• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music Makers |OT| Where words fail, music speaks.

Mandelbo

Having a weird issue with Cubase. I'm exporting audio from my project and reinserting into the same project. However, when imported back it appears as double the length and half the speed, as if it had been pitch shifted down. The actual exported audio is fine, sounds completely normal outside of the editor, and I've tried importing into a fresh project to no avail. The media pool appears to have incorrect information for the imported audio, showing incorrect tempo and time signature information, so I suspect this might be where the issue lies. Has anybody run into this before or have any idea of what a solution to it might be?

rObit

Banned
Maan, what a good collab! Good job.

Thanks man. :)

I was interviewed and featured for my music in the 604now o_____o

Crazy stuff! :')!! :O!
http://604now.com/2015/06/01/get-acquainted-with-a-recording-artist-stephen-scaccia/

Super happy for you dude. Keep gettin' that recognition! :D

nice! didn't know this thread existed.

here's the most recent thing i've made, a piano 4-hand arrangement of michael jackson's human nature:
https://soundcloud.com/justin-aftab/michael-jackson-human-nature-piano-4-hands-arr

also got some tracks for various indie games i've scored on there.

Damn that sounds good. Well done!

Having a weird issue with Cubase. I'm exporting audio from my project and reinserting into the same project. However, when imported back it appears as double the length and half the speed, as if it had been pitch shifted down. The actual exported audio is fine, sounds completely normal outside of the editor, and I've tried importing into a fresh project to no avail. The media pool appears to have incorrect information for the imported audio, showing incorrect tempo and time signature information, so I suspect this might be where the issue lies. Has anybody run into this before or have any idea of what a solution to it might be?

I've never used Cubase, but I've had similar issues with the playback speed. If I remember right it was being caused by importing an audio file that has a different sample rate than the project. Is it possible that you exported the audio at a different sample rate than what your Cubase project is running in? Ableton also has this annoying thing where it tries to automatically tempo-map an audio file when you import it, even if it's already at the correct tempo. I have to go in and turn off "Warp" on the audio file. Perhaps it is possible that Cubase has a similar feature?

Mandelbo

I've never used Cubase, but I've had similar issues with the playback speed. If I remember right it was being caused by importing an audio file that has a different sample rate than the project. Is it possible that you exported the audio at a different sample rate than what your Cubase project is running in? Ableton also has this annoying thing where it tries to automatically tempo-map an audio file when you import it, even if it's already at the correct tempo. I have to go in and turn off "Warp" on the audio file. Perhaps it is possible that Cubase has a similar feature?

Thanks! The project sample rate and my export rate didn't match - everything's fine now that they do!

rObit

Banned
thanks for listening. checked out some of your ep...good shit, i liked evergreen especially. are you the guitarist? also dope album cover.

Thanks for checking it out! It's actually a one-man production. I played the guitars, which are the only live instruments, and programmed everything else and mixed it.

Thanks! The project sample rate and my export rate didn't match - everything's fine now that they do!

Ah good, glad that was it! :)

Mandelbo

love the little detunings you do here and there after 1:30-ish, listened to the track three times in a row haha. really great stuff.

Thanks, I'm really glad you enjoyed it :D

Over the holidays I'm going to try and make a few more full songs and maybe release them on bandcamp or something. Should be a fun little project to occupy myself with!

NotLiquid

So uh, this isn't really necessarily "new" stuff from me but it's an exciting deal for me nonetheless. I'm now on Spotify. Currently the music I've been posting in this thread is all available for listen and while I haven't made my back catalog available I intend to do so when I finish my next major release.

https://play.spotify.com/artist/3qvZl9SDq6x4iCqQ1bBPHD

I'm hoping it becomes easier to share this way with people and letting them enjoy the music. I've also gotten the music on iTunes but I still consider Bandcamp my main means of distributing music.

rObit

Banned
Wow, I haven't seen this thread this dead yet. Where's the music at?!

I'm in a rut at the moment. Trying to figure out what I want to do next. I learned a lot from making my EP. The stuff I write needs vocals to go with it; without them it just feels empty and kind of boring. So I have a few options:
1. Find a vocalist (not likely)
2. Try to force myself to write music differently, which might work
3. Quit making rock / metal and try a different genre, which might also work, but would kinda hurt to call it quits on something that I've sunk years into.

Kind of at a shitty crossroad :/

Edit - or I could stop being whiny and just work harder. Think I'm gonna go with that via option 2.

I dig this a lot! Keep it up, loved this and the last one you posted here :)

Xun

I'm in a rut at the moment. Trying to figure out what I want to do next. I learned a lot from making my EP. The stuff I write needs vocals to go with it; without them it just feels empty and kind of boring. So I have a few options:
1. Find a vocalist (not likely)
2. Try to force myself to write music differently, which might work
3. Quit making rock / metal and try a different genre, which might also work, but would kinda hurt to call it quits on something that I've sunk years into.

Kind of at a shitty crossroad :/

Edit - or I could stop being whiny and just work harder. Think I'm gonna go with that via option 2.

I dig this a lot! Keep it up, loved this and the last one you posted here :)
Perhaps go to local open mic nights?

You may eventually find someone.

rObit

Banned
Perhaps go to local open mic nights?

You may eventually find someone.

Not really an option at the moment for me. Too far to travel to the nearest town that might even have one. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll be moving in the fall to go to a university that does have a decently sized music program, so there will be a lot more opportunity for me to meet musicians there.

I think I just needed to sleep on it and then come back and look at my whiny, bitchy post. Already started work on a new track.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

This is really cool! Good work here.

So uh, this isn't really necessarily "new" stuff from me but it's an exciting deal for me nonetheless. I'm now on Spotify. Currently the music I've been posting in this thread is all available for listen and while I haven't made my back catalog available I intend to do so when I finish my next major release.

https://play.spotify.com/artist/3qvZl9SDq6x4iCqQ1bBPHD

I'm hoping it becomes easier to share this way with people and letting them enjoy the music. I've also gotten the music on iTunes but I still consider Bandcamp my main means of distributing music.

If I didn't already buy it, I would be happy I could listen on Spotify. I may still.

Dope! Sounds like something off of a James bond/Perfect dark video game.

RP912

Banned
This is really cool! Good work here.

If I didn't already buy it, I would be happy I could listen on Spotify. I may still.

Dope! Sounds like something off of a James bond/Perfect dark video game.

appreciate it :)...

My wife suggest that my beats sound like video game music. Trying to find that developer to make good use of my material lol.

samoset

Hi Music Maker Gaf!

I am very happy that there is a more open music thread on Gaf. I just recently graduated with my bachelor's of music in composition. Here are two pieces of mine:

Fanfare Giocoso
https://soundcloud.com/taylor-whatley-1/fanfare-giocoso

Mirrors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGdQNcTBJx8

I am a very hardcore "classical" music guy and have spent most of my undergraduate moving away from writing in a neoclassical style. I have spent some time looking through many of the tracks on this thread and they are all so great and well produced. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for getting started in more electronic music. I've had some experience with pro tools, but don't own any specific program beyond Sibelius.

I really like this.

Also, I made attempts at making music using Korg Kaossilator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sopzOGjLgo

I been learning the piano for the past few months and never thought that making beats would be something that I want to do, but I've been enjoying the heck out of the Kaossilator. I'm trying to get into DAWs and downloaded an Ableton trial. Though I definitely find actual instruments more fun to tinker with. Maybe a midi keyboard or a launch pad would change that though.

rObit

Banned

So....I've been listening to this quite a bit. Like a couple times a day. It's really good!

I really like this.

Also, I made attempts at making music using Korg Kaossilator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sopzOGjLgo

I been learning the piano for the past few months and never thought that making beats would be something that I want to do, but I've been enjoying the heck out of the Kaossilator. I'm trying to get into DAWs and downloaded an Ableton trial. Though I definitely find actual instruments more fun to tinker with. Maybe a midi keyboard or a launch pad would change that though.

Cool stuff! Yeah if you like doing live mix stuff like you were in that video you'd probably have fun with a launchpad or something similar. I recently got a Guitar Wing, which is basically a launchpad that clips on your guitar. I haven't really used it for much yet, but it's fun to dink around with.

z92wApP.jpg

Dudes, I don't know what happened but I actually managed to hit 100 downloads on a track on soundcloud for my first time ever. Not only that but it's actually looking like I'll hit 1000 plays somewhere in the next 5 days, which will also be a first. I have no clue how it happened since I put as much effort into marketing/sharing it as I do all of my other tracks which is none, but it did. I'm kind of happy, I mean, I know it doesn't mean shit when you put it into perspective but it's still kind of cool. Massive block on actually uploading new stuff now though because it feels like it'll all be downhill from here and I probably just got lucky. I'm probably letting this get to my head :(

Anyways, here's another track I've been thinking of putting up for a year or so, filedata says I rendered this on the 25th of June 2014 and it's lived in a folder on my harddrive since then. I've decided to upload it because I lost the acapella and most of the samples so half of the project doesn't load properly on my new computer so I figured I should just get it out there. But at the same time I don't think it's at that 100 downloads level of quality so I'm keeping it private. Would appreciate feedback though, I guess, since you're the first people to hear it that aren't my mom and my girlfriend /D.

Xrenity

https://soundcloud.com/airtime-music-nl/airtime-nicos-advice

Made a track based on an interview personal hero Nicolas Jaar once gave. Think it turned out as a fun little track.

Dudes, I don't know what happened but I actually managed to hit 100 downloads on a track on soundcloud for my first time ever. Not only that but it's actually looking like I'll hit 1000 plays somewhere in the next 5 days, which will also be a first. I have no clue how it happened since I put as much effort into marketing/sharing it as I do all of my other tracks which is none, but it did. I'm kind of happy, I mean, I know it doesn't mean shit when you put it into perspective but it's still kind of cool. Massive block on actually uploading new stuff now though because it feels like it'll all be downhill from here and I probably just got lucky. I'm probably letting this get to my head :(
Be happy you're getting plays! One of our songs was featured on a popular blog here once, that song also got to the 100 downloads and had about 5500 plays. The next ones did shit compared to that, but less shit than before this whole thing. Just see this as a sign you're getting better at what you're trying to accomplish!

NotLiquid

The atmosphere of this track is really engrossing and enveloping. I'm loving just how heavy the texture is and the beats are just the perfect amounts of heavy. Really cool!

I love the way this track builds to a kind of epic crescendo while still maintaining the entire subtle, low-frequency driven touches that drive the beats and melodies of the track. Very well put together.

Hi Music Maker Gaf!

I am very happy that there is a more open music thread on Gaf. I just recently graduated with my bachelor's of music in composition. Here are two pieces of mine:

Fanfare Giocoso
https://soundcloud.com/taylor-whatley-1/fanfare-giocoso

Mirrors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGdQNcTBJx8

I am a very hardcore "classical" music guy and have spent most of my undergraduate moving away from writing in a neoclassical style. I have spent some time looking through many of the tracks on this thread and they are all so great and well produced. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for getting started in more electronic music. I've had some experience with pro tools, but don't own any specific program beyond Sibelius.

Man, being able to put together pieces like these is one of the things I can't help but envy. This is so awesome.

As for getting started with electronic music, beginners-wise it's always easy to mess around with various VSTs (and a DAW that would support them). Something like FL Studio comes with quite a few versatile tools right out of the box such as Sytrus and 3xOsc. I'm not fully versed in some equally popular DAWs like Reason and Ableton but they're both generally top of the line as well. I suggest finding a versatile workstation that you can try out and get comfortable with, maybe some free instruments, experiment and then look for top of the line stuff that has the big guns when you're ready to sink your teeth in.

Most fun part about doing electronic music in my opinion is just how much you can learn and get done just by experimenting and how it's fairly simple to do so. There's a lot of tutorials you can find online (I found myself at times watching videos by Savant and Seamless in order to learn how to do "heavy" stuff) but I try not to actually let myself become reliant on them since you run the risk of being too derivative as a result. It's always best to carve out your own path and focus on making things sound good through your own means.

samoset

Man, being able to put together pieces like these is one of the things I can't help but envy. This is so awesome.

As for getting started with electronic music, beginners-wise it's always easy to mess around with various VSTs (and a DAW that would support them). Something like FL Studio comes with quite a few versatile tools right out of the box such as Sytrus and 3xOsc. I'm not fully versed in some equally popular DAWs like Reason and Ableton but they're both generally top of the line as well. I suggest finding a versatile workstation that you can try out and get comfortable with, maybe some free instruments, experiment and then look for top of the line stuff that has the big guns when you're ready to sink your teeth in.

Most fun part about doing electronic music in my opinion is just how much you can learn and get done just by experimenting and how it's fairly simple to do so. There's a lot of tutorials you can find online (I found myself at times watching videos by Savant and Seamless in order to learn how to do "heavy" stuff) but I try not to actually let myself become reliant on them since you run the risk of being too derivative as a result. It's always best to carve out your own path and focus on making things sound good through your own means.

Thanks for the feedback! Writing concert music truly is my biggest passion, but unfortunately the market and concert environment is very tough to break into at any level, and there just doesn't seem to be a large audience nowadays even with niche genres the internet has allowed to flourish.

I think I'll take your advice and find a entry level DAW, which I can work around and experiment with to see if electronic music is right for me. I just remember my protools experience being needlessly complex, with the instructor having me take detailed notes at every step in the process on the most inane things. That experience probably has me approaching this too cautiously, so I'll just stop with that now haha.

Top Bottom