• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies so good that never got a sequel

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Man-of-Steel-Poster-.jpg

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What happens to the joker after the dark knight? We were automatically signed up for dark knight rises and bane and honestly we all wanted more joker.

thefool

Inception.
Considering how boundless you are within the Inception universe, and how stupidly popular it was, that it never got a sequel, not even a rumor, is surprising even if its Nolan.

Last edited:

Toons

Something tells me we're gonna bitterly regret asking for a sequel all these years. Other than Blade Runner I can't remember a sequel of older franchises modern Hollywood hasn't ruined.

Top Gun

Planet of the Apes

Toons

Its not SO good, but I enjoyed John Carter and the end gets you amped for a sequel that will never come.

I maintain that John Carter was a masterclass on how to fail at marketing and distribution.

That film, released at a different time and with better marketing could've been the Dune of the 2010s.

There is a lot of love put into it and its portrayal is epic in scope and ambition, I literally never forgot it after seeing it, but the odds were stacked against it in a sense. First off the source material irs based on predates most modern sci fi storytelling, all of which mostly ripped it off, so that the adaptation of it seemed to be derivative. Its an unfortunate consequences.

Its a very long movie, with a title that means absolutely nothing to anyone who isn't already familiar with ERBs work. They really should've committed to including the "John Carter and the Princess of Mars" title or something. I have to imagine that they thought putting the word princess in the title would turn off boys, but they were woefully misguided because some average name like "John Carter" doesn't incite enthusiasm either.

The marketing was abysmal, the trailers didn't give off much, there was briruslly no merch; no action figures, no comic book tie ins that I know of, etc etc. They basically left it today.

The movie still holds up, its solid science fiction.

UnNamed

Banned
Spaceballs.

Actually here we had a movie called Spaceball 2, but it was just a marketing move renaming a movie that nothing had to do with Spaceballs. It was Martians Go Home anyway, a complete nonsense since even the setting was different.

What about failed superhero franchise starter movies that take place in the 1930s like The Phantom, The Shadow, and The Rocketeer

Ballthyrm

I want to say Gladiator...however...😳

Still, one of the best movie endings ever made, ever.
Some movies are better left as standalone.
Master and commander is the same.

All the conflicts are resolved by the end, the character arcs are completed.

What else do you want.

I'm still of the opinion that there is such a thing as cheapening a franchise or a piece of art by trying to a follow up.

For every Blade Runner 2049 , there is 10 or 20 Ghost in the shell or The last Airbender.

I think this thread reflect more what type of movie we want more of than actual sequel that would add characterisation to existing characters.

Big Trouble in Little China. Arguably the best film ever made and it never got a sequel. Before I forget James Hong was robbed, he didn't even get a best actor nomination.
I think I just fell in love with you Dave over this answer.

It's my fave ever film. I remember buying it on video with my Woolworths vouchers I got for Christmas.

"Yes sir, the cheque is in the maaaaail...."

Outpost #31

Running Scared (1986)

Would love to have seen a sequel to this as it's a personal favorite of mine. From what I've read they actually tried to do a sequel but could never get a good script together.
MV5BMTYzMDYyNDYwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODM2OTY2NA@@._V1_.jpg

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Its his next film there almost done with script. WERE GETTING DISTRICT 10 BABY!!

I hope so. Blomkamp's eye for grounded SciFi design is unmatched. Period

Although I rather have a full Rakka or Firebase movie.

Last edited:

CGNoire

I hope so. Blomkamp's eye for grounded SciFi design is unmatched. Period

Although I rather have a full Rakka or Firebase movie.

Oh for sure 100%
For me.
1.Zygote
2.Rakka or Firebase

Will some studio fund all 3 of those Goddammit. Like there alergic to money or something.

Last edited:

Loke

MV5BNGViZWZmM2EtNGYzZi00ZDAyLTk3ODMtNzIyZTBjN2Y1NmM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

The Thing has had sequels with comic books and a video game but I've always wanted an official movie sequel to it. I remember there were talks of a sequel during the 90's but nothing ever came to fruition. And of course the Syfy mini-series that got cancelled could've been something interesting.

kondorBonk

That's official for the DnD movie? It seemed primed for sequels and it looked like it was pretty well liked?

Edit: Looks like both a sequel is still on the table with Paramount looking for a smaller budget (Reported in July) and an 8 episode spin off is in green-lit with Paramont+.

Just no immediate plans for a sequel movie. For something not even a year old, doesn't sound too pessimistic.

Last edited:
At this point i am surprised that we havent gotten old Forrest Gump or Marty McFly’s daughter movies but i dont think Disney owns those (yet)

Top Bottom