• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murdoch: Since when are Egyptians not white?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nev

Banned
There are plenty of representations in ancient Egypt that show differentiation between ethnicities, and that includes more than black people. The most common skin color in Egypt, as least judging by the vast majority of representations was redish, tanned skin. That doesn't mean there were not black people or all of them were slaves but it's also far from representations where everybody is black like that MJ video.

Saying all Egyptians were white like this man says is absurd, but so is saying that all of them were black, and I've read that quite a lot.

ramesses-ii-in-battle-ricardmn-photography.jpg

By the way, isn't Joel Edgerton Ramesses II? Well Ramesses II was a red haired white man.

Nah man, painting themselves as how they see each other doesn't mean they cared about skin colour, they are just painting themselves how they look like.

It wasn't just a matter of skin color in art, they had different names for the different ethnic groups they constructed.

DC R1D3R

Banned
If you want to see naturalistic representations of ancient Egyptians, look no further than the Fayum mummy portraits. These were made from 1 BCE till about 3BCE. They date from the early Roman period and show a wide variety of Egyptian men and women who really look no different from what modern day Egyptians look.

LOL
listen man you do realise that the greeks plagiarised all kemetian knowledge, art and history right?
you can' bring that shit here on GAF man i'll air ya out!

ignorance is blissful i see

Ridley Scott said:
“I can’t mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such. I’m just not going to get it financed. So the question doesn’t even come up.”

Ridley Scott threw the Spanish under the bus.

Measley

There are plenty of representations in ancient Egypt that show differentiation between ethnicities, and that includes more than black people. The most common skin color in Egypt, as least judging by the vast majority of representations was redish, tanned skin. That doesn't mean there were not black people or all of them were slaves but it's also far from representations where everybody is black like that MJ video.

Saying all Egyptians were white like this man says is absurd, but so is saying that all of them were black, and I've read that quite a lot.

By the way, isn't Joel Edgerton Ramesses II? Well Ramesses II was a red haired white man.

How was he white? Because he had red hair?

tumblr_n2yixmarhR1tsjrsko8_r1_500.jpg

She has red hair, but she isn't white.

Measley

They come in all shapes and sizes from what I have seen, some lighter than others, but to say Egyptians are white is stupid.

She is mixed race.

And she still isn't white. Get the Rock or Vin Diesel to play Rhamses and I got no prob;em.

krazen

They come in all shapes and sizes from what I have seen, some lighter than others, but to say Egyptians are white is stupid.

She is mixed race.

Which misses the point; different people fucking each other and having babies isn't a modern invention and a popular worldwide hub like Egypt which is literally the link between greater Africa and Europe...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The general consensus is that it was a constant biracial mix between Mediterranean cultures and Middle Eastern cultures until we met a gap where the Ptolemy Dynasty came in to power whereby a lot of the influential people in the hierarchy at the time were exclusively Greek. The further south you sailed down the Nile, the more you were to run in to settlements populated by Nubians. Modern Egypt is not far different from what Ancient Egypt used to be - dark hair and dark features on peoples of olive skin were the likely norm. If anything the Hellenistic period followed by the Roman (including Byzantine and Ottoman - which ended in 1923) era further cemented this.

I must admit that I found it highly amusing that they cast an Australian as Ramesses II. At least Yul Brynner looked the part.

The whole thing is a shame because we all know Ridley Scott could have done a kickass "director's cut" film about this event but the production politics stamped its authority way too hard. Murdoch needs to crawl underneath a heavy rock and die.

Nev

Banned
How was he white? Because he had red hair?

?

It's been known for years thanks to his mummy that he was a white man not only because of the red hair but also his facial traits. Look it up yourself, there are plenty of research done in this regard.

ramses-ii-l.jpg

Mesousa

Banned
?

It's been known for years thanks to his mummy that he was a white man not only because of the red hair but also his facial traits. Look it up yourself, there are plenty of research done in this regard.

ramses-ii-l.jpg

What facial traits do a white person have that an Abyssinian would not also have? Are Ethiopians and Somali white now too because of narrow noses?

Nev

Banned
What facial traits do a white person have that an Abyssinian would not also have? Are Ethiopians and Somali white now too because of narrow noses?

I'm not the one who made these researchs, if you want to disprove it go ahead and tell them, I couldn't care less if he was actually a black or a eskimo person, I'm just saying what I've read and studied.

DC R1D3R

Banned
all modern history was "whitewashed" in 1455. all art and history. once you know that, you now realise you've been bamboozled.

and look, facts are simply facts man.

it's unnatural for a man without pigmentation to hail or reside from a habitat of extreme UV rays from the sun.

sorry

There is the remote possibility he could have been a red haired Ethiopian but Occam's Razor would suggest not.

iamblades

Well red hair is caused by mutations on the Melanocortin 1 receptor, and mutations there are likely to cause fair skin, so it is probable(though not certain of course) that he was 'white'. It's why even among white people, redheads are whiter than average.

Of course just being 'white' doesn't mean he was 'caucasian' or european, which is how silly this whole skin color/race thing gets when you really dig down. We are all at most like 100 or 200 thousand years removed from the single common ancestor we all share.

Mesousa

Banned
Well red hair is caused by mutations on the Melanocortin 1 receptor, and mutations there are likely to cause fair skin, so it is probable(though not certain of course) that he was 'white'. It's why even among white people, redheads are whiter than average.

Of course just being 'white' doesn't mean he was 'caucasian' or european, which is how silly this whole skin color/race thing gets when you really dig down. We are all at most like 100 or 200 thousand years removed from the single common ancestor we all share.

Wasn't fair skin common in the Abyssinian region before Bantus and Oromos pushed in?

DC R1D3R

Banned
look what happened to all those "white" south africans who kicked out all the black people under the legislations of apartheid.

they claimed that the black people had no "right" to live there and that they did. but now look what happened. they all suffering from the deadly skin cancer that their bodies just weren't built for.

white people ain't from africa man. no where from over there at all.

it aint even called africa for fucks sake. that's just the name some roman africus or some name like that called it.

SMDH

know yourself people

PLEASE

dbztrk

It wasn't just a matter of skin color in art, they had different names for the different ethnic groups they constructed.

That "reddish" skin tone is brown aka black and that tan phenotype still exists in Africa. See Ethiopians, Eritreans etc.

tumblr_miogffKHZ61r801cpo1_500.gif

And then the movie will be flop because the general public isn't interested in Exodus The Movie without any big name stars. Face it, a cast with big stars like Christian Bale and Sigourney Weaver will draw more people to cinemas all over the world than than a cast with Arab actors who are complete unknowns in most of the world.

Moviemaking is a a business.
Was it necessary to cast all the black people in roles that involve servitude or villainy?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Caucasian doesn't mean "White European". Arabs, Iranians, tribes in northern India and Pakistan are Caucasians too.

dbztrk

?

ramses-ii-l.jpg

How about you show us the scientific studies that have deem him to be white. If you knew anything about biology you wouldn't be making those statements.

I await those studies on Ramses ancestry based on his mummy.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Well the Exodus story is part of the reason Ancient Egyptians are constantly portrayed as white people. If you start portraying Egyptians with darker skin and more African features, you start bringing up the question of how Moses could fit in with them (the royal family no less) if he looked like a European. The only way that works is if he actually has darker skin and African features himself.

And then all hell breaks loose.....

so true.....and isn't it funny how the western media want to portray white people as egyptian and not neanderthal?

all europeans have traces of neanderthal dna. black people don't.

these are facts and simply the truth.

so how the fuck can modern day white man trace his roots back to nubia?

SMGDFH

iamblades

Wasn't fair skin common in the Abyssinian region before Bantus and Oromos pushed in?

Don't know enough to say, I do know that they have one of the most diverse gene pools of anywhere on the planet.

Caucasian doesn't mean "White European". Arabs, Iranians, tribes in northern India and Pakistan are Caucasians too.

I know this, which is why I was making that distinction.

They are ultimately all arbitrary distinctions when it comes down to it.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Was it necessary to cast all the black people in roles that involve servitude or villainy?

I think that picture cherry picked black actors from a cast with more than 60 actors to make a political point. Why not point to Emmanuel Akintunde who plays the role of Moses' general? Or Joshua Johnson playing a young priest?

DC R1D3R

Banned

you are wrong.

white europeans are called caucasians because they hail from the the caucus mountains region and habitat.

the european "fatherland".

kruis

The term was created by Johann Blumenbach and it means the white race.

Even in Blumenbach's definition of the Caucasian race, this group included more people than just white Europeans.

From Wikipedia:
the Caucasian or white race
the Mongolian or yellow race, including all East Asians and some Central Asians.
the Malayan or brown race, including Southeast Asian and Pacific Islanders.
the Ethiopian or black race, including sub-Saharan Africans.
the American or red race, including American Indians.

So according to Blumenbach Aremenians, Berbers, Arabs,Iranians, Afghans, (North) Indians, etc belong to the white race.

Just another Hollywood whitewashing because white audiences don't want to watch a bunch of brown and black people on screen unless they are background ornaments. They already rewrote history so that Micheal J Fox invented rock and roll, now they also have taken ancient Egypt because we surely can't let the blacks and browns have anything.

Richard Pryor had it right.

DC R1D3R

Banned
if the white man came from kemet. why did the greek scholars take out 20 year apprenticeships from the kemetians, just to learn their religion.

the white man has no clue what the sphinx is. or why the the great pyramid is aligned to the constellation of orion (slightly offset to the left).

no fucking clue

@ grandwizard

the book of life reveals all!

Nev

Banned
How about you show us the scientific studies that have deem him to be white. If you knew anything about biology you wouldn't be making those statements.

I await those studies on Ramses ancestry based on his mummy.

From what I remember (I studied it long ago) it wasn't just the hair but the combination of things like orthognathic facial structure, aquiline nose, red hair, thin lips and high cheekbones that determined that he quite possibly was "white". Maybe I used the wrong word, I consider caucasian people to be white in general, not only those with actual pale white skin, and that includes people from north Africa, Middle Eastern and more. About the specific studies, I recall one done in France in the 80s or something, I read more but I can't recall.

Anyways as I said I couldn't care less what "race" he was, I'm not on a crusade to prove anything, if these studies and I are wrong and he was a black person I'll happily accept it. I don't believe in races and I think it's an abomination of a concept that is and will forever be harmful for humanity and brings nothing positive at all. The sooner we stop giving importance to the fucking color of the skin or the facial traits the better we'll live, but unfortunately that seems to be an utopia and is for another topic anyways.

I'm full black and when I was younger my hair was essentially red (a really rustic auburn)

Kinyou

if the white man came from kemet. why did the greek scholars take out 20 year apprenticeships from the kemetians, just to learn their religion.

the white man has no clue what the sphinx is. or why the the great pyramid is aligned to the constellation of orion (slightly offset to the left).

no fucking clue

@ grandwizard

the book of life reveals all!
And black Americans do?

wildfire

Banned
Well the US Census up until 2000 considers north africa and the middle east to be 'white.'

Well this makes Murdoch's first comment forgivable. I never thought that type of perception of Arab/Persians being white could be that entrenched considering how they are harped on for their history, customs, their overall physical features, etc.

As for his second comment posted in the OP he is still acting like a dumbass.

, but everyone assumes that in ancient times black people = slaves. It's a movie not a college paper.

Hmmm.

Do you just read one race related topic a year? Even a lot racists like to use the "everyone was slaves" argument when it is convenient.

DC R1D3R

Banned
And black Americans do?

what black americans from the slave trade?

most black americans believe that their god god has long brown hair and piercing blue eyes. so no!

unfortunately.

the book of life reveals everything. for black and people of all skin tones. but black people especially. because that's who it was made for!!!

genjiZERO

Well Macedonians were Slavic, not ethnic Greeks.

Still the majority probably wouldn't have been 'blond haired and blue eyed' at that time, but perhaps it wouldn't have been terribly unlikely for that to be present in some decent percentage of the population back then, even if it is less common today.

There are Ethnic groups in northern Pakistan called the Kalash and Burusho people who claim they are descendants of Alexander's army, and blond hair and blue eyes are fairly common in those groups. Modern genetic testing hasn't shown a substantial genetic link to modern Greeks, but it could be that the modern Greek population is the one that changed. It is certainly a more heavily traveled part of the world than the remote mountains of Pakistan.

More realistically, I would think those European looking populations in the mountains of Pakistan are what is left of the first indo-europeans to make their way from India to Europe. Basically the first 'white' people, before the proto-indo-europeans that eventually became the hittites and greeks and the corded ware cultures.

Edit:

Contemporary evidence suggests that the group of people who currently live in the country called Macedonia are not actually ethnic Slavs themselves, but obtained a Slavic cultural and linguistic identity through assimilation with Bulgaria starting in the Dark Ages. Furthermore, it should be pointed out that the Macedonia of Antiquity - or at least the Kingdom of Philip - actually corresponds to the modern region of north-east Greece, and not to the country called Macedonia. Now, there is debate on whether the Macedonians of Antiquity were in fact Greek (although since Antiquity they were accepted as Greek), but, in my years of reading on the subject, I've never read that they were ethnic Slavs. Now, if you have scholarly sources that suggest they were I'm happy to read them.

Kinyou

what black americans from the slave trade?

most black americans believe that their god god has long brown hair and piercing blue eyes. so no!

unfortunately.

the book of life reveals everything. for black and people of all skin tones. but black people especially. because that's who it was made for!!!
All right. I just find it weird to ascribe knowledge or ignorance to race.

Its 2014 and we still have Egyptians being portrayed as white. Lmao @ everyone that's black being a thief or lower class.

Fuck this film. Thoroughly disappointed in Ridley Scott for this shit

Jarate

Banned
Guys, once again, its silly to assign race to Egyptians because of how massively diverse the Egyptian people were. If you want to talk about the Native Egyptians, then you might have an argument for assigning a specific race, but Egypt was by far one of the most diverse centers in the ancient world. Hell, the Egyptians did not care what skin color you had but whether you gave allegiance to Egypt. There were most likely white Pharoahs, there were most likely black Pharoahs, there were most likely arab Pharoahs, there were most likely every Pharoah possible.

TL;DR Egypt was culturally diverse due to being a huge economic sector in the Ancient World which featured people from all over the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom