• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

I’m in the center of Manhattan and no theatre shows up, has to be a glitch

I THINK only theaters that have eticketing with movie pass will show up, unless you are actually near the theater (think someone said within 100 yards away). You have to have your card for these theaters also. The app won't start without location services on on your phone, so it knows you are actually at that theater.

Dante316

If you change your zip code to 75001 in the app (location) and then you see a list of theaters but don't see a list of theaters for your zip code, it means your zip code doesn't have any theaters that do e-ticketing.

MoviePass e-ticketing has nothing to do at all with regular theater e-ticketing, its their own custom version of it that only a handful of theaters nationwide support - a few in Dallas, a few in Arizona, and a few in Florida is all as far as I can tell.

Without e-ticketing you need to wait for the MoviePass debit card to be mailed to you.

This would explain alot. Guess have to wait.

If you change your zip code to 75001 in the app (location) and then you see a list of theaters but don't see a list of theaters for your zip code, it means your zip code doesn't have any theaters that do e-ticketing.

MoviePass e-ticketing has nothing to do at all with regular theater e-ticketing, its their own custom version of it that only a handful of theaters nationwide support - a few in Dallas, a few in Arizona, and a few in Florida is all as far as I can tell.

Without e-ticketing you need to wait for the MoviePass debit card to be mailed to you.

Tons of theaters in Michigan(MJR) are e-ticketing.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Damn, I see them for zip code 75001 but not mine. Come on, Nashville!

sensui-tomo

Guessing you need to have the card to do e-ticket or is anyone else having problems getting a e-ticket? It gets me to the pick a seat option and then says failure to redeem e-ticket

Guessing you need to have the card to do e-ticket or is anyone else having problems getting a e-ticket? It gets me to the pick a seat option and then says failure to redeem e-ticket

You don't need the card for e-tickets. But, reserved seating appears to be broken. You are making it further than me if you are getting an error there. I can't even select a seat. All it shows me is the screen.

And how do you figure out which theater supports e-ticketing?

Pretty sure only theaters that support e-ticketing show up in the app until you have a card.

If you are getting nothing, you likely don't have any near you. (or the app is currently borked) Only two theaters show in my app right now. Both support e-ticking. When I first got the page to load, I got a pop up saying if I wanted to see more theaters, I needed a card.

e-ticketing worked for me, however the theater I tried it at did not have assigned seats. I got an error message when I selected my ticket, but it went through anyway and the theater received the booking. I was able to have the lady at box office print off my ticket based on my name.

That's a supremely weak argument. I don't think theaters pride themselves on consumer trust. To them, this should be the actual real wake up call to do something with their business model. If they don't want to partner with moviepass then fine. However, they should make something better and more enticing. Saying they're concerned about the sustainability of one of their partners feels disingenuous to me.

To me this is a total win/win. I can steal time during the day to catch a flick. Like I said before I signed up for this ages ago but, thought the prices were too high. Now they're 9.99.. hey I go as long as I can until it gets too high.

Lifeline

Just my experience. When optimum had free Tuesday night movies, you could tell who got in for free and who did not. Most who got in for free did not buy any concessions. I guess the idea that you are getting something for free was the draw and spending any money would ruin things. The people who paid for tickets were the ones buying concessions.

I saw the complete opposite. There was a early free screening of Hitman's Bodyguard and the only people even in line at the concessions were the people who went into the screening.

It was Wednesday evening so it's not traditionally a busy day, but still it was surprising to see everyone who I waited in line with went to the same screening.

E-ticketing is VERY new to Moviepass. The overwhelming majority of users will do the check in / buy ticket in person thing.

From their site, which answers almost every question asked in this thread:
https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001124031-Where-is-e-ticketing-available-
E-ticketing theaters are indicated by a red ticket icon. Participating theaters include: B&B Theaters, Goodrich Quality Theaters, Studio Movie Grill, MJR Theatres, and AMC theaters in the Boston and Denver areas.

Not sure if that's comprehensive, but again, you're likely going to be using the card at a kiosk/box office after checking in with the app. And also again, whether using the traditional process or e-ticketing, it's all day-of purchasing only. No advance tickets, unless you consider buying a ticket in the morning for a showtime that night advance.

CyReN

E-ticketing is VERY new to Moviepass. The overwhelming majority of users will do the check in / buy ticket in person thing.

From their site, which answers almost every question asked in this thread:
https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001124031-Where-is-e-ticketing-available-

Not sure if that's comprehensive, but again, you're likely going to be using the card at a kiosk/box office after checking in with the app. And also again, whether using the traditional process or e-ticketing, it's all day-of purchasing only. No advance tickets, unless you consider buying a ticket in the morning for a showtime that night advance.

I've been trying for the last 2 days at MJR with e-ticketing and it keeps saying "failed to create reservation". Reached out to CS on social media and email but nothing yet. Have to imagine they are getting slammed still.

kaskade

AFAIK, the only theaters that will show up in the apps right now is the eticketing locations if you have one close enough. When you get the card (and presumably activate it) the other locations that accept moviepass will show up.

https://www.moviepasslocations.com/

That site has a list of the participating theaters.

dickroach

AFAIK, the only theaters that will show up in the apps right now is the eticketing locations if you have one close enough. When you get the card (and presumably activate it) the other locations that accept moviepass will show up.

ah alright there's a ton of theaters in nyc. no Alamo Drafthouse, but still a ton. can't wait for my card to get here, see 4 movies in 4 nights, and get burnt out on going to the movies

kaskade

ah alright there's a ton of theaters in nyc. no Alamo Drafthouse, but still a ton. can't wait for my card to get here, see 4 movies in 4 nights, and get burnt out on going to the movies

Yeah, I don’t know why but I’ve seen people saying it doesn’t work at Alamo.

https://mobile.twitter.com/alamonyc/status/794582720865136640

Apparently they want it to work though. The only reason I could see is that they might consider them a premium theater so they aren’t included in this.

dickroach

Yeah, I don’t know why but I’ve seen people saying it doesn’t work at Alamo.

https://mobile.twitter.com/alamonyc/status/794582720865136640

Apparently they want it to work though. The only reason I could see is that they might consider them a premium theater so they aren’t included in this.

I could see why they'd do that, but Alamo tickets are the same price as the other regular theaters and cheaper than the art house theaters they've got on that list (IFC Center, BAM Rose, etc)
:\

I've been trying for the last 2 days at MJR with e-ticketing and it keeps saying "failed to create reservation". Reached out to CS on social media and email but nothing yet. Have to imagine they are getting slammed still.
Yeah. This is a service that had like, 20K subscribers at peak in 6 years of operation. They sold a stake in the company predicated on getting 150K in a year, which is still not a lot. Then they announced this... and got literally MILLIONS of hits. They're a minuscule company and were completely caught off guard.
It's NYC. When I was using it, I never had trouble finding 3-4 worthwhile things a month. We're lucky; we get those NY+LA openings and the smallest arthouse stuff imaginable... all on Moviepass!

Guys, please stop asking the same three questions OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER - the website is fucked up, you can't see theaters reliably. It currently is supposed to work with ~91% of theaters in the USA, including just about every AMC, Regal, Cinemark, etc which cover most people.

They announced this monday, and the CEO has already said the response and signup rates they got exceeded their expectations hundreds of times over. Its like if you open a Leftorium store at the mall and expect 1000 visitors the first day and instead get 5 million. Things are going to be pretty fucked up for a while as they try to figure out what the hell to do.

Its not a scam, but nobody knows what the fuck is really gonna happen for now. Only a few dozen theaters around the country support MoviePass e-ticketing, WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO with regular movie e-ticketing like from Fandango, etc. Its their own custom "deals" with movie theaters where they directly pay the theater when you book with MoviePass. Again, just a handful of theaters do this. The rest all require you to receive a debit card from MoviePass, and then you select a movie, MoviePass loads the debit card with the correct amount, and then you "buy" a regular ticket at the theater with the debit card. That makes the process invisible as far as movie theaters are concerned, but it means you MUST get that debit card to even begin to see a movie through MoviePass.

None of that works until MoviePass sends you the debit card, and we have no idea how long thats gonna take. It says 7 days on the signup pages but thats sorta hard to believe now if they got way more people than they expected.

Yes, you got charged $9.95 right away. I have no idea what the hell is going on with that either, presumably that would get refunded if you cancelled the service after you got your MoviePass card and didn't like it.

At this point either sign up and hope you get the card soon, or don't sign up and wait for the rest of us who did to get our cards and report back on what the experience is like. Its pretty safe to assume most theaters near you will support this, and most theaters near you will NOT do e-ticketing for a while. If you DO see theaters near you in the app and you don't have a MP card, it means they support e-tickets. Grats, you lucky and can see a movie this weekend! The rest of us can't.

I feel like this should be pinned somehow.

CobbFC09

All participating theaters will show up in the app, but I imagine it's still getting slammed right now. I've been a MoviePass customer for about a month and successfully bought a ticket this morning at the Regal on my walk to work at 7am. Seems like the morning (I live on the east coast) is the best time as many people aren't awake/using the app.

EDIT - Friend of mine who signed up for the trial once it was announced just successfully used the e-ticket option. I've personally never used it as no theaters close to Atlanta offer it, but he said he chose the theater through the app from his house and then drove to the theater. He then input the reservation code he got into the kiosk and it spit out a ticket.

Guys, please stop asking the same three questions OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER - the website is fucked up, you can't see theaters reliably. It currently is supposed to work with ~91% of theaters in the USA, including just about every AMC, Regal, Cinemark, etc which cover most people.

They announced this monday, and the CEO has already said the response and signup rates they got exceeded their expectations hundreds of times over. Its like if you open a Leftorium store at the mall and expect 1000 visitors the first day and instead get 5 million. Things are going to be pretty fucked up for a while as they try to figure out what the hell to do.

Its not a scam, but nobody knows what the fuck is really gonna happen for now. Only a few dozen theaters around the country support MoviePass e-ticketing, WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO with regular movie e-ticketing like from Fandango, etc. Its their own custom "deals" with movie theaters where they directly pay the theater when you book with MoviePass. Again, just a handful of theaters do this. The rest all require you to receive a debit card from MoviePass, and then you select a movie, MoviePass loads the debit card with the correct amount, and then you "buy" a regular ticket at the theater with the debit card. That makes the process invisible as far as movie theaters are concerned, but it means you MUST get that debit card to even begin to see a movie through MoviePass.

None of that works until MoviePass sends you the debit card, and we have no idea how long thats gonna take. It says 7 days on the signup pages but thats sorta hard to believe now if they got way more people than they expected.

Yes, you got charged $9.95 right away. I have no idea what the hell is going on with that either, presumably that would get refunded if you cancelled the service after you got your MoviePass card and didn't like it.

At this point either sign up and hope you get the card soon, or don't sign up and wait for the rest of us who did to get our cards and report back on what the experience is like. Its pretty safe to assume most theaters near you will support this, and most theaters near you will NOT do e-ticketing for a while. If you DO see theaters near you in the app and you don't have a MP card, it means they support e-tickets. Grats, you lucky and can see a movie this weekend! The rest of us can't.

Thank you! Added to OP.

kaskade

On the app when I select moviepass cards there’s one in there. All the numbers are blocked out besides the last 4 digits. I’m hoping that’s mine and it’ll be in the mail!

Dan-o

On the app when I select moviepass cards there’s one in there. All the numbers are blocked out besides the last 4 digits. I’m hoping that’s mine and it’ll be in the mail!
Oh hey! Me too! Nice catch. Definitely wasn't there a few hours ago.

Toki767

What if I enter 75001 and still don't see a list of theaters?

It seems weird that no theaters around major cities like NYC and San Francisco support e-ticketing.

ghostshock

Neo Member
Can't login on the app nor do I have a confirmation email. Seems like they put the cart before the horse with this pricing change. I can login to the site so it's good to know I should be getting the card soon. Hopefully it works from day #1. I don't expect it to.

Crayons

Banned
I THINK only theaters that have eticketing with movie pass will show up, unless you are actually near the theater (think someone said within 100 yards away). You have to have your card for these theaters also. The app won't start without location services on on your phone, so it knows you are actually at that theater.
could you just like...GPS spoof and make it look like you're at the theatre and then get tickets

I'm just ignoring the app for a week or so until hopefully they have their infrastructure worked out. Shit is broken. I ain't mad, though. It's understandable with a growth explosion. I work with big data and cloud services.

Weird. The app wasn't loading anything for me except for an occasional error screen.... until I turned my phone's wifi back on. Now it's working as well as it ever has been since I signed up, and I can see the last four digits of my MoviePass card.

Can't login on the app nor do I have a confirmation email. Seems like they put the cart before the horse with this pricing change. I can login to the site so it's good to know I should be getting the card soon. Hopefully it works from day #1. I don't expect it to.

I still can't sign into my account or received a confirmation email for my second account. Also 48 hours later and no response from Support.

Even if I want to cancel this, I can't right now since I can't sign in. I would have to block them using my credit card company.

The theater list should be fuller I think. When I first signed up it was. Now nothing appears. I guess I'll keep waiting for people to give up. It makes no sense that you'd need to be within 100 feet to see a theatre. That's clearly not true.

Skatterd

So I guess the answer to my e-ticket question is that very few theaters actually offer "these" e-tickets which makes sense.

Hoping the card gets here soon. Would be nice to have shipping updates.

Good post! For what it's worth, I had tweeted on Tuesday about anxiously awaiting my Moviepass card. Moviepass actually replied to me, and reiterated the 5-7 days. Saying not to worry. Take it with a grain of salt, maybe, but they seem confident that the cards won't be delayed.

Falchion

Good post! For what it's worth, I had tweeted on Tuesday about anxiously awaiting my Moviepass card. Moviepass actually replied to me, and reiterated the 5-7 days. Saying not to worry. Take it with a grain of salt, maybe, but they seem confident that the cards won't be delayed.

Yeah I'm sure the cards are from an external vendor so they'll be able to scale up and send the cards no problem. I'm just hoping Movie Pass can upgrade the infrastructure on their side so that the app can be reliable once all these new subscribers get their cards and start trying to go to movies.

Sunster

lol so I learned that with the physical card I can use my local theater. Then I learned that AMC is going to block moviepass. I'm just not meant to have this.

RetroMG

Holy shit, their website is *terrible.* I figured I'd wait a few days past the initial hype and for payday to come around, but their website just sends me in circles. Name and Password > Mailing address > payment info > Name and Password. On and on.

kaskade

lol so I learned that with the physical card I can use my local theater. Then I learned that AMC is going to block moviepass. I'm just not meant to have this.

As far as it’s known amc cant do anything about it. The moviepass card is a MasterCard debit so they pretty much have to accept it based on processing agreements.

Skatterd

I want to do this but I just know that it probably won't work at the local Escape Theater. I can't go back to sitting in normal theatres. Those electric reclinable sofa chairs with the footrest are too good. They don't even take Fandango.

Edit: Is any theatre that shows up covered? If so I'm in.

It's any theater that would take a debit Mastercard.

I want to do this but I just know that it probably won't work at the local Xscape Theater. I can't go back to sitting in normal theatres. Those electric reclinable sofa chairs with the footrest are too good. They don't even take Fandango.

Edit: Is any theatre that shows up covered? If so I'm in.

We have an XScape too, and according to MoviePass it works just fine. The way this works is, really, just that they're buying your ticket for you. Any place that accepts Mastercard should accept MoviePass.

Dan-o

Oh hey! Me too! Nice catch. Definitely wasn't there a few hours ago.

Welp. Now when I log in, my card # doesn't show up anymore. And the theater list only shows two of the three eticketing theaters in my area. Weird.

I really hope the card arrives next week. If there was a delay in shipping out cards, I'd hope they'd say so...

Top Bottom