• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just used the pass to see Geostorm for free (I used the pass already this month to see American Made and already made a $5 profit from it). American Made was OK and Geostorm was hilarious.

Since movies in my area cost $15 I would of originally had to pay $30 so I'm already at $20 profit with one week left in the month and I'm definitely seeing SAW and maybe Happy Death Day as well. So at the end of the month, I'm going to be at $45 but most likely $60 so I'm keeping $50 in my pocket that I would of spent thanks to a $10 subscription service. Thanks, Moviepass.

This service is great for a consumer but I would HATE to be someone behind the scenes at this company right now having to pay for all these tickets. lol

Happdy death day is worth a movie pass use. Not bad at all.

netguy503

Saw Happy Death Day yesterday and the Meadea movie and Geostorm last week when GAF went down (mostly cause it was free and my Regal was doing a 2,000 credit promo for seeing Meada and I still got the points even if the movie didn't cost me anything) and will see Jigsaw or that new Matt Damon movie to close out the month.

So I saw Blade Runner, American Made, Geostorm, Meada, Happy Death Day, and Jigsaw. Since my local theater charges $15 a ticket and moviepass is $10 $15x6=90-$10=$80. I saved $80 with moviepass this month. Thanks moviepass! :)

Sulik2

Happy Death Day was actually quite good. Wouldnt have seen it without my pass. Seeing geostorm for the lols this weekend. Also I am going to see star wars so many times because of this thing.

netguy503

Happdy death day is worth a movie pass use. Not bad at all.

Happy Death Day has one of the best studio opening logos I've seen in a long time. I like when they do that (Heck, the last one I remember them changing it was for the original Pitch Perfect. Also a Universal title.)

netguy503

Happy Death Day was actually quite good. Wouldnt have seen it without my pass. Seeing geostorm for the lols this weekend. Also I am going to see star wars so many times because of this thing.

Oh I forgot I saw Geostorm too added it to the post where I counted what I saved this month through movie pass (would like to know how much others are saving as well monthly and what their theater costs usually are).

I can't believe I saved $80 this month with my pass. And yet, people were saying it's next month moviepass will see the big loss and have to change their rules/ charge customers more just because Thor and Justice League come out then. (Just so you know I don't believe that)

kaister

Loving the MoviePass so far.

I watched 7 movies this month. Three I would've paid for anyways Blade Runner, Baby Driver, IT. The rest are something I'm mildly interested in but mightn't have watch cause of the MoviePass: Lego Ninjago, The Foreigner, Happy Death Day, Geostorm.

None of them are that...Geostorm was probably that worst but it's still unintentionally funny. lol

Looking forward to November. :D

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Oh I forgot I saw Geostorm too added it to the post where I counted what I saved this month through movie pass (would like to know how much others are saving as well monthly and what their theater costs usually are).

I can't believe I saved $80 this month with my pass. And yet, people were saying it's next month moviepass will see the big loss and have to change their rules/ charge customers more just because Thor and Justice League come out then. (Just so you know I don't believe that)

There's no way it stays $10 for more than a year but I don't see it jumping up so quickly. If anything it seems like they were trying to get the new memberships before the big ones like star wars and Thor. To guage it.

Saw Jigsaw last night. Definitely planning on seeing Suburbicon tomorrow night. I may pay to see Hitman's Bodyguard again, alongside American Assassin & Medea's Boo! 2, as if you see those three and Jigsaw by the 23rd of November at any Regal theater, you get a digital copy of each film for free.

Doodis

Is Geostorm worth seeing? I feel like I can easily see some movies I would never pay for before, but I still don't want to waste my time if it's terrible.

skybald

Saw Jigsaw last night. Definitely planning on seeing Suburbicon tomorrow night. I may pay to see Hitman's Bodyguard again, alongside American Assassin & Medea's Boo! 2, as if you see those three and Jigsaw by the 23rd of November at any Regal theater, you get a digital copy of each film for free.

Hitmans Bodyguard is playing nowhere near me anymore. :(

I've had my movie pass since August and haven't used it yet 🙈

I did see IT but didn't feel bothered to open the app and all that.
The next time I did go to the movies it was the Universal City walk AMC which is excluded -_-

Moviepass just sent out an updated terms and conditions that potentially outline some troubling changes.

They can:
- limit the number of movies you see in a month
- offer pricing for those who go over that limit
- it looks like it’s back to seeing a movie just one time again?
- if you cancel, you can’t sign up again for 9 months.

There’s more. Emails went out a little while ago.

This that bullshit moviepass :/

xRaizen

Moviepass just sent out an updated terms and conditions that potentially outline some troubling changes.

They can:
- it looks like it’s back to seeing a movie just one time again?
- if you cancel, you can’t sign up again for 9 months.

There’s more. Emails went out a little while ago.
Yeah, I’m seeing now that you can only watch a movie once through MP. Sucks, since I was seeing some movies more than once for dates/friends.

Churrasco

Neo Member

They can:
- it looks like it's back to seeing a movie just one time again?
- if you cancel, you can't sign up again for 9 months.

There's more. Emails went out a little while ago.

Yeah, I'm seeing now that you can only watch a movie once through MP. Sucks, since I was seeing some movies more than once for dates/friends.

No. The verbiage about seeing the same movie more than once, and the movie limit/pricing stuff are all unchanged from the previous version of the ToS

The net new changes are:

• You can't walk out of a movie more than once a month*
  • They can charge a $25 fine if you (ab)use MP to buy something other than a 2D ticket
  • If you cancel you can't rejoin within 9 months

*though it remains to be seen how they plan on enforcing this

See the reddit thread here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoviePassClub/comments/79p8a3/megathread_updated_terms_of_service/

LogicStep

How can they know if you watch the same movie more than once? I thought all they saw was the data of a ticket purchase without detail of what movie it is..

I'm guessing theaters with assigned seating can report unused tickets.

Probably makes sense, people buying up seats that people actually want, turning them away from going to that showing or such because nothing good available. So loss of sale and potential concession sales.

Churrasco

Neo Member
How can they know if you watch the same movie more than once? I thought all they saw was the data of a ticket purchase without detail of what movie it is..

They allow you to watch a movie more than once

Before the price change the app would automatically grey out movies you had already seen.

The restriction was lifted but it looks like they forgot to update this section of the ToS

joeposh

New ToS has a proviso saying you have to watch a movie bought with MP in its entirety. If you violate this more than once a month they can terminate your account

This is a bluff because there is no way they can enforce this

This is an odd provision that I think is more designed to preserve the integrity of whatever data they're trying to hawk, and prevent abuse by promotion companies that might use MoviePass accounts to try and bolster ticket sales for certain movies (i.e. buy a ticket, and not attend).

I can't imagine that regular walk outs or no-shows by normal cardholders are a real issue.

Churrasco

Neo Member
This is an odd provision that I think is more designed to preserve the integrity of whatever data they're trying to hawk, and prevent abuse by promotion companies that might use MoviePass accounts to try and bolster ticket sales for certain movies (i.e. buy a ticket, and not attend).

I can't imagine that regular walk outs or no-shows by normal cardholders are a real issue.

I think it's more aimed at preventing people from buying tickets for reward points, sitting through 5 minutes of the movie and claiming they are still within the ToS because they "saw" it

joeposh

I think it's more aimed at preventing people from buying tickets for reward points, sitting through 5 minutes of the movie and claiming they are still within the ToS because they "saw" it

Ahh, that would make sense too. I forgot how intense some folks are with the reward point hustle.

Theaters also not gonna appreciate bunch of seats at reserved showings being bought up and no one taking those seats. Taking seats of paying customers who will actually go and possibly buy concessions

MIMIC

Banned
I could swear I posted in this topic....

Anyway, I think I'm going to sign-up for this. I think I saw 3 movies in the last month ("It," "Blade Runner" and "Happy Death Day"), and I would GLADLY have paid just $10 to see all 3. Plus, I really enjoy going to the movies and if I have to limit myself to just 4 or 3 movies a month (just on the weekends), that's more than worth it for me.

EDIT:

I honestly don't see any drawbacks for me personally. I came across this page that lists the pros and the cons, and most of the drawbacks are irrelevant for me:

No 3D or Imax. I don't care for either; I've only seen two 3D movies in my life ("Transformers 2" and "Jackass", lol)

Must buy onsite. Don't care

No premium theaters like the ArcLight or Landmark. I've never been to a premium theater.

Solo ticket buyers only. Fine with me.

The app can be buggy. Well, hopefully it isn't too bad. But if this is the only thing I should be concerned about, I'm sitting pretty.

jrDev

Man I just realized I got AMC stub points for my movie pass purchase which nabbed me a $5 off coupon for paying nothing lmfao! This is awesome!

Kimawolf

I could swear I posted in this topic....

Anyway, I think I'm going to sign-up for this. I think I saw 3 movies in the last month ("It," "Blade Runner" and "Happy Death Day"), and I would GLADLY have paid just $10 to see all 3. Plus, I really enjoy going to the movies and if I have to limit myself to just 4 or 3 movies a month (just on the weekends), that's more than worth it for me.

EDIT:

I honestly don't see any drawbacks for me personally. I came across this page that lists the pros and the cons, and most of the drawbacks are irrelevant for me:

No 3D or Imax. I don't care for either; I've only seen two 3D movies in my life ("Transformers 2" and "Jackass", lol)

Must buy onsite. Don't care

No premium theaters like the ArcLight or Landmark. I've never been to a premium theater.

Solo ticket buyers only. Fine with me.

The app can be buggy. Well, hopefully it isn't too bad. But if this is the only thing I should be concerned about, I'm sitting pretty.

Yeah. If you just want to see the movie without some of the fluff theatre stuff it is actually a great deal. I uae it about 1 time a week and so i have already gotten my money's worth.

sfedai0

Banned
Is it as simple as just clicking cancel in the app if you want to quit? I heard you might possible have to put it in to writing to CS also? If so, that sounds kinda laborious.

Ionic

This is a deal breaker for me but only because of location. I check the theater locator on the website every month or so to see if they've added Landmark as its my only local theater. I don't get what makes it so premium. Prices are the same and the only difference is the screens are smaller. They rarely even host esoteric indie stuff.

Top Bottom