• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murdoch: Since when are Egyptians not white?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathos

Banned
I'd assume that they were mainly brown or black in skin tone. During the Ptolemaic dynasty, lighter skin tones (like the modern middle eastern) probably started to arise.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think it was actually a very poorly-planned attempt at diversity. Since the announcement, there was outcry about the lack of black and brown actors in the main cast. So, hoping to stave off further criticism, somebody high up probably insisted on hiring minorities for other roles.

No.

kind of got used to edgerton and bale now.

the most ridiculous is jon turturro and sigourney weaver in the background though. like holy shit that's too distracting.

Four-'species'-of--Egypt.jpg

Love this picture. It's so controversial that scholars invented an entire theory to explain how the "red" people were actually white people who slummed and fucked their color out with lowly blacks.

Well, it also relates to the speculation of Jesus being black right, as the jury is also out on the color of the jewish people in those times?

A lot of people are claiming that white artists drew, painted, wrote and sculptured Jesus white so white people would be closer to god. It goes without saying that regardless if your Jesus, Moses or Santa Claus, and these figures and characters are all encompassing in our culture that you would want some balance.

We need to make a new deity. Like the real human being from community. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H4KWz1qMSw

Mesousa

Banned
Egypt, as a premise for films, is so boring and tired anyways.

I remember when I first got interested in Africa how many brothers tried to spit the Egypt game and I never ever ever felt a connection to the place or people.

I'd much rather see a story about the Mali empire brought to the big screen.

EBE

i think its important to remember that as westerners we are more inheritors of the greek and roman tradition than we are of the traditions of the ancient near east. as such, there exists a great bias on our part to project western ideas of race and culture onto peoples for which those ideas may not hold.

basically we can blame shakespeare and his theatre company for making everyone in antiquity white and/or british

Valhelm

contribute something

Oh, I'm not at all defending it at all. But there was a lot of outcry before those parts were likely cast.

Egypt, as a premise for films, is so boring and tired anyways.

I remember when I first got interested in Africa how many brothers tried to spit the Egypt game and I never ever ever felt a connection to the place or people.

I'd much rather see a story about the Mali empire brought to the big screen.

That could be awesome! Most Americans are so ignorant about West Africa that a movie like that would be really important.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Oh, I'm not at all defending it at all. But there was a lot of outcry before those parts were likely cast.

It started when the first pictures of the movie and the casting of all the bad people being black was revealed.

And my point is that the more important issue here is how black people are portrayed in films and the type of roles black actors can get.

Nah. Gotta take this opportunity to interrupt your regularly scheduled broadcast on the continual belittlement of darker skinned people to bring you my unrelated shitting on religion.

Wiktor

And my point is that the more important issue here is how black people are portrayed in films and the type of roles black actors can get.

Yeah, but they were propably scared of the altenrative ..which is a movie about black ruler of a slave empire that gets destroyed by white messiah

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Crazy that the least whitewashed Hollywood blockbuster was made by its most famous racist. Apocalypto. Wish I could time travel and give him, Michael Jackson, and Cosby a stern talking to.

Why are people so concerned about the ethnicities of fictional characters? Do people not realise that the entire story of Exodus is categorically false?

Don't get me wrong, there is some pretty clear white washing here, but it strikes me as pretty pedantic that people would waive their fingers and go "no, no, no, this magical story about snakes and plagues and physics defying water is entirely out of touch with the reality that the people who didn't partake in these fictional events were quite possibly of a slightly darker skin tone, that won't do at all!"

SMH

Oh ok

masud

Banned
Why are people so concerned about the ethnicities of fictional characters? Do people not realise that the entire story of Exodus is categorically false?

Don't get me wrong, there is some pretty clear white washing here, but it strikes me as pretty pedantic that people would waive their fingers and go "no, no, no, this magical story about snakes and plagues and physics defying water is entirely out of touch with the reality that the people who didn't partake in these fictional events were quite possibly of a slightly darker skin tone, that won't do at all!"

SMH

Because the story is fictional but the time and place are not?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Greek statues were gaudy as fuck.

It's just weird and kind of annoying. Nearly every movie about Egypt casts Northern European actors as those parts, even though it would be very difficult to find anyone in Ancient Egypt who looked just like Christian Bale. There were probably people who looked sort of white in that society, but they certainly weren't the majority. Why are there no movies about Egypt in which all of the actors are Black? There were lots of very dark people in Egypt. That's no less inaccurate than an all-white cast.

It's also pretty creepy that most of the dark-skinned characters are relegated to the background:

exodus-gods-and-kings.jpeg

Were ancient Israelites really pale skinned Caucasian looking people like Christian Bale?
Shouldn't they look more like modern day Palestinians?

Valhelm

contribute something
It started when the first pictures of the movie and the casting of all the bad people being black was revealed.

Ah, okay.

Alexander the Great conquered Egypt and brought the whiteness of his Macedonian background (blonde hair, blue eyes) to Egypt.

Or so I've always been told.

source: http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/alexanderthegreat.htm

(He's also the one that founded Alexandria by the sea, the city Cleopatra called home.)

Maybe. Specific traits associated with Europe (like light eyes and light hair) might have been brought by the Greeks and later Romans, but most scholars think modern Egyptians are descended from people who evolved in Egypt.

DNA studies of mummies show them more closely related to modern Egyptians than to people in the Middle East or the Horn of Africa.

Loofy

Well the US Census up until 2000 considers north africa and the middle east to be 'white.'
"White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, English, Scottish, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish.[16]

neoanarch

i think its important to remember that as westerners we are more inheritors of the greek and roman tradition than we are of the traditions of the ancient near east. as such, there exists a great bias on our part to project western ideas of race and culture onto peoples for which those ideas may not hold.

basically we can blame shakespeare and his theatre company for making everyone in antiquity white and/or british
It's funny that western Europe considers itself the inheritors of Rome. When its far from the truth. Rome never really fell like we learn. Constantinople became the new capitol and there was an unbroken line up until the Ottomons took over and even then its not like its culture just went away. Western europes Roman traditions come from the Holy Roman Empire which had hardly any ties to the Roman Empire and just used them to gain legitimacy.

Crazy that the least whitewashed Hollywood blockbuster was made by its most famous racist. Apocalypto. Wish I could time travel and give him, Michael Jackson, and Cosby a stern talking to.

Oprah made Apoclypto?

That's a joke in case you didn't realize it.

SMH

I would say the problem is that, unlike the similarly whitewashed Noah (which is hardly itself immune from such criticism), it maintains at least vague trappings of historical fiction, what with being set with in a specific kingdom that actually, provably existed in documented history.

Valhelm

contribute something
Were ancient Israelites really pale skinned Caucasian looking people like Christian Bale?
Shouldn't they look more like modern day Palestinians?

They would have looked just like Palestinian people. Palestine is pretty diverse, though.

Chichikov

http://screenrant.com/exodus-gods-kings-race-controversy-ridley-scott/

Ridley Scott explains the whitewashing of the main cast:
You can usually understand and/or justify individual casting decisions, and that's the way the system perpetuate itself - it's never anyone's fault, the discrimination lives in the ether.
And while casting of black actors is not the biggest racial problem the world faces (though I don't think it's a trivial or unimportant one either) this is pretty indicative of the systematic and often subtle ways people of darker skin are being held down by society.

p.s.
"Mohammad such-and-such."
Yeah, no.

Jarate

Banned
The concept of what makes someone "white" means very different things to many different people

this is also ignoring the fact that Ancient Egypt was probably one of the most diverse countries most likely during ancient times (Egypt didnt care what your skin color was as long as you were Egyptian) Hell, "race" for the Egyptians was most likely viewed as just differentiating different skin tones rather then different cultures like we view race today, so it really doesnt matter whether the Egyptians were black or white.

In general, Northern Africa was and still is an incredibly diverse area filled with a huge amount of different ethnicites. Calling them white or black or arab, or asian, or anything is silly really.

Valtýr

One would think a prominent filmmaker like Ridley Scott would have the brass to cast who ever the fuck he wants in whatever movie he wants.

Valhelm

contribute something
Valtýr;140831320 said:
One would think a prominent filmmaker like Ridley Scott would have the brass to cast who ever the fuck he wants in whatever movie he wants.

Clearly he wanted to cast Northern European white people.

duckroll

At least Ridley Scott was honest as fuck about this shit. Other filmmakers wouldn't have been that straight forward.

I dunno about that. He also said this a few months ago...

“Egypt was – as it is now – a confluence of cultures, as a result of being a crossroads geographically between Africa, the Middle East and Europe,” Scott said. “We cast major actors from different ethnicities to reflect this diversity of culture, from Iranians to Spaniards to Arabs. There are many different theories about the ethnicity of the Egyptian people, and we had a lot of discussions about how to best represent the culture.”

:p

harSon

Banned

SMH

A lot of the Egyptians in the story are real historical figures though. Basically Exodus is an early example of the Alternate History genre.

Valtýr;140831320 said:

There are like four people in all of Hollywood that have that privilege. QT, PTA, Cameron, and Spielberg.

duckroll

Bullshit. There are a bunch of other filmmakers like QT and PTA. As long as you don't make expensive blockbusters and your films are profitable, you automatically have a much higher level of creative control. Listing those two next to Cameron and Spielberg is a joke.

If we really want to look at who actually can command full creative control, we need to look at directors who helm 200 million dollar films regularly. Even Spielberg doesn't do that. The only people who do are always at the mercy of the studio system. That's why Cameron only makes one movie every decade now. :p

harSon

Banned
Lol, what other director is going to be given $100 million to create a film with slave fighting and a black ex-slave bounty hunter killing white people?

harSon

Banned
Blazing Saddles was a satire made on a shoe string budget...

Edit: Honestly, I would have thrown M. Night Shyamalan into that conversation until a few years ago. Dude got to make whatever the fuck he wanted for 10+ years, regardless of how many duds he released.

duckroll

Blazing Saddles was a satire made on a shoe string budget...

Edit: Honestly, I would have thrown M. Night Shyamalan into that conversation until a few years ago. Dude got to make whatever the fuck he wanted for 10+ years, regardless of how many duds he released.

That's fair. It's a pretty cheap film, but it did make a ton of money! I think the idea that minorities as leads affect the box office in a huge way is nonsense anyway. It's just something producers are afraid of based on their own projection on the audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom