• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies Anywhere - New Digital Movie Locker

DOWN

Banned
My old Dark Knight SD digital copy I redeemed in iTunes years ago stayed SD on the original iTunes account, but turned HD everywhere else. So iTunes won’t upgrade old redeemed movies that are already there?

And if I were to redeem an SD code I have lying around in iTunes now that’s MA is a thing... will iTunes make it SD still while the rest of the MA and retailers tied to it will get HD? That would be stupid no?

In theory should all old SD codes from DVDs now redeem as HD on iTunes or what’s the best practice here?

J_Viper

Yeah, iTunes is the only one that has yet to sync my library.

Kinda bummed they couldn't get Paramount and Lionsgate on board though. I've got a ton of digital films from them.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
24 hours later, my Vudu library still never synced. I emailed support but I'm not expecting to hear back anytime soon. Hopefully they're not like Moviepass and completely ignore all customer service requests.

My old Dark Knight SD digital copy I redeemed in iTunes years ago stayed SD on the original iTunes account, but turned HD everywhere else. So iTunes won’t upgrade old redeemed movies that are already there?

And if I were to redeem an SD code I have lying around in iTunes now that’s MA is a thing... will iTunes make it SD still while the rest of the MA and retailers tied to it will get HD? That would be stupid no?

In theory should all old SD codes from DVDs now redeem as HD on iTunes or what’s the best practice here?

It doesn’t seem consistent. For example I had a lot of SD VUDU movies come over to iTunes and Amazon in HD, but I had an HD Amazon movie get redeemed elsewhere in SD. And one SD movie from VUDU went everywhere else in SD. In theory whatever quality you have should stay intact in the other stores, but that doesn’t seem to be the case always, or even most of the time. The service where it started won’t upgrade, but it may upgrade when moved to a different service for unknown reasons. So if you redeem an SD code on iTunes it will stay SD there while other services get HD, maybe. That’s not a guarantee and that behavior may be fixed down the road.

As for everyone not being able to disconnect iTunes, there is a solution. If you scour through your internet history to the very first time you clicked on the connect link and it popped you over to iTunes, clicking on that link again WILL work. It’ll be an iTunes redirect link with a unique code on the end of it. I just did it, and movies are now flowing to iTunes where they weren’t before and the big fat Disconnect button is back on my iTunes account

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

Snaku

Banned

Not to dick measure, but I'm at over a thousand now. With UV codes basically being dirt cheap, Vudu running amazing sales almost every week, T-Mobile Tuesday giving away free $5 Vudu codes, and frequent use of Vudu's disc-to-digital program, it was quite easy to amass a lot of movies over time.

Not to dick measure, but I'm at over a thousand now. With UV codes basically being dirt cheap, Vudu running amazing sales almost every week, T-Mobile Tuesday giving away free $5 Vudu codes, and frequent use of Vudu's disc-to-digital program, it was quite easy to amass a lot of movies over time.

I’m always amazed by people with collections that big. Don’t think I’ve even seen that many movies.

DOWN

Banned
It doesn’t seem consistent. For example I had a lot of SD VUDU movies come over to iTunes and Amazon in HD, but I had an HD Amazon movie get redeemed elsewhere in SD. And one SD movie from VUDU went everywhere else in SD. In theory whatever quality you have should stay intact in the other stores, but that doesn’t seem to be the case always, or even most of the time. The service where it started won’t upgrade, but it may upgrade when moved to a different service for unknown reasons. So if you redeem an SD code on iTunes it will stay SD there while other services get HD, maybe. That’s not a guarantee and that behavior may be fixed down the road.

As for everyone not being able to disconnect iTunes, there is a solution. If you scour through your internet history to the very first time you clicked on the connect link and it popped you over to iTunes, clicking on that link again WILL work. It’ll be an iTunes redirect link with a unique code on the end of it. I just did it, and movies are now flowing to iTunes where they weren’t before and the big fat Disconnect button is back on my iTunes account
Do HD codes turn into 4K if there’s a 4K version on iTunes now? Like entering a code from a Blu Ray makes it 4K on iTunes or it stays like the code?

And I guess this means I should redeem SD codes on the old iTunes account and share them over to the current iTunes account I use or else they’ll redeem as SD even in 2017 and be stuck that way on iTunes?

Do HD codes turn into 4K if there’s a 4K version on iTunes now? Like entering a code from a Blu Ray makes it 4K on iTunes or it stays like the code?

And I guess this means I should redeem SD codes on the old iTunes account and share them over to the current iTunes account I use or else they’ll redeem as SD even in 2017 and be stuck that way on iTunes?

Both of those answers I don’t know, sorry.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I’m always amazed by people with collections that big. Don’t think I’ve even seen that many movies.

My boss has only seen like 40 movies. He hadn't seen any until four years ago.
I'm into five figures.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Commence "dick waving" ;)

CA7IOqA.png

louiedog

I'm always amazed by people with collections that big. Don't think I've even seen that many movies.

I knew someone with like 4,000 movies on VHS. Many of them recorded from from satellite back when you needed to punch a few buttons to turn the giant dish and point it at a different satellite to tune into different channels. He had a huge binder just with the lists and information about what was on those tapes.

I can't imagine how many man hours went into that collection which, with the exception of what might be some rare stuff, has been kind of useless for 15 years. It's so much easier now.

As for everyone not being able to disconnect iTunes, there is a solution. If you scour through your internet history to the very first time you clicked on the connect link and it popped you over to iTunes, clicking on that link again WILL work. It’ll be an iTunes redirect link with a unique code on the end of it. I just did it, and movies are now flowing to iTunes where they weren’t before

Thanks for this but it didn’t work for me. iTunes just returns an “Unable to connect accounts“ error. On the bright side, my account page does show a pending status for MoviesAnywhere so maybe that’s why it didn’t work.

I just redeemed what I’m pretty sure was a regular Blu-Ray code for Ghost In The Shell directly in iTunes and it is now 4K in iTunes. Take that for what you will...

Do you have an Apple TV 4K to play them in? The movies from MA say 4K but never actually get to that resolution, they play in HD with HDR, I wonder if blu-ray redeems do the same

DOWN

Banned
Do you have an Apple TV 4K to play them in? The movies from MA say 4K but never actually get to that resolution, they play in HD with HDR, I wonder if blu-ray redeems do the same
I don’t have one to test on. But this code was redeemed in iTunes and not in MA. Wish I could test, sorry lol

I don’t have one to test on. But this code was redeemed in iTunes and not in MA. Wish I could test, sorry lol

Right, I just didn’t know if code redeems were subject to the same resolution restrictions as MA, when coming from a blu-ray instead of UHD. I’m guessing not, but still good to get confirmation on

So does Movies Anywhere pull from my ultraviolet movies? All my ultraviolet movies are in there now..

If you have UV hooked up to VUDU, then yes

Machine

So does Movies Anywhere pull from my ultraviolet movies? All my ultraviolet movies are in there now..

All of them? Paramount and Lionsgate and (maybe) MGM are not part of the initial studios participating. Only about 3/4 of my movies were pulled.

Cheebo

Banned
Nah, they did. Do. Present tense.
How long will present tense last though? From talking to MA support the other day physical releases in the near future from the participating studios will no longer come with UV or DMA redemption codes, but will switch to MA codes.

How long can UV remain alive with only Paramount, MGM, and Lionsgate going forward? Not long I imagine.

How long will present tense last though? From talking to MA support the other day physical releases in the near future fron the participating studios will no longer come with UV or DMA redemption codes, but will switch to MA codes.

How long can UV remain alive with only Paramount, MGM, and Lionsgate going forward? Not long I imagine.

Oh for sure, I don’t think UV is long for this world. Just saying that as of this exact moment, it’s still alive and kicking.

I fully believe that Lionsgate, Paramount, and MGM will be on MA before long, for a couple possibly by the end of the year

DOWN

Banned
Yeah remember that WB and a few others jumped to UV before the rest. There’s always a little bit of staggered.

Wollan

Does this solve regional problems? Can I move around the world and will my movie collection still be available?

edit: U.S residents only.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I just redeemed what I’m pretty sure was a regular Blu-Ray code for Ghost In The Shell directly in iTunes and it is now 4K in iTunes. Take that for what you will...
Yes. Redeem all HD copies directly on iTunes to get the free 4K upgrade. If you redeem them on another service though, and they come to iTunes through MA, you won’t get the 4K version even though it says it on the page. When you play it it will say HD HDR.

I have about a dozen HD digital copies that are now 4K.

sensui-tomo

For some reason my itune account says its linked to my MA (on MA page) but hasnt done anything in over a day and yet doesnt allow me to cancel it in my account info(desync it) so i'm wondering whom i should contact, since nothing is showing up from/ or on my itunes.

For some reason my itune account says its linked to my MA (on MA page) but hasnt done anything in over a day and yet doesnt allow me to cancel it in my account info(desync it) so i'm wondering whom i should contact, since nothing is showing up from/ or on my itunes.

You're in good company with at least three of us. People called earlier and they were told to wait for a bit.

Mine finally says pending at least under my iTunes account. Still shows as linked under Movies Anywhere when it's clearly not.

They’re aware of the issue, working on it

That being said I solved it by going through my browser history and found the original iTunes redirect link, and went through it again. Got everything moving again

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Once I got passed registration using VPN, the service works outside of the US.
Yup, same as DMA did beforehand.

I'm annoyed now because I just really that all my movies actually aren't at one place. It seems that Wreck it Ralph was removed from all of my libraries... So I'm gonna to have to contact them about this? Kill Bill, Interstellar, Star Trek, and Django are on all on VUDU, but not Google Play (I think this makes sense since not all the studios are on board, but why didn't Interstellar transfer?).

I'm most annoyed about actually having a film removed.

Edit: The film doesn't even show up in my DMA account or as a $0.00 purchase in my Google Play account. Can't find any email confirmation too. The way it worked was that if you link your DMA and Google Play account, you got Wreck it Ralph for free. I guess it was never truly "free". Fuck that.
FWIW, I got Wreck-It Ralph that way and it never appeared as a $0 purchase on Google Play, the only reference was the email confirmation on it being added to DMA. And it does seem like that Wreck-It Ralph is a special case, as last year when I had to renew the connection from DMA to Google Play what you describe did happen to me though, and it sorted itself out reappearing on DMA and everything else after a day or 2. I say it's a special case as Monsters Inc, the other DMA movie I got in a similar manner, had nothing happen to it at all, it never vanished or anything.

Nope, ends with authorizations for me. Can't unlink it from MA because it says 180 days or something before you can relink it. So I guess my only choice is to wait?

Still can't migrate my DMA either..
The 180 day limit is for connecting to *different* accounts, can unlink and relink the same accounts as frequent as you wish (for example I had to do it with my Vudu account to have the UV movies show up)

Commence "dick waving" ;)

CA7IOqA.png
Nice.
How's Baby Driver in UHD?
(and Spiderman Homecoming while we are at it xD)

Does this solve regional problems? Can I move around the world and will my movie collection still be available?

edit: U.S residents only.
Not really, since you can use it outside the US, you'd need jump through a few hoops as for it to work you require a VPN/DNS and a US bank issued credit card.

So do I have to make a new account for this or will my Disney Movies Anywhere account work?

EDIT: Nevermind. Found out myself. Verification doesn't seem to be working though.

Fox Mulder

Yeah, it's easy over time. Good sales on catalog titles and people sell codes for a few bucks. like I'll get a 4k spiderman code on Tuesday for $5 or whatever like I do every week really.

MA will make me buy more as I can use deals from Amazon or Google and get it on vudu. Just bought the unrated cut for the evil dead remake that isn't out on bluray in the US as Amazon had it a free bucks less than Vudu.

DOWN

Banned
So do I have to make a new account for this or will my Disney Movies Anywhere account work?
Needs to be a new account but you should use the same email as you used for DMA because there will be an easy button to merge your DMA movies into your new MA account

The fact that Disney was able to get other studios and providers to embrace their DMA/MA solution leads me to believe they will be able to get some movies/shows/programs from other studios for their OTT netflix competitor coming out next year. And based on what Iger said recently, probably get some content from other sports providers for their ESPN OTT app as well.

I am not saying they are going to get everything, just like they didn't for this thing, but I think they will get some stuff and have different "tiers" for their OTT solutions. I won't at all be surprised if something like Jurassic Park or Avatar is made available on their service, possibly even R rated movies as well, under a different tier and strict parental guidelines, of course. Same with ESPN and getting something on the service that they don't own the rights to like world swimming championships, world cup rugby, and UFC prelims.

I'm also curious about this when it comes to MA:

Viacom Inc.’s Paramount Pictures is the only one of the six major studios that isn’t joining Movies Anywhere, because of a disagreement over financial terms, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private.

Does that mean Disney is paying these studios to use this service? I can understand paying them for an OTT service, but not for this. How are they making money out of this? Licensing fee to use the technology?

DOWN

Banned
Wait doesn’t that Vudu Disc to Digital get wildly abused? Like you could “buy” 50 Blu rays and take them home, use the Mobile scan Disc to Digital option in the app, and return them?

Does that mean Disney is paying these studios to use this service? I can understand paying them for an OTT service, but not for this. How are they making money out of this? Licensing fee to use the technology?

There's the fact that in addition to everything else, I believe Movies Everywhere is still a retailer, so there's a negotiated cut that has to happen there. But I think the actual issue is that more than likely, there's some fee Disney has to pay, either for each movie that goes through the service (kind of unlikely), or an upfront fee for the studio to add their movies to the service (more likely), and that's what Paramount isn't liking.

Wait doesn't that Vudu Disc to Digital get wildly abused? Like you could ”buy" 50 Blu rays and take them home, use the Mobile scan Disc to Digital option in the app, and return them?

You don't necessarily have to buy them if you can find a way to scan the UPC off of something else. Even before with the disc based version you could fake the disc authentication. I think in general, the studios realize that it's a thing, but rationalize it away as they'd rather get the $2 from pirates through this than the zero dollars from pirates through straight downloading, and maybe luring them into an ecosystem makes them more likely to buy a few movies there too.

Snaku

Banned
Just noticed Return of the Living Dead is on sale this weekend on Vudu for $5. It's neither UV nor MA compatible, but I don't care. That movie is a treasure and a steal at that price.

Wait doesn’t that Vudu Disc to Digital get wildly abused? Like you could “buy” 50 Blu rays and take them home, use the Mobile scan Disc to Digital option in the app, and return them?

Eh, if you want to scam the at home system there are much more convenient ways of doing so. Vudu is well aware of that which is why they limit at home conversions to 100 per year, though I sincerely doubt they care whether you actually own the physical disc. They just want your money.

U2NUMB

This is slick as hell.. so now I can watch iTunes movies on my Roku through either Movies Anywhere app or even Vudu as it pushes to there. This is great shit..

There's the fact that in addition to everything else, I believe Movies Everywhere is still a retailer, so there's a negotiated cut that has to happen there. But I think the actual issue is that more than likely, there's some fee Disney has to pay, either for each movie that goes through the service (kind of unlikely), or an upfront fee for the studio to add their movies to the service (more likely), and that's what Paramount isn't liking.

Yeah, but then how does Disney make money off this? What's the business case for them here?

Top Bottom