• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: 'This (conference) was the part of E3 people don’t like', E3 Focused On Games

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
If they are genuinely just going to talk solid about games for a couple of hours at E3 then I'm fine with this but I guarantee there will be a good 20+ minutes of tv, TV, TV!!!!!! garbage in there. Despite all the negativity, I'm looking forward to seeing all these exclusive games. Even Kinect 2 doesn't look rubbish based on the videos from today.

SpartanN92

Banned
The conference itself wasn't that bad as a way to announce a new console to the general public. If you blow your load with new games there, you have less to show (and surprise with) at E3. The idea of showing your concept ("all in one entertainment device that can play the latest and greatest games")The strategy was sound, they just fucked up the execution.

That's the problem. It should be a Machine that plays games first and foremost and also does everything else. Gamers were the ones that made the platform a success, not soccer moms, kinect children, and Television dads.

i-meant-to-do-that.png

quest

Not Banned from OT
We'll see.. But I'll admit I find it hard to believe that they'll not include TV, Sports and Apps in the E3 conference.

They spent 400 million on the NFL and who knows how much to develop the TV stuff. It will be at E3 you can bank on it. The question is how many more Kinect 2.0 games are demoed vs core games that are not COD or Madden.

People don't like the Kinect part of the conference either, but I'm certain that it will be a huge part of the E3 conference, child actors and all.

AniHawk

the problem with the reveal wasn't really the conference. the problem was all the actual details surrounding the way games work on the console.

mjc

They're will always be the fitness games now. Same with CoD, Halo, and Kinect stuff. This is no surprise by this point. If they come with what they're promising I'll be happy. They'll have to bring their AAA game. (pun intended)

Violater

I think the talk/rumors going around that MS was 6+ months behind where they actually want to be is true.
I don't think I want Sony to be ahead in the next gen race simply bc MS is shooting themselves in the foot. It doesn't do anything for me as a consumer, there will be no incentive for competitive consumer-centric business ventures for sure.

kingocfs

If they are genuinely just going to talk solid about games for a couple of hours at E3 then I'm fine with this but I guarantee there will be a good 20+ minutes of tv, TV, TV!!!!!! garbage in there. Despite all the negativity, I'm looking forward to seeing all these exclusive games. Even Kinect 2 doesn't look rubbish based on the videos from today.

Doubt they'll spend any substantial amount of time talking about what they spent nearly 3/4 of this conference discussing at E3. They'll still only have an hour, and despite it being in less than 3 weeks, they have plenty of time to look at reactions to this conference and mold this upcoming showing based on that.

I would be really surprised if we even get 10 mins total on TV-related PR, honestly. Especially after they put out statements like this.

I'm always interested to see what kind of games they'll have at E3. But i honestly think they fucked up big time.
I think even brand loyal fanboys will make a switch now. That's how bad they fucked up. And not just by showing too few great games. I even think the best games in the world couldn't save them now.

Their hope lies with the uninformed ignorant majority of the consumers. So they might still sell tens of millions.

You weren't expecting to at least some games teased on a console launch and you are happy they discussed watching TV instead?

The fucking insanity of it all is pickling my mind.

They did tease some games.

I don't know what conference you were watching...

Foffy

Banned
So they announce that this is a hardware/entertainment reveal beforehand. They state before and during the show that E3 is where all the games will be...

...yet, you still have the geniuses on Gaf saying they're backpedaling and doing damage control.

I'm glad I actually pay attention to what's happening around me outside of some narrow field of view.

It's not the lack of games that have MS doing damage control. Where in the world did you come to that conclusion? Just follow the things said by Phil Harrison yesterday. That was the firestorm. It confirmed the evil rumors for this machine.

bndadm

the problem with the reveal wasn't really the conference. the problem was all the actual details surrounding the way games work on the console.

Not only that, but just how the console in general works. Take out the 8 minutes of EA talking about how sports requires brains, and that's time you could have used to solidify actual facts about the console you just showed.

Great, I can switch between live TV. Is Xbox Live a subscription? Will any of these services be behind a paywall? Cloud. Okay, give us actual examples of how that will be used.
I don't need an exact dollar amount, but tell the media something solid.

They're going to have to spend a chunk of time at E3 actually answering questions they didn't bother with at the conference. So I don't understand how they 'saved time".

Edit: Yes I know there has been more information trickling out (some of it unclear and at odds with other MS statements). But when you have the camera, the media all watching, how do you not want to take that time to state some facts?

R-User!

"That will free us up for E3 to just like, nail it on games."

But for the next 2 and a half weeks:

"TV TV TV TV TV TV COD TV TV TV TV WE WILL ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS AT E3 TV TV TV TV

TV
TV

TEE VEE

Megatron

The conference turned out to be the best thing about the day as far as the XBone is concerned. It's all the stuff that came out after that made people crazy.

Raide

Based upon some of the new Kinect stuff, a fitness game will sell a load of units. Could be their Wii Fit if they market it well.

<cautiously opens door to the lion’s den>

Hey! I made it to a top level GAF thread!

For those that didn’t listen to the full podcast – please do. The full context of what I said I think was honest – both about the name (that for gamers, there is a bit of a leap you have to make between Xbox One and the original Xbox, but after that I like it), and what we were trying to do yesterday with the announce. I stand by the statement – this was the first part of our story. This is the part of the story that people sitting at E3 don’t like – but that doesn’t mean it’s not important or we’re embarrassed about it. The rest of the story will unfold throughout the year – there is a lot to talk about, a lot to explain, and yesterday was just the beginning. From what I’ve seen, E3 is going to be awesome and that’s where more of the gaming story will unfold.

There are unanswered questions – things we aren’t prepared to talk about yet for reasons that <surprise> I can’t talk about. That’s not the same thing as dodging the question.

What I love most about this industry – and the reason I’ve been in it for almost 20 years – is the passion we all have. I know not everything we said landed with you yesterday. I do believe that, embedded in what we showed, are some features that are really going to change gaming for the better; the instant switching, snap mode, and giving developers access to cloud compute will, I think, be an awesome thing for gamers.

I know there are still a lot of questions, but there is still a lot of time before we launch to get everything answered.

I was *hoping* for an embarrassing GIF since I have a face made for radio, but making fun of Henshaw is OK in my book, too.

<slowly closes door and waves goodbye>

freddy

Banned
What is this condescending bullshit? ^ If you're going to come in here and toe the PR line and answer nothing then why come at all?

I'm assuming this is you?

Albert Penello
@albertpenello

Old school games industry marketer and planner. Leads planning for Xbox 360 and Kinect hardware. Lover of movies, video games, muscle cars and giant robots.

Sydle

<cautiously opens door to the lion&#8217;s den>

For those that didn&#8217;t listen to the full podcast &#8211; please do. The full context of what I said I think was honest &#8211; both about the name (that for gamers, there is a bit of a leap you have to make between Xbox One and the original Xbox, but after that I like it), and what we were trying to do yesterday with the announce. I stand by the statement &#8211; this was the first part of our story. This is the part of the story that people sitting at E3 don&#8217;t like &#8211; but that doesn&#8217;t mean it&#8217;s not important or we&#8217;re embarrassed about it. The rest of the story will unfold throughout the year &#8211; there is a lot to talk about, a lot to explain, and yesterday was just the beginning. From what I&#8217;ve seen, E3 is going to be awesome and that&#8217;s where more of the gaming story will unfold.

There are unanswered questions &#8211; things we aren&#8217;t prepared to talk about yet for reasons that <surprise> I can&#8217;t talk about. That&#8217;s not the same thing as dodging the question.

What I love most about this industry &#8211; and the reason I&#8217;ve been in it for almost 20 years &#8211; is the passion we all have. I know not everything we said landed with you yesterday. I do believe that, embedded in what we showed, are some features that are really going to change gaming for the better; the instant switching, snap mode, and giving developers access to cloud compute will, I think, be an awesome thing for gamers.

I know there are still a lot of questions, but there is still a lot of time before we launch to get everything answered.

I was *hoping* for an embarrassing GIF since I have a face made for radio, but making fun of Henshaw is OK in my book, too.

Good post. Thanks.

The drama queens are just playing their part. They need something to fuss over or they wouldn't know what to do with themselves. The rest of us are waiting to see the second part of this 2-part reveal.

DocSeuss

<cautiously opens door to the lion’s den>

For those that didn’t listen to the full podcast – please do. The full context of what I said I think was honest – both about the name (that for gamers, there is a bit of a leap you have to make between Xbox One and the original Xbox, but after that I like it), and what we were trying to do yesterday with the announce. I stand by the statement – this was the first part of our story. This is the part of the story that people sitting at E3 don’t like – but that doesn’t mean it’s not important or we’re embarrassed about it. The rest of the story will unfold throughout the year – there is a lot to talk about, a lot to explain, and yesterday was just the beginning. From what I’ve seen, E3 is going to be awesome and that’s where more of the gaming story will unfold.

There are unanswered questions – things we aren’t prepared to talk about yet for reasons that <surprise> I can’t talk about. That’s not the same thing as dodging the question.

What I love most about this industry – and the reason I’ve been in it for almost 20 years – is the passion we all have. I know not everything we said landed with you yesterday. I do believe that, embedded in what we showed, are some features that are really going to change gaming for the better; the instant switching, snap mode, and giving developers access to cloud compute will, I think, be an awesome thing for gamers.

What should have happened is that the conference should have shown a solid half-hour of games to begin with, with a healthy mix of old favorites (like Forza) and new stuff.

...and then said "oh yeah, so, that said, here's what ELSE we have." Then blown our minds with the multimedia content, revealing a device that can do all the media stuff. That would have put people in a better "oh, so the focus is on games, but also other things" mood without actually changing anything.

Making decisions to mess with used games, letting people borrow games, and require online connectivity? That, well, just completely screwed Microsoft.

Also, saying "TV" a lot and dedicating so much time to Call of Duty is silly. The people watching this aren't the people who go buy Call of Duty.

Geez. I could pace these presentations better than Microsoft.

Sydle

How exactly is it a good post? It says nothing we haven't heard before. Maybe I missed something.

• They said this was a 2-part reveal and he's sticking with it
  • He graciously acknowledged all the feedback as passion

I see no reason to attack him.

What a load of cock.

"We didn't show the games for our brand games console (except the ones we did) because we are going to show them off in 2 weeks at E3 anyway."

Why was there a need for this event, so close to E3 then? People complain about that stuff at E3 when it's actually mixed with games, why would you think showing just the things people didn't like about E3 conferences and calling it the console reveal would be a good idea?

Ignoring the PR disaster that rained down after the event was over as we were given different and conflicting answers to basic questions about the console, this excuse for why there weren't more games is ridiculous and evidence of poor planning and expectation management.

I'll believe it when i see it.

Games that we have corrected directly with your t.v experience, with the halo tv series based on the halo Games. What how quickly you can change between Games and television with the kinect, which can also be used with Games

Thats how i suspect e3 will be.

Sydle

What a load of cock.

"We didn't show the games for our brand games console (except the ones we did) because we are going to show them off in 2 weeks at E3 anyway."

Why was there a need for this event, so close to E3 then? People complain about that stuff at E3 when it's actually mixed with games, why would you think showing just the things people didn't like about E3 conferences and calling it the console reveal would be a good idea?

Ignoring the PR disaster that rained down after the event was over as we were given different answers to basic questions about the console, this excuse for why there weren't more games is ridiculous and evidence of poor planning and expectation management.

Major Nelson and Aaron Greenburg were very upfront that it was a 2-part reveal starting weeks ago. Mattrick even mentioned it in the intro. Right or wrong, they were honest and transparent about their intentions.

You just weren't paying attention.

Major Nelson and Aaron Greenburg were very upfront that it was a 2-part reveal starting weeks ago. Mattrick even mentioned it in the intro. Right or wrong, they were honest and transparent about their intentions.

You just weren't paying attention.

When I suggested that Microsoft would not show many, if any, games I was shot down and told that of course they would hours before the console started.

Elija2

The conference itself isn't the only reason people are put off of by Xbox One. It was certainly underwhelming, but I think it was the details that came out afterwards (always online, no used games, etc.) that people are most upset about.

freddy

Banned
  • They said this was a 2-part reveal and he's sticking with it
  • He graciously acknowledged all the feedback as passion

I see no reason to attack him.

How am I attacking him? I would like to know if he joined this forum just to use as free PR and damage control or if he has something substantial to say to all the people that are disappointed with the reveal. I'm sure he is a big boy and can take a straight shooting question from people.

antonz

See Microsoft is wrong in a good hardware reveal is just as exciting as game reveals. There is a reason why Hardware reveal E3s have always been hyped as the most exciting.

if your hardware reveal is going to be lame sure you say no one likes them

USC-fan

Banned
5 pages and no one made the seinfeld GIF for this thread? Instead of a show about nothing. We are going to make an event about stuff everyone hates....

Im let down GAF.

Bsigg12

What should have happened is that the conference should have shown a solid half-hour of games to begin with, with a healthy mix of old favorites (like Forza) and new stuff.

...and then said "oh yeah, so, that said, here's what ELSE we have." Then blown our minds with the multimedia content, revealing a device that can do all the media stuff. That would have put people in a better "oh, so the focus is on games, but also other things" mood without actually changing anything.

Making decisions to mess with used games, letting people borrow games, and require online connectivity? That, well, just completely screwed Microsoft.

Also, saying "TV" a lot and dedicating so much time to Call of Duty is silly. The people watching this aren't the people who go buy Call of Duty.

Geez. I could pace these presentations better than Microsoft.

I fully expect 60-70 minutes of nothing but great looking XBO games at E3 now. Reserve some time to go over plans for the end of life of the 360 and then just go to town on the next gen games. They covered all the shit that is boring so they should theoretically be 100% focused on June 10th, but we'll see.

Sydle

How am I attacking him? I would like to know if he joined this forum just to use as free PR and damage control or if he has something substantial to say to all the people that ere disappointed with the reveal. I'm sure he is a big boy and can take a straight shooting question from people.

Your response was inflammatory is all. He's doing his job to try to quell some agitated gamers and there's only so much he's allowed to share.

Based on the confusion from yesterday regarding post-reveal Q&A it seems MS needs to work on getting their story straight before addressing gamers again. I think reminding gamers they intended a 2-part reveal is a good start, because it's obvious they didn't do a good enough job making that crystal clear to everyone watching.

freddy

Banned
Your response was inflammatory is all. He's doing his job to try to quell some agitated gamers and there's only so much he's allowed to share.

Based on the confusion from yesterday regarding post-reveal Q&A it seems MS needs to work on getting their story straight before addressing gamers again. I think reminder gamers they intended a 2-part reveal is a good start, because it's obvious they didn't do a good enough job making that crystal clear to everyone watching.
And I'm saying that on NeoGAF it's been frowned upon for company reps to come on here and just spout PR. That may be his job at Microsoft but if he wants to post here and be respected he has to abide by the rules. Would you really like it if this forum became a place where PR reps from Nintendo, EA or Sony thought they could come and post blatant PR and then disappear? If he wants to come in the lions den then he should sit down with the lions and straight talk. If he can't then I'm sure people would prefer he just steers clear of the topic and posts about other stuff or use his knowledge to help in some way like he has in the 'Xbox is huge' topic. I could be speaking way out of line here and I'm sure a mod will tell me so if I am, but that's the way I see it.

Beren

I am sure that we will see many games from the Xbox One on the E3 , but that is not what scares me, is the whole "no used games/always online/TV remote/the power of the clouds" that turned me off :(

I still hope that they rollback on these things, i really want to play a good Fable on next gen. Come on Peter you can do it this time i hope! :3

I fully expect 60-70 minutes of nothing but great looking XBO games at E3 now. Reserve some time to go over plans for the end of life of the 360 and then just go to town on the next gen games. They covered all the shit that is boring so they should theoretically be 100% focused on June 10th, but we'll see.

The second Usher/a movie trailer comes on, I'm turning off the conference.

Top Bottom