• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple Stabbing at Neo-Nazi Rally in Sacramento

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fighting in the street against thugs also doesn't fix any of the issues you are referencing. In fact, your concerns are more troubling than street Nazis blowing hot air. They are my main concerns as well.

How would you fix the racism and hate enacted by those in places of power?

Well technically, those street Nazis are not alone.

Once again, for those that seem to have missed this:

This rally was in part organized by Golden State Skinheads and Traditionalist Worker Party. The latter national group is chaired by Matthew Heimbach, who made the news for shoving a black woman who was protesting at a Trump rally and is currently a plaintiff in a lawsuit for those actions. He shares the lawsuit with the current GOP frontrunning candidate, Donald Trump; those who filed the suit say Trump incited violence.

It's not particularly hidden that Trump's campaign is quite favored by white supremacists. It's been covered in a few places. One of his former delegates (the man chose to resign, so as not to saddle the campaign with his "baggage") is the founder of the American Freedom Party, also in California. The infamous David Duke has endorsed him to a point. The reason behind this escalation is one of our presidential candidates is openly championing policies and ideas that resonate strongly with white supremacy.

Mr. Trump’s support among white supremacists has been building from the day he announced his candidacy, when he characterized Mexican immigrants as “rapists.”

Since then, Mr. Trump — or “the glorious leader,” as one white-power writer is calling him — has only grown more popular with that constituency, which cheered his proposal to ban all Muslim immigration and his since-debunked claim to have seen “thousands and thousands of Muslims” celebrating the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, in New Jersey.

So to characterize this sentiment and concept as limited in scope seems to be disingenuous, does it not? These are the more open of those aspects, but the ideas behind those action extend much farther. The real fear of Trump isn't just that he might become President, but that his commentary is largely not a problem for him and as such, emboldens others with similar rhetoric. This is the damage. This is the fear. He normalizes what they are.

And we talk of understanding the protesters and their maligned pasts, but does this understanding and empathy only end there?

Speely

Banned
But a lot of the steps to alleviate concerns I see when it comes to those in power I see similarly in these street Nazi talks.

Like the ones in power, I don't think these street nazi's should be ignored. They are in these communities, they have families, friends, people who'll defend and excuse them because their presence has eased into their consciousness. Normalized.

Fighting should only be thought of if physically assaulted, or the assault is absolutely imminent. But in the meantime, I don't think these hateful people should be coddled, they should be actively challenged. That stuff should have no place in an inclusive community, 1st amendment or not.

And if that community would rather protect them, then people and businesses should be let known.

I agree. They should be opposed. Not coddled. Let me be frank: I fucking hate the kind of intolerance they espouse. I just think that stabbing folks in the streets does NOTHING to combat this mindset.

It's odd to me that so many equate people brawling with Nazis to doing something for anti-racism. Like, it's a given, right?

No. The elected officials and public servants who are racist pieces of shit are not affected by this at all. AT ALL.

Don't get drawn into the use of language in a way that directs your actions. You mentioned a similarity between elite players and the street toughs in language. Well sure. But why does that not translate into combating the greater threat (the elite) and instead default to the completely base-level? Let's direct our ire where it should be directed.

Good people don't have to be drawn into bad shit. You can just stay good people and still win. Once you cross line, you are legit hurting yourself more than you could ever hurt your enemy. A better use of the meaningful resources of smart folks is just being smart, and not being violent.

DaveMG

Banned
what a bunch of clowns

fQNHqh6.jpg

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

WOW i was against these guys till i realised they had cool cardboard shields

akira28

they're anti-communist neofascists who support hezbollah. and who have gears and pitchforks on their emblem and call themselves a worker's party. They are confused is what they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom