• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

Hmm. Really interested to read more of this, thanks for sharing. Gotta dig up my WSJ login info...

If you use the card, you can just select a normal ticket, then buy IMAX at the kiosk. It will load the amount of money for the normal ticket onto the card. Then you use the card to pay partially and pay the rest out of pocket.
Can we stop telling people this? It's against the Moviepass TOS and will get you kicked.
Moviepass said:
We currently do not support (in part or entirety) any enhanced or special screenings that involve an upcharge at the theater. Examples of these would include 3D, IMAX, Fathom Events, DBOX, ETX/RPX, film festival screenings, etc.

Your MoviePass card can only be used to purchase a ticket to the screening listed on your check-in. Using your card to purchase a different ticket is against our terms & conditions, which can result in your account cancellation.
https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001124111-Are-there-any-restrictions-

$10/month and it's STILL not good enough.

weshes195

Hmm. Really interested to read more of this, thanks for sharing. Gotta dig up my WSJ login info...

Can we stop telling people this? It's against the Moviepass TOS and will get you kicked.

https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001124111-Are-there-any-restrictions-

$10/month and it's STILL not good enough.

Does that count against something like a Recliner seat? I assume so. Also, Im on the app but under Theaters nothing is popping up and the same under E-tickets. Do I need to put in my card (not here yet).

Or do I need to get close to a theater for it to pop up?

Neo_Geo

Banned
I think his point is how can the movie industry tolerate it as there's no way they get as much money with this. Theaters don't care, as they make most of their money on concessions, but the studios rely on the ticket sales.

That said, does each account need to have a smart device? What about kids?

Correct they rely on ticket sales, something that they are ignorantly pricing themselves out of. Switch to getting a cut of a low priced subscription model for constant guaranteed income. Works great for products without a physical product. It's not a hard concept to grasp why this isn't losing them any money.

I am sure the Dollar Trees of the world will see a nice bump in candy and soda revenue as well.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I guess I'm a little confused how this would hurt theaters.

Aren't the tickets still be purchased? But basically through MoviePass? And it doesn't even work for 3D or IMAX so I would actually think that something like this would convince people to go to the movies more often, especially for movies they might otherwise not go out of their way to see.

And that, in turn, could bring them more money through sales on theater food and drinks.

Right?

The tickets are being purchased directly from the theater box office.
Maybe theaters think this will change peoples' ideas about what a movie ticket is worth?

riotous

Banned
I think the movie theater chains are fearing that when MoviePass inevitably shutters, those customers won't go back to spending $15 a ticket after they've been spoiled on having unlimited movies for $9.95 a month.

Yeah it's called devaluation. Same thing many studios complained about with Netflix; and it's a real thing.. while Netflix continues to thrive, they arem't making the industry as much money as other outlets did in the past (TV syndication, home video sales.) It's why every studio and their mother eventually wants to create their own version of Netflix. And it's why Netflix is aggressively spending money to produce it's own content, a business model that many investors worry isn't sustainable.

Correct they rely on ticket sales, something that they are ignorantly pricing themselves out of.

Yes, I'm sure the owners of theaters are the ones ignorant of the economics behind their ticket prices, and not Neo_Geo, neogaf forum poster..

sinkfla87

I guess I'm a little confused how this would hurt theaters.

Aren't the tickets still be purchased? But basically through MoviePass? And it doesn't even work for 3D or IMAX so I would actually think that something like this would convince people to go to the movies more often, especially for movies they might otherwise not go out of their way to see.

And that, in turn, could bring them more money through sales on theater food and drinks.

Right?

This. I used to work for Carmike Cinemas about 10 years ago so I don't know if what I remember is completely correct, but I did know that we made very little off of ticket sales. Our share of the profits would go up every week the longer the movie stayed in our theatre. Concessions is where we made BANK. There's a reason why 2 large drinks and a large popcorn cost almost 20 dollars now (at AMC here, at least) and it isn't due to the quality haha. You would think the higher ups would be happy because this is going to get more people in their theater more often, that are more likely to buy concessions and they're still getting the money they would get anyway from ticket sales.

Another, better interview with MoviePass: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/moviepass-amc-1202530076/

Farnsworth: I can tell you that we’re way ahead of our business model. In the first day, we exceeded our business model. It’s beyond our expectations. We were number three on Google search worldwide. Looking at social media last night when we had time to breathe, it was like we want it in Ireland! We want it in London!

Lowe: We had millions of hits yesterday. It was many, many hundreds of times more than we expected.

Were you concerned about AMC’s reaction?

Farnsworth: Not at all. It was exciting. It makes me more excited.

Lowe: The fascinating thing is we use a MasterCard debit card. We pay full price for the tickets we buy. We comply fully with the rules of MasterCard and AMC has signed agreements with both their credit card processor and with MasterCard to comply with all the rules. They would essentially have to not take MasterCard in order to block us. I don’t think you can cancel that agreement without severe penalties. I think it was all bluster. But this was the last thing we would have wanted for what we hope to be a partner. We want to reinvigorate people going to AMC theaters. It’s the largest theater chain. It’s the place where the bulk of our customers go the most often. We really want to be their partner. I’m assuming we’ll get through this and then we’ll sit down at a table and figure out how to help each other.

They don’t understand our business model. At Redbox we held a dollar a night [rental] for eight years. Raising it was the last thing we ever wanted to do, but labor goes up, Walmart wanted more money for the discs, all those things. We surveyed and tested every price down to $14.95. Even active moviegoers had to think is $14.95 really worth it? At $9.95, even people who rarely go say I’d be crazy not to do that. We need to offset costs in Manhattan and L.A. by getting a lot of people in Kansas City and Omaha and places where the average ticket price is five or six bucks to sign up.

Lots of interesting stuff.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Does everyone else's app say something like "want to see more theaters? request a card" at the bottom of the screen? I mean... I already did. Didn't everyone?

Also, can you get e-tickets if your card hasn't arrived yet? Has anyone tried since signing up?

Sanjuro

Does everyone else's app say something like "want to see more theaters? request a card" at the bottom of the screen? I mean... I already did. Didn't everyone?

Also, can you get e-tickets if your card hasn't arrived yet? Has anyone tried since signing up?

I have no idea what is going on. From my understanding, you need the card.

Can't login to the app. Got a broken email.

Pretty much it's like a gym pass. Those that buy and don't guy subsidize the cost of people that do and want the cheaper price. I also like how they say they want the theaters to be their partner and for them to find ways of "helping" each other. I love that.

Man. If i'm a major theater chain, i'm going to figure this shit out. Movie pass has in my view of the world been really quiet these past few years. I signed up for them some time ago but, did not like the cost of the service. Now that their prices are so low, I mean.... c'mon how can you not? AMC has an opportunity here, especially since movie pass has proven they can't even handle user traffic on their site or app.

StillEdge

If I can get any of these sites working I could confirm, but that reddit link listed my favorite luxery theatre! I live in southern California and the price of one ticket is usually $12 so I think I win if I see at least just one movie. it's a no brainer down here.

My screen says the same thing. Guess their servers just got that overloaded lol. Never got my confirmation email, but I did get charged. I'm just gonna sit on it for a few days and hopefully everything gets cleared up.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
My screen says the same thing. Guess their servers just got that overloaded lol. Never got my confirmation email, but I did get charged. I'm just gonna sit on it for a few days and hopefully everything gets cleared up.
Oddly enough, I got an e-mail, but my card has not been charged.

FTF

This would be perfect if it allowed reserve seating.

ahh, so that's the catch. For reserved seating screens it only allows you to book the non reserved seats in the front, or it doesn't count for reserved seating theaters altogether?

ahh, so that's the catch. For reserved seating screens it only allows you to book the non reserved seats in the front, or it doesn't count for reserved seating theaters altogether?
Works fine with reserve seating. Check in at theater. Buy ticket at kiosk or box office. Pick seat as normal.

So I tried signing up earlier but kept getting an error message. Just now I got a confirmation email. But when I try to log in it says to check my credentials. Should I worry?
Nvm: it let me in briefly then kicked me out.

kaskade

Another, better interview with MoviePass: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/moviepass-amc-1202530076/

Lots of interesting stuff.

Nice interview. It’s nice to see them excited and surpassing their goal already. My dad signed up at 9.95 and he’s not a subscription guy. He had the exact reaction they stated, why wouldn’t I do this at 10 bucks?

The AMC part was interesting, I was wondering how they could not accept it as it’s just a MasterCard. It’s not like they can not take specific ones. Id think my local independent theater would like it. If I see an extra movie or two a month I’ll most likely be buying popcorn, that’s just more in their pocket.

I’m still curious to their longer term business plan since they didn’t say much about raising the price in the future.

StMeph

I had a long post about it ready to go, but for some reason the page crashed and I lost all of it. Long story short, it just sounds like your usual tech startup willing to burn cash to buy users. That they've even announced their IPO intentions next year make it even clearer.

Did some napkin math and I'd expect them to lose $20-30 million if they get to 2 million subs.

I had a long post about it ready to go, but for some reason the page crashed and I lost all of it. Long story short, it just sounds like your usual tech startup willing to burn cash to buy users. That they've even announced their IPO intentions next year make it even clearer.

Did some napkin math and I'd expect them to lose $20-30 million if they get to 2 million subs.

I don't have high hopes about this lasting very long, but I'll damn well take advantage of it while it does.

Ashhong

Just signed up in the app but the tutorial in it makes it look like you buy the whole ticket on the app? And when I look at theaters by me it's just empty And asks for my moviepass card but I don't have it yet obviously

vatstep

F34R

Just under 13hrs after I attempted to sign up, got an error, but payment processed; I received the confirmation email lol.

I wonder how long until people start receiving their MoviePass cards. I'd like to hope in 3-4 days, but I wonder if its gonna take weeks and weeks :(

Would love to see Lucky Logan and Bodyguard next week, unfortunately none of the theaters in my area do MoviePass e-tickets so I gotta wait for the debit card.

The nice thing is that amc cannot block it unless a physical person sells you the ticket and denies the use of your moviepass debit card. Since its a debit card, it should work just like a regular debit card at the automated ticket kiosks.

Top Bottom