• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Ranger X

Goldrusher said:

For real? the fuck? Looks like I need to play more. I only played the online mode and a couple of offline races so far. I didn't notice the difference in stats outside the car categories of course. In the first game all the cars in the same category were identical.

GodofWine

Goldrusher said:

I agree...very slight handling differences in some classes, especially rally cars...or its all placebo...but I think its real.

I had up to level 7 unlocked until I lost all my data...its no fun playing through a second time when you are an online junky.

Ranger X

GodofWine said:
I agree...very slight handling differences in some classes, especially rally cars...or its all placebo...but I think its real.

I had up to level 7 unlocked until I lost all my data...its no fun playing through a second time when you are an online junky.

Is there a difference in the stats? If not i'm sure it's placebo just like the first Motorstorm.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Goldrusher said:

GodofWine said:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU , fo real ?

i didn't change any model of any type , hell ...need to do it tonight

somehow I blame SCEA on this >:[

GodofWine

Ranger X said:
Is there a difference in the stats? If not i'm sure it's placebo just like the first Motorstorm.

No, but I swear the 'rally car' that looks like a 1950's sedan handles like total shit cause it rides so low, and the little race car one sucks too...I swear there is a difference in the 'ride quality'...or amount of cup holders....SOMETHING IS DIFFERENT. :D

Ranger X

So it's not science at all there. If they do with telling you the cars are having the same stats, I don't see why they would actually lie and make them different.

I call PLACEBO
. It's easy to get fooled visually because of the car and maybe its impact on the camera stand point.

womfalcs3

Banned
I'm pretty sure there are differences. A monster truck can go through debris easily, while a smaller vehicle can't. So there are mass differences for sure.

As to handling, the mass differences affect momentum and inertia, so there are differences there too.

bizatch

Well if the car looks differently, I'm sure it will ride a bit different. It is a physics based racing game, so while the acceleration/handling/whatever might be the same, I'm sure a lower rally car would have more trouble on bumpy terrain than a higher one.

Just my 2 cents. I dunno if that's actually true as I havent touched my copy of MS:pR in a while. You guys still playing out there in gafland?

For the people who have the game, does it look better than the first MotorStorm ? I think MotorStorm is the game I went out and bought a 50' HDTV for, I have played the demo but I am just not WOWed by the graphics ...

bizatch

Unregistered007 said:
For the people who have the game, does it look better than the first MotorStorm ? I think MotorStorm is the game I went out and bought a 50' HDTV for, I have played the demo but I am just not WOWed by the graphics ...

I think it looks a lot better. I know there have been some complaints about the graphics, but personally, I think they top motorstorm by a lot. Its the little things like the bushes bending, the water, the increased details on cars. All these small things add up to make a beautiful picture....atleast when I played this game at launch :lol

Unregistered007 said:

There were lots of comments about the demo having slightly inferior graphics, which I was never convinced by on my old SD TV, but it is certainly one of the worst tracks visually.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Unregistered007 said:
The demo is an old build. The retail version looks fantastic, especially the lighting.

Also, what a great time to get back into this game. Free DLC! :D

Goldrusher

Unregistered007 said:

2mq98h4.jpg

5cdsmc.jpg

107lx05.jpg

2i85jm.jpg

10cqo76.jpg

2yl90d4.jpg

MSPR_KolgarX_10.jpg

wl39mp.jpg

If that doesn't WOW you, especially in motion on the 50", I don't know what will.

The demo tracks - be sure to check out the second demo ! - are rather simple graphically, none really show off the tropical aspect of Pacific Rift.
The first one only has rocks and dirt, the second one is better, with a lot more vegetation, mud and a waterfall and a river, which is part of the track.

But the full game has tracks around lava, through a volcano crater, through an old village, a military base / airport, along the beach, through rivers, an old sugar factory, through canyons, alongside rivers, through mud streams, etc. etc.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Fuck Sugar Rush so hard. Terrible terrible track.

Every track that's not Sugar Rush>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sugar Rush.

Orobi

Unregistered007 said:

Yup! It's a lot better! From a graphic point, MSPR is the best racing game of this gen.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
womfalcs3 said:
I'm pretty sure there are differences. A monster truck can go through debris easily, while a smaller vehicle can't. So there are mass differences for sure.

As to handling, the mass differences affect momentum and inertia, so there are differences there too.

I think we are talking the about the performance differences in different models of vehicles from the same type/genre .

the old Rally car and the Rally car with huge wing for example , is there a huge performance differences between the cars in the same category .

Unregistered007 said:

One of the best looking games this gen imo. The demo track doesn't look any different in the full version to me. That track isn't much to look at. Some of the others....wow. It's a much better game than the first.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Bearillusion said:
One of the best looking games this gen imo. The demo track doesn't look any different in the full version to me. That track isn't much to look at. Some of the others....wow. It's a much better game than the first.

they changed the old demo on PSstore , no ?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My mind is really blown at some of these level designs. The sugar plantation level is so awesome.

I can grab it from GameFly for 30 bucks. What a steal!

spyshagg said:
taken by myself ! I have more if you wanna see

Just curious, but how did you take those? They look amazing.

Glad to see the official thread is still going. I just got the game on Sunday. Small story about that. Picked it up from Best Buy, noticed the plastic wrap was ripped a little but thought nothing of it. Opened it up the next day and realized the game wasn't even in the case. Luckily they took it back no questions asked.

But anyways, this game is so much fun (as you all know :p). When I first saw the footage of the game I didn't think it looked as good as the first MS but this one in motion when I'm playing it is just insane. I can't stop playing it. So glad I finally got it. :lol

BeeDog

Dibbz said:
How did you manage Depth of Field in the first shot there?

:lol It's not DOF, it's just a blurry grass texture right in front of the camera. Goldrusher, please take more pics. <3

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed

I always drop the field of view (R2 I think) to the minimum and search for the best angles.

I have some really amazing ones yet to export from the ps3. Those I posted were the first two races I had after I found the photo option lol :lol You can see those races were with clouds.

tomorrow I'll export the rest of them, the ones in the sun (really amazing ones)

Keikoku

Banned
I just tried the rank 8 races with my new "real triggers" and I think that I will never finish this game and this makes me sad :(

Keikoku said:
I just tried the rank 8 races with my new "real triggers" and I think that I will never finish this game and this makes me sad :(

Yeah, it gets very tough and I've sometimes felt the way you are feeling. BUT. I've learned to just race without over boosting against the tougher AI. Never hold it for more than a couple seconds until the last stretch before the finish line. You'll always catch up to the top of the pack by the halfway mark of the last lap so don't try boosting and fighting your way until then. That's what I've learned at least... Hopefully it helps you.

It's like the game "decides" when you can get close to the front. Also, no crashing and choosing the right path helps a ton.

....Oh and if you're having particular trouble with a certain vehicle ona certain track and can't seem to catch up to the rest, just go to time attack and choose the developers' ghosts and follow exactly what they do. It helped when I was a monster truck against a bunch of bikes and buggies :D

Keikoku

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Yeah, it gets very tough and I've sometimes felt the way you are feeling. BUT. I've learned to just race without over boosting against the tougher AI. Never hold it for more than a couple seconds until the last stretch before the finish line. You'll always catch up to the top of the pack by the halfway mark of the last lap so don't try boosting and fighting your way until then. That's what I've learned at least... Hopefully it helps you.

It's like the game "decides" when you can get close to the front. Also, no crashing and choosing the right path helps a ton.

....Oh and if you're having particular trouble with a certain vehicle ona certain track and can't seem to catch up to the rest, just go to time attack and choose the developers' ghosts and follow exactly what they do. It helped when I was a monster truck against a bunch of bikes and buggies :D

Thanks for the advices dude I will try all that stuff soon or later.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I'm really enjoying my time with this game...

I do have one question...will we be recieving other DLC apart from this livery stuff?

New tracks? New events? New types of races?

Keikoku said:
I downloaded the DLC and I can't found the new skin. Is this a 4x4 ?

Yeah it's hard to find. But you can go to your garage and it lists what you have. I guess you need to really squint at the pics they provide and try to guess which class of which car the skin is available for lol.

Top Bottom