• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple reports of joycon connectivity issues in Switch previews

Just to clarify, this clearly isn't happening to every Switch when the left joycon is over 6 feet from the console, just apparently some of the ones affected.

I know. But god knows it'll happen to me as I'm sashaying away, swingin' my hips and workin' my poses.

I'm pretty confident in their ability to fix this in the next week with an update. Also I'm being slightly hyperbolic, but I am most excited for that mini game to make my friends look like fools. Especially my straight friends lol.

This. At a preview event you have multiple units in close proximity along with various types of cell phones and likely several internet access points. Units are being used for hours non-stop since the joycons are suppose to have a 20 hour battery limit. It's like the ideal stress test.

The difference is, at most of the previews I saw footage/images of people were within 2-3 feet of the console at all times, so if distance is a factor here you wouldn't expect many issues.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
We will see. Is it affecting multiple software or only Zelda? Do they have their phones on wifi/Bluetooth/4g nearby? Is it a smart TV connected to wifi? Do they live in an apartment complex or in a office with dozens of wifi access points?

The Xbox one controller disconnected constantly for me if I had my phone anywhere near the console or controller and often even if I didn't. These kinds of issues are not unheard of. Look up Xbox one controller disconnected on Google and get hundreds of forum posts and complaints.

My DS4 has never disconnected from my PS4. Not once. If the Joycons do that's unacceptable.

Surely they would have had similar issue with other wireless controllers if that were the case. If they did, they wouldn't be making a big deal out of this.

As others have pointed out the Xbox one controller was notorious for this until the Bluetooth upgraded version last year.

This reminds me. My biggest controller issue with the Wii U is that it's compatible with so many controllers that when I reach my hand into my controller bin for, let's say a Pro Controller, I usually end up turning on like 3 Wii Remotes and then I have to go into controller settings and disconnect them.

I'm excited to have a new set of controllers so that this won't happen haha.

shanafan

Having flashbacks to Xbox one controllers constantly disconnecting....

I never have had that problem, and I still have my Day One 2013 Edition controller.

That's why I think this situation with the Joy Cons makes me susceptible that it's isolated.

Peltz

Wait until kids start breaking and losing them or another one of the pieces. Too many moving parts and accessories that make up the system, but Nintendo loves that sort of thing.

Huh? When you were a kid, you used to lose controllers?

I don't think you give children enough credit.

I never have had that problem, and I still have my Day One 2013 Edition controller.

That's why I think this situation with the Joy Cons makes me susceptible that it's isolated.

It definitely sounds like it's something that won't happen with every console. Still really sucks though.

leburn98

The more I read about it, the more it seems like interference from external sources. It only seems to be effecting a select few, approximately 6' away from the console, and connecting it to the unit seems to solve it.

The problem with some media outlets is they never try even the basics of troubleshooting before reporting on an issue. Reminds me of the time when Jeff at Giant Bomb was having tracking issues with PS VR. Funny how Dan brings the same unit home and the problem no longer exists. Troubleshooting is a simple process that sadly many do not attempt.

Effect

The difference is, at most of the previews I saw footage/images of people were within 2-3 feet of the console at all times, so if distance is a factor here you wouldn't expect many issues.

True. Distance wouldn't be tested really in that setup. However a lot of other things likely would be tested in an environment like that.

I wonder if the outlets with the issues can even say if Nintendo has responded to them or if they know of the issue.

Peltz

Preview events aren't really a good indicator for the performance under intensive everyday use.

But you'd think that if anyone was going to experience connectivity issues, it would be more likely to occur at a preview event than in a home. There's a lot more potential interference at those events. (I'm just playing devil's advocate here).

It's not even 8 am in Redmond yet.
Yeah...whenever they find out the problem and can get to it. It feels like pandemonium is going to break out all over YouTube now...ugh I can see the countless videos of "bad Nintendo hardware" and "don't buy Nintendos half baked system".

The more I read about it, the more it seems like interference from external sources. It only seems to be effecting a select few, approximately 6' away from the console, and connecting it to the unit seems to solve it.

The problem with some media outlets is they never try even the basics of troubleshooting before reporting on an issue. Reminds me of the time when Jeff at Giant Bomb was having tracking issues with PS VR. Funny how Dan brings the same unit home and the problem no longer exists. Troubleshooting is a simple process that sadly many do not attempt.

To be fair to said media outlets, they want to replicate what most end users will experience in order to give an accurate idea of the device. So while I don't blame them at all for reporting the issues at face value, you have a point that they should have at least tried to tweak with some of their wireless devices to see if anything fixes the issue.

Parapraxis

This reminds me. My biggest controller issue with the Wii U is that it's compatible with so many controllers that when I reach my hand into my controller bin for, let's say a Pro Controller, I usually end up turning on like 3 Wii Remotes and then I have to go into controller settings and disconnect them.

I'm excited to have a new set of controllers so that this won't happen haha.
Same thing, accidentally turning on my PS4, WiiU or PS2 when I get into my controller bag. Though I'd be much happier if Switch supported all the Wiimotes, Pro cobtollers and GC fight pads I own :(

So, is this happening in handheld mode and when they joycons are in the clip, or just when the press is using the joycons by themselves, like during 1-2-Switch gameplay?

My DS4 has never disconnected from my PS4. Not once. If the Joycons do that's unacceptable.
Funny you mention this, but a friend of mine's first PS4 on launch would not pair with the controllers at all. We tried everything. Took it back, replacement was fine.

I'm not in any way excusing Nintendo, though. This needs to be fixed.

hmm maybe i should wait till its fixed before picking up

It is not a bad attitude to have. I tend to do that with my cameras. Wait a year or two before purchase. Most come with problems that need to be ironed. All electronics do. The more use there is with a product, the more issues arise, but at the same time, the quicker they get dealt with.

Still picking up Switch day one though, looking forward to it .

ASIS

DS4 connectivity with the PS4 is actually one of my biggest complaints about the PS4 actually. Hell even resynching the controller is a pain in the ass.

I don't know about you guys but I hope the joy-con disconnect issue is an unresolvable hardware issue, that only manifests itself just often enough to warrant nintendo being compelled to mail out all of us early adopters new sets of joycons as replacements.

I am willing to put up with it to get a free set of joycons and dedicate the ones with wireless issues to handheld mode. Who is with me on this? :)

HeelPower

Wait until kids start breaking and losing them or another one of the pieces. Too many moving parts and accessories that make up the system, but Nintendo loves that sort of thing.

I was watching these unboxing videos ,and I kept thinking..why

So many stupid little things to this console,a grip that doesn't charge , tiny ass internal storage.

Nintendo, why you gotta be such a pain in the ass.

I don't know about you guys but I hope the joy-con disconnect issue is an unresolvable hardware issue, that only manifests itself just often enough to warrant nintendo being compelled to mail out all of us early adopters new sets of joycons as replacements.

I am willing to put up with it to get a free set of joycons and dedicate the ones with wireless issues to handheld mode. Who is with me on this? :)
No one.

DS4 connectivity with the PS4 is actually one of my biggest complaints about the PS4 actually. Hell even resynching the controller is a pain in the ass.

I have no issues with my DS4, but my XB1 controller loses connection constantly. It's honestly kind of insane how often it happens.

It is not a bad attitude to have. I tend to do that with my cameras. Wait a year or two before purchase. Most come with problems that need to be ironed. All electronics do. The more use there is with a product, the more issues arise, but at the same time, the quicker they get dealt with.

Still picking up Switch day one though, looking forward to it .

This isn't a professional camera though, waiting years seems excessive.

I think no one is.

Baleoce

Even in a worst case scenario where firmware won't fix it, generally Nintendo is quite good at RMA. I remember there was a batch of plugs that had faulty fuses with the n64 that needed sending back, and mine was one of them, and that was all sorted in a few days after sending. Not really useful info I guess as that was a long time ago. Kind of refreshing though, I hardly ever get these issues with Nintendo. It doesn't change the fact that it's never a good look when it does happen though.

It would just be an RMA of the joycon in question. You'd send it to them most likely, if it went beyond a firmware issue.

Morts

I was already on the fence, this might be a good enough reason to wait a few weeks and see how this shakes out.

Even in a worst case scenario where firmware won't fix it, generally Nintendo is quite good at RMA. I remember there was a batch of plugs that had faulty fuses with the n64 that needed sending back, and mine was one of them, and that was all sorted in a few days after sending. Not really useful info I guess as that was a long time ago. Kind of refreshing though, I hardly ever get these issues with Nintendo. It doesn't change the fact that it's never a good look when it does happen though.

In a non-safety issue case (where they want to be sure the faulty item won't/can't be used further), I highly doubt that if they were to have to provide a new hardware revision that they would add the cost of returning the old ones back to them to their losses.

But yes, if there is a hardware problem... they will bend over backwards to make it right, and fast, at or near launch. First, while the install base is small and second to cut the cancer of bad press out ASAP.

Top Bottom