• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Must see foreign films

By foreign I mean non English. What are some of your favorite foreign films. Off the top of my head some of mine are:

Amelie
Oldboy
City of God
Seven Samurai
Spirited Away
Battle Royale

Tons more of course but those are just some I can think of at the moment.

RMI

Banned
Everything in the thread up to this and also:

Ida
The Host
The Twilight Samurai
Mother
Audition

probably a lot more that I can't think of off the top of my head but these are some of my favorites.

Mondrian

these are some of my faves from the early 2000s:

Amores Perros
Read My Lips
With a Friend Like Harry
Open Your Eyes (original vanilla sky)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Heropage-980x560_44.jpg

MV5BNDkzNjgyMTYtMGFiZi00MmFjLTgwOGEtNzhmYzY0Mjc0MTE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjIyOTAzNzc@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Fond of these.

Blizzard

Banned
Amelie was the very first movie I thought of, so kudos on that. :p I haven't watched a lot of foreign movies otherwise, though.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Innocent Saturday

A russian movie set directly after Chernobyl. Not exactly about the event itself, but about the people.

Kimo No Na Wa and Shin Godzilla were really good films that came out last year. Even if you aren't a fan of anime or science fiction they're really great experiences. Kurosawa and Honda's Kagemusha from the 1980's is really good too.

gamz

John Woo movies. Killers and Hard Boiled. Probably the most influential action director in the past 20 years.

Others have mentioned everything else I would've added.

Few of my favourites.

The Lives of Others
Le Boucher
Shoot the Piano Player
Das Boot
Cinema Paradiso
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Downfall
Wild Strawberries

Strax

1. Noi, The Albino (Iceland)
2. No Man's Land (Bosnia)
3. The 400 Blows (France)
4. Cléo from 5 to 7 (France)
5. Come and See (Belarus/Russia)
6. Seven Samurai (Japan)
7. Goodbye Lenin! (Germany)
8. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (Romania)
9. Downfall (Germany)
10. The Green Butchers (Denmark)

More recent

Rams (Iceland)
Victoria (Germany)

MrS

Banned
The Lives of Others
The Red Balloon
The Seventh Continent
Caché
Funny Games
Bullhead
The Piano Teacher
The Boss Of It All
I Saw The Devil
A Bittersweet Life
Tell No One

Minus_Me

9347000.jpg

91fzBmHDD8L._SY445_.jpg

Wong Kar Wai's true masterpiece.

438_box_348x490_original.jpg

If French Canada is considered foreign. Probably the best Canadian film. Really sad unfortunately about Jutra though.

ERotIC

Banned
Rashomon
Seven Samurai
Ikiru
The Seventh Seal
Ivan's Childhood
Breathless
Le Circle Rouge
Pan's Labyrinth
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Weekend
Two or Three Things I Know about Her
Stalker
Solaris
8 1/2
Cinema Paradiso
Ran
High and Low
Red Desert
L'Aventurra

gamz

the French horror wave from a few years ago.

Martyrs, Inside, High Tension, Them, Frontiers.

Good stuff!

duckroll

Chungking Express - Because Faye Wong is a goddess
In the Mood for Love - Because Tony Leung is the sexiest man alive
Brotherhood of the Wolf - Because sword whips are awesome
Life is Beautiful - Because it touches the heart
Sword of the Stranger - Best action animated film of all time
Joint Security Area - Park Chan Wook was a cool director before he was super mainstream
Lust Caution - Did I mention Tony Leung is the sexiest man alive? You can see his ballsack in this one!
Whisper of the Heart - My favorite anime film ever

INCENDIES - Villeneuve da gawd

Breathless
400 Blows
Le Samourai
Claire's Knee
Trafic
La Dolce Vita
Umberto D
Rome, Open City
Chunking Express
The Host
Yi Yi
Tokyo Story
Branded to Kill
Persona
Repulsion
Pather Panchali

Strax

The Passion of Joan of Arc

I wouldn't even make my worst enemy watch it. Yes, it was highly influential but it's a terrible movie to watch in 2017 and has been for over 70 years unless you have a great passion for the history of filmmaking.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Ashes of Time; In the Mood for Love
The Killer; Hard Boiled
Seven Samurai; Ikiru (Hell just all of Kurosawa 's filmography)

Wild Tales (2014) from Argentina, with 95% on rotten tomatoes out of 140 reviews.

Trailer

Basically 6 separate stories about people losing their temper in different situations. Very representative not just of Argentine culture (hot-headed, arrogant city dwelling porteños) but of society as a whole having to deal with present-day issues.

e988ed53322153.593015825d458.jpg

Inequality, injustice and the demands of the world we live in cause stress and depression for many people. Some of them, however, explode. This is a movie about those people. Vulnerable in the face of a reality that shifts and suddenly turns unpredictable, the characters of Wild Tales cross the thin line that divides civilization and barbarism. A lover's betrayal, a return to the repressed past and the violence woven into everyday encounters drive the characters to madness as they cede to the undeniable pleasure of losing control.

ERotIC

Banned
I wouldn't even make my worst enemy watch it. Yes, it was highly influential but it's a terrible movie to watch in 2017 and has been for over 70 years unless you have a great passion for the history of filmmaking.

Naw brah. It contains one of the greatest acting performances of all time.

Retro

Two not listed so far; Duckroll got the first one while I was typing up my response, oh well;

Life is Beautiful (1997, Italy) - A romantic comedy turns into a heartbreaking historical drama as a Jewish man woos a schoolteacher away from her fiance, settles down and has a family, only for the horrors of World War II to break out and tear them apart. Bring tissues, it's a hard film to watch.

Gojira (1954, Japan) - I know, you're thinking "Seriously? He suggested a gut-wrenching movie about the Holocaust and follows it up with a goofy giant monster movie?" Bear with me; I know the "monster as metaphor" bit is widely-known, and the film has some pretty dicey special effects (any time the monster is fully lit, especially the first time he shows up and he's a shabby-looking hand puppet). But watch it, and try to get yourself in the mindset of a Japanese viewer in 1954, 9 years after the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The scenes of destruction, especially a long, panning shot of Tokyo as it burns, are things that would have been alarmingly familiar. Put yourselves in the shoes of someone who 10 years prior could never have imagined destruction on such an absolute scale, and then watch it lumber slowly like a a dark apocalypse through each scene, moving block by block, with no way to comprehend or control it. And yes, the human drama is good too. Japanese sub only, none of that American hatchet job bullshit. I recommend the Criterion Collection version.

Top Bottom