• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

see5harp

Hmm. Might send help a message. It has been like the picture above all week. I can buy normal tickets no problem, but if I try to get a reserved seating, just that picture above.

Yea it worked perfectly for me. It might be an issue with that particular theater because I'm assuming their system has to interface with movie pass's servers to reserve and be able to know which seats are taken.

I've tried to sign up on the website every day since this thread started and no matter what browser I use nothing happens when I click "NEXT" on the email / pw / first name / last name sign-up screen.

WHAT GIVE

see5harp

Kinda absurd here in ca. The ticket printed and it said $12. So they are already in the hole and i haven't even gotten my debit card.

jts

...hate me...
Kinda absurd here in ca. The ticket printed and it said $12. So they are already in the hole and i haven't even gotten my debit card.
They will lose money from people that would be going to the movies anyway, in hopes to get additional money from people that wouldn't be going to the movies otherwise.

FyreWulff

The whole thing is spending VC money to try and get a big enough customer list to negotiate deals with the theaters and make their profit that way

kaskade

Wonder if some of us will start seeing some cards come in on Monday? There’s a few movies I want to see at this point so I hope so.

The phone app shows no theaters in Miami. No matter what I do nothing shows up.

We have no e-ticket compatible theatres. If you get with ~100 yards of on and open the app it'll show up. Problem of course is that we need the cards being sent to us in order to get the free tickets.

Go to locations in the app and change zip code to 75001 and you should see theatres pop up on the map since they are e-ticket compatible so you can buy them long distance.

They seemed to have added a restrictions screen at the bottom of signup that now says

You can see one movie every day.
You can see each movie one time.
You can see only standard 2D screenings.

So no going to see Star Wars 8 I guess every day for a month... if the service is even running still then. I can definitely confirm with e-tickets you CANNOT buy a second ticket again for the same movie at a later date.

Re: "I don't see theaters around me", you won't until you get your moviepass card. You can see a list of theaters that should work here
https://coryjb.github.io/moviepass/

STANDARD = need MoviePass card
SELECT_SEATING = you can use the app right away and get e-tickets

D23

They seemed to have added a restrictions screen at the bottom of signup that now says

So no going to see Star Wars 8 I guess every day for a month... if the service is even running still then. I can definitely confirm with e-tickets you CANNOT buy a second ticket again for the same movie at a later date.

Re: "I don't see theaters around me", you won't until you get your moviepass card. You can see a list of theaters that should work here

thx for the link

Unison

sorry if anyone already asked, but does this work for like those fake imax screens like RPX at AMC?

Generally, it does not.

I've gotten around this in the past by buying a ticket to something else, running the moviepass for the price of a normal ticket and paying the surcharge in cash, but ymmv.

kaskade

I wonder if the transaction says what movie was purchased? Or does it just say the theaters name? I know it’s a little unethical but I’m sure you could just say you are going to see some movie you never would care to see around the same time and buy a ticket for the movie you want to see again. Or just buy a ticket for the other film and go into the theater for the movie you want to see.

RetroMG

So I finally got signed up, and now there are no theaters listed. They were listed on the other site, so I assume that it is just that the app is borked.

Edit: never mind. I just read the post up above.

gatti-man

Enjoy this while it lasts. Investor talk is that this is just to expand heir user base and then up the price. The idea that they will be able to blackmail or force studios to lower prices is unlikely as major studios are already contemplating no accepting the subscription or even suing movie pass.

I really don't get it because I would think cinemas would benefit from the added traffic but that's the facts.

Edit: and it does not cover premium tickets (liemax/IMAX/luxury seating etc)

major studios are already contemplating no accepting the subscription or even suing movie pass.
Which major studios? The only news I’ve read was already covered here, how the AMC theater chain claims to be looking into how they can block it, but they haven’t threatened any lawsuits. And there really isn’t any reasonable way a theater chain can block this, since it’s just a credit card, except by telling their ticket takers to not accept a credit card that says “MoviePass” on it (which unless they stop taking that brand of credit card completely, would be useless since you can just go to the kiosk).

LycanXIII

I'm finding the Android app to be a pain in the ass.

Edit: Cool. Finally get logged in, account created, it charges me, then says there are no theaters found near me.

Edit2: Reading through the thread, I need to wait for my card and then be at the theater for them to show up. It'd be nice if the map just showed accepted theaters, eticket or not. These consumer made ones are showing theaters that closed over a year ago, so I can't trust those.

vulva

Funny enough, last night was my easiest check in in over a year. They must have ramped up their servers because everything loaded up lightning fast for me.

gatti-man

Which major studios? The only news I've read was already covered here, how the AMC theater chain claims to be looking into how they can block it, but they haven't threatened any lawsuits. And there really isn't any reasonable way a theater chain can block this, since it's just a credit card, except by telling their ticket takers to not accept a credit card that says ”MoviePass" on it (which unless they stop taking that brand of credit card completely, would be useless since you can just go to the kiosk).

My bad I meant major theaters. AMC and Regal both are on record as not approving of movie pass.

Actually blocking movie pass accounts would be pretty easy just block the range of acct numbers via software. AMC is the biggest chain regal is 2nd so if they block movie pass it would be pretty bad.

However the reason I even stated that is the likelyhood of movie pass staying cheap and passing the costs on to theaters is pretty much zero. Two things will happen, either the cost will increase by double and quickly or movie pass will cease to exist. Theater chains won't pick up the cost. In fact AMC already toyed with this idea with movie pass in the past and it didn't work out.

I will!

It covers Dolby Atmos and luxury seating here!

According to their website it doesn't cover any premium pricing so if they are making you pay for it movie pass won't cover it.

Actually blocking movie pass accounts would be pretty easy just block the range of acct numbers via software. AMC is the biggest chain regal is 2nd so if they block movie pass it would be pretty bad.

They can't do that, MoviePass uses Mastercard debit cards as their payment system. AMC can't just block a range of MC cards, that is against their terms with mastercard. They would have to block all mastercards or accept them. They could try to strike a deal with Mastercard to kick MoviePass off its system too I guess.

Its more likely they will try to file a lawsuit to force MoviePass to remove AMC theaters from their list of allowed theaters for ??? legal reasons, and thats gonna take a while to wind through courts.

CyReN

https://mobile.twitter.com/MoviePass/status/898570207601360901

There seems to be confusion, even from them, on if you can see the same movie twice or not. I guess I will find out once I have my card.

I tested it and you can't with the app yet

C4aGWBe.jpg

I'm having the weirdest issues with e-tickets right now, I can use it at another chain no problems (I used it to test Nut Job since I will never see it) but can't at my local chain that takes it. I tried reaching out to MoviePass customer service each day but got nothing so far.

Aselith

Just buy a ticket for something else and go to that

Nydius

They will lose money from people that would be going to the movies anyway, in hopes to get additional money from people that wouldn't be going to the movies otherwise.

Reading the post-price slashing interviews with CEO Mitch Lowe, he admits the plan is to hope they get enough people signed up in "cheaper" areas where tickets are $7 or less to offset the losses they'll incur.

"They don't understand our business model," Lowe told the trade. "Even active moviegoers had to think is $14.95 really worth it? At $9.95, even people who rarely go say I'd be crazy not to do that. We need to offset costs in Manhattan and L.A. by getting a lot of people in Kansas City and Omaha, and places where the average ticket price is five or six bucks to sign up."

As much as I hate to admit it, AMC is right that this model is unsustainable for MoviePass. It currently costs me $10.50 for a single 2D, no-frills, adult ticket. To offset this $1.55 loss, Moviepass needs a similar subscriber in the midwest who only sees one movie where the ticket is 8.45 or less. If I decide to see a movie every weekend, they have to hope that similar subscriber in the midwest does as well - or they will need MULTIPLE subscribers to subsidize my trips. And people crazy enough to see two or three movies a week, every week? There's almost NO chance they'll recoup the losses on those subscribers.

I can't even see them breaking even. I highly doubt anyone in this massive influx of new signups will sit on their subscription and not go to the movies in a given month. With the average movie ticket price being around $8.65, the only way they could possibly come close to breaking even is limiting people to one movie per month - and they'd still need massive adoption rates.

skybald

As much as I hate to admit it, AMC is right that this model is unsustainable for MoviePass. It currently costs me $10.50 for a single 2D, no-frills, adult ticket. To offset this $1.55 loss, Moviepass needs a similar subscriber in the midwest who only sees one movie where the ticket is 8.45 or less. If I decide to see a movie every weekend, they have to hope that similar subscriber in the midwest does as well - or they will need MULTIPLE subscribers to subsidize my trips. And people crazy enough to see two or three movies a week, every week? There's almost NO chance they'll recoup the losses on those subscribers.

I can't even see them breaking even. I highly doubt anyone in this massive influx of new signups will sit on their subscription and not go to the movies in a given month. With the average movie ticket price being around $8.65, the only way they could possibly come close to breaking even is limiting people to one movie per month - and they'd still need massive adoption rates.

Get in while the gettin's good

That is all I can say. At worst, MoviePass raises the price in the future and you cancel if it is not a good value propositiom for you anymore.

Reading the post-price slashing interviews with CEO Mitch Lowe, he admits the plan is to hope they get enough people signed up in "cheaper" areas where tickets are $7 or less to offset the losses they'll incur.

That hope is just so that they're not burning through money too fast at first. Their actual hope (and part of this is why a data company bought half their shares) is that they can either get enough users to either cut a deal with theater chains for reduced ticket prices, or they can get enough data from/about their users to actually be able to sell it to people (whether it be the theaters, the movie studios, general marketers, whomever).

see5harp

Even at $15 I would consider keeping the service based on my experience yesterday night. I think places like movie studio grill benefit the most from a deal like this which is why they even allow the e ticketing. Last night I spent $12 for a popcorn and soda. With alcohol and food options it's no secret that they stand to bring a ton of customers in. No way they are making money on movies alone with all of that staff, alcohol licenses, etc.

According to their website it doesn't cover any premium pricing so if they are making you pay for it movie pass won't cover it.

There's no upcharge for Atmos or premium seating in Cincinnati. The only upcharge is for 3D and LIEMAX (we don't have a real IMAX). I don't go to 3D or LIEMAX screenings so MoviePass literally covers 100% of all screenings in all auditoriums that I would ever go see.

Even if AMC manages to block this, they don't have any exclusive screenings here so that's not really a concern to me either.

Is there any way to check if your card order actually went through? I did mine several days ago and it seemed to work, but I just want to make sure.

Kusagari

MoviePass seems like it would make people far more likely to buy overpriced concession food. Which is how they make money anyway.

Not sure why theaters are opposing it.

Meowster

Still waiting for my card but I just wanted some clarification since the app isn't showing any showtimes of the movies and the theaters (though the posts above show that several theaters nearby should work with it) - do I have to "preorder" a ticket through the app or do I just show up to the theater with my card and it'll work on any movie I choose?

Baleoce

Don't think we have a UK equivalent at that price bracket, damn. ODEON Limitless is abit out of my price range, and it ties you to a year minimum term lol

kaskade

Still waiting for my card but I just wanted some clarification since the app isn't showing any showtimes of the movies and the theaters (though the posts above show that several theaters nearby should work with it) - do I have to "preorder" a ticket through the app or do I just show up to the theater with my card and it'll work on any movie I choose?

When you get close to a theater it’ll allow you to “order” the ticket. Then it’ll authorize the card for the purchase (think it’s about 30 minutes) and you can use the card to buy the movie.

Top Bottom