• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Move over Master Chief, Xbox has a new mascot

Could Master Chief be replaced as Xbox's mascot?

• Yes

Votes: 61 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 99 61.9%

• Total voters
Ever since the beginning of Xbox master chief has always been synonymous with the brand, but as mass culture moved away from the brooding, gruff guy, Master chief often feels like a relic of the past. At the perfect time Xbox drops hifi rush to great success along with easy to identify characters who master the balance of being nostalgic but also contemporary, by making Chai and 808 as their mascot Microsoft has a face to put to the brand something they never had outside of The Chief...Sony has Sly, Ratchet, Astrobot, Kratos and so much more, the variety is something Xbox has yet to achive, Chai is a start in the right direction more so fitting their more light hearted style of marketing they are currently going with. Put the rockstar in the spotlight, he's ready.

Hi-Fi-Rush-Chai-808.jpg

ShadowLag

They'll use him in their cringy montage marketing videos with terrible music because the game made a lot of money, but Chief will still always be the last shot in those trailers.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I feel like the whole sole mascot that has been dead for a long time. I frequently miss it, but it is what it is.

So, why not just include that character/IP into marketing materials with all of your other big characters/IPs? PlayStation has been doing that for years.

Are mascots still a thing?
Iconic characters are still iconic. They're not so much "console mascots." When PS does their little imitation Marvel opening before every 1st party game and flashes 1 second of Kratos' face, Spider Man, etc. they are flashing brand icon characters. All he's saying is this is a rare iconic character for MS, and it's true.

Who would you put in Smash from MS 1st party? Master Chief, Banjo, Conker. That's about it. Here's a 4th.

DaGwaphics

Are mascots still a thing? To me it was Mario and Sonic for Nintendo and SEGA in the 80s/90s, but Xbox or PlayStation in my opinion never had that one iconic mascot.

Crash filled that role at the time for Sony, the Crash character featured in a lot of their ads and marketing in the mid-late 90s.

Ogbert

It’s should actually be Ori.

If Nintendo or Sony had released Will of the Wisps it would have been eulogised to heaven. Absolute stone cold classic.

Greatest Metroidvania ever, greatest soundtrack ever. Ridiculously good game.

Kikorin

Closer Xbox has been to have a new mascotte after/with Master Chief was Marcus Fenix, then they decided to kill him in favour of a bunch of random characters with zero charisma.

Now if I think at Xbox, I think about the Forza series as "mascotte". Maybe if they'll grow Hi-Fi Rush as a series properly, in future could become a recognizable face of Xbox, but since is an action game will be difficult. Sony did it well with Kratos, but it gained lot of popularity when the action genre was still pretty popular in PS2 era, and "rebooted" it in a good way as a blockbuster game after the PS3 era.

Jennings

Master Chief could and should absolutely be replaced. But as much as I love Hi-Fi Rush, that dude and his game ain't got the chops to carry the brand.

What we need is a AAAA Godzilla game and he can be the mascot.

Top Bottom