• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple reports of joycon connectivity issues in Switch previews

The Boat

Surely they would have had similar issue with other wireless controllers if that were the case. If they did, they wouldn't be making a big deal out of this.
As I said, I'm having this issue and I've been having trouble connecting the Steam Controller as well lately.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Funny you mention this, but a friend of mine's first PS4 on launch would not pair with the controllers at all. We tried everything. Took it back, replacement was fine.

I'm not in any way excusing Nintendo, though. This needs to be fixed.

DS4 connectivity with the PS4 is actually one of my biggest complaints about the PS4 actually. Hell even resynching the controller is a pain in the ass.

Huh, well alright then. Guess I've been lucky, as I've had none of those issues with any of my three DS4s. (The reason I've had three is because of the rubber issue though, and that's worth complaining about.)

koss424

All Nintendo has to do is come out and say what the problem is and how it's fixable. They should really put a statement out.

I know its early post-embargo, mean there are lots of review units out there and only one published preview with this problem and tow other anecdotal claims over twitter. Let's just wait this out a few more hours before we claim that Nintendo has to make statements/amends here. There were countless of hours played on the Switch Tour in the last month and no one reported any of these issues.

The sad part of video game journalism is that it is a goal of the game to collect the most eyeballs.

Schnozberry

Surely they would have had similar issue with other wireless controllers if that were the case. If they did, they wouldn't be making a big deal out of this.

That really depends on what combination of devices you have that share frequencies. Without knowing specifically how the Joycons communicate and what else may be interfering it's hard to tell. I had a cordless home phone that would disrupt the connection between my cell phone and wireless speakers and it took me ages to isolate the source of it.

ViolentP

The 1 2 Switch preview on Giantbomb went for about an hour and there didn't appear to be any connectivity issues. That's actually a bit disconcerting as it could potentially be a hardware problem.

maxcriden

As I said, I'm having this issue and I've been having trouble connecting the Steam Controller as well lately.

Sorry to hear it. When you are having this issue with the Joy-Con, how often is it happening, and how long does it take to re-sync?

Basically, input is delayed on the left Joy-Con for a very short window. Maybe 2-3 seconds. Reminded me of the PS3 controller sync issue.

https://twitter.com/jose_otero/status/834796058479726592

Hmm, so is it a connectivity issue in the sense that it actually disconnects or is it just a small interference where you have some input delay for a few seconds? People say different things.

Weird. I'm more confused now! If it's input delay, how often is that occurring? Surely not constantly?

Vena

So is there a compiled list of review sites confirmed connectivity issues and those that don't?

The 1 2 Switch preview on Giantbomb went for about an hour and there didn't appear to be any connectivity issues. That's actually a bit disconcerting as it could potentially be a hardware problem.

Sounds like a frequency overlap problem, so it will likely be rather sparsely spread to the few outlets that match a very specific set of conditions for wifi band-noise.

There definitely were. Two or three times I remember specifically they had to reconnect a JoyCon. At the time I thought it might have just been Jeff or Drew accidentally hitting a button that caused it to disconnect, but now it makes more sense.

CDX

The best theory I've seen so far, considering this was never reported as happening during the preview events, is that maybe this is an unintended bug from an update to the system between the preview event hardware and now. In that case, it might be an easy fix.
Yeah, we didn't hear reports of this issue from the preview events. That gives me hope a firmware update can possibly fix this.

Hopefully the Day 1 update fixes whatever is causing this, and this is all forgotten about after next week.

ViolentP

Sounds like a frequency overlap problem, so it will likely be rather sparsely spread to the few outlets that match a very specific set of conditions for wifi band-noise.

I imagine these things went through enough QA testing that a working environment exists. This is hopefully as you say a frequency issue and nothing hardware related.

There definitely were. Two or three times I remember specifically they had to reconnect a JoyCon. At the time I thought it might have just been Jeff or Drew accidentally hitting a button that caused it to disconnect, but now it makes more sense.

Ah, I hadn't noticed. I would actually be more comfortable if this issue affected 100% of Joy-Cons as it would likely mean a firmware update would resolve the issue.

This is what pushed you over the edge? You had an entire week to wait for more information and make a more informed decision lol
Some people are just looking for a reason. They likely shouldn't have ordered in the first place due to financial reasons or some other stuff.

ViolentP

Some people are just looking for a reason. They likely shouldn't have ordered in the first place due to financial reasons or some other stuff.

Some people know the risks of purchasing a new device on day 1. It's not a crazy idea and doesn't indicate any sort of financial motive.

ironcreed

Banned
Huh? When you were a kid, you used to lose controllers?

I don't think you give children enough credit.

When I was a kid the controllers were not dwarf size attachments for a console that was made up of detachable parts. Quite a bit different than a good old joystick or wired controller. Or hell, even today with a wireless traditional controller. But in order to have that it will set you back an extra $70. Sorry, not seeing the appeal.

Huh, yea, Nintendo better speak up soon about this. I'm okay with an OS with little to no features because I really just want to play games and barely give a shit about anything else on consoles, but I certainly won't jump in day 1 with these kinds of problems. Let's see what happens.

I imagine this could get fixed with the Day 1 update

But I'm not sure
I recall no reported issues with connectivity during preview events, and those last all day with joycons handled by hundreds of people, sometimes from faraway distances (a friend of mine was able to play 1, 2, Switch while in line waiting for Splatoon 2, for example.)

Which is probably why reporters are not making this a huger stink than it is, because they can recall that the joycons actually worked before

Jose Otero (IGN) says this has happened to him 2-3 times while playing around 20 hours of Zelda.

So, it's definitely an issue that needs to be addressed. But it's slightly less worrying than I originally thought. But still, damn. Hope this is resolved quickly.

Synless

Remember when the Sixaxis controller on PS3 would randomly lose connection for several seconds and your character would spin wildly? It was never resolved until the Dualshock 3 came out and Sony did nothing about it for the affected consumers.

Not saying this issue is the same, but it doesn't mean it is software or that Nintendo will do anything about it either. It all depends how widespread and how frequently it happens.

Malakai

This reminds me. My biggest controller issue with the Wii U is that it's compatible with so many controllers that when I reach my hand into my controller bin for, let's say a Pro Controller, I usually end up turning on like 3 Wii Remotes and then I have to go into controller settings and disconnect them.

I'm excited to have a new set of controllers so that this won't happen haha.

Why don't you section them off (Wii Remotes on one side and the Wii Pro Controller on the other side) vs throwing them all in a drawer together?

On the Gamexplain live q and a stream, Andre just suggested that it worked fine until he moved it to a different room where someone he was showing it to had issues. He suggests the issue might be related to interference

Vitacat

Regarding this very, very panic-worthy issue, I urge people who live near me to immediately cancel their preorders, and avoid buying a Switch next week. After all, what might be next, exploding joycons? Don't take any chances!

Plus, I missed out on preorders and that will greatly increase my chances of getting one on the 3rd.

Kindekuma

Banned
This is a kind of issue that would necessitate a firmware patch day one. I highly doubt Nintendo is gonna sit on this issue, they're already aware and probably have been aware of it longer than what's been reported.

This is a kind of issue that would necessitate a firmware patch day one. I highly doubt Nintendo is gonna sit on this issue, they're already aware and probably have been aware of it longer than what's been reported.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if I feel like if they were aware of the problem and were working on a fix for launch, they would have informed press about this before previews went live. Unless they thought the issue was more isolated than it appears to be.

Why don't you section them off (Wii Remotes on one side and the Wii Pro Controller on the other side) vs throwing them all in a drawer together?

Because I am a disorganized mess and any semblance of structure is quickly shattered by my own laziness.

Bit I'm going to have a switch-specific drawer so, especially starting out, that will be nice and neat. Until I get the GameCube Joy-Con, the special edition Skyward Sword HD Joy-Con, the Switch Blaster that's gonna come with Duck Hunt: XTreme, and the fourth charger I buy after I lose my others which I then find shortly after.

Top Bottom