• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My 15 years old cousin was destroyed by JonTron beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I always thought, "man, when I am older with teenage kids I will totally know what's going on, I am so up to date", but damn, I am so out of the loop with all these youtubers. Only time I realize they exist is when there is some big news.

I've gotten over it. I don't much care now.

I'm still wondering if dick pics are a real thing or if it's some sort of internet joke. I see the joke on Reddit all the time and I'm wondering if girls are getting unsolicited dick pics all the time like that would somehow woo them.

I've gotten over it. I don't much care now.

I'm still wondering if dick pics are a real thing or if it's some sort of internet joke. I see the joke on Reddit all the time and I'm wondering if girls are getting unsolicited dick pics all the time like that would somehow woo them.

Per my wife, yes, this actually happens. The stuff she would get back when she was online dating nearly drove her mad.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Send this story to Boogie and TotalBiscuit and Colin Moriarty (Who recently started following JT on twitter) and all the rest.

If you're a person with a platform, words have fucking power. Listen to Uncle Ben, you fucks.

Yup i agree, they have to know the consequences of their actions

Anticol

Banned
I am sorry to hear about your cousin mate, it sucks. But seriously it is hard to take the words of hate against inmigrants from a son of Iranians, and even more laughable hearing his argumebt of "immigrants damagin the gene pool" when he is an ugly fat neckbeard, like come on, he is the things that he hates.

I am sorry to hear about your cousin mate, it sucks. But seriously it is hard to take the words of hate against inmigrants from a son of Iranians, and even more laughable hearing his argumebt of "immigrants damagin the gene pool" when he is an ugly fat neckbeard, like come on, he is the things that he hates.

Then he is a Self-loathing maniac.

Per my wife, yes, this actually happens. The stuff she would get back when she was online dating nearly drove her mad.

Yo. My wife (and one male friend) would constantly have older men drive next to them while they walked or sat at a bus stop, and just whip it out and start tugging back when we were teens..Miami, Florida. I still can't wrap my head around it all these years later..like, who does that shit? It wasn't ever the same guy either!

SephiZack

This is why every time a gaffer posts "why should I care about what this YouTube says/does" I shake my head.

Many of these youtubers have a huge following of millions of people, mostly kids/teenagers who are easily impressed. They have a lot more influence than other forms of media for the older generations

WaterAstro

It's how it is now. Every day people becoming celebrities. Worshipped by the masses.

I think it's a good lesson for your cousin. Enjoy the entertainment, but don't fall for the acting.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is someone that she liked who came out as an asshole.

How hard is that to understand?

888.jpg

When being out of touch sneaks up on you.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Send this story to Boogie and TotalBiscuit and Colin Moriarty (Who recently started following JT on twitter) and all the rest.

If you're a person with a platform, words have fucking power. Listen to Uncle Ben, you fucks.

totalbiscuit is a gamergater, which tells you all you need to know about what a POS he is as well

Ethelwulf

Great post OP. And just look at YouTube's trending section. Full of shit. What it used to be a platform for sharing fun has now basically turn into an on-deman MTV. This is a serious issue.

I've seen it happen with other youtube/gaming personalities, but it always seemed like you could see how it happened.

This JonTron thing has been crushing. He was so damn good in his videos. Almost every one was going to be a hit.

Thankfully I dropped out when some of his earlier twitter comments, his sargon stream, and his argument with PBG happened, because it somehow got worse.

I always thought, "man, when I am older with teenage kids I will totally know what's going on, I am so up to date", but damn, I am so out of the loop with all these youtubers. Only time I realize they exist is when there is some big news.

Idk man, Jontron is decently old, I've both followed him for a long while and still feel utterly confused as to why certain youtubers are popular (although yeah, I recognize their influence, and why someone would want to spend hours watching LPs)

On the bright side PBG already clocked JonTron ass a few months prior to this whole mess.

And people got MAD at him for coming after JonTron because "he is mean to him" or "he was talking about illegal aliens, not syrian refugees" and my favorite "he is just in the post-bromance break-up phase"

This is one of the few bright spots to this whole mess. I'm safe in knowing he's good.

I'm making the same assumption about ProJared, and I'm hoping to dear god it's a safe one to make.

UrbanRats

The important lesson from this to stress to young, impressionable people is to danger of idolizing celebrities. Don't put them on a pedastal. You don't know them. Just because someone makes funny YouTube videos doesn't mean you should model your world views after him/her.

This should be pointed out to older people too, in my experience.
Cult of personality is a thing even among adults.

It's how it is now. Every day people becoming celebrities. Worshipped by the masses.

I think it's a good lesson for your cousin. Enjoy the entertainment, but don't fall for the acting.

That's not a good lesson when there are numerous celebrities who are good honest people. She shouldn't have to grow up thinking there are no role models among famous people.

I think more and more, the danger alarms start going off in my head when someone starts to get too into something, that, in the grand scheme of things, is barely a major controversy. Jontron with Blizzard last year is maybe a key example of what I'm talking about, looking back. Blizzard made a shitty move, but the way THAT was what Jontron had to make a separate video to speak from the heart about is.... strange?

Whenever I see someone who starts talking about gaming controversies so heavily, I just sort of blank out. I used to care more about the console wars, and keeping in tune with gaming news, until I lost the free time I used to have to play games.

It's almost ridiculous, and even disturbing, when you see people care so much about resolution, or console sales, or any of that other crap. When a company fucks up, yeah, call them out on it, but shit like crowning EA worst company of the year just demonstrates a complete lack of perspective. When a shitty article gets published, criticize it, sure, but sometimes there are just shitty articles that are published, either because the author isn't a good writer, didn't do his due research, etc. Sometimes the shitty article is entirely on the author, but it's yet another step to assume malicious intent. Sometimes a shitty article is a shitty article, and if it's about gaming, don't care so much about it.

TheMan

The good thing about YouTube is that it gives anyone a voice. The bad thing about YouTube is that it gives anyone a voice.

Your niece is learning an important lesson.

Thanks again guys. Honestly I don't know if is a good idea to send this thread to him, it's pretty much clear he doesn't give a shit after his "statement" video. Right now I'm more interested about what her friends at school will say today about this (99% sure they will don't care but anyway I'm glad she spread the message by herself).

Camwi

Sorry, OP. But at least the good news is she saw what was wrong with what this douchebag was saying, instead of just becoming a blind follower and sharing with his beliefs.

LakeEarth

I really enjoyed JonTron's older video (especially the Banjo Kazooie one), and am very disappointed on the direction he has gone. I hope he looks at this negative press and reflects on it, rather than see himself as a victim and dig himself even deeper.

Regarding the whole "I do not understand Youtube' thing, I once saw a video that was called "I am upset" and had 2 million views in 18 hours. Fucking ridiculous.

I think more and more, the danger alarms start going off in my head when someone starts to get too into something, that, in the grand scheme of things, is barely a major controversy. Jontron with Blizzard last year is maybe a key example of what I'm talking about, looking back. Blizzard made a shitty move, but the way THAT was what Jontron had to make a separate video to speak from the heart about is.... strange?

Whenever I see someone who starts talking about gaming controversies so heavily, I just sort of blank out. I used to care more about the console wars, and keeping in tune with gaming news, until I lost the free time I used to have to play games.

It's almost ridiculous, and even disturbing, when you see people care so much about resolution, or console sales, or any of that other crap. When a company fucks up, yeah, call them out on it, but shit like crowning EA worst company of the year just demonstrates a complete lack of perspective. When a shitty article gets published, criticize it, sure, but sometimes there are just shitty articles that are published, either because the author isn't a good writer, didn't do his due research, etc. Sometimes the shitty article is entirely on the author, but it's yet another step to assume malicious intent. Sometimes a shitty article is a shitty article, and if it's about gaming, don't care so much about it.
This is just getting older. Kids are stupid and focus on trivial shit. Adults are stupid and focus on trivial shit, too, but paying attention to the gaming fan universe definitely goes first when real life starts happening.

tci

Thanks for sharing your story. Some good perspective there.
That comment in the article, man that's just so bloody sad.

gizmodo_jontron_cousins_by_digi_matrix-db3aqzz.png

This and the OP have some really good points on the information kids/youth's get from YT. It is unfiltered "innocent" videos that without a doubt can affect them in a big way. I have a few cousins that lives on YT. Most, if not all of their info comes from that platform.

Recently I have been thinking a lot on how bad it can be. It is easy to share political and personals views with really no validation from sources etc. This is not the news media. Anyone can establish an audience and blatantly sway their personal and political views. It is a scary thought to have, to what this can lead to in the near future.

Kids shouldn't watch YouTube unmonitored, full stop. Parents expect it to be like commercial television, just another box to put them in front of, but it doesn't play by any of the expected rules. Your Minecraft streamer might think Anti-Semitism is hilarious, your Spider-Man and Elsa videos might have weird sex stuff in them, your toy videos might be sponsored ads.

NandoGip

Yeah he's just an example how the media that the youth consume is very different now. Obv thats the case with every generation, but i bet if i was 13 in 2017 id be watching these youtubers religiously and definitely being influenced by their actions

NandoGip

Kids shouldn't watch YouTube unmonitored, full stop. Parents expect it to be like commercial television, just another box to put them in front of, but it doesn't play by any of the expected rules. Your Minecraft streamer might think Anti-Semitism is hilarious, your Spider-Man and Elsa videos might have weird sex stuff in them, your toy videos might be sponsored ads.

Man, growing up I always thought I'd give my kids free reign mostly because I didn't think it could be that harmful but as I've grown up I start to understand that it might be okay for them to see a nipple or hear a "fuck, but I don't think I want them to be exposed to arguments in favor of racism until they're at least 18. I'll probably heavily restrict the internet for my kids until they're at least 13 when the day comes

marrec

Banned

It's rough being a parent these days, with access to information as it is you know. You can carefully monitor and control content access at home but your kid has friends who have mobile devices and they're going to eventually be exposed to something that you would absolutely not let them see if it were up to you.

So you gotta just prepare them for it, so that when they do see that stuff they make the right decisions afterwards. Still though... it's difficult.

Sblargh

Banned
Man, growing up I always thought I'd give my kids free reign mostly because I didn't think it could be that harmful but as I've grown up I start to understand that it might be okay for them to see a nipple or hear a "fuck, but I don't think I want them to be exposed to arguments in favor of racism until they're at least 18. I'll probably heavily restrict the internet for my kids until they're at least 13 when the day comes

Yeah, when we were growing up, our parents would try to hide sex and violence (mostly sex) from us, not ideological content.

It's a very weird situation, I never thought I would be victim of "won't someone think of the children?", but I also never thought I woudld have to protect my 8 year old niece from nazi propaganda inserted into let's play videos of minecraft. Like, I'm pretty good at predicting internet trends, but it really never crossed my mind, say, 5 or 6 years ago, that today I would see my niece with her phone watching a minecraft video and be thinking "is she going to be exposed to a racist propagandist?"
-
I think it's a situation that will kind of correct itself, tho, as youtubers begin to realize and agree with Jim that, if they want a shot at that youtuber fame and fortune, they have to be clean, because the shit they say matter.
There's the occasional super edgelord cool guy freedom of speech nazi fighter who feels like a victim because he can't be racist without people talking back, but I think most youtubers who dream of fame are looking at the Pewhatever guy losing contracts and thinking "welp, I better have a modicum of common sense and self control"

OP, you seem like a great cousin ! Maybe try to introduce new youtubers to her ? Or help her discover more stuff that she might not know about the hobby ?

Also, your english is great for someone who never had an english class.

Banned
Sometimes I forget how YouTube is raising kids now instead of television. These YouTubers are the new role models of the generation (not by choice) .

Feel bad for your cousin OP.

marrec

Banned
I think it's a situation that will kind of correct itself, tho, as youtubers begin to realize and agree with Jim that, if they want a shot at that youtuber fame and fortune, they have to be clean, because the shit they say matter.
There's the occasional super edgelord cool guy freedom of speech nazi fighter who feels like a victim because he can't be racist without people talking back, but I think most youtubers who dream of fame are looking at the Pewhatever guy losing contracts and thinking "welp, I better have a modicum of common sense and self control"

Problem is that this isn't happening in the sterilized environment of NeoGAF. Future YouTubers are likely being more influenced by current YouTubers who mostly seem to rally around assholes. They see lots of thumbs ups and posts defending the assholes (on YouTube) and think "okay so apparently if you want an audience you need to be extra racist".

Of course, that's not how the world works, but they aren't going to college to get an MBA before launching their primordial YouTube career. They're likely just going to try to emulate who they were influenced by. The only way you could effective use pressure to change this course would be for ad-buyers to pull ads from YouTube so much that Google has to respond with better moderation... but I don't see that happening in the near future.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Thanks for sharing your story. Some good perspective there.

This and the OP have some really good points on the information kids/youth's get from YT. It is unfiltered "innocent" videos that without a doubt can affect them in a big way. I have a few cousins that lives on YT. Most, if not all of their info comes from that platform.

Recently I have been thinking a lot on how bad it can be. It is easy to share political and personals views with really no validation from sources etc. This is not the news media. Anyone can establish an audience and blatantly sway their personal and political views. It is a scary thought to have, to what this can lead to in the near future.

Ugh...between this and the comments on YouTube videos....

YouTube was a mistake.

Even though I'm not a fan of his art/channel. More youtube personalities need to be like Dan from game grumps. Super chill, and understanding dude. I also bet Arin is happy that they have dan more than ever atm.

RinsFury

Is JonTron still making money from youtube? That would be completely unacceptable if true, his channel needs to be stripped of all ad revenue if not banned.

Flo_Evans

Its pretty nuts. My one kid watches this channel that is just some dude mowing lawns. They really like the fake nerf gun battles too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom