• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently: Return of the Revenge of the Curse of the...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So should they suck it up and hope the logging companies hold to their promise of re-planting trees? Surely there must be a quota on how many trees you can cut down in a certain area, right? I'd like to know a little more what the limits are, before I form an opinion.

The Grey

Was expecting more action, but the movie was decent nonetheless. It is a psychological thriller and I got me out of my seat a few times during the film. Neeson is a stud!

Odd, I was expecting less action :p

From the trailer I was hoping that the movie would focus more on the group as they struggle against nature in general, and that the wolves wouldn't be the main focus, so I wound up a little disappointed. Still decent, though. Loved the scene
where the guy wants to die with a view of the mountains

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Hanna: 3/10. Video-game tier story and a miscast Cate Blanchett. I'm sorry but when the truth is revealed by
your Nell-like main character Googling,
you have failed. Some style but not much else. Is it appropriate to perv on Saoirse yet? I thought Lovely Bones was pushing it... but maybe it's time.

High & Low: 9/10. Re-watch after a decade so it was like brand new. Still excellent.

Anatomy Of Murder: 8/10. Kept me engaged throughout even though it was way too long. And the ending was way too abrupt, especially given the length. Everyone was great except for that awful fucking judge. I don't care that he was some real life famous lawyer, don't give some asshole 20 pages of dialogue. They did it right with Duke, have him sit in front of a piano and say 2 lines. And oh my heaven I have never heard such gratuitous use of the word JIGGLE.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Slightly off topic but I decided my next tattoo is going to be some variation of this from Zed and Two Noughts, how do you think it should be done?
zed_still_28.jpg

I am thinking maybe using one of those old catalog pictures of a record player for the art work and I only want one snail that is on the record with it maybe showing that it is moving around.

t-ramp

Watched The Godfather for the first time last week. What an amazing film.
Still have to watch it... next on my list.

Also, just watched Taxi Driver. I don't really know what I think of it. Oh well.

On the subject of character studies, I saw The Hurt Locker the other day. Unfortunately, I didn't think it was very powerful, and would have preferred a trimmed-down, more action-focused production.

Makoto

Source Code

I really enjoyed this movie. Got really emotional
with the frozen in time moment happened and the reveal of the protagonist's full body.
A good sci-fi follow-up from Duncan Jones' previous film, Moon. Michelle Monaghan really looked like she could be Emma Stone's slightly older sister.

Changeling

Once you get past all the stuff you already known from the trailers, the movie gets really interesting. It was a good film all around. Though I don't why Eastwood has this obsession with poor lighting. This was most irritating when
Collins and the mental ward doctor meet in his office for the first time and the only source of light was coming from the partially open shades. All I could ask myself was, "How does this doctor even get work done in lighting this awful?"

peakish

DAS LEBEN DER ANDEREN, a Stasi captain in 1985's East Germany leads an investigation into the life of a playwright who also happens to be the most handsome man alive. I thought it was pretty good, a nice struggle of the lead investigator between his duty and humanity as he gets to know his objects. I'm not sure about the epilogue, I mean it's crazy for me who wasn't there when it happened to think that ~100,000 employees and ~200,000 informants of Stasi just did their best to go on with their lives after the wall fell - I feel the epilogue tried to catch this but it's done a bit too quickly. I suppose full movies could be made about those stories so no surprise there.

SLEUTH, the one from 1972 with Michael Caine and Laurence Olivier. Starts with a crazy author inviting his wife's lover to his mansion to stage a break in, takes a lot of turns. This was very good, I was impressed by how many turns it actually took even if they were easy to spot a few minutes in advance, by the detail of the environments and
how good movies with just two good actors in a few rooms can be.

Loxley

Anonymous (2011) - Roland Emmerich

I really liked it.

Now, I don't believe The Oxfordian Theory at all, and still don't after seeing the movie. But this isn't a documentary, it doesn't explore the possibilities of Shakespeare versus the Earl of Oxford having written the plays. I mean, the entire movie is based on the idea that The Oxfordian Theory is true. I know a lot of people disliked the movie since the Oxfordian theory is widely excepted by literary scholars to be complete bullshit, and sort of hate the movie by default. But personally I thought it was a great "what if?" story.

Rhys Ifans was fantastic and definitely stole the show, he pretty much made the movie for me. I think it could have been very easy for him to over act his way through this entire thing, but he's surprisingly subtle. Also, this is definitely one of the most beautiful films I've seen in a while. The sets and the cinematography were both amazing to look at.

My one main gripe with the movie comes from the way it presents the idea that the Earl of Oxford was the real writer behind these plays. We're basically told that he wrote Macbeth, Richard III, Henry V etc and are just supposed to except it. We almost never see him actually writing these plays or seeing his writing process at all. He just whips them off a shelf, already completed, "Yeah, I totally wrote Hamlet. No big deal. Whatever." We're supposed to believe this guy wrote some of the most pivotal and important works in the history of the English language...but are never shown how the fuck he came up with them or where he got his inspiration from. They rarely make any attempts to show the audience that this guy was the literary savant it wants us to think he was beyond the surface level.

One example is when the Earl of Oxford gives his "contact" Ben Johnson his next play to create, and it turns out to be Romeo and Juliet. This is the exchange that follows:

(he hands the manuscript of Romeo and Juliet to the Ben Johnson)
Edward: A romantic tragedy...in iambic pentameter.
Ben: ...all of it? Is that possible?
Edward: (cocky smile) Of course it is.

Yeah, of course it is. Didn't you know I'm a genius? :p One other small gripe is the representation of Shakespeare himself and an illiterate drunk. Not that big of an issue, but they were trying a little too hard to make Shakepeare out to be a fucking idiot.

But again, overall I really enjoyed it - mostly because of Rhys Ifans and the high production values across the board. 4/5

swoon

Slightly off topic but I decided my next tattoo is going to be some variation of this from Zed and Two Noughts, how do you think it should be done?
zed_still_28.jpg

I am thinking maybe using one of those old catalog pictures of a record player for the art work and I only want one snail that is on the record with it maybe showing that it is moving around.

gary.jpg

UrbanRats

For those who dig Alex de la Iglesia's style, are Last Circus and The day of the beast good? I'm inclined to pick them up, since i loved La Comunidad and Crimen Ferpecto..

jakncoke

Banned
Prolly going to watch the 3rd harold and kumar movie once my gf gets home but what I've watched so far today.

Final Destination 5 (2011) = Ok movie, I liked the kills in it, but everything else really made me want to die inside.

American Swing (2008) = A documentary about a swingers club in NYC, It talks about the rise and fall of it. Mostly just interviews with people that went to it. It was a decent watch

H.H Holmes Americas First Serial Killer (2004) = Thought this would be super interesting, but it was rather blah

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) = Good movie, will be interesting if they take this prequel storyline further

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
For those who dig Alex de la Iglesia's style, are Last Circus and The day of the beast good? I'm inclined to pick them up, since i loved La Comunidad and Crimen Ferpecto..

I haven't seen the Last Circus, but Day of the Beast is an indisputable classic.

Salazar

One other small gripe is the representation of Shakespeare himself and an illiterate drunk. Not that big of an issue, but they were trying a little too hard to make Shakepeare out to be a fucking idiot.

Not just Shakespeare, but Dekker, Nashe, Marlowe, Jonson. And to say that his education at an early modern grammar school was somehow an intellectually negligible thing, and that it could conceivably have left him unable to form letters, is just arrogantly stupid. Inexcusable.

Whoever wrote that deserves to be struck about the face. Derek Jacobi should be mightily ashamed that he agreed to repeat it into a camera. If I am going to have the full-retard Oxford theory up on screen, then a vaguely competent historian of that inclination should have evaluated the script. None did.

Almost everything about the film repelled and disgusted me.

Seanspeed

Banned
Saw London Boulevard.

Honestly, I could barely understand half the dialogue. I've grown up in America but my mom is British, lives in London and everything, and I've been there five times, but the accents are still so freakin hard for me to get sometimes.

But the plot was pretty easy to get. Didn't like it. I dont expect all movies to have believeable characters, but this one just made them feel completely ridiculous.

swoon

watched:

culpepper cattle company *** i strayed to close to the supposed anti-western sun here. it's a fine attempt at making a new hollywood western, but i mean that isn't needed and has some really heavy handed morals everywhere. on the plus side - it's well directed like seemingly every western and the dirt on these dudes faces as they teach the kid about the land is pretty great.

richard III **** ian mckellan's batshit insane vanity project sets richard III in a post wwI country and is wonderful. great set and costume design - this will appeal to those who hate shakespeare but love de palma or something.

the falling **** best elements of better of dead and the worst elements of zombie movies make up this movie about aliens and spanish towns. i wish resident evil 4 was more like this.

some guy who kills people ** super tedious. i love the way the ice cream looked

innkeepers **** 2012's dumpster trash tossing scene of the year. oh man. excellent.

Grinchy

Banned
Super 8 wasn't a terrible movie but I sure wish I didn't watch it. It's the kind of movie where it's just good enough that I want to see what happens, but when I do, I realize I've wasted my time.

Divius

Lat sau san taam AKA Hard Boiled - John Woo. Chow Yun Fat. Lots of shooting, zero reloading. Still lovely. 8/10
Rango - A standard but decent story wrapped in gorgeous animation/rendering. I personally don't care for the character designs, but the western references are nice. 7/10
Immortals - Phenomenal artstyle/cinematography, atrocious writing/plot/acting/casting. Someone get Tarsem Singh a decent script. 5/10

My Week with Marilyn - Loved Williams as Monroe and thought the narrative and how the viewer, just as the protagonist, got to see both sides of the story and both sides of Monroe as well were great. 7/10
The Adventures of Tintin - Fuck me sideways this movie looks great. The movie itself is decent on a rewatch, still love the Indiana Jones-like action/adventure sequences. 7/10

daviyoung

Banned
I want to watch a really good movie this weekend with the GF, is slumdog millionaire as good as they say?

I thought it was tripe actually. Predictable, bland one-note feel-good drama with very few peaks in the substantial running time. If that's your only choice then why not. Probably all right to watch with the GF.

K' Dash

I thought it was tripe actually. Predictable, bland one-note feel-good drama with very few peaks in the substantial running time. If that's your only choice then why not. Probably all right to watch with the GF.

I was just saying, I want to see a good thriller.

I recently watched

7 Days

MV5BMTM3NzU5NjU4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTI4NDM3Mw@@._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

Aparecidos

cartelaparecidos.jpg

And really liked them.

FnordChan

I was just saying, I want to see a good thriller.

Last night some pals and I watched the Blu-ray of North by Northwest and it looked incredible and was as awesome as ever. If you want a good thriller, it's hard to do better than watching (or re-watching) Hitchcock.

FnordChan

From the last 4-5 days:

The Purple Rose of Cairo
- Woody Allen 1985 A- (Loved this. If anyone wish Midnight in Paris had more to it, see it.)
To Catch a Thief - Alfred Hitchcock 1955 B (Not my fav. Hitchcock, only a few good scenes)
Wanderlust - David Wain 2012 B (review is in the official thread)
The Long Goodbye - Robert Altman 1973 A- (finally, an Altman film that delivers!)
Project X - Nima Nourizadeh 2012 B- (funny, but very repetitive)
My Week With Marilyn - Simon Curtis 2012 C (felt like a TV movie, just completely average)

T Dollarz

Martha Marcy May Marlene
Holy fuck this movie was good. The acting was superb, and while I agree that Elizabeth Olsen's performance was great, for me John Hawkes really shined. Been seeing him in a lot of things I've watched recently (Deadwood, when I saw Winter's Bone last year, Contagion) and he put a powerful acting display here by playing the very dark cult leader. And man that song he did was so good. Truly a shame that won't be winning an oscar. I also think this film easily could have been nominated for best picture. Curious what you guys thought about the final scene, I'm still kind of pondering it. I would post my interpretation, but I don't see the spoiler tag button here for some reason :lol. Anyways, loved the movie.

big ander

M*A*S*H ? Short cuts ? Three women ?

The long goodbye was indeed awesome. Also, best use of different arrangements of the same song ever. I've yet to watch Nashville as well.
I've been terribly slowly working through Altman since I saw Nashville a year ago and I watched MASH the other day. It's funny, but it doesn't compare to Nashville or The Long Goodbye.

I love Nashville so much.

I just received the dual edition of Godard's Une femme mariée from Masters of Cinema.

Thing is... I didn't order it. I suspect they're sending this as an apology (?!) for having sent the 7 movies I ordered twice (?!?). I will inquire but my assumption is that they are just fucking awesome.

Never seen it too !

not a viral marketer, I swear

FnordChan

big ander

Anyone read about the TWC threatening to leave the MPAA?

'Bully' doc loses 'R' rating appeal; Weinstein Co. threatens to leave MPAA

DO IT HARVEY! Also, I agree with his reasoning as to why an R-rating would be bad for the movie.
Yeah, an R for that movie is utter bullshit, like the majority of the MPAA decisions. And I'd love for the MPAA to be dissolved and for someone else to take over and be reasonable. but that article seems like hyperbole to me. plus I don't feel like the weinsteins leaving would have some domino effect; the studios benefit from the MPAA so much at the expense of the viewer and the filmmaker.
I don't know, the whole organization depresses me.

Scanners
This was great. Great FX, nice ending, dope credits. I had no idea Ironside and McGoohan were in this.

I have to watch Videodrome.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Holy fuck this movie was good. The acting was superb, and while I agree that Elizabeth Olsen's performance was great, for me John Hawkes really shined. Been seeing him in a lot of things I've watched recently (Deadwood, when I saw Winter's Bone last year, Contagion) and he put a powerful acting display here by playing the very dark cult leader. And man that song he did was so good. Truly a shame that won't be winning an oscar. I also think this film easily could have been nominated for best picture. Curious what you guys thought about the final scene, I'm still kind of pondering it. I would post my interpretation, but I don't see the spoiler tag button here for some reason :lol. Anyways, loved the movie.

there is some discussion here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429277&page=2

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Tokyo drifter - I'm not so sure if i really "got" what was going on in this film plot-wise, but it was damn fun to watch, the whole style of it reminded me of "godard" but with extra japanese craziness.

Branded to kill - This was something for lack of a better word - it was kind of erotic, weird, moody in really noir-ish way, and surreal all at the same time, like tokyo drifter the plot seemed incomprehensible, and while it wasn't as action-packed as tokyo drifter, It had a higher level of artistry behind the production whatever that means, really looking forward to seeing how it holds up on re-watches!

Dial M for murder - Pretty tense thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole duration, liked how it essentially took place in one room for most of the running time.

Shadow of a doubt - This was pretty solid, great atmosphere, very creepy and unsettling antagonist, my only problem' with it, was I wasn't exactly fond of the climax, felt kind of cheap and anti-climatic for me, oh well.

swoon

I've seen only one or two of Altman's films, but the movie of his at the top of my to-watch list is O.C. and Stiggs. It's generally considered to be pretty lousy, but I'm a fan of the characters from National Lampoon appearances (especially the Utterly Monstrous, Mind-Roasting Summer of O.C. and Stiggs, which is fantastically tasteless) and I thought the A.V. Club re-evaluation of the Altman adaptation was pretty intriguing. Has anyone here actually seen O.C. and Stiggs?

F.D. and Chan

it's real real lousy and worst of all not funny. i'm not familiar with the source material though.

i ranked most of the altman films in the last thread, but i think he should be watched in order to kinda catch the ebb and flow of themes and styles in his work.

anyway. i'm pretty sure i overrated streamers and cookie's fortune.

for fun altman features ranked (the first 20 or so are recommended)

1. nashville
2. short cuts
3. godsford park
4. mccabe and mrs. miller
5. images
6. long goodbye
7. 3 women
8. the player
9. mash
10. thieves like us

11. california split
12. brewester mccloud
13. streamers
14. secret honor
15. the company
16. cookie's fortune
17. a perfect couple
18. kansas city
19. quintet
20. buffalo bill and the indians...

21. gingerbread man
22. pret a porter
23. come back to the five and dime jimmy dean
24. a prairie home companion
25. fool for love
26. a wedding
27. vincent and theo
28. health
29. popeye
30. oc and stiggs

31. dr. t and the women
32. beyond therapy

haven't seen: countdown/cold in the park/the delinquents

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I could do a top 15 for Altman, but it wouldn't be too far off from what swoon's got there. I definitely have more love for Quintet and Prairie Home Companion than a lot of people, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom