• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Must see foreign films

duckroll

Oh yeah, I forgot one film. Fuck, totally forgot about it arghhhhhhhhhhhh. Gonna edit it back into my post.

Incendies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you haven't heard of it, go watch it now. :p

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Great question but I remember there being a similar thread a few weeks ago. Will search later when at PC.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I love these movies. 3-iron <3 I feel like I never see it recommended
Hell yesss 3-iron <3! Did a number on me when I first watched way back. Absolutely loved that there was maybe 10 minutes of talking during the entire 3 hour ride haha. Just lovely.
Gonna keep updating list with randoms that pop in me head.

Edit:
Oh yeah, I forgot one film. Fuck, totally forgot about it arghhhhhhhhhhhh. Gonna edit it back into my post.

Incendies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you haven't heard of it, go watch it now. :p
My boy also keeps reminding me to watch this. I'll do it later this week probably.

jokkir

Train to Busan for a pretty good zombie flick
The Handmaiden for a very well shot movie (same director as Old Boy)

Moppeh

Banned
My top 10 favorite non-English films are:

-La Dolce Vita
-Stalker
-Le Mepris
-Aguirre, The Wrath of God
-8 1/2
-Pierrot Le Fou
-Seven Samurai
-In The Mood For Love
-Close-Up
-Breathless

duckroll

I still like Ashes of Time better than any of those but I'm odd that way...

I love Ashes of Time. I think every WKW film offers something different and somewhat unique, even the not so great ones. But Ashes of Time isn't a tragic stab in the gut story so much as a melancholic one. It eats away at you slowly. My favorite thing about Ashes of Time though, is reading impressions or reviews from people who actually expected a wuxia action movie. Lmao.

ERotIC

Banned
My top 10 favorite non-English films are:

-La Dolce Vita
-Stalker
-Le Mepris
-Aguire, The Wrath of God
-8 1/2
-Pierrot Le Fou
-Seven Samurai
-In The Mood For Love
-Close-Up
-Breathless

Good list. Forgot to include a bunch of Herzog titles in my quickly thought-out list.

Xe4

Banned
From a separate thread:
England:
Animal Farm
Code:
[IMG]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/books/2015-08/11aug/Animalfarm_3096015a-xlarge.jpg[/IMG]
I have my share of problems with this film, but it is very historically important, often being cited as the first adult animated film ever made.

The Plague Dogs
Code:
[IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/tXBMZicJjc4/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG]
The strangely more messed up cousin of Watership Down, I actually find this film to be even more endearing, despite it being less well known.

France:
The Tale of the Fox
image-w448.jpg

Very old, but a classic, it's one of the most impressive puppetry animated films even by today standards.

Germany:
Felidae
Felidae_moviecover.jpg

A horrific almost fairy tale about eugenics and animal rights, yet one that is wonderfully told.

Italy:
Allegro Non Troppo
Code:
[IMG]https://assets.mubi.com/images/film/10464/image-w1280.jpg?1445948161[/IMG]
An Italian director's response to Fantasia. A gorgeous and underrated film.

Korea:
My Beautiful Girl, Mari
Code:
[IMG]http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/5368/3/16x9/960.jpg[/IMG]
A beautiful and imaginative film worth seeing for the visuals alone.

Russia:
The Snow Queen
tumblr_inline_muuql3I0OF1r72zsq.jpg

The best adaptation of my favorite childrens book, this film is widely regarded as Lev Atanamov's masterpiece.

The Films of Yuri Norstein
Skazka-Skazok2.jpg

The best item on this list, by far. Just watch it. Seriously.

There's more, but those are some non-obvious foreign animated films that are a must see.

Minus_Me

I can't decide if this one is more of a gut punch or if Days of Being Wild is. Fallen Angels does have the masturbation scene though so that's an edge. :p

Having gone between the two over the years, some of the acting in Fallen Angels just pushes it over the edge for me.

mhayes86

Pretty much all of Park chan-Wook's works.

Oldboy
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
Sympathy for Mrs Vengeance
Thirst
JSA
I'm a Robot, but that's Okay

Son of Saul - Possibly the best movie about the Holocaust since Schindler's List and The Pianist

I Saw The Devil - A brutally ruthless South Korean thriller about the monsters and the corruption of revenge

The Raid / The Raid 2 - Two of the best action movies of the decade, with bone-crunching raw martial arts and a gritty crime atmosphere

HotHamBoy

images-w1400.jpg

www.FilmStruck.com

The Criterion Collection + Turner Classic Movies. Most of the best foreign films ever made are on this streaming service. Many of the films mentioned in this thread are on it.

14 day free trial.

A lot of great movies here, will add two more to the collection. Very touching and absolutely beautiful movie A Time for Drunken Horses.

timefordrunkenhorses-400x548.jpg

A lot of people probably won't agree with me, and clearly movie isn't for everyone, but I think Eden Log was quite good, maybe not a must see but well worth the time imo.

eden-log-cover.jpg

A Prophet

Condemned to six years in prison, Malik El Djebena, part Arab, part Corsican, cannot read or write. Arriving at the jail entirely alone, he appears younger and more fragile than the other convicts. He is 19 years old. Cornered by the leader of the Corsican gang currently ruling the prison, he is given a number of "missions" to carry out, toughening him up and gaining the gang leader's confidence in the process. Malik is a fast learner and rises up the prison ranks, all the while secretly devising his own plans.
One of the greats.

Incendies by Dennis Villeneuve is outstanding too.

Get ready for the best list:

CITY OF GOD

SHUTTER

BATTLE ROYAL

BLUE IS THE WARMEST COLOR

THE WAILING

SHAOLIN SOCCER

THE RAID: REDEMPTION

OLDBOY

A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT

There are so many foreign films that are must see, but here are a few that I like (that must be seen):

Bicycle Thieves
(Italy, 1948)
Sansho The Bailiff (Japan, 1954)
Il Posto (Italy, 1960)
Mon Oncle Antoine (Canada, 1971)
House (Japan, 1977)
Peking Opera Blues (Hong Kong, 1986)
The Vanishing (Dutch/France, 1988)
Grave Of The Fireflies (Japan, 1988)
Chungking Express (Hong Kong, 1994)
Intruder (Hong Kong, 1997)
Too Many Ways To Be No. 1 (Hong Kong, 1997)
Audition (Japan, 1999)
The Mission (Hong Kong, 1999)
Running Out Of Time (Hong Kong, 1999)
A Tale Of Two Sisters (South Korea, 2003)
Oldboy (South Korea, 2003)
2LDK (Japan, 2003)
Three Extremes (Hong Kong/South Korea/Japan) 2004)
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance (South Korea, 2005)
A Bittersweet Life (South Korea, 2005)
Shinjuku Incident (Hong Kong, 2009)
Incendies (Canada, 2010)

There's tons more, but I'll leave it at that. Also check out the great Hong Kong martial arts movies of the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Most Kurosawa films including High & Low, Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Ran etc...
Solaris / Stalker / The Sacrifice
Wages of Fear
The Battle of Algiers
Eyes Without A Face
Weekend / My Life To Live / Pierrot le Fou
The Great Silence
The Holy Mountain

Just some that come to mind.

DrSlek

Shin Godzilla

A Monster in Paris

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

The Intouchables

Seven Samurai

Yojimbo

Kung Fu Hustle

My personal favorite is Downfall though it has also been mentioned by others as well.

I apologize if this is slightly off topic but I figure this thread might be the best place to ask but I remember in my last year of High School (2008) my French teacher showed us a French film that I quite enjoyed but for the life of me haven't been able to remember the name after all this time. I can barely remember much about it but what I believe I remember will be in spoiler tags below.

It was about a woman with a split personality I believe that grew more crazy as the movie went on, the most distinctive thing I remember is at the end of the movie a dresser or something was moved from the wall and all the pills she was supposed to have been taking were stuck to the wall. My apologies for the very vague description but it's been so long I don't remember much.

FUME5

Code:
[IMG]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c6/61/4c/c6614c3bd211853cb6e441484ea9f6aa.jpg[/IMG]

messiaen

La Jetée
Nuit et brouillard
Three Colors: Blue, White & Red
Hiroshima mon amour
Dekalog
Aki Kaurismäki's Proletariat Trilogy
An Autumn Afternoon
Nobody Knows
The Mourning Forest
Repentance
Of Gods and Men