• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm RC |OT|

Reminds me of RC Pro AM. Played the crap out of that back in the day on NES.

I guess the lack of online multiplayer is the reason for the price. I'll bite though.

Coins

Banned
This makes me melt on the inside. It's like RC Pro Am all grown up.

I'm 12 and my body is ready. Let's get some pizza, feed it to keyboard cat and ly down in anticipation.

Does the game have online multiplayer, or just leaderboards as I remember reading?

Local multi, online is leaderboards and ghosts. I think it'll be awesome regardless. You never know, though...if it does well, we might get it patched in or have it as DLC (which might sound heinous if it didn't cost so little. I'm all for track packs and the like with this one).

itsgreen

It is that I don't have a place for the Vita at the moment , but this is a pretty good deal! If I had a Vita I would definitely purchased it!

i-Lo

At that price? Sold.

Also I really hope Sony's first party keeps on going with pairing two versions of a game whenever they can for enhancing cross-platform mutliplayer (or even single player with "transfarring" of save file from cloud).

Off topic: I deeply wish for FFX to do the same thing, one copy two platforms and identical trophies.

BeeDog

I'm actually really surprised at these reviews. The demo I tried was really underwhelming. Bad graphics and basic gameplay.

Say it ain't so :( I really love all MotorStorm games so far (especially Apocalypse), so I feel I can't really go wrong with this cheap downloadable game even if it sucks.

Say it ain't so :( I really love all MotorStorm games so far (especially Apocalypse), so I feel I can't really go wrong with this cheap downloadable game even if it sucks.

If it's any consolation, the videos of the PS3 version I've seen look alot better :p, but the Vita version looked bad, even for a Vita game.

Game's up in EU store, have been playing PS3 version and look forward to playing Vita version tomorrow! There's an alternate control scheme that is Micro Maniacs rather than machines btw

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've had the last week to gloat about my FEB but this is one of the few things I will be waiting on (alongside Stardust as I have to wait a month or less for the voucher code).

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yep. Lot more games have that nowadays. Either play to unlock everything or pay up front if you want everything open from the start. Its good for some games where you will just play with friends, so you want the most options right away.

Greyvvolf

This sounds interesting, from the God is a Geek review:
Motorstorm RC is a social experience too. There is a hub world – a playground – where you can just explore your vehicles and relax whilst you tear around, jumping and trying to nudge a football past a mechanical goalkeeper. All the while there is a ticker in the upper left of the screen telling you who has beaten your time, but should you wish to challenge them, all you need to do is hold the X button down and you’ll be taken straight to the race.
I just know I'm going to be wasting many hours here.

wouwie

Just did my first couple of laps and first impressions are positive (more positive than i expected from footage i had seen). I'm playing on PS3. Graphics are servicable (not the best though) and smooth, controls take a bit of getting used to but i'm adopting quite fast. Menu layout and navigating seems a bit more complicated than it should have been.

But the gameplay definately clicks with me. If the tracks are varied enough, then i can see this becoming quite addictive.

Is drifting introduced later in the game? First cars don't drift in corners but that one rally car in the tutorial did. Or is it dependant on the car?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Man this game is 7 shades of awesome! A real homage to Championship Sprint and Ivan Stewarts Super Off Road! Such a bargain.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Whoa, I just watched the first gameplay video of this.

Looks great. A nice arcade quick racer. I am sure I will have to get used to the camera angle/driving model, as I was expecting something more like Re-volt than on overhead racer type.

I do like the social integration and actionable popups to jump to races, I hope we see more like that in other games and on PS3 in general, even at XMB level.

tahsutify

Did anyone play this on Vita? How does it look? I don't care how it looks on PS3. It seems it is better suited for Vita from what I have seen.

peetfeet

You telling me you didn't research this? It's been known since a while back. Now take some screenshots for the capture thread!

Nah, cheap as chips, looked at the screens, remembered Super Off Road, and bought. The very least they could have had was custom soundtrack tho :(

(talking about PS3 version btw)

Just did my first couple of laps and first impressions are positive (more positive than i expected from footage i had seen). I'm playing on PS3. Graphics are servicable (not the best though) and smooth, controls take a bit of getting used to but i'm adopting quite fast. Menu layout and navigating seems a bit more complicated than it should have been.

But the gameplay definately clicks with me. If the tracks are varied enough, then i can see this becoming quite addictive.

Is drifting introduced later in the game? First cars don't drift in corners but that one rally car in the tutorial did. Or is it dependant on the car?

Yeah, depends on car/surface.

So, there's quite a lot to this game. Been playing for a bit, got something close to 40 medals (out of 134?) and seen quite a few tracks now. The tracks definitely get better later in terms of visuals, you actually get dusk and dawn type lighting like in the big Motorstorms, and like its big brethren, it does make them look a lot nicer. And there are some neat light effects from festive colored lights to laser-shows. Bottom line, on the PS3 at least, the game looks a lot nicer than I expected. No idea yet what the Vita version will be like, but I'll have them side by side tomorrow hopefully and if the graphics are mostly identical then some levels could look pretty great on that screen.

Types of racing is overtaking (usually have to overtake 10 as quick as possible), time trials, and races (8 player). It's cool you can see your own best time as well as the target times in all types. Races unlock much like Pacific Rift - get enough medals, and one of the four zones will unlock more races. About 25% in, I'm already struggling to get golds, and sometimes even bronze - have to definitely learn the tracks, and can't just full-throttle through everything. Some tracks can have you turn your car around pretty easily and ruin your chances of winning, so have to be careful here and there.

Actual driving is pretty good. Have to get used to the camera a bit, but it's part of learning the track and there are four different camera modes (haven't tried them, just the default one). I currently drive traditional RC controls, but looks like point controls (alternative controls) may be easier. It's great that they are there for the split-screen multiplayer, as that will make it more accessible for others.

I had no friends yet playing, so instead I get constant updates of random people online beating the crap out of my times. Great. ;)

The playground seems fun to mess around in. More impressions later.

EDIT: PS3 version supports custom soundtracks (the press ps-button / play anything variety)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nah, cheap as chips, looked at the screens, remembered Super Off Road, and bought. The very least they could have had was custom soundtrack tho :(

(talking about PS3 version btw)

Oh yes haha

I will be playing it on Vita so expect screen shots as soon as I get it. I'm sure others will post some though (I hope). And Vita does have universal custom soundtrack support so that's a nice thing for that version.

Dreamer RD

Too bad there is no online multiplayer. Not very impressed but I think it's fun to play with friends. Anyway captured some gameplay from PS3 ver.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
One of the Gold trophies (Wiped Out) says to beat a certain time on an event called 'Wipeout'. I looked through them all and none are called Wipeout unless it's in Wreckreation (didn't look in there, just Festival).

JebusF

Neo Member
Friend sent me a message "I've beaten one of your times"

Five minutes later "No. No, you haven't".

...and that is why I love this game.

Top Bottom