• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Must see foreign films

Venture

C8Wt0A8W0AABEzw.jpg
Is that a CG desk? Weird.

Machine

Delicatessen
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
My Life as a Dog
The Gods Must Be Crazy
Wild Strawberries
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
M

Steamlord

Czech New Wave is crazy good

Marketa Lazarova
The Cremator
Daisies
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
The Sun in a Net

And like a million others I still haven't gotten around to seeing

Budi

Search function didn't catch Jagten mention in this thread. It's really haunting.

Edit: Ah, it has been mentioned several times with the English title. Still, great film.

Really happy to see a thread like this in Gaf, great contrast to all that usual comic/geek stuff. Keep up the recommendations!

I am German so it will be weird to post German films even if it is not in English. However since people have mentioned many German films but not "Good Bye Lenin!" yet... go watch that.

I will reiterate some that have been mentioned already, they are must-see and my favorite films.

Amélie (French)
Delicatessen (French) - Also by Jean-Pierre Jeunet who did Amélie.
Stalker (Russian)
The Return (Russian)
The Seventh Seal (Swedish)
Oldboy (Korean)
Pan's Labyrinth (Spanish)

Both The Seventh Seal and Stalker have my favourite imagery in film ever.

YxXIwIL.jpg

zIBMFbk.jpg

rzXsU8o.jpg

UplyX6v.jpg

677olhM.gif

qLUeJDj.jpg

Kazaam

Speaking of Stalker, the new Criterion Collection Blu Ray is absolutely gorgeous... it enhances the viewing experience so much.

Lkr

Das Boot

That movie fucked me up. I had to take multiple breaks during it because it is fucking suspenseful as hell.

thenexus6

0GAW8nJFte.jpg

I've taken something away from every single Kitano film.

Hana-Bi
Kikujiro
Getting Any?
Zatoichi
Sonatine
Dolls

List goes on.

I assume and hope someone already mentioned Wong Kar-Wai, so I'll go with the wonderful Korean director Kim Ki-Duk, who helped me get into Buddhism.

I dare you to dislike 3-Iron

What's wrong? It already made a killing internationally and the original will always exist.

I plan on watching it before seeing the remake.

Plus I'm curious how true The Independent's review of it is, "a third-rate buddy movie that hardly understands its own condescension....Why has the world flipped for this movie? Maybe it's the fantasy it spins on racial/social/cultural mores, much as Driving Miss Daisy did 20-odd years ago – uptight rich white employer learns to love through black employee's life-force. That was set in the segregationist America of the 1940s. What's this film's excuse?"

LOL

eot

Banned
Picnic At Hanging Rock
An Australian film about some girls in a boarding school going for a picnic, it has a very surreal atmosphere. Watch the original cut.

CloudWolf

Toni Erdmann
I didn't see this one mentioned yet. It's the most rare of things, a German comedy that's actually funny and kinda heartbreaking. It's great.

Of course, they already announced an US remake before the film had even released in the US :lol

Saddened at only one mention of Love Exposure.

Sion Sono is the god of cinema.

Also this is a bizarre idea for a thread - different films are 'foreign' to different people unless you're adopting a rather America-centric view of the world.

Could just call the thread 'best films', given that.

Saddened at only one mention of Love Exposure.

Sion Sono is the god of cinema.

Also this is a bizarre idea for a thread - different films are 'foreign' to different people unless you're adopting a rather America-centric view of the world.

Could just call the thread 'best films', given that.

My God.

This is an American centric board.

Everybody knows what people mean when we're talking about foreign films.

saad1

Banned
i really love suicide room. u should give it a try it's polish movie
my only advice: watch it without reading about it

Javier23

Banned
I haven't seen either (I'll try to remedy that very soon) but Wages of Fear is generally considered to be an absolute classic while Sorcerer is a little bit more controversial but definitely has some hardcore defenders.
Haven't seen Wages of Fear (I'll try to remedy that myself soon too), but Sorcerer is easily one of my absolute favorite movies. I'm really not convinced the original will match it for me, but hey, who knows!

Meier

For the life of this iteration of GAF, I've always been recommending Yi Yi: A One and a Two when this sort of thing comes up. It is a true masterpiece.

Incendies is incredible. I believe a mix of Arabic and French covering an unnamed conflict which is obviously meant to be the Lebanese Civil War

Steamlord

No, this is an English language board.

The English speaking population of the world =/= America.

And OP specifically requested non-English films. You can take issue with the use of the term "foreign," but there's nothing wrong with the actual premise of the thread.

vulva

Fallen Angels is probably the best movie ever made, so that's probably the most important one for anyone to watch.

Flowers of Shanghai
Stranger by the Lake
The Turin Horse
Platform
Suzhou River
Blind Mountain (still probably the most depressing movie I've ever seen, highly recommend it)

man I don't know, I probably really love more foreign films than domestic.

Most Kurosawa films including High & Low, Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Ran etc...
Solaris / Stalker / The Sacrifice
Wages of Fear
The Battle of Algiers
Eyes Without A Face
Weekend / My Life To Live / Pierrot le Fou
The Great Silence
The Holy Mountain

Just some that come to mind.

Yeah I've been to the criterion website too

nachum00

Fitzcarraldo
Simon of the Desert
Holy Mountain
Solaris
Stalker
The Mirror
Aguirre The Wrath of God
Heart of Glass
Rashomon
Seventh Seal
Persona
Seven Samurai
Santa Sangre
El Topo
Breathless
Sonatine
Dogtooth
Vivre Sa Vie
M

Just a few but there's so many foreign films worth watching that this list is silly and worthless

Kill3r7

City of God
Cinema Paradiso
Seven Samurai
Amelie
Bicycle Thieves
Battle of Algiers
In the mood for love
The Seventh Seal
Pan's Labyrinth
La Haine
The 400 Blows
Oldboy

I'm sure I am forgetting dozens of other great movies but that is a pretty good start.

BESTOFYOUTHQUAD.jpg

Might've been mentioned, not sure. It's maybe my 3rd or 4th favorite movie of all time. I believe I saw it mentioned here on GAF a few years ago. Put it on Netflix to check out the first 15 minutes and ended up watching all SIX HOURS of it. It's the story of an Italian family set against the political situation in the country from 1966 to 2003. Don't think I've been more surprised by a movie before. It was shot as a made for TV movie and later shown on a few theaters as a 2 parter. The amount of directorial skill shown on screen and the actors performances are astounding. Everyone here that's into cinema needs to see it.

Alastor3

another good french movie : RRRrrrr! (yes, that's the name of the movie)

In 35,000 BC, the tribe of the Dirty Hairs is in war against the tribe of the Clean Hairs for eight hundred years, trying to get their shampoo. The chief of the Dirty Hairs sends his daughter Guy disguised to the enemy tribe to get some shampoo for his tribe. When the healer of the Clean Hairs tribe surprisingly kills two cavemen of his tribe, their imbecile chief assigns Pierre with curled hair and Pierre blonde to investigate the murder and find the criminal.

Osahi

BESTOFYOUTHQUAD.jpg

Might've been mentioned, not sure. It's maybe my 3rd or 4th favorite movie of all time. I believe I saw it mentioned here on GAF a few years ago. Put it on Netflix to check out the first 15 minutes and ended up watching all SIX HOURS of it. It's the story of an Italian family set against the political situation in the country from 1966 to 2003. Don't think I've been more surprised by a movie before. It was shot as a made for TV movie and later shown on a few theaters as a 2 parter. The amount of directorial skill shown on screen and the actors performances are astounding. Everyone here that's into cinema needs to see it.

Yeah. Brilliant film. It played (in 2 parts) in an arthouse here for almost two years! In the end they had to stop because the film was scratched and breaking.

Top Bottom