• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

aett

I see that you can only purchase same-day tickets. Do you actually have to be physically at the theater to use the app and get your tickets and reserve your seat and all that?

I got my card the next day after I was sent the email stating it was on the way. The card however, comes in a very plain, junk mail looking like white envelope. Nothing on it states it was from movie pass. I could have easily thrown it out if i didn't actually open it

I don’t throw out any mail directly addressed to me, so that’s pretty unlikely. I could have missed it, but I’ve been waiting for the card so I’ve been on the lookout for blank envelopes

Desi

I see that you can only purchase same-day tickets. Do you actually have to be physically at the theater to use the app and get your tickets and reserve your seat and all that?
I am able to check in on the app but when it comes to paying and choosing seats you have to be at the theater

This card will make me see more films I am on the fence about in the first three weeks or so. After that theater times are trash and impossible for me to see a film in a hour after work before 8:20pm

fr0st

Banned
You have to be at the theatre physically but you can order tickets from other days in kiosks I'm pretty sure.

Probably violates TOS but I'm not sure if they can check something like that

reposting to make sure it isn't missed on the bottom of the last page:

If the showtime in the app is red then it works. Blade Runner 2049 2D IMAX is currently red at the IMAX closest to me.

You guys sure about this? I ask because in the not-so-fine print on the documentation, it explicitly says that if you use your MoviePass for an IMAX screening, your account could be subject to termination.

https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001124111-Are-there-any-restrictions-
Your $9.95 unlimited MoviePass subscription allows you to see one standard 2D movie every calendar day at any participating theater. We currently do not support (in part or entirety) any enhanced or special screenings that involve an upcharge at the theater. Examples of these would include 3D, IMAX, Fathom Events, DBOX, ETX/RPX, film festival screenings, etc.

Your MoviePass card can only be used to purchase a ticket to the screening listed on your check-in. Using your card to purchase a different ticket is against our terms & conditions, which can result in your account cancellation.

So I mean, YMMV I guess? I too saw the red line on my local IMAX films, but steered clear because of this FAQ.

JesseZao

reposting to make sure it isn't missed on the bottom of the last page:

You guys sure about this? I ask because in the not-so-fine print on the documentation, it explicitly says that if you use your MoviePass for an IMAX screening, your account could be subject to termination.

https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001124111-Are-there-any-restrictions-

So I mean, YMMV I guess? I too saw the red line on my local IMAX films, but steered clear because of this FAQ.

Their app is unreliable, so even it if shows red on a premium showing, they won't load the extra money to pay for that ticket. The pass is for standard 2D showings.

I just look in my theater chain's app for local standard showings and then find the same one in the moviepass app to checkin.

Sitting at 60+

They said they all back orders would be filled within 10 days at the latest. That was 4 days ago, but then again they also said that in both September and early October. This company is just making it up as they go.

At this point you may as well start over. I ordered one for my wife and got it in less than two weeks.

Kaze13

Does anybody know how to fix a "account past due" issue? I changed credit cards after they charged my first month and now the card won't let me do anything. The card in the account is active and i sent them a text a week ago and still no answer.

Everyone I know who ordered a movie pass (order dates between Aug 30th-October 5th) have received theirs in the last 2 weeks, and have been working without a hitch.

The first movie I saw on the pass was a 7:40 showing of Ninjago, and the theater was totally empty except for our group, it was a great viewing experience :).

I hope MoviePass survives this initial turbulence towards profitability, because I really like mine so far.

Mett

I signed up on the 6th and got an email that it shipped on the 12th. I got it tonight but it could of been in the mailbox a day or two because I hadn't checked.

My issue is I don't have a smartphone so I'm going to have to either borrow my sister in laws to use or get one with a cheap data plan to use these. I didn't know it was required till after I signed up but I'll be sure to use it. Probably be able to use it starting next month and go with Thor: Ragnarok as my first movie.

fr0st

Banned
I signed up on the 6th and got an email that it shipped on the 12th. I got it tonight but it could of been in the mailbox a day or two because I hadn't checked.

My issue is I don't have a smartphone so I'm going to have to either borrow my sister in laws to use or get one with a cheap data plan to use these. I didn't know it was required till after I signed up but I'll be sure to use it. Probably be able to use it starting next month and go with Thor: Ragnarok as my first movie.

you can still cancel if its too much of a hassle to use get a smartphone

Mett

you can still cancel if its too much of a hassle to use get a smartphone

It doesn't look like it will be a big hassle, I can get a tracfone smartphone for around 30-50 bucks and use prepaid cards, or look into places around my theater that may have wifi.

At this point you may as well start over. I ordered one for my wife and got it in less than two weeks.

Yeah, if mine isn't there when I get home tonight, I'm just going to open a new account and see if that one comes. If it comes before the other one, I'll cancel the other account.

I'm at day 65 and no card.

Sitting at 60+

They said they all back orders would be filled within 10 days at the latest. That was 4 days ago, but then again they also said that in both September and early October. This company is just making it up as they go.

Yep they said 10 days on Friday October 6th. So even counting days as "business days" all the backordered cards should have shipped by now. Not holding my breath though. At this point, I just want to get it before Thor 3.

Rookhelm

Ordered mine on or around Sept 27 (I created my account that day, I can't remember for sure if I bought the card that day, or the next day, but either way, it's close).

Got my card October 17

Haven't used it yet though...maybe Monday night after work

jfoul

I got my card around three weeks ago, but I haven't used it because my wife hasn't received her's yet. We both signed up mid August.

ry3Pihc.gif

yuraya

Got my card today. subbed on Oct 3rd.

Wasn't expecting it til like Nov based on some of the posts in this thread so 17 days is pretty good. I guess they sorted their stuff out. Excited to try it out some time next week :D

Necrovex

Has anyone else encountered billing problems? Been getting emails from Moviepass being unable to charge my card, and I can't seem to find a way to fix this.

koolaroo

It's weird they support certain theaters in a chain near me but not the closest one which would be nice because I work weird hours and they are open past midnight. So far only seen Marshall with it still seems to good of a deal to be good I keep expecting the shoe to drop.

Darknight

So dudes, can I order an IMAX ticket from the counter and then have them scan the movie pass which should at least cover 50% off of it?

I want to see Blade Runner 2049 this weekend.

Shiv47

So dudes, can I order an IMAX ticket from the counter and then have them scan the movie pass which should at least cover 50% off of it?

I want to see Blade Runner 2049 this weekend.

No, IMAX isn't covered by Moviepass. You can try shenanigans to get around it, but risk losing your account.

There's too much going on in my life right now to abuse the pass. Though I do still use it....I want to abuse it. I want to have time to see all the garbage that's out there.

goldenpp72

So I went to use my pass for the first time today with my fiancee, her card worked, mine did not, so I had to pay out of pocket. Is there any recourse for this? it activated yet I still had to pay -_-

neshcom

Banned
So I went to use my pass for the first time today with my fiancee, her card worked, mine did not, so I had to pay out of pocket. Is there any recourse for this? it activated yet I still had to pay -_-
You checked in via the app, right? It sounds like the most sure way to get support is via te MoviePass twitter.

netguy503

Just used the pass to see Geostorm for free (I used the pass already this month to see American Made and already made a $5 profit from it). American Made was OK and Geostorm was hilarious.

Since movies in my area cost $15 I would of originally had to pay $30 so I'm already at $20 profit with one week left in the month and I'm definitely seeing SAW and maybe Happy Death Day as well. So at the end of the month, I'm going to be at $45 but most likely $60 so I'm keeping $50 in my pocket that I would of spent thanks to a $10 subscription service. Thanks, Moviepass.

This service is great for a consumer but I would HATE to be someone behind the scenes at this company right now having to pay for all these tickets. lol

Top Bottom