• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MvC3-Gamestop accidently confirms Jill Valentine and Shuma Gorath as DLC Characters

Articalys

Well, I guess DLC fighting game characters are the future standard now.

On another note, I've only recently realized just how extremely poor of a job the video game industry does of keeping information under wraps until its "proper" unveiling. Between retailer leaks, insiders passing secrets around, public resumes listing unannounced projects... only Nintendo seems to keep most of its stuff under wraps, and even they had DKCR rumored/leaked a few days before E3.

Bebpo

Banned
Dresden said:
No Leon and no Strider makes me weep.

Yeah, I can't believe they're actually releasing a MvC game without Strider. What has the world come to :(

If he's DLC then I guess that's less bad, but no Strider is a huge blow to the franchise. He's one of the most fun characters to play as and he looks awesome.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Articalys said:
Well, I guess DLC fighting game characters are the future standard now.

On another note, I've only recently realized just how extremely poor of a job the video game industry does of keeping information under wraps until its "proper" unveiling. Between retailer leaks, insiders passing secrets around, public resumes listing unannounced projects... only Nintendo seems to keep most of its stuff under wraps, and even they had DKCR rumored/leaked a few days before E3.

Fighting games are probably under more fire in regards to leaks due to the characters being such a focus. Not that Capcom doesnt fuck up all the time.

El Sloth

Banned
More lupinko treats!
lupinko said:
I know someone in the inside, I can post some but now people are starting to notice. Lol

yes, if you have full 5 stock bar and Phoenix dies she comes back as dark Phoenix like gill resurrection. Also she has seth like health

GhaleonQ

*usual post about Capcom being the worst*

HK-47 said:
Fuck Bison and his more unique moveset. More shotos!

Wasn't it Boon or Tobias who said that the next Mortal Kombat's designed to compete with Capcom? Maybe Capcom can get someone in a GREEN gi!

Monocle

On the one hand, yay. On the other, WTF is up with this DLC nonsense? On the third hand, Vergil as a DLC character, plz.

On the fourth hand...nobody has four hands, silly. That's just crazy talk.

GhaleonQ

Monocle said:
On the one hand, yay. On the other, WTF is up with this DLC nonsense? On the third hand, Vergil as a DLC character, plz.

On the fourth hand...nobody has four hands, silly. That's just crazy talk.

A-HEM.

M-shuma.gif

N4Us

DLC, ohhhhh man. I kinda wish I didn't preorder the game so early now.

But hey, if that list is really true, can't wait for
Hsien-ko

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
One has to wonder how much bullshit the memory issues are now. With both Shuma and Tron in, outside of the obvious crazy memory situation with Demitri, his aura and midnight bliss, does anyone else really take up too much memory to get in?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'd be cool with moderate or large character packs released several months or a year apart to keep the game fresh with new content, but withholding individual characters as DLC at launch is the very worst side of digital distribution. Fuck that noise.

Teknoman said:
Well looks like i'll be buying the special edition. More interested in the special case, comic, and art book than the fact it includes the DLC characters... Kinda sucks that they are doing something like that right out of the gate though.
thetrin said:
I'm going to preorder the special edition for the comic and the art book. The DLC characters are whatever.
Would either of you be interested in sparing your unlock codes, then? :p

VisionaryQuest0 said:
How the hell is that going to work?
Might be the OMGWTF character that Seth has previously referred to.

HK-47 said:
One has to wonder how much bullshit the memory issues are now. With both Shuma and Tron in, outside of the obvious crazy memory situation with Demitri, his aura and midnight bliss, does anyone else really take up too much memory to get in?
When they said memory, they meant RAM. (One of) Demitri's (supposed) problems is that alternate versions of the opposing team would have to be loaded into the background for every match, not that they take up too much space on disk.

Cels

duckroll said:
How do you know this?

he's just joking...but really don't you think it might be on the disc since capcom has pulled this crap before? RE5 VS mode anyone?

The 4-week delay between launch and availability makes me wonder though.

Nemesis_

I love everyone's assumptions that the MvsC3 package will feel totally incomplete or lacking with the lack of two characters.

Dresden

Nemesis556 said:
I love everyone's assumptions that the MvsC3 package will feel totally incomplete or lacking with the lack of two characters.
Actually, they're right. No Strider leaves a gaping hole in my heart.

YES! YES! FUCKING SHUMA GORATH MOTHERFUCKERS!

I'm seriously shitting myself right now, Shuma was my favorite vs character, I wanted him so bad :D

Wesker/Shuma Gorath/Dormammu main team FOR LIFE.

TEN MORE YEARS
TEN MORE YEARS
TEN MORE YEARS

duckroll

Cels said:
he's just joking...but really don't you think it might be on the disc since capcom has pulled this crap before? RE5 VS mode anyone?

The 4-week delay between launch and availability makes me wonder though.

The RE5 DLC wasn't exactly on the disc though. There was code in the game supporting the future implementation, but the team working on the extra content completed it independent of the main game team. There is content for the Blazblue DLC characters on the disc too, but it's not complete, and it's there because that is how much they had completed at the time when the game shipped.

That doesn't mean that the original game budget covers all this extra stuff. Capcom explained it before, and it actually makes sense. Just because data is on the disc supporting such content does not mean they were taken out to charge customers for it. More likely because DLC as a platform is now profitable, they can extend content during development, with DLC in mind.

Serious question: If MvC3 has zero DLC in future, and the game ships as it is for $59.99, with no special edition, and Jill and Shuma Gorath is not in the game at all and never was, would that be better than the situation we have now? And why?

Dahbomb

Basically my reactions to all this:

Jill in MVC3 -> YAY! But that makes 3 RE5 characters?

Shuma Gorath in MVC3 -> YAY! But no Dr Strangelove? (DLC bait?)

Both are DLC post-launch? -> WTF is this Capcom? :lol

Hsien-Ko in leaked list -> Pretty much de-confirms Capcom's de-confirmation list as they said no more Darkstalker characters. :D It also pretty much means that any character that isn't here now is viable for DLC.

Akuma in leaked list -> This also de-confirms Capcom's de-confirmation list as they said no more Shotos.

Phoenix/Dark Phoenix in leaked list -> FUCKING YES!!! :D

No Megaman in leaked list? -> LOL DLC bait LOL

No Frank West in leaked list -> More DLC bait

No Strider in leaked list -> LOL DLC bait LOL (oh please god)

That's a lot of DLC bait I am predicting. Although I am really surprised Strider isn't in this because the director has hinted Strider for a long time and he has NEVER de-confirmed him despite getting many opportunities to do so. Back then Strider was as much as confirmed as Magneto was.

LowParry

Dahbomb said:
Basically my reactions to all this:

Jill in MVC3 -> YAY! But that makes 3 RE5 characters?

Shuma Gorath in MVC3 -> YAY! But no Dr Strangelove? (DLC bait?)

Both are DLC post-launch? -> WTF is this Capcom? :lol

Hsien-Ko in leaked list -> Pretty much de-confirms Capcom's de-confirmation list as they said no more Darkstalker characters. :D It also pretty much means that any character that isn't here now is viable for DLC.

Akuma in leaked list -> This also de-confirms Capcom's de-confirmation list as they said no more Shotos.

Phoenix/Dark Phoenix in leaked list -> FUCKING YES!!! :D

No Megaman in leaked list? -> LOL DLC bait LOL

No Frank West in leaked list -> More DLC bait

No Strider in leaked list -> LOL DLC bait LOL (oh please god)

That's a lot of DLC bait I am predicting. Although I am really surprised Strider isn't in this because the director has hinted Strider for a long time and he has NEVER de-confirmed him despite getting many opportunities to do so. Back then Strider was as much as confirmed as Magneto was.

27ycnif.jpg

Bait. :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sixfortyfive said:
When they said memory, they meant RAM. (One of) Demitri's (supposed) problems is that alternate versions of the opposing team would have to be loaded into the background for every match, not that they take up too much space on disk.

I know they meant RAM, but they talked about how characters with lots of transformations are memory hogs. Yet we get transformation intensive characters. Everyone knew Midnight Bliss was a problem beyond the norm because it requires a new model for every character.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
duckroll said:
Serious question: If MvC3 has zero DLC in future, and the game ships as it is for $59.99, with no special edition, and Jill and Shuma Gorath is not in the game at all and never was, would that be better than the situation we have now? And why?
If it stopped with these two characters I wouldn't really care that much. The worst-case scenario I'm thinking of right now is having individual characters doled out after release at reasonably frequent intervals, some of them coinciding right before major tournaments. The hell do you do then, especially if some general gameplay tweaks accompany any of them? Doesn't give people a lot of time to adjust.

I'm also not terribly interested in buying extra characters I may not even like just to get matchup experience. There's only so much you can learn from videos. (That could be mostly averted if they let everyone download the character data for free but charge for the ability to use them, so that you could at least play against them online.)

At any rate, I'm fine with DLC updates in general, but I'd prefer them to be of a more substantial caliber and released well after the game hits shelves.

I also feel pretty safe in saying that any character who is planned for DLC several months before release is specifically being withheld for no other purpose than to nickel and dime the userbase. This is about as clear-cut a case of "shipping an incomplete game" that you're going to get, imo.

EDIT: I mean, fuck, I rage when I have to unlock characters. Buying them is just as bad.

Dahbomb

From now on, no more fucking talk about character DLC baits!

We have already given Capcom too many ideas! :lol

The guy above before me answered perfectly so I don't think I can add much.

Sooner or later the integrity if MVC3 as a FIGHTING GAME comes into question. You have to realize that adding DLC characters is like adding integral game play segments into the game that weren't in the game before. These aren't costumes or weapon palette swaps, these are completely unique characters with their own movesets and options.

I really don't know how frequent they will be with this but from the looks of it they might be adding 6 more within a 6 month period after the game releases (maybe more maybe less). What if a character pair is released right before a major tournament? People say this and that about MVC2 character balance but it was one of the most played fighters at tournaments and I don't see that changing with MVC3. Imagine someone getting the new characters first, getting good with them early and finding some exploits in them to own a major tournament, way before anyone got a chance to play that character.

To your question I would say the answer is not as simple. The current situation is fine but it could be a lot worse which is what most are fearing.

I would much rather that Capcom releases the game with the 38 or so characters out of the box, no DLCs until at least half a year when they release an expansion with a lot of new characters. It gives enough time for us to sink into the main game and then hype up the expansion.

duckroll said:

Yes it would be better.

a) Some people still don't have broadband. Shocking I know, but if you don't have broadband you aren't going to be on PSN. You miss out.

b) You basically have to buy these characters if you want to be competitive.

c) Who knows where DLC characters will stop. I don't doubt it costs Capcom money for every character they add to the cast, but that doesn't excuse tacking $20+ to the purchase price of the game. Remember the cost of SFIV costumes? Were they priced relative to the work involved? You know darned well they weren't, so I don't even know why you're playing devil's advocate here and crying poor on Capcom's behalf.

Now here's a question for you: Would you be defending this if the game shipped with the characters on the disc for US$70 retail with no explanation?

fernoca

duckroll said:
I guess is one of those situations that no matter what, Capcom's going to be wrong.

They could put all those character into the game, people would still be asking for more and the new characters announced as DLC would still be seen as "ripoff, Capcom removed them from the game to charge more for it."

Obviously, because they are charging for them. If the DLC was free of charge, of course Capcom would be awesome for supplying new content to the game. But because it costs money, they are going to charge for stuff that was removed from the game and should've been there always.

duckroll

Sixfortyfive said:
I also feel pretty safe in saying that any character who is planned for DLC several months before release is specifically being withheld for no other purpose than to nickel and dime the userbase.

I don't know if I can agree with this. Everything has a cost and value to it. Like I said before, let's say they start developing the game with a planned budget which allows the design, creation, and balance (lolol MvC balance lol) of say 36 characters. That would be what was greenlit at the start of the project.

2 years into the project, they want to add more characters, but under normal circumstances they would not be able to add anything. With DLC, they are able to budget more content creation well into development because there is an expected profit from that. Does this mean that right now, before the game even ships, there are probably 6-8 characters at various stages of completion meant for future DLC? Sure. Does this mean that any of these characters were going to be in the game and were held back on purpose? Fuck no.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think I could get behind character packs of like 4-6 characters but say single characters going for 8 bucks I would consider gouging. Granted I'd rather have a system like TF2 were important game affecting content is free and cosmetic items are charged for.

duckroll

Gokurakumaru said:
Yes it would be better.

a) Some people still don't have broadband. Shocking I know, but if you don't have broadband you aren't going to be on PSN. You miss out.

Okay, people in some countries don't have food or clean water too. They miss out on a better life. So? Am I supposed to lower my standard of living to be fair? Nope.

b) You basically have to buy these characters if you want to be competitive.

You know what else requires you to spend hundreds of dollars endlessly to be competitive? Arcade games. I guess those were a total ripoff and terrible games too.

c) Who knows where DLC characters will stop. I don't doubt it costs Capcom money for every character they add to the cast, but that doesn't excuse tacking $20+ to the purchase price of the game. Remember the cost of SFIV costumes? Were they priced relative to the work involved? You know darned well they weren't, so I don't even know why you're playing devil's advocate here and crying poor on Capcom's behalf.

$20+? It's a special edition which costs 10 bucks more, comes in a steelbook case, a comic, and 2 DLC characters. If you want to argue about it being a ripoff, you should at least be accurate about it. Even without DLC bonuses, the normal price of a special edition is 10 bucks more.

You don't want the DLC or extras, don't buy it. Who knows where the DLC characters will stop? Honestly I hope they never stop. 100+ characters for MvC3 plz, fuck balance, fuck competitiveness. It's a Versus game, I play it for the lolz.

Now here's a question for you: Would you be defending this if the game shipped with the characters on the disc for US$70 retail with no explanation?

I'm not sure what your point even is here. What are you trying to say? I'm not "defending" anything. I'm trying to figure out what the uproar is about. More optional content at a price = bad, no option content = good? Really?

HK-47 said:
I think I could get behind character packs of like 4-6 characters but say single characters going for 8 bucks I would consider gouging. Granted I'd rather have a system like TF2 were important game affecting content is free and cosmetic items are charged for.

Free is always best. But not every developer is Valve. It's unfortunate, but maybe if they were all as successful, the world would be a better place for all!

Dahbomb

duckroll said:
I don't know if I can agree with this. Everything has a cost and value to it. Like I said before, let's say they start developing the game with a planned budget which allows the design, creation, and balance (lolol MvC balance lol) of say 36 characters. That would be what was greenlit at the start of the project.

2 years into the project, they want to add more characters, but under normal circumstances they would not be able to add anything. With DLC, they are able to budget more content creation well into development because there is an expected profit from that. Does this mean that right now, before the game even ships, there are probably 6-8 characters at various stages of completion meant for future DLC? Sure. Does this mean that any of these characters were going to be in the game and were held back on purpose? Fuck no.
You really think that a character of Megaman or Jill's stature was being worked on AFTER some of the other less known characters? That is really a naive notion.

The DLC "picks" are going to be straight up fan favorites or characters from previous MVC games. Can you honestly say that Capcom started work on making Megaman AFTER they finished working on the 30+ characters in the game already?

If I was making a MVC game and I was coming up with a character roster, these 4 characters would instantly spring to my mind as characters I would include first:

Ryu, Megaman, Wolverine and Spider Man.

If Megaman is not in the game day 1, then he is purposely being held back for DLC so that it's an easy sell. The guy is an icon for Capcom, for him to be relegated to DLC bait simply means that Capcom is out to exploit.

My reaction is mixed. Everyone who wanted Jill and Shuma, go nuts. It would depend on pricing and how many characters are they planning to release as DLC?
At least with Aksys, all three DLC characters ended up being $24 + $40 for the game = $64.
If Capcom releases like 6-10 DLC characters at $8 a pop. I may get one or two, or just skip it all together. So total cost would be $48-60 + $60 for game = $100+. Assuming I don't get the Limited CE.
Overall, it would be positive because more choice and options. Not having the character doesn't hinder the casual player, but if your playing it competitively at tourneys, well obviously, you're getting them for the matchups and possible asset to your team.
Remember, if you don't like it, well, don't buy it. :D No one is forcing you to buy it.

HK-47 said:

I could see them making an "Ultimate All Stars" and "New Age" pack with converted TvC and MvC2 characters.

I have to say, assuming lupin's list is indeed accurate with none missing (save for possible DLC), it reallly seems ho-hum. I really would've preferred that other recent leaked list with Howard the Duck and Classic Megaman among others.

CPS2

What happened to that picture with the names on it? That was looking like a pretty decent rumour list not long ago...

duckroll

Dahbomb said:
You really think that a character of Megaman or Jill's stature was being worked on AFTER some of the other less known characters? That is really a naive notion.

The DLC "picks" are going to be straight up fan favorites or characters from previous MVC games. Can you honestly say that Capcom started work on making Megaman AFTER they finished working on the 30+ characters in the game already?

If I was making a MVC game and I was coming up with a character roster, these 4 characters would instantly spring to my mind as characters I would include first:

Ryu, Megaman, Wolverine and Spider Man.

If Megaman is not in the game day 1, then he is purposely being held back for DLC so that it's an easy sell. The guy is an icon for Capcom, for him to be relegated to DLC bait simply means that Capcom is out to exploit.

You focus on Megaman here, a character who has not been confirmed in any form for DLC. But let's focus on Jill. Resident Evil is already represented by Chris. There is no reason to have another RE character unless you need to pad the roaster or please RE fanboys. For that reason alone, I think it is completely reasonable to think that she could actually not be in the game at all if not for DLC. If there was no DLC and she isn't in the roaster at all, no one would be making a fuss over it.

I do agree though that a character like Megaman is probably fanbait for DLC. If that wasn't the case, Zero's slot would likely be replaced by either X or classic Megaman instead. But let's say Capcom did the "stupid" thing and made Zero DLC instead. Wouldn't most people STILL be complaining about the same thing?

What I'm saying is, the reality is that there is no way Capcom can put every single character they have in the game. There will always be missing characters which fans really want. That was the case with MvC, MvC2, and TvC. The difference this time, is that the missing characters fans want can now be retroactively sold in future, adding to the game. I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
OP said:
MvC3-Gamestop accidently confirms Jill Valentine

>>>>>Gamestop accidently confirms Jill Valentine
>>>>confirms Jill Valentine
>>>Jill Valentine
>>MvC3
>Jill Valentine in MvC3

Aw skeet skeet skeet.

*pre-orders MvC3 while having a boner to this news*

Wait, DLC... I think I'll wait until she shows up in game before I buy it. I want my Team Biohazard (Chris/Wesker/Jill) all day every day... one.

Edit: Wait, Biohazard 5 outfitted Jill? FFFFFFF.jpg, I hope her S.T.A.R.S. outfit/MvC2 outfit is an alternate. >:|

And Phoenix and Edgeworth need to make it in, no She-HULK ending isn't worth mentioning. I want them in gameplay. >:|

duckroll said:
What I'm saying is, the reality is that there is no way Capcom can put every single character they have in the game. There will always be missing characters which fans really want. That was the case with MvC, MvC2, and TvC. The difference this time, is that the missing characters fans want can now be retroactively sold in future, adding to the game. I fail to see how this is a bad thing.
They could pack as many characters on the blu-ray, but it would be delayed to 2015 or beyond and even then, fans would still complain because it didn't have their favorite. At least with DLC, they could always add more.
I actually do want X in there and make a MegaMan team. =) They better add Strider in as DLC. Wtf Capcom?

duckroll

MvC has 22 chatacters, MvC2 has 56 characters, TvC has 26 characters, MvC3 has 36 characters without DLC (based on the leak). I really don't see why there should uproar over the fact that MvC3 has 36 characters and will have MORE via DLC. If you don't like the character offered, don't buy it. If you feel that such a system is too costly if you play competitively, then sure that's a valid complain too, don't buy the game. But I really fail to see how it's a bad thing at all. For the majority of people playing MvC3, DLC characters is basically a plus, pending the pricing and the quality of characters.

Top Bottom