• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS + NSA reveal. Wil this affect the Kinect?

I really don't want a couple of paranoid gamers hindering my experience with the one, or the future of gaming in general because they think a camera is used to spy on them.

Then get mad at MS for not being able to adequately sell the masses on Kinect

Forced adoption is only required because people don't see the value in kinect

One great kinect game ONE is all that's required to change it

How can MS not just make that happen?

Hell 20+ million kinect 1 users/install base and people still don't buy kinect games

Why is that?

Krakn3Dfx

I really don't want a couple of paranoid gamers hindering my experience with the one, or the future of gaming in general because they think a camera is used to spy on them.

If the future of gaming is waving my arms in the air to order Pizza Hut, I'll just turn myself into the NSA now, thanks.

SPDIF

Then get mad at MS for not being able to adequately sell the masses on Kinect

Forced adoption is only required because people don't see the value in kinect

One great kinect game ONE is all that's required to change it

How can MS not just make that happen?

Well they did actually do that. They just couldn't sell the majority of the "hardcore" on Kinect.

LuchaShaq

Banned
So they will be watching me play video games. The horror.

(You can also disable Kinect)
Unless I can take the kinect to the garage and smash it with an axe disabling means jack shit.

Mandatory kinect - no sale

Fuck spying legit or not I just don't want that piece of shit in my living room.

Ok, I think some of us are getting a bit confused with what is going on here. It seems apparent the Government "forced" Microsoft to give up information in Skype Video Calls, Emails, and SkyDrive Files. Maybe Microsoft did fight it, but finally gave in under government pressure. You cannot fault Microsoft IF they truly were under legal pressure to do so, especially from the NSA and United States Governement.

However, I think the problem is with Microsoft providing another avenue or tool, with Kinect "always on" in our living room, for the Government to once again gather data from people. I think that is really what most of the outrage is based on.

We are not as upset that Microsoft has included Kinect with the XboxOne, as we are that Microsoft included it with the XboxOne knowing what the NSA was doing. Especially if they could use court orders and legal pressures. Microsoft really cannot guarantee you that your data will not be collected, they cannot assure you that your living room is not being monitored, because if the NSA and US Government could force Microsoft to give up the data I mentioned from other places (Skype, Outlook, & SkyDrive), they could just as easily force Microsoft to give up data that is collected or recorded with Kinect.

Now, there is the argument that cell phones and computers are doing all this already. Traffic and Street cameras are monitoring our every move. However, most of us do not have cameras in our living rooms or man caves that the NSA could have access to. With the XboxOne and Kinect, all of the sudden millions of people will have a camera in their living room, that could be used to collect data, whether Microsoft doesn't want it to be used for that or not. I am sure Microsoft didn't intend or plan for information and data from our Emails, Video Calls and Online Files to be collected and used by the NSA, but the NSA did it anyways. Just as they could do it with Kinect, whether Microsoft intended to or not.

If Microsoft couldn't stop the NSA from monitoring and collecting data through their other services, how are they going to stop them from monitoring and collecting data through the mandatory Kinect?
So because a government is doing something that even if you tried, you couldnt stop. Thats reason enough to stop pushing technology and differentiating yourself in face of your opponents. I was with you up until you made that point.

I highly doubt that Including a Kinect in every box was a top line decision being made by the CEO and Board. It was a decision made by the Xbox team and signed off by Don Matrick and his group. Also chances are, only the higher ups at Microsoft knew that this was happening, because since the US Government was trying to keep this a secret for this long, it would have been a security risk to let every damned employee in the company know. If anything, it was just the Board and CEO, Legal department, a couple people in IT and a small handful off programmers implementing these systems at government request. AKA, the people not incharge of the Xbox Division or its employees.

Well they did actually do that. They just couldn't sell the majority of the "hardcore" on Kinect.

Serious question what good kinect games are there?

I've tried to play 2 or 3

Fable Journey bored me and was painful to get it to do anything

Can't remember the name of the other one

I know a lot of people like the dance game but not for me

ari

Banned
Serious question what good kinect games are there?

I've tried to play 2 or 3

Fable Journey bored me and was painful to get it to do anything

Can't remember the name of the other one

I know a lot of people like the dance game but not for me
why are you talking about shitty kinect games? Kinect 2.0 is essentially part of the console, after year one, im betting ALL games will have it implemented. If not earlier. Cool stuff can seriously happen on the console.

Hanmik

Kinect with the xbox one is a strange thing.

- you can pause it.
- you can choose to use a controller or smartphone/pad instead (pause kinect)
- you can disable the "xbox on" command.

basically you can choose not to use kinect...... BUT you can't unplug it or turn it off, then the xbox one doesn't work..

where is the logic behind that.?

- you can pause it.

basically you can choose not to use kinect...... BUT you can't unplug it or turn it off, then the xbox one doesn't work..

Developers can count on you having it instead of just chucking it in the garbage or whatnot.

ari

Banned

- you can pause it.

Forceful usage? They did kinda went all out with it. :/

Nyko is going to make a good buck selling signal-jamming Kinect hoods for frightened folks who can't be bothered to simply pull the plug out of the socket.

fse

Instead of being mad at msft, I'll direct my anger towards the govt. that is forcing companies to do this.

why are you talking about shitty kinect games? Kinect 2.0 is essentially part of the console, after year one, i m betting ALL games will have it implemented.

My point was there was no killer use cases to the kinect that I've seen to date

No "I want that in my game", no value added none of it

Sure it will be mandated, sure it will be in almost all games (maybe)

Not entirely sure 3rd parties are convinced on motion control/voice control but that's neither here nor there

If a kinect game can't sell me that kinect adds value to a game, why should I believe it will now?

Those games were literally made from the ground up to use the kinect and were still unimpressive

But you might have it paused.

Basically I think the game will pop up with "This game requires the kinect to be used" or whatever and I fully imagine that on every 1st party/exclusive game tbh

Has their been any interesting use cases thus far for kinect 2.0?

Best I've seen is the conducting fantasia orchestra but that's cool for a minute from what I've seen

Not some game mechanic to be implemented forever more

ari

Banned
My point was there was no killer use cases to the kinect that I've seen to date

No "I want that in my game", no value added none of it

Sure it will be mandated, sure it will be in almost all games (maybe)

Not entirely sure 3rd parties are convinced on motion control/voice control but that's neither here nor there

If a kinect game can't sell me that kinect adds value to a game, why should I believe it will now?

Those games were literally made from the ground up to use the kinect and were still unimpressive
a majority of kinect 360 games was based off of shitty Wii ports and me too's. It was shit. The list of kinect 2.0 games currently is shit. But with better tech in it. I expect some cool shit.

Hanmik

Basically I think the game will pop up with "This game requires the kinect to be used" or whatever and I fully imagine that on every 1st party/exclusive game tbh

Has their been any interesting use cases thus far for kinect 2.0?

Best I've seen is the conducting fantasia orchestra but that's cool for a minute from what I've seen

Not some game mechanic to be implemented forever more

I seem to remember them saying kinect has to be part of every game on the console.? (but i might be wrong)

Zeth

Will probably put a square of duct tape on the lens. It's actually mind-boggling, the world we're living in. (In the US, primarily)

a majority of kinect 360 games was based off of shitty Wii ports and me too's. It was shit. The list of kinect 2.0 games currently is shit. But with better tech in it. I expect some cool shit.

i guess we'll see won't we?

Personally I would think it'd be enough to include it in every box, and not requiring connecting it but I see the argument for always connected

i assume I can put the kinect in a shoe box filled with sound-dampening foam and the X1 won't complain right?

Not exactly what I want to do with $100 tech but would make me feel better about the targeted ads nonsense

Hex

Banned
Fun fact - I'm not bothered by this one bit, but I was talking about the power plug.

And then the connector reads that it is not connected because it is not getting power?
Do you really think that nobody has come up with that since the XB1 was announced?

Will probably put a square of duct tape on the lens. It's actually mind-boggling, the world we're living in. (In the US, primarily)
I think this will be the common fix.

Have you ever been bothered with something Microsoft did?

Of course, many things, although most of them Windows related. When it comes to consoles, I've mostly been bothered by things that Microsoft didn't do, like support Europe better, support indies better on Xbox One, and not stick to their guns in regard to DRM.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Which of those things is taking video recordings of you 24/7, and who's recordings the government has access if they see fit? Which one?

None of them, including Kinect.

Kyon

Banned
Of course, many things, although most of them Windows related. When it comes to consoles, I've mostly been bothered by things that Microsoft didn't do, like support Europe better, support indies better on Xbox One, and not stick to their guns in regard to DRM.

priceless.gif
priceless.gif
priceless.gif

Please tell me you aren't serious or that I'm reading it wrong

Hex

Banned
Which of those things is taking video recordings of you 24/7, and who's recordings the government has access if they see fit? Which one?

I wouldn't even attempt to try to go there in this case, it is not worth your time though I think the potential term your are looking for is "which has the potential to".

Smash

Banned

I'm not even surprised anymore. The day you stop posting is the day this forum will become a little better.

i-Lo

"Dear suspected terrorists,

We are writing this letter to inform you that we are now monitoring your communications. However, please don't mind us and continue with whatever it was you were doing. Just pretend we're not listening and watching.

PS, a little less nudity wouldn't hurt.

Sincerely,
The NSA"

So in essence, "If we suspect you, we can survey you and the proper authorization will be in place". That's comforting. Regardless, given all the surveillance residents of god's country are under, capitulating to another potentially egregious violation of privacy sounds like yesterday's news.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I'm not even surprised anymore. The day you stop posting is the day this forum will become a little better.

Is that necessary? Just put him on ignore if you don't like his posts.

BigMack

The Kinect most certainly WILL cause many people to buy a PS4 instead.

Maybe not necessarily because they find a camera in their living room pretty creepy. But because the average consumer is gonna see both systems sitting side by side on a shelf and simply look at the prices.

When they see the $100.00 price difference, unless they have some brand attachment to the Xbox, the average person is gonna go with the cheaper option.

That's why I'm confident that after being outsold 5 to 1 for several months, MS will have no choice but to release a Kinect-free version for $399.

Top Bottom