• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

It is month to month no term fee.

I signed up for 2 accounts (wife and I) this morning, I only got an email on one account, and I was able to sign in online/app. That said I never got an email on the second account, and I am unable to sign in using the email/pw I setup. I did request password reset hours ago, but no email. So either I used a wrong email on the second account (I have tried different variations in trying to sign on) or something went wrong on their side. That said they did charge both credit cards. There website was just insane to use this morning, and I should of waited. The service is useless to me if we both can't sign in. I did submit a ticket, but be careful signing up.

Neo_Geo

Banned
10 bucks a month for a movie every day at any cinema doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Are they about to fold and just want to collect as much money as possible to reduce their losses before that? I can't think of any way this makes sense financially for anyone involved other than the customer.

You're extremely dense if you can't comprehend why this is a good deal for everyone involved. They're not peddling a physical product.

Everyone involved in this benefits from a larger volume of customers since the industry is ignorantly pricing its customers out of attendance.

dickroach

wow I assumed they'd gotten tens of thousands of subs yesterday; the fact they only had 20k before is what's baffling.
$10 is too low to pass up. that's less than the price of one ticket for a ton of people.

I'm surprised they didn't just charge $15. It'd still be a great deal and they could get way more money but i'm obviously content with what we got lol.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
wow I assumed they'd gotten tens of thousands of subs yesterday; the fact they only had 20k before is what's baffling.
$10 is too low to pass up. that's less than the price of one ticket for a ton of people.
At $50, you'd have to watch like a movie every week to break even. I'd imagine that would become a chore after a while unless you were a hardcore moviegoer.

weshes195

Ok I got in, 10 dollars taken out of account.

I just had a question: I know it says no imax (understandable) but my imax theatre is on the list of theatres.

I assume it just means normal movies right? But then what about recliners? They are addorional money I think 4 dollars, but they are for normal films. I assume it won't work with those right?

Ok I got in, 10 dollars taken out of account.

I just had a question: I know it says no imax (understandable) but my imax theatre is on the list of theatres.

I assume it just means normal movies right? But then what about recliners? They are addorional money I think 4 dollars, but they are for normal films. I assume it won't work with those right?

If you use the card, you can just select a normal ticket, then buy IMAX at the kiosk. It will load the amount of money for the normal ticket onto the card. Then you use the card to pay partially and pay the rest out of pocket.

charpunk

This has been probably covered, and I apologize, but one thing still confuses me. With the card method, I pick the showing in the app and it credits the card the exact amount. From there I go to the ticket window and buy the ticket at the theater?

netguy503

This has been probably covered, and I apologize, but one thing still confuses me. With the card method, I pick the showing in the app and it credits the card the exact amount. From there I go to the ticket window and buy the ticket at the theater?

Also this is unlimited movies in that month for only $10 as long as it's a 2D showing and only used once a day? Is that correct?

dickroach

At $50, you'd have to watch like a movie every week to break even. I'd imagine that would become a chore after a while unless you were a hardcore moviegoer.

yeah I guess you're right. they went from niche service to so cheap that people will pay for it even if they won't use it overnight.
I wonder how much buzz this would have generated if they dropped it to $20/month

netguy503

Yea. Once per day and only 2D showings. In theory you could see up to 30-31 movies per month.

How does that make any sense for them?

Wait you have to load the card with money? Why? they already take the money out from your credit card each month ( replying to Zeyphersan).

Can someone please explain to me how you purchase tickets please.

dickroach

1) the percentage of people that are going to use the service to see more than one movie per month is probably really really low.
2) it's all about collecting consumer data. they're not taking a loss, they're buying information.

DeviantBoi

1) the percentage of people that are going to use the service to see more than one movie per month is probably really really low.
2) it's all about collecting consumer data. they're not taking a loss, they're buying information.

Plus people buying that expensive soda and popcorn.

SexyFish

Banned

Wait you have to load the card with money? Why? they already take the money out from your credit card each month ( replying to Zeyphersan).

How it used to work was you would select the showtime and theater for your movie. Moviepass loads the exact amount needed to buy the ticket onto the card and you use it at the box office. I assume it's the same.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Also they said that the plan is to amass such a huge userbase that they can ask the theaters for some kickbacks. Since iirc theaters make most of their money off of the concession stand anyway, it's kind of a "win-win".

No, they load the card with money. You go to the theater, pick which movie and showtime you want to see, they load the exact ticket price onto the card and you use that to pay

You go to a theater. You open the app on your phone. You tell it the screening you're about to buy tickets for "Wonder Woman at 4:20". That loads the MoviePass MasterCard they've sent you. You walk to the Ticket booth and buy that ticket you just specified. You pay with your MoviePass Mastercard. You see the movie.

well yea, that's how the theaters aren't really losing out on this deal. it might get more asses in seats. but that has nothing to do with Moviepass making/losing money
My sense is that $9.99 is the magic number to get a boatload of people into the service, but that the breakeven number is probably more like $15. That's not low enough to drive up to user base like $10 does, but close enough that they could work their way up to it over the next couple of years through incremental increases in price for new customers and eventually existing customers as well.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I guess I'm a little confused how this would hurt theaters.

Aren't the tickets still be purchased? But basically through MoviePass? And it doesn't even work for 3D or IMAX so I would actually think that something like this would convince people to go to the movies more often, especially for movies they might otherwise not go out of their way to see.

And that, in turn, could bring them more money through sales on theater food and drinks.

Right?

AndyD

aka andydumi
You're extremely dense if you can't comprehend why this is a good deal for everyone involved. They're not peddling a physical product.

Everyone involved in this benefits from a larger volume of customers since the industry is ignorantly pricing its customers out of attendance.

I think his point is how can the movie industry tolerate it as there's no way they get as much money with this. Theaters don't care, as they make most of their money on concessions, but the studios rely on the ticket sales.

That said, does each account need to have a smart device? What about kids?

Aren't the tickets still be purchased? But basically through MoviePass? And it doesn't even work for 3D or IMAX so I would actually think that something like this would convince people to go to the movies more often, especially for movies they might otherwise not go out of their way to see.

And that, in turn, could bring them more money through sales on theater food and drinks.

Right?
The issue is, this deal is so good that it would be foolish for anybody to buy tickets directly from the theater. If the service works as advertised, it'd make MoviePass the only game in town for ticket distribution. Nobody in the know would buy tickets any other way, unless theaters started their own programs at a competitive rate (impossible, since this is clearly a loss-leading price).

When this service does either crash and burn or raise their prices, customers may decide they're unwilling to pay the old pricing scheme.

rrs

Right?
MoviePass is more of an uber model: reach critical point and then start putting the squeeze on lowering their ticket price or lose business, while at the same time selling data to everyone about movie watching habits.

Sure, an increase of people could also increase concessions sales but this also seems like the kind of service for the kind of people who just want to watch films and don't care about the middle/upper class family traps of concessions. Pair that with said person getting cheaper tickets outside of loyalty systems and you got a very real problem.

A brave new world, where those with endless funds will control the means of movie watching

weshes195

If you use the card, you can just select a normal ticket, then buy IMAX at the kiosk. It will load the amount of money for the normal ticket onto the card. Then you use the card to pay partially and pay the rest out of pocket.

Cool Thanks! I have never seen a kiosk at any of my theaters, so hopefully one is at the Pooler IMAX theatre.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The issue is, this deal is so good that it would be foolish for anybody to buy tickets directly from the theater. If the service works as advertised, it'd make MoviePass the only game in town for ticket distribution. Nobody in the know would buy tickets any other way, unless theaters started their own programs at a competitive rate (impossible, since this is clearly a loss-leading price).

When this service does either crash and burn or raise their prices, customers may decide they're unwilling to pay the old pricing scheme.

Well it's only for 2D movies, not 3D or IMAX. So people are very much still going to be buying tickets directly from the theater for big event movies.

Sean

Banned

Right?

The problem is that the business model of MoviePass is unsustainable. For example, one ticket to Anabelle: Creation tonight is $15.16 at my local AMC, so they'd already be losing money on me literally the very first time I use it. Let's say I see just one movie per weekend at that price, that's $60.64 they spent while only charging me $9.95, so they're losing 50 bucks there. If I took full advantage of their MoviePass card and saw one movie per day at those prices, it'd cost them $455.

Even if they're selling this "movie habit" data to research firms or whatever, realistically, I don't think there's any way MoviePass can be profitable at this price point. And the more users they get, the more losses they'll suffer and quicker their demise.

I think the movie theater chains are fearing that when MoviePass inevitably shutters, those customers won't go back to spending $15 a ticket after they've been spoiled on having unlimited movies for $9.95 a month.

I think the movie theater chains are fearing that when MoviePass inevitably shutters, those customers won't go back to spending $15 a ticket after they've been spoiled on having unlimited movies for $9.95 a month.

You see, the theater chains already lost me as a customer LONG AGO because of the cost of ticket prices. This might be the only way to bring me back.

The problem is that the business model of MoviePass is unsustainable. For example, one ticket to Anabelle: Creation tonight is $15.16 at my local AMC, so they'd already be losing money on me literally the very first time I use it. Let's say I see just one movie per weekend at that price, that's $60.64 they spent while only charging me $9.95, so they're losing 50 bucks there. If I took full advantage of their MoviePass card and saw one movie per day at those prices, it'd cost them $455.

Even if they're selling this "movie habit" data to research firms or whatever, realistically, I don't think there's any way MoviePass can be profitable at this price point. And the more users they get, the more losses they'll suffer and quicker their demise.

I'd bet they are banking on a lot of people who buy in at that price and only end up going to one or zero movies a month. That subsidizes the whales.

They fully expect to lose money in the short term. The goal is that eventually they will be popular enough that more people actually go to the movies, and the theaters will benefit. At which point Moviepass asks the theaters for a profit share or they threaten to raise the prices. Which if they do that, will mean theater attendance goes back down.

The hope is that this explodes and they are then able to offer movie chains an offer they can't refuse.

Top Bottom