• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| September 2017

shaneo632

Leatherface (2017) - 4.3/10. A disappointingly dull attempt to reinvigorate the Texas Chainsaw franchise, Leatherface is yet more proof that Inside was probably a fluke for directors Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo.

The premise is half-way intriguing and the visuals aren't too bad, but interest quickly evaporates when it becomes clear the whodunnit aspect is just a cheap hook on which to hang the usual horror fancies.

Stephen Dorff and Lili Taylor are trying, bless 'em, but they're so far above this material, and their characters are mere cardboard cutouts (like everyone else's).

Gore is basically fine but the kills themselves aren't particularly memorable or inventive, and there's barely any chainsaw action to speak of.

As for the "big reveal" as to Leatherface's identity, it's immensely underwhelming and caps off a film that really doesn't have much reason to exist.

lordxar

Have you ever read the book? I remember being shocked by how different the original story was after only the movies

Ooh...no I haven't. Old books are tough man. I love reading but at some point there's a language barrier between me and old timer that just bores the shit out of me. I've tried some Poe and Verne, Bram Stoker too which might be different but those were tough to get far into. That said I think I'll give this one a shot because I'm intrigued now.

Night of the Living Dead?
Silent Night?
Prom Night?

The "It Comes" part is more problematic than the "Night" part

Yeah I was being a little silly on the vampires. "It Comes At Night" would definitely be a great title for a vampire movie though.

It's just a bad title. It makes you assume something is going to happen or that something is coming when it isn't, or doesn't. Or maybe everyone only got sick at night? I'm trying to remember whether that was the case with the people who did get sick in the movie.

Ridley327

Leatherface (2017) - 4.3/10. A disappointingly dull attempt to reinvigorate the Texas Chainsaw franchise, Leatherface is yet more proof that Inside was probably a fluke for directors Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo.

The premise is half-way intriguing and the visuals aren't too bad, but interest quickly evaporates when it becomes clear the whodunnit aspect is just a cheap hook on which to hang the usual horror fancies.

Stephen Dorff and Lili Taylor are trying, bless 'em, but they're so far above this material, and their characters are mere cardboard cutouts (like everyone else's).

Gore is basically fine but the kills themselves aren't particularly memorable or inventive, and there's barely any chainsaw action to speak of.

As for the "big reveal" as to Leatherface's identity, it's immensely underwhelming and caps off a film that really doesn't have much reason to exist.

I am shocked, SHOCKED, that we got another terrible TCM film.

gamz

Yeah I was being a little silly on the vampires. "It Comes At Night" would definitely be a great title for a vampire movie though.

It's just a bad title. It makes you assume something is going to happen or that something is coming when it isn't, or doesn't. Or maybe everyone only got sick at night? I'm trying to remember whether that was the case with the people who did get sick in the movie.

The sickness, nightmares, and the open door.

I like the title and love the movie.

UrbanRats

The problems are with the movie, title or no title.
I'd say the title (and the trailer) are the best thing about it, exactly because they spark the imagination like they should.

The movie underdelivering and being riddled with cliches, isn't their fault.

Ooh...no I haven't. Old books are tough man. I love reading but at some point there's a language barrier between me and old timer that just bores the shit out of me. I've tried some Poe and Verne, Bram Stoker too which might be different but those were tough to get far into. That said I think I'll give this one a shot because I'm intrigued now.
Of all the classic lit I had to read for school, Frankenstein was among my favorites, alongside Lord of the Flies and 1984.

Actually, the most faithful version of the Frankenstein story might be in the show Penny Dreadful

Someone please help me on this.

What indie film production has a theme music that sounds like Jon Brion music? It's a really wistful tune.

EDIT: Found it! Jon Brion "Phone Call"

Now I can't find the film production logo that uses this music.

The sickness, nightmares, and the open door.

I like the title and love the movie.

Pretty sure not all the sickness came at night. The open door was one of the problems, suggesting there was an "it" involved.

The problems are with the movie, title or no title.
I'd say the title (and the trailer) are the best thing about it, exactly because they spark the imagination like they should.

The movie underdelivering and being riddled with cliches, isn't their fault.
Riddled might be harsh. Did you not find it a realistic portrayal given the setup?

shaneo632

Been to a christening party all day, gonna curl up in bed at our hotel with a few beers and watch some new movies. The Little Hours up first.

EDIT: The Little Hours (2017) - 5.4/10. This wasn't really what I was expecting at all. I went in anticipating a Your Highness-esque period parody (but hopefully actually funny this time), and came out having witnessed one of the most peculiar and tonally confused films I've seen in a long, long time.

Some scenes basically play out as broad, glorified SNL skits (much like most of Your Highness), while many are played totally straight-faced (or at a stretch, deadpan), and there are huge stretches of time without anything to laugh at.

Performances are solid across the board, especially Nick Offerman, Aubrey Plaza and John C. Reilly, but overall it was very meandering and messy.

Not quite sure who this movie was made for, really.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Split. Loved the movie, James McAvoy put on quite a performance here. Same for Anya Taylor-Joy. After this and The Witch I hope she lands more great parts. I'd already heard there was
some connection to Unbreakable with this movie, so the twist in the end felt a bit on the nose, but I think that's mostly because of the actress introducing the Bruce Willis reveal. Such a bad reading. So the third film will not only have him but also Sam Jackson... Pretty exciting.

Funny how Shyamalan made dud after dud, then suddenly got back on track with this. I mean supposedly, I haven't watched anything of his post The Village, but I think they're all duds? Then now suddenly this return to form.

Jackie (2016) - I came into this relatively blind, knowing others had a pretty solid opinion of it, but not really sure whether this was meant as a full biopic or something else. It's clearly something else. This is essentially the details of JFK's assassination, the impact it has on his wife, and her fight to have him interred in a manner she felt befitting to his legacy. Portman is both excellent and, at times, awkward. I don't know, I felt there were places where I felt she over-acting, trying far too hard to affect the Jackie's mannerisms or her speech patterns. It came off as being... awkward.

Solid directing, especially as we see the assassination from different angles spread across the film. Horrifying, sad, steadfast.

3.5 / 5

UrbanRats

Pretty sure not all the sickness came at night. The open door was one of the problems, suggesting there was an "it" involved.

Riddled might be harsh. Did you not find it a realistic portrayal given the setup?

I don't think realism has much to do with it.
It really has nothing separating it from The Road, Last of Us, The Rover and all the similar gritty post apocalypse stories, with the bearded roughed up (white) daddy, even the encounter with the other family goes pretty much as you'd expect, beat by beat.
I guess the interracial couple is sort of new in this context (?) but it's not like it amounts to anything particular, within the story.

At this point this persona in the context of a post-apocalypse, has become as much of a recurring fantasy as the "loser kid cast into Magic Land" or whatever other archetype you can think of.
It feels less the product of a strive for realism, and more of a lazy adherence to a well trodden fantasy scenario.

As i said previously, what saves the movie is a good direction/editing and sound design, to keep the tension high, even when nothing interesting is, effectively, happening.
Which may be good enough for a movie to have, i suppose.
It leaves you very empty once you're done, though.

Jackie (2016)

You forgot to mention the absolutely stellar Mica Levi soundtrack!

I don't think realism has much to do with it.
It really has nothing separating it from The Road, Last of Us, The Rover and all the similar gritty post apocalypse stories, with the bearded roughed up (white) daddy, even the encounter with the other family goes pretty much as you'd expect, beat by beat.
I guess the interracial couple is sort of new in this context (?) but it's not like it amounts to anything particular, within the story.

At this point this persona in the context of a post-apocalypse, has become as much of a recurring fantasy as the "loser kid cast into Magic Land" or whatever other archetype you can think of.
It feels less the product of a strive for realism, and more of a lazy adherence to a well trodden fantasy scenario.

As i said previously, what saves the movie is a good direction/editing and sound design, to keep the tension high, even when nothing interesting is, effectively, happening.
Which may be good enough for a movie to have, i suppose.
It leaves you very empty once you're done, though.

You forgot to mention the absolutely stellar Mica Levi soundtrack!

It Comes At Night - I see the point about the archetype. It's a good one. Hadn't really considered it in comparison, but the movies/games you mention all do have that element. And I agree the black wife/son didn't really amount to much of a difference. I thought they might have been going down a different road when the son was obviously attracted to the wife they brought in, but that also amounted to little.

Jackie - yes, the soundtrack was very good!

gamz

Split. Loved the movie, James McAvoy put on quite a performance here. Same for Anya Taylor-Joy. After this and The Witch I hope she lands more great parts. I'd already heard there was
some connection to Unbreakable with this movie, so the twist in the end felt a bit on the nose, but I think that's mostly because of the actress introducing the Bruce Willis reveal. Such a bad reading. So the third film will not only have him but also Sam Jackson... Pretty exciting.

Funny how Shyamalan made dud after dud, then suddenly got back on track with this. I mean supposedly, I haven't watched anything of his post The Village, but I think they're all duds? Then now suddenly this return to form.

It was a great reset for him. Self financed the last two movies for complete control and got back to what he does best. Visual and written storytelling in his unique way. Kudos.

lordxar

Bride of Frankenstein I think this is more the monster flick I expected of the first. He can tear down doors and do some damage but its only like one day later. Dem rez powers grow fast! It wasn't quite as good as the first and it really jumped into ramped up sequel fast but I still enjoyed it.

Texas Chainsaw 2 I think I may have rented this way back in college but that memory is far too hazy. Watching it quite a few things came to mind. First off this was a Cannon film of all people which explains some aspects of it; however, its not quite as insane or cheap as their other stuff. The next thing I caught was Bill Mosely. That voice is hard not to recognize and of course he utters the dog will hunt line that Primus uses.

I thought the movie was pretty good up until the fun park setting. That was a bit too Pee Wee's Playhouse for psychos rather than the gritty kill house of the first but that would probably be the Cannon involvement. Wasn't a terrible entry by any means and Dennis Hopper really played a good off his hinge cop seeking revenge.

the poster for Good Time has been catching my eye for a few weeks. finally got around to seeing it.

not a movie with a message, and I don't think it's one that'll leave a lasting impression, but it was a really fun ride.

the whole movie's about Pattinson's lowlife character adventure to get out of the mess he got himself into by robbing a bank (he was fantastic btw), but there's a scene in the middle where a side character is telling his story about getting into some shit the day before, and for 5+ minutes the movie is that guy's story, and you really get lost in it for a bit. I wish more movies did stuff like that

I really want to see this and it bums me out its been bought by Netflix or some nonsense here in the UK as I want to see it at the cinema.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - James Gunn

I found the first one the most tolerable marvel movie since iron man and had some curiosity to check it out. Sadly, this was simply unfunny, completely unadventurous and smallish which is downright bizarre for what is a galactic story. Gunn seems to think that setting the mood of any scene is to play a generic background music that contrasts with the visual. Not a good sign when the wwe guy is the best thing about it.

My Name is Nobody - Tonino Valerii

Albeit a Tonino Valerri movie this is mostly known for Leone's involvement (and the incredible Morricone soundtrack). It's a parody of the more serious western (and Leone's style), Terrence Hill plays something more akin to Trinita (although everything is a bit more serious ) and it's not merely funny and exaggerated but it's actually pretty amusing in how it plays with the concept of legend and heroic feats. Fonda plays it straight (and charming as fuck) in a setting extremely playful and it works so well, especially when the film sets its ambience through those wide shots, long buildups and Morricone riffs. There'a a few crane shots here that are straight Leone to the point I think he probably directed them.

shaneo632

Cult of Chucky (2017) - 5.6/10. Hard to call it a genuinely good film, but an enjoyable Chucky sequel nonetheless, largely thanks to the game performances from Brad and Fiona Dourif, some inventive gore and a tone that never takes itself too seriously.

The plot is, as expected, total nonsense and the film sags every moment the Dourifs are off-screen, but there are some crowd-pleasing reveals and the idea of multiple Chuckies does just enough to make this feel fresh enough.

Though straight to VOD signals the death knell for a lot of horror franchises, this actually seems like a pretty comfortable place for Chucky. The CGI is a little rough in places but the practical effects are great and the films don't exactly need well-known actors to play the meat puppets.

Divius

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World was as long as it was tiring as it was every so slightly amusing. Seen it described as a epic comedy, which is fitting. Not quite sure if I liked it.

My tempered expectations for Wind River probably make me like the film more than I really think it's worth. It's flawed, but the stuff that works is enough for me.

lordxar

Kwaidan This thing is three hours long and feels like seven. I had to keep turning it off, napping, eating, shopping, whatever. I really thought I'd be able to get this done by noon but that did not happen. Now, that doesn't mean this isn't a marvel to behold. Quite the opposite. If I ever watch this thing again I will get a bluray and just watch each of the four bits on their own. All at once is too much.

What made this so great? Visually it is amazing to look at. Each of the four stories were told incredibly well and have such visual appeal to them. From snowy sky with eyeballs to floating ears and sea battles this was a visual feast to enjoy.

Kwaidan This thing is three hours long and feels like seven. I had to keep turning it off, napping, eating, shopping, whatever. I really thought I'd be able to get this done by noon but that did not happen. Now, that doesn't mean this isn't a marvel to behold. Quite the opposite. If I ever watch this thing again I will get a bluray and just watch each of the four bits on their own. All at once is too much.

What made this so great? Visually it is amazing to look at. Each of the four stories were told incredibly well and have such visual appeal to them. From snowy sky with eyeballs to floating ears and sea battles this was a visual feast to enjoy.

Yeah my first time through was a struggle, I admit. But I was drawn to revisit it again not long after and was really drawn in, it's just a medatative experience you gotta be in the right mindset for. The criterion edition has a really good audio commentary track, too.

shaneo632

Killing Gunther (2017) - 3.7/10. What the fuck was this? Marketed as an Arnold Schwarzenegger-starring mockumentary, Killing Gunther doesn't see Arnie show up until the 68 minute mark, where he gets a mere 14 minutes of screen time before the credits roll.

It's cool that Arnie's doing more low-key fare at this point in his career, but how they convinced him to appear in this, basically just spouting one-liners from his back catalogue for most of his brief screen time, and singing a country song through the credits no less, is anyone's guess.

There are a few entertaining moments throughout and it makes good use of its clearly low budget, but overall it just feels like a lame attempt to dupe people into paying money to see it, like all those straight-to-VOD Nic Cage films where he has like 30 minutes of screen time peppered throughout the film.

As a huge Arnie fan, I gotta say fuck this movie. I almost knocked a number off my score on principle.

Burbeting

Banned
Ethel & Ernest (6/10) - A very sincere, heartwarming movie, that has the unfortunate downfall of trying to cover too much time in too little screentime. There is only so much one can show, when you are trying to cover 50 years worth of time in 90 minutes.

The Wound (Inxeba) (7/10) - A very interesting take on toxic masculinity and queerness in South Africa's old traditions. The movie suffered from somewhat weak script at times, and it was pretty obvious it didn't have a south african director. It didn't feel as intimate as it should have, and more like an outsider approach. But still, very interesting watch.

God's Own Country (8/10) - Just a well made movie. It suffers from lack of focus, though.

It (8/10) - A lot of fun. But not scary, so don't expect that.

mother! (Aronofsky/10) - It was... something indeed.

Hola! Been gone from the thread for a while (since school's started back up I've had less and less time to watch movies and also look at Gaf), but I'm back to talk about some movies I saw today that were notable.

The LEGO Ninjago Movie (2017) is easily the weakest of the 3 LEGO movies to have come out, but it's still miles ahead of most of the animated films I've seen in the past 5 years or so. It's really funny and clever (which shouldn't be a surprise considering it's predecessors), and the animation is top-notch as usual. However, it suffers from catering to the kid audience more than the previous 2 films, and the script was noticeably weaker as well.
Also Jackie Chan was pretty hard to watch in the live-action bits.
All-in-all though, it's a lot of fun, and while it probably won't impress a lot of critics, I enjoyed it, and it'll certainly tide me over till The LEGO Movie Sequel. 7/10.

Now, the movie I really wanted to talk about. The Circle (2017). Where even to begin? The best I can say is that there was some pretty neat cinematography used throughout, and Tom Hanks delivered a pretty good performance. Other than that, this film is a huge fucking mess. The story is incredibly messy; it's not sure if it wants to demonize millennials and the idea of technology controlling everything, or put it on a pedestal. The script is way too on the nose with almost every detail, and leaves nothing to the imagination of the audience. And it drags soooooooooooo much. Despite the actors delivering their lines like they just wanted to get it over with, the hour 50 minutes the film took up felt like 3. Most of the acting was alright, if not sort of bland, but some of it is so atrocious it's almost laughable. And worst of all, it's completely wastes John Boyega, who is probably the most interesting part of this whole clusterfuck. And that ending...just no. It's not the worst film I've seen all year, but it's close. 2/10.

Everyone involved should be glad that Transformers, Monster Trucks and Song to Song exist so that their film isn't the worst of the year for me.

Mr. Nobody (2009) 7/10

Decent movie on the paradox of choice.

Maybe overly long at 2.5 hrs (I watched it in two parts), but I enjoyed it for the most part.

kevin1025

Banned
Hola! Been gone from the thread for a while (since school's started back up I've had less and less time to watch movies and also look at Gaf), but I'm back to talk about some movies I saw today that were notable.

The LEGO Ninjago Movie (2017) is easily the weakest of the 3 LEGO movies to have come out, but it's still miles ahead of most of the animated films I've seen in the past 5 years or so. It's really funny and clever (which shouldn't be a surprise considering it's predecessors), and the animation is top-notch as usual. However, it suffers from catering to the kid audience more than the previous 2 films, and the script was noticeably weaker as well.
Also Jackie Chan was pretty hard to watch in the live-action bits.
All-in-all though, it's a lot of fun, and while it probably won't impress a lot of critics, I enjoyed it, and it'll certainly tide me over till The LEGO Movie Sequel. 7/10.

Now, the movie I really wanted to talk about. The Circle (2017). Where even to begin? The best I can say is that there was some pretty neat cinematography used throughout, and Tom Hanks delivered a pretty good performance. Other than that, this film is a huge fucking mess. The story is incredibly messy; it's not sure if it wants to demonize millennials and the idea of technology controlling everything, or put it on a pedestal. The script is way too on the nose with almost every detail, and leaves nothing to the imagination of the audience. And it drags soooooooooooo much. Despite the actors delivering their lines like they just wanted to get it over with, the hour 50 minutes the film took up felt like 3. Most of the acting was alright, if not sort of bland, but some of it is so atrocious it's almost laughable. And worst of all, it's completely wastes John Boyega, who is probably the most interesting part of this whole clusterfuck. And that ending...just no. It's not the worst film I've seen all year, but it's close. 2/10.

Everyone involved should be glad that Transformers, Monster Trucks and Song to Song exist so that their film isn't the worst of the year for me.

How was the
live action cat
in Lego Ninjago? It's the main thing that got me interested in seeing it, haha.

Mr. Nobody (2009) 7/10

Decent movie on the paradox of choice.

Maybe overly long at 2.5 hrs (I watched it in two parts), but I enjoyed it for the most part.

I loved it when I saw it in theatres, but softened on it quite a bit on a rewatch. I loved the ideas in it and the way it is told.

Sean C

Big (1988): This is, in retrospect, a hinge in Tom Hanks' filmography as he moved away from comedy into more serious roles. Hanks is terrific here, but the movie never quite takes off for me, mainly because it banks all its emotional weight on the relationship between Hanks' character and Elizabeth Perkins, and that just never feels believable to me. Also, the movie goes to the trouble of giving Hanks an office nemesis (RIP, John Heard), but this never builds to much of anything, and he never gets a memorable comeuppance.

Hail, Caesar! was very funny and had a lot of individual parts I liked (Ralph Fiennes had my dying of laughter) but I don't think it came together very well. Too many characters and plots that didn't tie into each other well enough, I think it would've worked better if it had trimmed down the number of characters. Unless there's something I missed, I'm not quite sure what Scarlett Johansson's character had to do with the rest of the film.

Barton Fink on the other hand was very interesting but I don't think I got it? I think I'll have to give this another watch sometime because I feel like there's something I missed.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller - Robert Altman was so damn good. Here he spends 90 minutes subverting western genre conventions only to end up delivering one of the most masterful, deliberately paced games of cat and mouse I've seen. Loved seeing McCabe just scamper about, all those wide shots of him running through the snow and shit. The rest of the movie was damn good as well, not quite as comedic as some of Altman's other work, but his signature sense of humor still comes out from time to time. Warren and Julie both kill their roles. Love how much of a boss she is, and for all of McCabe's faults, he's just so charismatic you can't help but root for him.

All in all, a very solid movie.

How was the
live action cat
in Lego Ninjago? It's the main thing that got me interested in seeing it, haha.
It was one of my favorite parts of the movie, though I wish they had waited
and hadn't shown it in the trailers
because it would've made for a nice reveal.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Personal Shopper. This was the first movie I've seen with Kristen Stewart and I loved her here, great performance. She pretty much carries the entire thing and does a good job at it. The movie tries on different styles and faces, but never really lacks coherence. It's a criticism I've seen but I didn't feel that way while watching. The opening scene creeped me out more than any 'real' horror movie I've watched recently. I knew nothing about this movie going in other than Stewart's job in it, but I was glad to get something atypical and unpredictable. There's also the blurred line in
not knowing what was real and what she imagined
. One of the better films I've seen this year for sure.

Personal Shopper. This was the first movie I've seen with Kristen Stewart and I loved her here, great performance. She pretty much carries the entire thing and does a good job at it. The movie tries on different styles and faces, but never really lacks coherence. It's a criticism I've seen but I didn't feel that way while watching. The opening scene creeped me out more than any 'real' horror movie I've watched recently. I knew nothing about this movie going in other than Stewart's job in it, but I was glad to get something atypical and unpredictable. There's also the blurred line in
not knowing what was real and what she imagined
. One of the better films I've seen this year for sure.
Check out Clouds of Sils Maria. Same director and Kristen Stewart is great in it as well.

theytookourjobz

Where’d you see this? Is it out?

Assassin's Creed

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't really get what this movie was going for outside of the whole protecting the alien apple artifact. It just kinda made no sense. Like the ending -- I don't understand why she helped them out. And why did they overcomplicate the Animus and Abstergo stuff when compared to the games? Though admittedly, I only played the first few AssCreeds, so maybe they went crazier in the modern day sections of the more recent ones.

Anyway, while this isn't as bad as I expected, it's still incredibly mediocre and boring. It looked sorta nice, I guess. Well, when you could actually see what was going on. The soundtrack is pretty good as well, though the lack of any Woodkid was definitely noticeable!

4/10

hampig

I felt the same about old books, but Frankenstein was a pretty easy and enjoyable read for me.

As a heads up, if you go to the Google Play Movies & TV section of the Play Store, there's a 99 cent rental promo available, at least in the US. Just rented Macbeth.

Other than Macbeth, you should give Snowtown a shot.
Same director and composer (his brother, lol) of Macbeth, but probably his best movie.

That film is a gut punch for sure, but it's great.
Yeah, this looks pretty nuts. Will check it out.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Check out Clouds of Sils Maria. Same director and Kristen Stewart is great in it as well.

Yeah I heard it mentioned in reviews, will have to check that one out. I love the progression's Stewart made: from schlock blockbusters to decent scripts that show off she's actually a capable actress

Icolin

Banned
Downfall

First off: Bruno Ganz is absolutely amazing in this as Hitler. The little mannerisms, the way he talks...it's chilling. The movie is generally pretty great with some truly outstanding scenes, but Ganz's performance is the main attraction here.

As a fan of the animated series, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was a pretty solid watch. Its definitely a solid Batman movie, with some interesting twists and turns, and stellar voice work all around. And at only an hour 16, it doesn't overstay it's welcome. Of course it has it's flaws, being based on a TV show and having the constraints that come with that, but the positives definitely outweigh the negative, and for what it is, it's a joy to watch animated Batman done right. 7/10.

Also, the appearance of the Joker was awesome. Not sure if that's a spoiler,
but it's great.

Top Bottom