• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple reports of joycon connectivity issues in Switch previews

Ganondolf

Seems like a interference issue. Watching a live stream, gamexplain q&a.

He was asked the question about the joycon issue and he said he played for a day in his office and had no issues. The next day he moved it to the living and had it happen multiple times.

Piccoro

Friends dont let friends buy launch hardware.

Wait a month or two. See what breaks.

Yeah, as a person that will only get the Switch on the 2017 holiday season, I thank you all the early adopters for beta testing. Your sacrifice will make my purchase much smoother.

Thanks again and I'm sorry...

fernoca

While I get that is great this kind of issues are reported, to demand an immediate response from Nintendo...

It also has become like a race to see who has the most problems and tweets about them first.

One may think that before a tweet they would contact Nintendo and try to find a solution, then report of any issues and any fixes...or if there aren't and is an actual widespread issue.

Kinda reminds me of Guitar Hero Live. I never had any problems with it, until a friend came over to play. Stopped recognizing the inputs and made the game unplayable. Turned off routers, phones... problems persisted. What ended been the issue? My friend's smartwatch. Placing it in the living room while playing, solved it.

MutFox

Banned
Didn't some person at an event have an issue due to interference?

So could be an outside influence.

We'll see...

Yeah, as a person that will only get the Switch on the 2017 holiday season, I thank you all the early adopters for beta testing. Your sacrifice will make my purchase much smoother.

Nothing to be sorry about. I'll be playing Zelda, ARMS, and Splatoon 2 on this thing before you.

So do we still not know if this happens with the charging grip or not?

Thanks for apologizing man. I don't know if I would have felt alright about my purchase without it.

The interference thing is odd as well considering the places they were demoed - there is a shit lot of switches running , combined with everyones phones, tablets, laptops etc.

I wonder if those switches actually had a firmware update to correct the issue and these review copies were produced at the start of the year or earlier and haven't been flashed with 1.01 or something.

Why would you be sorry? I bought a PS3, 360, Wii and Wii U day and I had no problems. I had a great time lol

As I said in the preview thread, the video posted looks very much like interference or range issues. My PS4 would get exactly those issues when I had it partially blocked by the TV - Geralt would keep running, or not respond to interactions sometimes.
Sucks, and hopefully Nintendo will quickly fix this.

jviggy43

Kotaku reporting that the sync issues with Zelda will be fixed upon release of Zelda's season pass. (They were joking haha)

ymgve

Anyone having issues with the right Joycon so far? If not, I assume this is a hardware issue. There's little reason a software issue would only affect the left Joycon, but there are tons of ways it could be a hardware issue (bad antenna shape, bad soldering joints etc) since the boards for the left and right controllers are different.

Or...could be a software issue if the cause is that the left controller is more "active" - you are basically moving the character almost all the time so the left one is constantly sending updated stick coordinates, while the right one mostly have occasional button presses and short camera adjustments.

duckroll

I wonder if this is related to some of the odd Treehouse stuff back during the reveal. When they did the Bomberman live demo, they seemed to have Joycon sync issues which just looked like logistics problem at the time... hmmm...

Good thing I'm getting a Pro Controller, so even if it's fucked up I can still play Zelda... (._.)

I can't fathom Nintendo not tending to an issue like this. Will be super surprised and disappointed if they don't have some sort of a patch or recall/replacement program to sort it out.

Otnopolit

Anyone having issues with the right Joycon so far? If not, I assume this is a hardware issue. There's little reason a software issue would only affect the left Joycon, but there are tons of ways it could be a hardware issue (bad antenna shape, bad soldering joints etc) since the boards for the left and right controllers are different.

Or...could be a software issue if the cause is that the left controller is more "active" - you are basically moving the character almost all the time so the left one is constantly sending updated stick coordinates, while the right one mostly have occasional button presses and short camera adjustments.

It sounds like a software error if it's interference.

I can't fathom Nintendo not tending to an issue like this. Will be super surprised and disappointed if they don't have some sort of a patch or recall/replacement program to sort it out.
If it is indeed a firmware issue, either reviewers will have access to the patch before launch or everyone will have the fix snuck into the day 1 update.

Why would Nintendo let this pass? You don't think they've tested all kinds of scenarios? Nintendo isn't trying to send a system out with some bad press with the hardware on purpose.

My bad. I meant that it's weird they didn't detect the issue. No one mentionned this during the hands on events.

They probably should add patch on-catridge for the system for all games coming out because this will be a major issue with people whodont have internet. (Surprisingly amount of people)

The interference thing is odd as well considering the places they were demoed - there is a shit lot of switches running , combined with everyones phones, tablets, laptops etc.

I wonder if those switches actually had a firmware update to correct the issue and these review copies were produced at the start of the year or earlier and haven't been flashed with 1.01 or something.

This is apparently only happening when people use it 6 feet or more away from the console, whereas these preview demos had everyone standing quite close to the consoles.

They probably should add patch on-catridge for the system for all games coming out because this will be a major issue with people whodont have internet. (Surprisingly amount of people)

This likely won't be a problem for people without internet because it seems to be an issue of wireless interference.

The bonus of Switch is that they can just bring it to a public place with Wifi!

I like your solution too, though.

ToD_

I wonder if range is a contributing factor here. I haven't been to any of the Switch events, but I imagine they are set up in a way where the player is close to the unit and TV. Most likely standing right in front of it.

Reviewers will more than likely have a more typical setup, with their seating removed further away from the unit/TV.

Not that it's reassuring, but it could be a reason why the Switches at the events have no connectivity issues.

DjRalford

This is apparently only happening when people use it 6 feet or more away from the console, whereas these preview demos had everyone standing quite close to the consoles.

This likely won't be a problem for people without internet because it seems to be an issue of wireless interference.

I would imagine most living rooms have people about 6ft - 8ft away from their TV.

Suppose. Seen a fair few stand up 1,2 switch ,kart sessions though with no issues. Be good if someone could ask the journalist with constant Zelda problems to set it up in a more friendly environment and see if that solves his issues.

Indelible

Really hope this can be fixed with a firmware update, I'am buying a Switch on launch and it would suck to deal with this.

Fredrik

This likely won't be a problem for people without internet because it seems to be an issue of wifi interference.
6 feet is less than 2 meters! Wow if this is a hardware issue then we won't hear about anything else Switch related in the media or youtube after the launch.

koss424

I've owned pretty much every Nintendo System at launch and have never had any real issues with any of them. Guess I've been lucky.

This synching thing sounds really shitty though.

Weird. I would've assumed that the Joycons still communicated wirelessly when attached. Apparently there's a physical data contact?

I thought they communicated wirelessly too even when in handheld mode

Otnopolit

But why would a software interference error only affect the left controller?

I'm not sure. We do know that the joycons are certainly not identical. The right joycon has a IR sensor, the other the + button, etc. Some have speculated that maybe the joycons connect to the unit via a slave set up, with the right one being the master, and therefore opening the left up to interference? I wish I knew.

But connectivity issues, and I'm going on a whim, seem to always be related to software problems. Untested variables that arise in different gaming environments.

Kouriozan

As I said in the preview thread, the video posted looks very much like interference or range issues. My PS4 would get exactly those issues when I had it partially blocked by the TV - Geralt would keep running, or not respond to interactions sometimes.
Sucks, and hopefully Nintendo will quickly fix this.
I had the same problem with DS 4 and PS Vita TV, whenever one of my cats would pass in front of me, the controller would briefly lose connection.
Never happened on PS4 though.

Falchion

Another reason I'm happy I didn't pre-order. The Switch launch seems like a beta test so I'll wait for some of the bugs to get ironed out with this and online play.

One of these things costs a whole lot more money than the other.

Well obviously the first would be far more preferable, but the latter is still not the end of the world. An issue with the actual console would be far, far worse. I'm speaking as a consumer, as I don't really care about how this affects Nintendo, financially.

Top Bottom