• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies Anywhere - New Digital Movie Locker

Huh, so if I log into my UV account now, my library there is completely empty. Totally barren. Weird.

Also, I'm sure this has been brought up but similar to the iTunes situation with 4K, if you use the app-version of YouTube and peruse your linked MA library, several of them will display "4K" under the movie but when you try to watch them all you get is 1080p according to the "Stats for Nerds" option.

Yeah I checked on iPad and my Mac.. I have no MA section or mention of any kind in the appropriate settings area. MA says it's connected though. :-(

Several of us have the same issue. MA says they are working on it. We just have to be patient for now.

DOWN

Banned
This is arguably the most significant venture in digital movie ownership yet right?

It’s a step up from UV, is backed by Disney, and connects to Apple devices natively... That’s gigantic.

kaskade

Wario64 just tweeted a deal for Wonder Woman on amazon for 10 bucks. Pretty awesome knowing we can find deals on services we don’t usually use and still benefit. Especially since iTunes will give you the 4K version.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Wario64 just tweeted a deal for Wonder Woman on amazon for 10 bucks. Pretty awesome knowing we can find deals on services we don’t usually use and still benefit. Especially since iTunes will give you the 4K version.

it won't. it will give you a 1200p HDR version on iTunes. The only way to get 4K on iTunes for now is directly from iTunes (purchase or HD digital code)

giga

$10 Wonder Woman is a great deal. Bought on Amazon and it's only showed up on Vudu and MA so far. Nothing yet on iTunes.

Is there an official deal thread for digital movies? If not this should be it.

J-Skee

it won't. it will give you a 1200p HDR version on iTunes. The only way to get 4K on iTunes for now is directly from iTunes (purchase or HD digital code)

You wanna know what's funny? I was just looking into the Blu-ray for Wonder Woman & it doesn't include an iTunes digital copy. It looks like it's only UV. So you couldn't even benefit from that from the physical copy. You have to buy it directly from iTunes.

borghe

You wanna know what's funny? I was just looking into the Blu-ray for Wonder Woman & it doesn't include an iTunes digital copy. It looks like it's only UV. So you couldn't even benefit from that from the physical copy. You have to buy it directly from iTunes.

I am "hoping" that 4K movies on UV/Vudu/Google will give you 4K on iTunes. At least that way some non-iTunes digital copies will have some value for us (4K codes)

but yeah... as is, HD UV codes are not a great deal for users primarily using iTunes and enjoying free 4K upgrades.

edit - actually this appears to be the same way everywhere. People are saying HD movies are showing up as 4K on google also, but playing in HD. So so far the only verified 4K that we know of is between Google and Vudu.

Fox Mulder

This is arguably the most significant venture in digital movie ownership yet right?

It's a step up from UV, is backed by Disney, and connects to Apple devices natively... That's gigantic.

it's apple, google, disney, amazon, vudu/walmart, fox, warner, sony, universal. The others will come on board eventually.

ecosystem division only gets in the way of digital adoption. Now my shit is everywhere and I can buy from anywhere. I've already bought things on amazon that added to Vudu in a few minutes. It works great and I'll excuse any early issues they have with accounts merging.

borghe

yeah, I really see this driving digital purchases. I was talking with a buddy, who isn't hardcore against digital purchases, but definitely sees more bad than good with them. He feels that streaming services are the future... and I disagreed with him based solely around the streaming pricing model doesn't support giving us access to more than we have now.. i.e. a rotating selection of content.

digital retailers definitely have a place alongside streaming services. Apple bumping rentals up to 48 hours now, and being able to rent virtually any movie from the comfort of your home or buying the ones you really care about (or get a deal on). Once they get 4K lined up, being able to actually shop around between retailers finding the best prices, etc (and in fact you can right now if you don't care about 4K)

this is probably the biggest move for the industry since Netflix, and since iTunes before that. We've never had access like this to movies before. Instantaneous AND deal shopping.

giga

$10 Wonder Woman is a great deal. Bought on Amazon and it's only showed up on Vudu and MA so far. Nothing yet on iTunes.

Disconnecting in iTunes Account and reconnecting it in MA fixed it. Shows up in iTunes now.

DOWN

Banned
it's apple, google, disney, amazon, vudu/walmart, fox, warner, sony, universal. The others will come on board eventually.

ecosystem division only gets in the way of digital adoption. Now my shit is everywhere and I can buy from anywhere. I've already bought things on amazon that added to Vudu in a few minutes. It works great and I'll excuse any early issues they have with accounts merging.
I mean it is Disney who set this up. Disney created Disney Movies Anywhere, a more brilliant version of UV. Now, years later, they manage to kill UV by grabbing most of the studios behind it AND securing Apple’s continued participation with Disney that Apple never gave to UV.

kaskade

Really? That’s so odd. I guess getting hdr isn’t so bad though. I figured iTunes would just get the 4K version since they seem to just default it to that if you own the hd version with a 4K Apple TV.

Hopefully we can get this cleared up in terms of what we actually get buying it cross platform.

DOWN

Banned
yeah, I really see this driving digital purchases. I was talking with a buddy, who isn't hardcore against digital purchases, but definitely sees more bad than good with them. He feels that streaming services are the future... and I disagreed with him based solely around the streaming pricing model doesn't support giving us access to more than we have now.. i.e. a rotating selection of content.

digital retailers definitely have a place alongside streaming services. Apple bumping rentals up to 48 hours now, and being able to rent virtually any movie from the comfort of your home or buying the ones you really care about (or get a deal on). Once they get 4K lined up, being able to actually shop around between retailers finding the best prices, etc (and in fact you can right now if you don't care about 4K)

this is probably the biggest move for the industry since Netflix, and since iTunes before that. We've never had access like this to movies before. Instantaneous AND deal shopping.
Yeah and Apple’s model for 4K is excellent too. All we need is crossover of 4K purchases so we can buy those Anywhere, and then TV Shows like UV had, and we’ll be all set once the other studios are in.

The_Kid

Huh, so if I log into my UV account now, my library there is completely empty. Totally barren. Weird.

Also, I'm sure this has been brought up but similar to the iTunes situation with 4K, if you use the app-version of YouTube and peruse your linked MA library, several of them will display "4K" under the movie but when you try to watch them all you get is 1080p according to the "Stats for Nerds" option.

Several of us have the same issue. MA says they are working on it. We just have to be patient for now.

Same. I wanted to delete some free SD movies I got from vudu that I don't want transferring. but no movies show up in my UV collection? Yet in Vudu it shows everything.

inner-G

Banned
My iTunes isn't working with it.

Also, MA options don't show up at all in my iTunes on mac or phone, but when I try to 'disconnect' from MA via app or website, it prompts me to go to iTunes to disconnect it!

Weevilone

Also, MA options don't show up at all in my iTunes on mac or phone, but when I try to 'disconnect' from MA via app or website, it prompts me to go to iTunes to disconnect it!

Yeah that's exactly where I'm at, and several others.

DOWN

Banned
So we are safe buying basically any movie on iTunes right? Like even if it’s not sold in 4K now, if there ever is a 4K version the iTunes policy is to upgrade it free?

Like I see Dawn of the Dead 2004 on sale for $5 on iTunes in HD... if it ever comes in 4K they’ll upgrade it right? What studios besides Disney are holdouts in the free 4K upgrades? I know Disney Movies as of now won’t do free 4K upgrades

dallow_bg

nods at old men

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1400379

This is the discussion and code giveaway thread.

It's not like Ultraviolet was started by nobody. It was a giant partnership just like MA.

UltraViolet is deployed by the Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem, an alliance of 85 companies that includes film studios, retailers, consumer electronics manufacturers, cable TV companies, ISPs, network hosting vendors, and other Internet systems and security vendors

Major film studios
--Sony Pictures Entertainment
--Universal Studios
--Paramount Motion Pictures Group
--Warner Bros. Entertainment
--Fox Entertainment Group

Minor Film Studios
--DreamWorks Animation
--Lionsgate
--The Weinstein Company
--Relativity Media
--Roadshow Entertainment
--Anchor Bay

Television Studios
--BBC
--HBO

Rootbeer

Banned
So... it seems the digital copy that comes with spider-man homecoming (at least the steelbook version I ordered from Best Buy) comes with an e-mailed code that redeems on Fandango Now. First time I've had that happen.

I setup Fandango Now, and it will link to UV. No Movies Anywhere -- least not yet.

Does anyone know if Fandango Now syncs the movies you buy/redeem on it to UV (and thus Vudu, etc.), because it's definitely a Fandango Now code -- not UV.

Weevilone

I was thinking it couldn't hurt to sit on the MA help line for a while since I'm alone and doing other things anyways.

After listening to the hold music for a while I'm rethinking it.

So... it seems the digital copy that comes with spider-man homecoming (at least the steelbook version I ordered from Best Buy) comes with an e-mailed code that redeems on Fandango Now. First time I've had that happen.

I setup Fandango Now, and it will link to UV. No Movies Anywhere -- least not yet.

Does anyone know if Fandango Now syncs the movies you buy/redeem on it to UV (and thus Vudu, etc.), because it's definitely a Fandango Now code -- not UV.

Edit: See below a few posts.

borghe

So we are safe buying basically any movie on iTunes right? Like even if it's not sold in 4K now, if there ever is a 4K version the iTunes policy is to upgrade it free?
depends on what your goal is.

Free iTunes upgrades to 4K? Yes, 100% safe. This was the big deal that apple made. ANY HD movie you buy on iTunes will get the 4K version when available.
edit - major major major disclaimer. Studios some times release "new versions" of movies on iTunes. This effectively delists the old version(s). More often than not, this doesn't happen. But it DOES happen on occasion. I feel it's safe to assume that IF a studio delisted an old version, and upgraded a new release to 4K, people who owned the old version wouldn't get 4K. Much like people who own the old version now don't get iTunes Extras and such. You still have access to your movie, but they won't get upgraded. This happened most recently to me with Alien and Aliens. I still have access to the Director's Cuts and even the iTunes Extras for the copies I bought.. but the new versions that come in the 6 pack with the theatrical and director's cuts combined are not available to me. So if THOSE versions eventually get a 4K upgrade.. I'm probably screwed.

MA access to 4K movies then on other services? So far it's looking like no.

yes, FandangoNow syncs to Vudu. I actually had to sync flixster to fandango then fandango to Vudu to get the couple of UV movies I had.

DOWN

Banned

It will sync to Vudu via UV and then will be on your MA account :)

Yeah that's exactly where I'm at, and several others.

Same boat. No options to disconnect, says it's linked, nothing transferring over.

I haven't tried calling them since I don't own anything on iTunes, but I do eventually want them linked to watch stuff on my iPad. Also like the potential for upgrading stuff to UHD.

I was thinking it couldn't hurt to sit on the MA help line for a while since I'm alone and doing other things anyways.

After listening to the hold music for a while I'm rethinking it.

If you stick around, I'm interested to hear what they tell you.

J-Skee

I am "hoping" that 4K movies on UV/Vudu/Google will give you 4K on iTunes. At least that way some non-iTunes digital copies will have some value for us (4K codes)

but yeah... as is, HD UV codes are not a great deal for users primarily using iTunes and enjoying free 4K upgrades.

edit - actually this appears to be the same way everywhere. People are saying HD movies are showing up as 4K on google also, but playing in HD. So so far the only verified 4K that we know of is between Google and Vudu.

I'm noticing that with Google Play, if the movie is available in 4K, the website will always say that, even if you only own the HD version. The only way I've been able to determine a difference is with the Google Play app. I just rented Blade Runner in 4K & it says the resolution is available, but every other movie I own doesn't say it.
eqb5I94.jpg

So, app good, website bad.

CaptainColada

Neo Member
Anyone have issues with some movies showing in SD on VUDU after migrating the services?

I have a no movies that were sd anywhere before hand.

J-Skee

Really? Damn, I wanted the 4K Blu-ray along with a 4K code, but it's not iTunes. Screw it, just gonna buy the movie through Google or Vudu.

Weevilone

Really? Damn, I wanted the 4K Blu-ray along with a 4K code, but it's not iTunes. Screw it, just gonna buy the movie through Google or Vudu.

Chill for a minute. I just redeemed the code he's talking about and am waiting for it to port over.

Edit:

Redeem the code on FandangoNOW. It'll basically credit your account with a free Spider-Man Homecoming UHD movie.

Now go actually buy the UHD version of the movie on Fandango website and it'll zero out the purchase b/c of the code you applied already. Make sure you get the proper 4k version when you buy.

It's already ported to my Sony and Vudu accounts as UHD. I can't tell you about iTunes b/c my iTunes link is FUBAR. It shows as UV and MA on Vudu so it should go to iTunes fine, but not sure what version.

To be clear, this is a special code Best Buy e-mails out for their preorder promo. The actual physical movie will contain another code, which can be donated, traded, etc.

UV had many studios but it lacked the biggest two digital retailers in Apple and Amazon and the biggest film studio in Disney.

I don't blame UV, nor do I feel like heaping praise on Disney for MA. It just depends on how you look at it. Apple and Disney are very close and share board members. Basically, UV was blocked from achieving critical mass because Disney and their pals at Apple didn't want to play ball. So from one POV they inconvenienced customers for years because they didn't want to participate in somebody else's service. But now that THEY are in control of the centralized platform they are willing to do all this. So instead of saviors you could look at them as selfish. The main reason UV wasn't the solution years ago wasn't necessarily because of anything UV did or didn't do. They probably tried, but Disney basically said "Fuck you, we'll only participate if we're in charge". So now they are, and their pals at Apple are onboard, which leads to this great support from all involved, and I'm sure the other holdouts like Paramount will fall like dominoes.

I'm not saying this isn't a great thing for consumers, it certainly is, but IMO we could have basically had this years ago if it weren't for Disney/Apple self-interest.

Rootbeer

Banned
Chill for a minute. I just redeemed the code he's talking about and am waiting for it to port over.

Edit:

Redeem the code on FandangoNOW. It'll basically credit your account with a free Spider-Man Homecoming UHD movie.

Now go actually buy the UHD version of the movie on Fandango website and it'll zero out the purchase b/c of the code you applied already. Make sure you get the proper 4k version when you buy.

It's already ported to my Sony and Vudu accounts as UHD. I can't tell you about iTunes b/c my iTunes link is FUBAR. It shows as UV and MA on Vudu so it should go to iTunes fine, but not sure what version.

To be clear, this is a special code Best Buy e-mails out for their preorder promo. The actual physical movie will contain another code, which can be donated, traded, etc.
I did as you explained, and now the movie shows up on my fandango now account. it's also showing on sony and vudu. not showing on my other linked services like itunes or movies anywhere though, if it ever will.

DOWN

Banned
I don't blame UV, nor do I feel like heaping praise on Disney for MA. It just depends on how you look at it. Apple and Disney are very close and share board members. Basically, UV was blocked from achieving critical mass because Disney and their pals at Apple didn't want to play ball. So from one POV they inconvenienced customers for years because they didn't want to participate in somebody else's service. But now that THEY are in control of the centralized platform they are willing to do all this. So instead of saviors you could look at them as selfish. The main reason UV wasn't the solution years ago wasn't necessarily because of anything UV did or didn't do. They probably tried, but Disney basically said "Fuck you, we'll only participate if we're in charge". So now they are, and their pals at Apple are onboard, which leads to this great support from all involved, and I'm sure the other holdouts like Paramount will fall like dominoes.

I'm not saying this isn't a great thing for consumers, it certainly is, but IMO we could have basically had this years ago if it weren't for Disney/Apple self-interest.
You are romanticizing UV. A bunch of studios weaker than Disney were desperate to ward off losing control of digital sales. Disney didn’t want to agree to their control, and believed they could do better than UV - and they did. DMA was better than UV - it upgraded old SD movies to HD, and even accepted expired movie codes. It also played nice with huge services like Apple and Walmart’s Vudu. UV was the messy one. They wanted to strong arm Apple, but it was messy and not as polished as DMA. It didn’t fix people’s mess of mixed DVD and HD codes, and even didn’t allow downloading in the early days. Many smaller studio UV movies even still included an iTunes code because they were angering a fragmented base anyway.

UV was worse than DMA because it didn’t consolidate SD into HD, but also you can’t just be ignoring that Disney did better by getting a system Apple, Vudu, Google, and more could agree with. That’s not something that you can pretend wasn’t UV’s fault and was bad guys at Apple and Disney for.

Weevilone

I did as you explained, and now the movie shows up on my fandango now account. it's also showing on sony and vudu. not showing on my other linked services like itunes or movies anywhere though, if it ever will.

iTunes, etc should be fine. The MA page has a warning up that it can currently take 8 hours for a movie to migrate.

So apparently both Apple and MA are aware that there’s a glitch where iTunes thinks no MA account is connected, and MA still thinks there is. Meaning nothing is syncing and I can’t disconnect and reconnect. Fix incoming, no time frame.

So now I wait.

Rootbeer

Banned
Early days, don't you love it?

When all the dust settles though it's gonna be like a utopia.

I don't own a lot of digital TV shows, but I wish they'd work on something similar for that too, where these various distributors can come together like this.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You are romanticizing UV. A bunch of studios weaker than Disney were desperate to ward off losing control of digital sales. Disney didn't want to agree to their control, and believed they could do better than UV - and they did. DMA was better than UV - it upgraded old SD movies to HD, and even accepted expired movie codes. It also played nice with huge services like Apple and Walmart's Vudu. UV was the messy one. They wanted to strong arm Apple, but it was messy and not as polished as DMA. It didn't fix people's mess of mixed DVD and HD codes, and even didn't allow downloading in the early days. Many smaller studio UV movies even still included an iTunes code because they were angering a fragmented base anyway.

UV was worse than DMA because it didn't consolidate SD into HD, but also you can't just be ignoring that Disney did better by getting a system Apple, Vudu, Google, and more could agree with. That's not something that you can pretend wasn't UV's fault and was bad guys at Apple and Disney for.

The only real difference is the SD to HD which... I guess is neat for some of the really old crap I had redeemed years and years ago. Most were upgraded with subsequent codes from Bluray purchases already.

Expired UV codes work all the time. I've rarely come across any that don't.

It's all the same crap, a nice big digital locker. UV worked fine, I have nearly (checks again) 1,724 movies on VUDU. About 95% of that is UV with a big chunk coming from disc to digital conversion (which by the way, is sweet and not part of MA)

If finally all studios agree and join in, awesome. But UV wasn't struggling or anything.

Weevilone

So apparently both Apple and MA are aware that there's a glitch where iTunes thinks no MA account is connected, and MA still thinks there is. Meaning nothing is syncing and I can't disconnect and reconnect. Fix incoming, no time frame.

So now I wait.

So you talked to them or something?

I've been on hold for 2:15 and I'm going to feel like a quitter.

Edit: Annnnd at 2:16 it rang thru (queue excitement) and I got a message explaining that I should try again later b/c they are having system problems.

onQ123

I got the email & read that Disney Movies Anywhere was ending & panicked for a second lol then seen that it was actually a upgrade to the service then transferred my account. noticed some new movies in my account & wondered where they came from checked google & found out that they give me 5 movies just for using Movies Anywhere.

So you talked to them or something?

I've been on hold for 2:15 and I'm going to feel like a quitter.

Edit: Annnnd at 2:16 it rang thru (queue excitement) and I got a message explaining that I should try again later b/c they are having system problems.

Someone on MacRumors with the same issue called both of them up and they said the same thing

Fox Mulder

So apparently both Apple and MA are aware that there’s a glitch where iTunes thinks no MA account is connected, and MA still thinks there is. Meaning nothing is syncing and I can’t disconnect and reconnect. Fix incoming, no time frame.

So now I wait.

patience is good advice really.

i waited forever in chat to ask about my DMA account not migrating to MA, and they said it was a generic error due to the high volume and it should go through eventually.

A lot of these issues should go away in a few days or whatever.

DOWN

Banned

So now I wait.
Any comments on the movies saying 4K in the info pane on iTunes but not playing in 4K unless they were originally bought on iTunes?

Ashhong

go to iTunes, Account, and see if Movies Anywhere shows up as connected?

check in iTunes on a device if you can. or if you did check iTunes on the PC. Movies Anywhere should show up in your account with a Disconnect button/link.

correct. though currently it seems some users are seeing issues or extreme delays in stuff syncing.

Whereabouts should I see MA in iTunes? I'm on my account page and it has Apple ID Summary, iTunes in the Cloud, Purchase History, and Settings. Don't see MA anywhere, but it says my iTunes is linked in MA

edit: just saw Zeyphs post, I guess I'll wait it out

I signed up for MA and it ported over my DMA account seamlessly. I then connected Amazon and VUDU. Am I right to hold off on Apple for now? That process still sounds like a buggy mess. Plus, I wonder if there will be a future freebie offer for connecting more accounts?

Disney didn't want to agree to their control, and believed they could do better than UV - and they did.

Sure they did...three years later when they launched DMA, which is a long time in the world of technology. Disney basically saw UV and had time to build their own solution from scratch learning from every UV mistake. They wanted to own the system. I firmly believe that had Disney gotten on board with UV, Apple would have followed, and then your Amazons and Googles would have had no choice but to play along.

For the record, I never had any problems with UV being "messy" etc. But like I said, it all depends on how you look at it, which devices and ecosystem you prefer, etc. UV worked fine for me.

And again, I'm not saying UV didn't have issues, or that MA is not great. I think MA is going to be a great solution. I'm not tearing it down. Just looking at it in a different light.

DOWN

Banned
Sure they did...three years later when they launched DMA, which is a long time in the world of technology. Disney basically saw UV and had time to build their own solution from scratch learning from every UV mistake. They wanted to own the system. I firmly believe that had Disney gotten on board with UV, Apple would have followed, and then your Amazons and Googles would have had no choice but to play along.

For the record, I never had an problems with UV being "messy" etc. But like I said, it all depends on how you look at it, which devices and ecosystem you prefer, etc. UV worked fine for me.

And again, I'm not saying UV didn't have issues, or that MA is not great. I think MA is going to be a great solution. I'm not tearing it down. Just looking at it in a different light.
This is some spin and imagination tho. UV adopted features of DMA, and MA is more like DMA than UV. DMA also would find your old purchases and turn them HD and put them in DMA. UV didn’t. The competition made both better, but we knew about DMA being developed before UV (just known as Keychest rather than DMA powered by Keychest).

Top Bottom