• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murdoch: Since when are Egyptians not white?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Guys, once again, its silly to assign race to Egyptians because of how massively diverse the Egyptian people were. If you want to talk about the Native Egyptians, then you might have an argument for assigning a specific race, but Egypt was by far one of the most diverse centers in the ancient world. Hell, the Egyptians did not care what skin color you had but whether you gave allegiance to Egypt. There were most likely white Pharoahs, there were most likely black Pharoahs, there were most likely arab Pharoahs, there were most likely every Pharoah possible.

TL;DR Egypt was culturally diverse due to being a huge economic sector in the Ancient World which featured people from all over the world.
That are what folks are saying, it just so happens every time there is a movie about ancient Egypt all the people in charge seems to be white. Folks are just asking for diversity for accuracy

Jarate

Banned
The bible is made up anyway, as far as I'm concerned he can believe whatever he wants.

The Old Testament, and the Old Jewish texts were definately romanticized, but they were generally based off of pre-existing history.

Someone earlier in the thread called it Historical Fiction. Similar to how the Illiad worked.

Moses most likely existed and most likely did something important, but his magic powers were made up by David and heroics were made up by David. The other people most likely existed too

That are what folks are saying, it just so happens every time there is a movie about ancient Egypt all the people in charge seems to be white. Folks are just asking for diversity for accuracy

Im not disagreeing woth this statement either, I would love to see a culturally diverse Egyptian movie. There was an argument though about specific race in Ancient Egypt, and im just bringing historical context to that specific debate so it can end and we can focus on whitewashing in Hollywood

DC R1D3R

Banned
Guys, once again, its silly to assign race to Egyptians because of how massively diverse the Egyptian people were. If you want to talk about the Native Egyptians, then you might have an argument for assigning a specific race, but Egypt was by far one of the most diverse centers in the ancient world. Hell, the Egyptians did not care what skin color you had but whether you gave allegiance to Egypt. There were most likely white Pharoahs, there were most likely black Pharoahs, there were most likely arab Pharoahs, there were most likely every Pharoah possible.

TL;DR Egypt was culturally diverse due to being a huge economic sector in the Ancient World which featured people from all over the world.

in order for there to have been white pharaohs though, the white people had to come from gold stock!!

white european people don't come from any high value gold at all. no gem stones or any trading stock of significance or wealth.

what? rhubarb, copper, mushrooms and thistles?

nope!

the world was run on gold so only africa, india and china would apply in this scenario.

you had to have a big backyard of gold to be considered a king.

@kinyou

knowledge doesn't ascribe to ignorance or race per-say, but when that same knowledge has been tortured, castrated and beaten out of you and your people for no other reason than your skin tone, there are consequences.....

Why are people so concerned about the ethnicities of fictional characters? Do people not realise that the entire story of Exodus is categorically false?

Don't get me wrong, there is some pretty clear white washing here, but it strikes me as pretty pedantic that people would waive their fingers and go "no, no, no, this magical story about snakes and plagues and physics defying water is entirely out of touch with the reality that the people who didn't partake in these fictional events were quite possibly of a slightly darker skin tone, that won't do at all!"

SMH
well its a big deal to people who aren't white I guess. It just shows the inherit racism in hollywood, the fact that you don't see a problem is a perfect example of the effects that its had. Main characters are almost ALWAYS white. Shining white night in the see of brown pepole.

Jarate

Banned
in order for there to have been white pharaohs though, the white people had to come from gold stock!!

white european people don't come from any high value gold at all. no gem stones or any trading stock of significance or wealth.

what? rhubarb, copper, mushrooms and thistles?

nope!

the world was run on gold so only africa, india and china would apply in this scenario.

you had to have a big backyard of gold to be considered a king.

What?

There were plenty of ways to make ludicrous sums of money in Ancient Egypt that had nothing to do with Gold. And even then, one does not need to start out with gold to trade for it. It could be a service, diplomatic ties, providing knowledge, trade of goods, and an incredible sort of different things. Hell, you could just be a charismatic priest/priestess and make boatloads of money and consolidate your power.

This is also ignoring there was a shit ton of silver in Greece, and other European parts.

Four-'species'-of--Egypt.jpg

They are precious in His sight.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The general consensus is that it was a constant biracial mix between Mediterranean cultures and Middle Eastern cultures until we met a gap where the Ptolemy Dynasty came in to power whereby a lot of the influential people in the hierarchy at the time were exclusively Greek. The further south you sailed down the Nile, the more you were to run in to settlements populated by Nubians. Modern Egypt is not far different from what Ancient Egypt used to be - dark hair and dark features on peoples of olive skin were the likely norm. If anything the Hellenistic period followed by the Roman (including Byzantine and Ottoman - which ended in 1923) era further cemented this.

I found this in the Wikipedia article on Egyptian president Anwar Sadat:

Anwar Sadat was born on 25 December 1918 in Mit Abu al-Kum, al-Minufiyah, Egypt to a poor family, one of 13 brothers and sisters. One of his brothers, Atef Sadat, later became a pilot and was killed in action during the October War of 1973. His father, Anwar Mohammed El Sadat was an Upper Egyptian, and his mother, Sit Al-Berain, was a Sudanese from her grandmother. Thus, he faced insults by his opponents in Egypt for not looking "Egyptian enough" and "Nasser's black poodle."

DC R1D3R

Banned
What?

There were plenty of ways to make ludicrous sums of money in Ancient Egypt that had nothing to do with Gold. And even then, one does not need to start out with gold to trade for it. It could be a service, diplomatic ties, providing knowledge, trade of goods, and an incredible sort of different things. Hell, you could just be a charismatic priest/priestess and make boatloads of money and consolidate your power.

This is also ignoring there was a shit ton of silver in Greece, and other European parts.

white men aint got nothing to do with kemet bro.

believe that!

Blazing Saddles was a satire made on a shoe string budget...

Edit: Honestly, I would have thrown M. Night Shyamalan into that conversation until a few years ago. Dude got to make whatever the fuck he wanted for 10+ years, regardless of how many duds he released.

Were they duds, though? Critical failures, but I think they always made big money, somehow.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i think if we can all agree on one thing it's that no matter how the rulers of egypt looked, they certainly wouldn't have been as blindingly pale as sigourney weaver, christian bale, or joel edgerton

genjiZERO

The Old Testament, and the Old Jewish texts were definately romanticized, but they were generally based off of pre-existing history.

Someone earlier in the thread called it Historical Fiction. Similar to how the Illiad worked.

Moses most likely existed and most likely did something important, but his magic powers were made up by David and heroics were made up by David. The other people most likely existed too

That's not the impression I get reading on the subject. It's been years since I've read about it, but as I recall, there are no records of the Egyptians enslaving the Jews nor of a mass migration of former slaves from the region. This makes Exodus suspect because in this period of Egyptian history, Egyptians were known for keeping immaculate records of things.

So what does this mean?

Well, as background, it is well-known that Levantine peoples had been regularly migrating throughout the area for centuries. My personal opinion is that Exodus is a relic of a pre-Hebrew migration of possibly Levantine peoples from Egypt to modern day Israel/Palestine where they merged with a separate existing population. Once coalesced, and after the formalization of Judaism, these migrants identities as Jewish were retconed.

Valhelm

contribute something

I agree.

I feel like there would be more outcry about an all-black Egyptian movie than an all-white Egyptian movie. That's fucked up.

Jarate

Banned
That's not the impression I get reading on the subject. It's been years since I've read about it, but as I recall, there are no records of the Egyptians enslaving the Jews nor of a mass migration of former slaves from the region. This makes Exodus suspect because in this period of Egyptian history, Egyptians were known for keeping immaculate records of things.

So what does this mean?

Well, as background, it is well-known that Levantine peoples had been regularly migrating throughout the area for centuries. My personal opinion is that Exodus is a relic of a pre-Hebrew migration of possibly Levantine peoples from Egypt to modern day Israel/Palestine where they merged with a separate existing population. Once coalesced, and after the formalization of Judaism, these migrants identities as Jewish were retconed.

Oh most definitely, there were not Jewish slaves in Egypt, and even if they were , they would be tiny in number. That entire idea was made up by David.

Im just saying that the "characters" were most likely real, just the events weren't. Moses probably existed, just not under that capacity

genjiZERO

Oh most definitely, there were not Jewish slaves in Egypt, and even if they were , they would be tiny in number. That entire idea was made up by David.

Im just saying that the "characters" were most likely real, just the events weren't. Moses probably existed, just not under that capacity

That's fair

TCRS

Banned
been klicking through wiki thanks to this thread. ancient egypt is so fascinating. need to visit egypt one day.

Valhelm

contribute something
Do people not realize Egypt us in Africa? Egyptians are literally by definition black.

That's pretty ignorant. A shitton of Egyptian people are black, but a shitton are not. Africa might be the most diverse continent in the world, in culture and demographics. Some of my relatives are of Moroccan descent, and they all identify as (and look) white. The difference between Tunisia and Kenya is about as big as the difference between Poland and China.

That's pretty ignorant. A shitton of Egyptian people are black, but a shitton are not. Africa might be the most diverse continent in the world, in culture and demographics. Some of my relatives are of Moroccan descent, and they all identify as (and look) white. The difference between Tunisia and Kenya is about as big as the difference between Poland and China.

A shitton, of course, being a biblical unit of measurement denoting '22 and 3' people.

DC R1D3R

Banned

yes, but they didn't originate from africa.

just like if isreal.

Slayven

I agree.

I feel like there would be more outcry about an all-black Egyptian movie than an all-white Egyptian movie. That's fucked up.

Oh they would mad ass hell. That is why I can't wait until the Black Panther movie, an African country being the second most advanced in the world? They tweets will be glorious.

DOWN

Banned
Cleopatra's family was Greek, right? But they weren't representative of the ethnicities found in Egypt.

genjiZERO

Cleopatra's family was Greek, right? But they weren't representative of the ethnicities found in Egypt.

Cleopatra was of mixed Greek and Persian lineages. Some like to speculate that she had Egyptian in her too. It's not unlikely, but there is no historical evidence to support the claim. What is known however, it that the Ptolemaic Dynasty practiced incest and refused to assimilate.

However, the Ptolemy were not simply a foreign ruling class. There were considerable numbers of Greeks living in Egypt at the time. For example, those Fayum masks were painted by Greek painters (however, the are paintings of different groups of people). But what should be noted is that it's unlikely that they were so numerous that they were able to dramatically change the ethnic composition of region - from the little I've read on it it seems that the modern population of Egypt is genetically the same as the ancient population.

Metallix87

what black americans from the slave trade?

most black americans believe that their god god has long brown hair and piercing blue eyes. so no!

unfortunately.

the book of life reveals everything. for black and people of all skin tones. but black people especially. because that's who it was made for!!!

WTF are you going on about?

It's also pretty creepy that most of the dark-skinned characters are relegated to the background:

exodus-gods-and-kings.jpeg
This. It would be one thing if ALL the actors were white, ala Charlton Heston movies. But it's pretty fucking disgusting that all the background characters and the evil characters are darker skinned while the good Jewish people are white. Fuck this movie.

Durask

time to blow his mind and tell him Yul Brynner was Russian

Never mind, he was of mixed Swiss / Russian / whatever

His father, Boris Yuliyevich Briner, was a mining engineer whose father, Jules Briner, was a Swiss citizen who moved to Vladivostok in the 1870s and established a successful import/export company.[7] Brynner's paternal grandmother, Natalya Yosifovna Kurkutova, was a native of Irkutsk and a Eurasian of part Buryat ancestry.

White? What is white anyways? So many definitions

In northern Europe meaning is: All northern europeans are white, most central europeans, minority of southern europeans. Everyone else is not white, unless the person has european ancestry and looks white/northern european.

America: All of europe, north africa and middle east are white?

G.ZZZ

Majority of northern africans are caucasians, and eastern africans looks more white than the typical african american because of the different descent. Egiptians aren't "black" or "white", they are mediterranean with various influences from different places, exactly as they are now. They're like Southern europeans, more tanned on average, and with more curly hairs. But i guess for a nation of immigrants it may not seems as obvious that people look similar to their neighbours.

The worst part about the film is the racial profiling in the roles (like really? at least older films had only whites, this is way worse imho) and the fact that Scott didn't even bother to tell his actors to get a tan.

This. It would be one thing if ALL the actors were white, ala Charlton Heston movies. But it's pretty fucking disgusting that all the background characters and the evil characters are darker skinned while the good Jewish people are white. Fuck this movie.
Depending on the severity of this, I might actually just not bother with Blade Runner 2 or Prometheus 2, either. There's no sense in supporting a director/writer who should know better-and has done better-in the past.

Typecasting and stereotyping isn't the diversity people are ok with.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Looking at the cast that's not true. There's a black actor playing Moses' general for instance. The actors in this movie come from all over the place. There are British, American, Persian, Spanish, Indian, Turkish and Arab actors in the movie. It's clear that Egypt is portrayed as a multi cultural country. It's economics that makes it necessary to cast famous (white) actors in these roles. People want to see a biblical movie starring Christian Bale and Sigourney Weaver, not Ayoub El Hilali and Golshifteh Farahani.

danwarb

Surely all of his tweets are attacked? It's Rupert Murdoch.

Moses being a fictional character, is whatever colour you want him to be.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Cleopatra was of mixed Greek and Persian lineages. Some like to speculate that she had Egyptian in her too. It's not unlikely, but there is no historical evidence to support the claim. What is known however, it that the Ptolemaic Dynasty practiced incest and refused to assimilate.

However, the Ptolemy were not simply a foreign ruling class. There were considerable numbers of Greeks living in Egypt at the time. For example, those Fayum masks were painted by Greek painters (however, the are paintings of different groups of people). But what should be noted is that it's unlikely that they were so numerous that they were able to dramatically change the ethnic composition of region - from the little I've read on it it seems that the modern population of Egypt is genetically the same as the ancient population.

The Greeks were a dominant civilization in the Ancient Era, their language was the lingua franca of the day, but still they weren't able to oust Egyptian culture. Coptic, the liturgical language of the Christian Copts is the direct descendant of Ancient Egyptian, the language spoken by the Pharaohs four thousand years ago. It's now a dead language but it was spoken in Egypt as late as the 17th century.

what black americans from the slave trade?

most black americans believe that their god god has long brown hair and piercing blue eyes. so no!

unfortunately.

the book of life reveals everything. for black and people of all skin tones. but black people especially. because that's who it was made for!!!
Yeah, no. I can't speak for anywhere that I haven't lived but in the south, Florida and mid-Atlantic, Christian blacks I know didn't and don't think that. Now, they may have art work that looks like that but they're just as likely to have "Afro" Jesus too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom