• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple reports of joycon connectivity issues in Switch previews

Yeah, I've got a long 1-2-Switch session planned by dinner

rbpQb3M.gif

Waji

This is what pushed you over the edge? You had an entire week to wait for more information and make a more informed decision lol
Sometimes I wonder why people are preordering. Maybe they didn't and just say that to make it look like bigger than it probably is.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if I feel like if they were aware of the problem and were working on a fix for launch, they would have informed press about this before previews went live. Unless they thought the issue was more isolated than it appears to be.
Could be that. It could be that the firmware updated before they sent out the units and there were unforeseen problems they didn't test for.

Could be that. It could be that the firmware updated before they sent out the units and there were unforeseen problems they didn't test for.

If it's just a software issue and a firmware update can fix it, I have no worries, so I hope that's the case. Heck, I can deal even if it's just an issue with a bad batch of controllers getting produced.

What I'm worried is that it's a flaw with the Switch hardware itself. Hopefully not!

AdanVC

UGHHHHH I'm in Mexico and I'm one of those crazy dudes who will pay pay $480 dollars just for the console itself instead of waiting for a price drop so don't pull this kind of crap, Nintendo! Now I'm worried :'(

We know that Neon vs. Grey are pretty much the same hardware wise, but the fact that the Switch can recognize which one is connected shows that there is at least some variation, whether it be a signal or tiny code or something. Maybe it is just something that happened in left Joy-Con production?

Strange issue. They've obviously used the Joy-Cons a lot during development, so it seems like any issues journalists would notice in their early hours would've been noticed long ago unless it's a flaw introduced right at the end.

Kindekuma

Banned

The issue is happening to some units, not all. A firmware patch to fix less-common pairing issue joy-cons would be better than to not have the system roll out when there are Joy-Cons that work fine. Nintendo could have been aware of the issues but continued to roll out the units knowing they'd fix it.

shandy706

My DS4 has never disconnected from my PS4. Not once. If the Joycons do that's unacceptable.

It will however, die instantly and with only a couple days (like 6 hours total for me) of playtime X-D.

Happened to me yesterday while playing Uncharted 4. Had to pull out my 8 foot USB cable, derp.

Well that's not good. I can still control my Xbox One with its controller from like 40-50' away.

TheFuzz

It's pretty obvious that something software-related was done before these were shipped since not a single press event had this issue. It's likely a quick firmware patch that most people will never even realize was an issue.

And just when I was planning to play BOTW entirely with the joycons+grip... hahaha screw this. Hope a fix comes out freaking soon otherwise this will be a disaster.
I would imagine Nintendo are well aware of this issue at this point in time, have we heard about this issue in Japan?

It's pretty obvious that something software-related was done before these were shipped since not a single press event had this issue. It's likely a quick firmware patch that most people will never even realize was an issue.

Let's hope, 'cause I was slightly concerned before Jason's latest tweet. Now I'm worried.

koss424

And just when I was planning to play BOTW entirely with the joycons+grip... hahaha screw this. Hope a fix comes out freaking soon otherwise this will be a disaster.

Did you not see footage of people playing Zelda for hours and hours with the JoyCons grip in the last month? You might want to wait this out before declaring it a disaster.

Plum

Requoting from the preview thread:

I can confirm that I personally reached out and did get a response that they're looking into it. So if anything, they're aware. I'm just hoping and praying for an easy fix. The last thing Nintendo needs right now is some sort of hardware launch debacle.

So at the very least Nintendo knows it's a thing. Whether they can fix it and when is still unknown.

Sounds annoying, honestly lately a lot of wireless things have had issues with the rise of wireless tech clogging the airways, doesn't sound good if a joycon can't be used only small sitting distance away.

TheFuzz

Let's hope, 'cause I was slightly concerned before Jason's latest tweet. Now I'm worried.

How does anyone conclude that it's a hardware issue when thousands of people have used these in the past two months and this hasn't come up?

Something was tweaked and it broke the syncing functionality. It'll be an update on launch that will fix it. Nintendos record as far as hardware reliability goes is good, so how thousands of units have a hardware issue that not a single person noticed before is extremely unlikely.

GrayDock

I can't see this being a software problem, otherwise everybody would have it or don't have it.
Unless that are different firmwares around which would be unheard off.

It can be a radio router interference, like the LG 5K Apple one, but do we have some report on that? It happens outside?

It looks more like a hardware problem with some component (bluetooth/wifi chip) batch that went in the production line that slipped the QA.

Sorry if someone already talk about that, but the thread is going kind fast to keep up.

How does anyone conclude that it's a hardware issue when thousands of people have used these in the past two months and this hasn't come up?

Something was tweaked and it broke the syncing functionality. It'll be an update on launch that will fix it. Nintendos record as far as hardware reliability goes is good, so how thousands of units have a hardware issue that not a single person noticed before is extremely unlikely.

You're probably right. Doesn't change the fact that it's concerning.

Smellycat

GameXplain is showing off the Switch UI in a livestream right now. The joycons haven't 'unsynced' once in docked mode.

He is saying that Zelda is perfectly playable with the grip and joy-cons

It seems like Jason is the only one so far who is having serious problems with the left joy cons. Others have mentioned it but they are not saying it is really bad

I can't see this being a software problem, otherwise everybody would have it or don't have it.
I've been in far too many trouble shooting forums to not know that these exact sort of issues can happen and not happen to so many different people at once in the same firmware. "I don't know about you, but mine works fine!"

koss424

I've owned pretty much every Nintendo System at launch and have never had any real issues with any of them. Guess I've been lucky.

This synching thing sounds really shitty though.

You didn't have a problem with the 3ds battery at launch? I thought that was a universal problem.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
I know people keep saying we should wait and all to buy new consoles, but as someone who wants to play Zelda soon, it's frustrating that I'm now having to choose between tying my save to an older system till at least December, or picking up a console that's undercooked and possibly buggy, but is future proof (and handheld). I hope Nintendo says something, but my gut is saying they won't.

Fredrik

Sounds annoying, honestly lately a lot of wireless things have had issues with the rise of wireless tech clogging the airways, doesn't sound good if a joycon can't be used only small sitting distance away.
Annoying? Sounds like a disaster.

Hopefully it can be fixed with a software update though, it's a key feature after all. Even though this takes away the positives in many previews it's still a good thing that Nintendo finds out about this before the launch, even though we're just talking about a few days.

Smellycat

Looks like it's not everyone that has this problem. Good news to anyone that did pre-order.

Nope he just mentioned it

He didn't have any issues until yesterday. Link would not respond to his commands

He also says that other people have had 4-5 issues within 1 hour

Top Bottom