• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| September 2017

shaneo632

Pickups (2017) [LFF #6] - 6.9/10. An entertaining little dramatic exercise starring Aidan Gillen as a not-so-fictional version of himself as he gets on with life following his divorce.

Gillen is great here front and center in a darkly funny look at the nature of celebrity and mindset of an artist. It's small and unassuming, running just 74 minutes in length, but ably directed by music video director and filmmaker Jamie Thraves.

There's also some unexpected poignancy, and the musical score is great.

shaneo632

Gonna subject myself to The Book of Henry sometime this week. I hear it's a glorious piece of shit. Might pour myself a big glass of wine first.

SeanC

Little Evil

Conceptually, this is great. It's a comedic turn for The Omen and on paper that's more than enough. But honestly, I can see producer notes all over this thing. It's choppy, it spends a lot of time explaining things and set up and supporting characters feel like they went through a few drafts. It has a lot of ideas that seem like skits than something that's fully formed as a whole, like scenes from other drafts of the script that turned into a hodgepodge of ideas People kind of just don't act like people or do things they should and moments never weave together seamlessly and can feel like clips of different movies.

I think the biggest issue I have, though, is the humor never reaches the level it's shooting for. It's like the movie is an R-rated, raunchy or gory comedy (see director Craig's previous Tucker and Dale vs. Evil) wrapped up (as in stuck) in PG-13. This is a movie that should have gone all-in but holds back so we end up with something that, at best, is mildly humorous as it skirts around being edgy.

Final Rating: 2/5

Little Evil

Conceptually, this is great. It's a comedic turn for The Omen and on paper that's more than enough. But honestly, I can see producer notes all over this thing. It's choppy, it spends a lot of time explaining things and set up and supporting characters feel like they went through a few drafts. It has a lot of ideas that seem like skits than something that's fully formed as a whole, like scenes from other drafts of the script that turned into a hodgepodge of ideas People kind of just don't act like people or do things they should and moments never weave together seamlessly and can feel like clips of different movies.

I think the biggest issue I have, though, is the humor never reaches the level it's shooting for. It's like the movie is an R-rated, raunchy or gory comedy (see director Craig's previous Tucker and Dale vs. Evil) wrapped up (as in stuck) in PG-13. This is a movie that should have gone all-in but holds back so we end up with something that, at best, is mildly humorous as it skirts around being edgy.

Final Rating: 2/5

Really is a shame, you can't feel the stamp of an identity like you can in Tucker and Dale vs Evil. Bridget Everett is giving it all the life she can in this bag of parody cliches.

Sean C

Downfall

First off: Bruno Ganz is absolutely amazing in this as Hitler. The little mannerisms, the way he talks...it's chilling. The movie is generally pretty great with some truly outstanding scenes, but Ganz's performance is the main attraction here.
That's one of my favourite World War II films.

Who is your favorite conversationalist in cinema? For me it's gotta be Linklater or Altman, they both excel in individual moments of conversation as well as larger, more crowd based scenarios. Jarmusch is definitely up there as well. I thought about Tarantino and Wes Anderson, whom I both adore, but they're more theatrical and constructed than the more naturalistic approach I gravitate towards. I fucking love the way people speak to each other in Altman's movies.

Icolin

Banned
Who is your favorite conversationalist in cinema? For me it's gotta be Linklater or Altman, they both excel in individual moments of conversation as well as larger, more crowd based scenarios. Jarmusch is definitely up there as well. I thought about Tarantino and Wes Anderson, whom I both adore, but they're more theatrical and constructed than the more naturalistic approach I gravitate towards. I fucking love the way people speak to each other in Altman's movies.

Yeah, probably Altman. I love how people are constantly talking over one another in his movies, especially in Short Cuts and The Player.

I miss Altman so much.

shaneo632

Tiger Girl (2017) [LFF #7] - 6.4/10. An entertaining if sometimes unconvincing dark comedy that's driven by its two magnetic central performances, Tiger Girl is snappily paced even if it lurches into contrivance on occasion, and the protagonist's changes in personality don't feel remotely plausible.

Still, enjoyable enough, and gorgeously shoot to boot.

lordxar

Body Bags I'd love to see more like this from Carpenter. It's a decent trio of bloody tales in anthology format. Nothing spectacular but pretty fun overall. Bunch of cameos too.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Personal Shopper. This was the first movie I've seen with Kristen Stewart and I loved her here, great performance. She pretty much carries the entire thing and does a good job at it. The movie tries on different styles and faces, but never really lacks coherence. It's a criticism I've seen but I didn't feel that way while watching. The opening scene creeped me out more than any 'real' horror movie I've watched recently. I knew nothing about this movie going in other than Stewart's job in it, but I was glad to get something atypical and unpredictable. There's also the blurred line in
not knowing what was real and what she imagined
. One of the better films I've seen this year for sure.

I've seen this criticism of the movie thrown around as well. And I'm with you, I didn't feel that way when watching the movie. Kristen Stewart really was amazing here. I loved the way she physically changes just by trying on a pair of shoes or dress. It's an oddly sensual and erotic film. Still one of my favorite films I've seen this year.

Blader

Speaking of Linklater I want the inside scoop on Last Flag Flying please.

I was kinda disappointed to read that he changed the names of the characters so that the move wasn't actually a sequel to The Last Detail. Not a big deal, but it would've been a neat connection to keep in.

Maridia

I've seen this criticism of the movie thrown around as well. And I'm with you, I didn't feel that way when watching the movie. Kristen Stewart really was amazing here. I loved the way she physically changes just by trying on a pair of shoes or dress. It's an oddly sensual and erotic film. Still one of my favorite films I've seen this year.

Have you seen anything else by Olivier Assayas? If you loved Personal Shopper, you should definitely check out his previous collaboration with Kristen Stewart, Clouds of Sils Maria. One of my favorite movies of the last decade. His whole filmography is worthwhile to incredible.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Have you seen anything else by Olivier Assayas? If you loved Personal Shopper, you should definitely check out his previous collaboration with Kristen Stewart, Clouds of Sils Maria. One of my favorite movies of the last decade. His whole filmography is worthwhile to incredible.

It's actually the first film I've seen of his, but he's always been on my radar since a buddy of mine is a big fan of his work. I had a chance to see Clouds of Sils Maria in theaters but something came up and it's been on my backlog since. I think I'll bump it up my queue.

shaneo632

There is one shot that fucking wigged me out in Personal Shopper
the "ghost" of her brother appearing in the background near the end and knocking the glass over. Chilling.

lordxar

Hair was my favorite segment. Body horror with a bit humor. :)

That one wasn't bad but I loved the gas station entry. Wes Craven as a creepy ass character was a nice touch. The last one with Mark Hamill was the worst of the three though. It wasn't horrible, just the weakest. The hair one did have a nice little twist in there.

dickroach

for a movie without a great story, characters, dialogue, situations that keep you guessing, and pretty much everything else I like in a movie, Dunkirk was pretty good. it flawlessly conveyed the war is hell notion

Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack: A quaint time capsule from the turn of the new millennium where they work in as many references to "digital" and "the net" they can, but the world of analogue still reigned supreme as the digital-hip characters had to shoot on DV tapes and the movie couldn't fully rely on its shitty CG effects. Seeing the era I grew up in being embodied as a particular period of time like the 70's & 80's with its own identifiable cinematic and cultural traits--no longer being thought of as the vague and unidentifiable "present"--is where I got like 99% of my enjoyment from this. Idk Godzilla is a dick in this which I liked but most of the monster rumble stuff is pretty lame.

Finally got around to seeing Logan Lucky last night. Overall I liked it, there were a few times I laughed out loud and I didn’t expect to. Generally just a really fun, charming movie. But the key “twist” of the story didn’t really make much sense to me, I felt like I missed something. And sometimes the lack of music made scenes feel a little bare. But overall, I’d really recommend it. Nice refreshing change from most garbage summer blockbusters.

Finally got around to seeing Logan Lucky last night. Overall I liked it, there were a few times I laughed out loud and I didn’t expect to. Generally just a really fun, charming movie. But the key “twist” of the story didn’t really make much sense to me, I felt like I missed something. And sometimes the lack of music made scenes feel a little bare. But overall, I’d really recommend it. Nice refreshing change from most garbage summer blockbusters.

Do you mean the cell phone twist?
I think the idea was that Channing Tatum didn't pay his phone bill, and since he often didn't pay his phone bill he knew exactly how long it should take the phone company to kill the service, but the FBI had it kept on because he was a suspect and they were watching him. After some time his phone finally turned off and he knew that meant it was safe to get the money and hand it out. I agree with you though that the actual details of the heist weren't very clear. Like when they escape the prison they pull the towel dispenser off the wall and there is a tunnel there that leads them out, but I must have totally missed then they explained how the tunnel got there.

Sunster

Crimson Tide (1995)

can't believe I've never seen this before. Had me on the edge of my seat for 45 whole minutes. 9/10

shaneo632

On the Beach at Night Alone (2017) [LFF #8] - 5.3/10. My first Sang-soo Hong film pretty much suggests the filmmaker's style probably isn't for me.

I checked this one out after seeing the early positive reviews, and while The Handmaiden's Kim Minhee does give a compelling central performance, I found it more airless and exhausting than intriguing overall.

It's visually flat and suffers through a slog of a first act before picking up for the final hour, but even so, its emotional honesty was compromised by the glacial pacing and unfussed direction.

Ridley327

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind: This is what would happen if you assembled several prog rock covers side-by-side, made a world based on those and gave it an absolutely awesome protagonist to navigate the environment. While I don't have familiarity with Miyazaki's original manga, it's tempting to focus on the troubles of adapting a much larger work to a much shorter format as you can tell where things had to be patched over in the service of time, but that falls to the wayside very, very quickly with just how beautifully realized the setting is, filled with all kinds of awe-inspiring environmental and creature design. Even better was how well the film establishes how any of it came to be, making the world and its inhabitants feel very believable. The prog rock feeling is certainly aided by Joe Hisaishi's score that sounds like he did his research on the more spacey side of the genre, giving the film an alien yet very lively soundscape. But in the end, the film lives and lives on the strength of Nausicaä herself, and she's got the drive, will and tenacity that immediately puts her in the pantheon of all-time great protagonists, regardless of gender. While not as healthily budgeted as the proper Ghibli films would come to be over time, Miyazaki manages to do a whole hell of a lot with what he's got, directing the brilliant actions sequences with the same passion and drive that he has for the more character-focused moments, making it hard to believe that this is going to be just 35 years old not that far from now with how forward-thinking the whole production looks and feels. I shouldn't be that terribly surprised that striking out on his own for the first time would yield such impressive results, but I might daresay that it's getting more and more likely that Miyazaki might just have the best initial run of films for any kind of director.

Good Time is coming out in November here in the UK. I bought a ticket to see it at LFF.

From what I read though, Netflix bought it and it will be a kinda limited small release. Going to have a dig and see if anywhere has it in Bristol..

Edit: seems it changed to a proper one? strange but can complain!

Ridley327

Final Cut.

Speaking of does anyone know if they are showing the original alone in theaters? Seems like there is a double feature but my gf needs to watch the original.

Oddly enough, no plans were announced for anything on a national level. They just did a quicky 4K disc port of their existing master and called it a day.

Downfall (2004)

This was fantastic. While many war movies have depicted final stands and desperate against-all-odds battles, Downfall feels more like a nightmare. The last stand fought by people unwilling to see it as such, and thus wasting lives and making horrific decisions for a hopeless cause. The surreal juxtaposition of the war waging outside and those in the oppressive halls of the bunker below, still struggling to cling to some sense of normalcy and hope, even though you see in their eyes and voice that they know otherwise. The slow train crash that is the dawning realization of defeat and doom.

The cast is strong, but Bruno Ganz as Hitler is mesmerizing. How explosive paranoid rage gives way to subdued resignation, or those slumped shoulders and that twitching hand...it's a captivating performance.

Icolin

Banned
Downfall (2004)

This was fantastic. While many war movies have depicted final stands and desperate against-all-odds battles, Downfall feels more like a nightmare. The last stand fought by people unwilling to see it as such, and thus wasting lives and making horrific decisions for a hopeless cause. The surreal juxtaposition of the war waging outside and those in the oppressive halls of the bunker below, still struggling to cling to some sense of normalcy and hope, even though you see in their eyes and voice that they know otherwise. The slow train crash that is the dawning realization of defeat and doom.

The cast is strong, but Bruno Ganz as Hitler is mesmerizing. How explosive paranoid rage gives way to subdued resignation, or those slumped shoulders and that twitching hand...it's a captivating performance.

I agree with everything here. Just watched it recently and was blown away.

That scene when those 4 kids were given those pills or drugs or whatever by their mother and died absolutely shook me.

Does anyone know what version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers is the best? Watching it with some friends soon and we don't know which one to rent.

shaneo632

Hellraiser: Hellseeker (2002) - 3.6/10. Dean Winters is SO far above this it's insane, and while he gives a compelling performance throughout this slippery, dreamlike romp, it barely feels like a Hellraiser movie, with Pinhead getting about 8 minutes of screen time.

It was nice to see Ashley Laurence back, and she's still totally gorgeous which was good to see, but the ending basically ruins the character of Kirsty and seems totally inconsistent with what fans knew her as.

A few neat directorial tricks aside and decent performances, this is another shitty STV sequel.

kevin1025

Banned
Oklahoma City

A fantastic documentary about the Oklahoma City bombing, and what transpired and led to the event. Insanely timely, given the Charlottesville white supremacy resurgence. It's on Netflix (at least, it was in the Canada side, it likely is elsewhere, too!).

Beatriz at Dinner

I liked some of it, though it kind of floundered in the margins. Salma Hayek and John Lithgow are real good, but the dream sequences and slight runtime really dampen what could have been a sharp political dinner dialogue.

The Lovers

Tracy Letts. Debra Winger. They are cheating, but then a spark throws their marriage back together, and it smartly plays it off as though they are cheating on their extramarital spouses. On top of that, you have really great character moments, quiet stretches that let the actors act, and a really nice flow to the unfolding of the movie. I loved it.

Strong Island

An incredibly powerful story, and the way it's told is insanely well done. But it still felt like it stretched to its detriment. It's important, though, and for that I would still recommend it.

The Little Hours

What. I laughed a good amount, but it's still a silly ass movie that never really amounted to much. Nick Offerman was the standout for me, although him just standing in a room is memorable to me, so maybe I'm biased. He gets the best lines, though. The rest amounts to nonsense, but it can be a fun nonsense... sometimes. It is okay, and it is so out there that it may be worth a watch. But probably not.

Resident Evil, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Resident Evil: Extinction

My brain started to melt during the second movie. I picked the six films as the kick-off of my horror movie sprint, and now that there's three still to go, I'm dreading what lies ahead more than the actual horror movies in October. This is going to be a long couple of days.

Does anyone know what version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers is the best? Watching it with some friends soon and we don't know which one to rent.

I've only seen the 78 version but I can't recommend it enough. It belongs in the list of greatest horror remakes alongside The Thing and The Fly.

Top Bottom