupid O to do a fast 180 turns n boost or to save my ass from some wall , since every fucking other racing game I used to play this gen uses Square for HBreak ( GT5:p , MotorStorm 1 , Burnout Paradise , Full Auto 2 , Need For Speed ..ect ) .

I still still found myself holding stupid Square when I am going Straight to death at 200KM/H , and this is fucking pain and embarassing in online races .

so Evo ..fix this shit in your next patch , do it and Three Lions will win the 2010 cup

F#A#Oo

Banned
I just bought this game...

I have to say I'm so very disappointed at the minute...

The default controls feel very weird...the control and feel of the vehicles are horrible. It feels like I'm having to control a brick that is sliding around a stage...

I dunno...I really want to like this but the game is certainly not very inviting and at this point it makes me feel like quitting...:/ Also the rubber band A.I is worse then Mario Kart...and that says alot. This game makes me feel literally very much like I want to beat up on something and I am a very calm person in RL...but I want to literally tear shit apart... :(

I really like the soundtrack to the game though...:D

icechai

F#A#Oo said:

The default controls feel very weird...the control and feel of the vehicles are horrible. It feels like I'm having to control a brick that is sliding around a stage...

I dunno...I really want to like this but the game is certainly not very inviting and at this point it makes me feel like quitting...:/ Also the rubber band A.I is worse then Mario Kart...and that says alot. This game makes me feel literally very much like I want to beat up on something and I am a very calm person in RL...but I want to literally tear shit apart... :(

hmm i think i felt like this the first 2 races, then it just got a lot better. Definitely doesn't feel like driving a brick around, just look at what you're driving on and what bumps you hit. Once you get a sense of the tracks it gets a lot better, its definitely not forgiving like most racers. If you just got the game the rubber banding shouldn't be so noticeable, i'm halfway through it and once I get in the lead I pretty much stay in the lead unless I crash.

Barrett2

F#A#Oo said:

I felt like this game was basically the same experience I had with the first. You want to love the game, the visuals and track design are all great, but they just make it so hard to actually ENJOY the damn game. Things like rubberband AI and crashing into small shrubs just killed any enjoyment I had for the game. I sold it after a week just like the first.

I think Nick Suttner said it pretty well when he was at 1UP. This is very competent & polished, its just not fun. I think this is especially true now that I have played racers like Burnout Paradise. Racing games just don't have any excuse to not be fun without forcing you to yell in frustration every three minutes.

ChryZ

F#A#Oo said:

Sounds like you aren't very good (yet) and you blame the game.

F#A#Oo said:
Is there any DLC for this game btw? Can't seem to find any on PSN store...
No DLC so far, but it's coming ... I guess:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170961

F#A#Oo said:

Hello.

Just curious, are you playing in 1st person or 3rd person view?
3rd person view sucks donkey balls, the bonnet view is flawless though.
Also, use control set-up 2 with X as acceleration.
When taking sharp turns tilt the control in the direction that you're turning to avoid rolling or having to slow down.
Enjoy.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Wait...those announcements were made in October...and they mention "after christmas" we're now in March...:D

CurlySaysX said:
Hello.

Just curious, are you playing in 1st person or 3rd person view?
3rd person view sucks donkey balls, the bonnet view is flawless though.
Also, use control set-up 2 with X as acceleration.
When taking sharp turns tilt the control in the direction that you're turning to avoid rolling or having to slow down.
Enjoy.

Hey,

I am playing in 3rd person. As I like planning a route before hand. Since the stages are not that linear...I find I take different route depending on my line around the course. Sometimes I'll misjudge my turning and end up messing up entries into area's...

I'm trying to get use to set-up 1...though I will mess around and see which is more suitable. I've only played the game for a few hours so I'm still fairly rubbish. :D

Goldrusher

The only DLC this game needs is a patch to:

- make rank 7 & 8 easier
- get rid of the stupid "+1 -100 XP" online mode

Seriously, 99% of the players hits a big, thick concrete wall after rank 6. The game changes from a fairly fun racer to a mad Destruction Derby.

Online, if you win a race, your XP rises by 5 percent . Lose one against the wrong opponent and you might loose 50.
Its not unlikely you'll be winning races for a whole evening, only to get thrown back to square one for missing the podium just once.

ChryZ

Goldrusher said:
Online, if you win a race, your XP rises by 5 percent . Lose one against the wrong opponent and you might loose 50.
Its not unlikely you'll be winning races for a whole evening, only to get thrown back to square one for missing the podium just once.
I never experienced that. The most I lost when I totally fucked up was like 10% (incl not finishing the race). You should also mention that winning against higher ranked players will gain more %. I think the online ranking system is pretty fair.

General hints:

-don't boost before corners, waste
-don't boost in corners, waste
-don't lose momentum, try to maintain it
-do boost after sharp turns
-do boost long on straights
-do boost to escape crashes are smack downs
-short bursts of boost aren't as effective than longer bursts
-read the surface and pick a the best path according to your vehicle
-bikes hate mud, big rigs hate sharp turns, rally cars hate uneven surfaces
-the shortest path isn't always the fastest one
-time trial ghosts from the devs will usually give away decent routes
-be 1st place by the end of the first lap in rank8 races, else start over
-stay always in the top3 in rank8 races, else start over
-the rank8 AI and dev's time trials suck at cornering, taking turns tighter is key
-never crash in rank8 races
-always try different vehicles, they all handle differently
-read the vehicles: visible suspension = "smoother" ride, open roll cage = quicker cool down, etc
-online mode will also unlock cars, beating time trials ghosts too

icechai

arghh this thread coming back up got me on a break from kz2, still can't figure out whether its better to get a good line in sharp turns while tapping break or to slide over using handbreak...

Madman

F#A#Oo said:
Hey,

I am playing in 3rd person. As I like planning a route before hand. Since the stages are not that linear...I find I take different route depending on my line around the course. Sometimes I'll misjudge my turning and end up messing up entries into area's...

I'm trying to get use to set-up 1...though I will mess around and see which is more suitable. I've only played the game for a few hours so I'm still fairly rubbish. :D
You should switch to the other view. At least for starters. It's really hard to get the steering down if you don't. Also, avoid crashing. This may seem obvious, but slowing down to a crawl to avoid crashing is better then crashing itself. Playing this would come a lot easier if you had played 1, since the vehicles in that were even more loose when steering.

The biggest thing to avoid is getting into a rut of constantly crashing. This usually happens when you crash once, and feel the need to make up for lost time, which makes you drive poorly, which makes you crash again.

Starting with the free-play is also not a bad idea, since it lets you set up exactly what kind of race you want.

icechai said:
arghh this thread coming back up got me on a break from kz2, still can't figure out whether its better to get a good line in sharp turns while tapping break or to slide over using handbreak...

Right angled turns you should let the engine do the braking and tilt the controller whilst taking the turn - or also depending on vehicle and track you could boost whist turning to give you a bit of oversteer and good speed as you exit the turn.
Anything over 90º you should use hand brake and boost to quickly gain traction.
Brake only if you understeer and are about to hit a tree. :^)

Madman

Ranger X said:
Wow that's a nice patch. And there's DLC coming on top of that? Now that's really awesome.

One other thing that sort of goes along with the new update is a contest using the new photo mode. Basically, if you take a good enough photo, it will be featured in online loading screens with your PSN ID, and you will get a t-shirt. Here is the article about it.

alpha1

Banned
Thinking about getting this game so I'm wondering how the community is holding up. Are there lots of players online? Games easy to find? etc.

I'm a big wipeout fan but sadly wipeout hd's community has died. I can never find anybody to play with.

ChryZ

alpha1 said:
Thinking about getting this game so I'm wondering how the community is holding up. Are there lots of players online? Games easy to find? etc.

I'm a big wipeout fan but sadly wipeout hd's community has died. I can never find anybody to play with.
I retired from MS:pR, but it wasn't much of problem to find races online a month ago. There are many very dedicated players. Many of those reached the highest online rank and they're still playing the game on a regular basis. The match making is pretty good. It usually only takes like 30-90 seconds to find 12 player games. My experience is from playing in the EU timezone though (~18:00-24:00GMT). You can create your own party and join races together with your friends. Oh and this is one of the few PS3 titles that feature xmb game invites.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Why the hell is this game easier to drive in cockpit/driver points of view then third-person.

Everything changes...turning is easier...it looks and feel faster. :D

I'm enjoying the game but discovering this has been like an eye opener...

Puck

Banned
Rebought the game for a low low price and it is awesomer than when I got it at launch.

Really loving the different environments, the game is beautiful

Proc

Puck said:
Rebought the game for a low low price and it is awesomer than when I got it at launch.

Really loving the different environments, the game is beautiful

Yeah I bought mine for $39 today and just popped it in now.

I was having so much fun that I found myself smiling more times than not. I find this game to be genuine fun. I love the new little buggy, the animations while riding it are awesome; it really adds to the road rash vibe that was already there. The new colour palette does wonders for the environments as well. The sound is unbelievable as well. Its just such a tight experience, much more-so than the original (the ability to start a race almost instantly helps out a lot). This game is going to get lots of attention from me.

sun-drop

any word on DLC map packs for E3?

just love this game.

has garnett played it yet? it got all excited about excitebots ... play tHIS!

Puck

Banned
sun-drop said:
has garnett played it yet? it got all excited about excitebots ... play tHIS!
Yeah it's weird. The general press seems to be 'meh' about this game, when it is actually pure sex. Most people will pass it off and consider it on the same level as Pure/Baja/other shitty racing games, but once you play it, you realize the MS2 is far ahead of this games.

Top Bottom