• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My 15 years old cousin was destroyed by JonTron beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesoian

Is JonTron still making money from youtube? That would be completely unacceptable if true, his channel needs to be stripped of all ad revenue if not banned.

Vile as it is, nothing he's said or done violates Youtube's S&P. If you don't want him to make money, don't watch his channel and convince others to do the same.

There are a lot of people making more money saying worse things on youtube than JonTron.

I've gotten over it. I don't much care now.

I'm still wondering if dick pics are a real thing or if it's some sort of internet joke. I see the joke on Reddit all the time and I'm wondering if girls are getting unsolicited dick pics all the time like that would somehow woo them.
Ask any woman, especially if they're on a dating service, and you'll know dick pics are very real and common.

I made a thread about how Whitney Bell made an art gallery or the unsolicited dick pics she got.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=201132770
this-woman-turned-her-collection-of-unsolicited-dick-pics-into-an-art-show-body-image-1460748299.jpg

Much love to you, OP. You did the right thing and you're a good person. Hopefully she learns something valuable from this experience.

I'm also glad this wasn't a thread about JT's views rubbing off on her. Phew.

Kthulhu

It's infuriating that they give this racist piece of shit a platform to make money.

It is. Sadly, YouTube has a virtual monopoly on video sharing, so until that changes or they get pressured by the people who matter to them (advertisers) then probably won't do anything.

It's like whiplashing inducing to read this thread and then go to the comments section anywhere else on the internet, where the JonTron defense force is out in full regalia. Although most of them pretend they've never heard of him, they just really think the company should be boycotted for replacing him.

Mr. X

Why does gaming attract these type of degenerates? And why do feel the need to be so vocal about it? I'm curious. I feel the they're vocal because there isn't any strong punishment against it.

Why does gaming attract these type of degenerates? And why do feel the need to be so vocal about it? I'm curious. I feel the they're vocal because there isn't any strong punishment against it.
I don't think gaming attracts them any more than any other social circle where people nearly exclusively interact with the real world online through only the URLs they purposely visit and the people with which they purposely surround themselves.

However general gaming communities do skew younger and male, which gives you the fun that only comes from ignorant yet stubborn 10 to 30 year old dudes always ready to be right in every place they go on the Internet, despite never doing honest, independent research on whatever they're mad about.

SomTervo

We are not from the US, so I tried to explain to her (in the most easiest way possible) the political situation of the country. Definitely something in her died today. It was a call to reality. She will talk about this in her class for sure tomorrow.

Fuck, one of those days. Brutal when you experience it yourself, even more brutal when you see it happen to someone else and you watch the real-time face-drop.

Christ.

Good on you for being there for her, OP.

SomTervo

I've gotten over it. I don't much care now.

I'm still wondering if dick pics are a real thing or if it's some sort of internet joke. I see the joke on Reddit all the time and I'm wondering if girls are getting unsolicited dick pics all the time like that would somehow woo them.

Just because you literally never see them doesn't mean they aren't literally sent without solicitation by men to women on a literally daily basis

And I don't mean 'literally' in the newer, atrophied sense

Alfredo

I legit teared up reading this. I can only imagine how awful I would feel if I was young and heard one of my idols talking trash about people, especially if I happened to fall in the group they were talking trash about.

DJKhaled

I really enjoyed JonTron's older video (especially the Banjo Kazooie one), and am very disappointed on the direction he has gone. I hope he looks at this negative press and reflects on it, rather than see himself as a victim and dig himself even deeper.

Regarding the whole "I do not understand Youtube' thing, I once saw a video that was called "I am upset" and had 2 million views in 18 hours. Fucking ridiculous.

Look at the tweets his liked on twitter since it all went down, he isn't reflecting on it at all, he is still seeing himself as a victim and sticking to his beliefs.

mrkgoo

I don't know who this jontrin is, but I think I got the idea from your post.

You and your cousin are awesome.

You: because you articulate well, and have compassion for your cousin.

Your cousin: because she asked the right questions when presented some undesirable facts about her hero instead of just following them. Sh has a mind of her own.

Lev

Is JonTron still making money from youtube? That would be completely unacceptable if true, his channel needs to be stripped of all ad revenue if not banned.

Fortunately, some good news is here:

Paste Magazine

Two years after inviting him to provide voiceover work for the still-forthcoming Yooka-Laylee, developer Playtonic has decided to remove popular YouTuber JonTron’s material from the game via a day-one patch.

If you know who JonTron (real name: Jon Jafari) is, you probably know that a lot people are angry with him for recently saying some racist things online. If you’re not familiar with him, this Gizmodo article provides a pretty detailed account of what he said.

Playtonic told GamesIndustry.biz today in a statement, “We recently became aware of comments made by voice artist JonTron after development on Yooka-Laylee had been completed.” Their statement continued:

JonTron is a talented video presenter who we were initially, two years ago, happy to include as a voice contributor in our game. However, in light of his recent personal viewpoints we have made the decision to remove JonTron’s inclusion in the game via a forthcoming content update. We would like to make absolutely clear that we do not endorse or support JonTron’s personal viewpoints and that, as an external fan contributor, he does not represent Playtonic in any capacity. Playtonic is a studio that celebrates diversity in all forms and strives to make games that everyone can enjoy. As such, we deeply regret any implied association that could make players feel anything but 100% comfortable in our game worlds, or distract from the incredible goodwill and love shown by our fans and Kickstarter backers.

Jafari has since claimed that his words were misconstrued or taken out of context, and that he couldn’t possibly be anti-immigrant because he’s the child of Iranian and Hungarian immigrants. Form your own opinions on his statement by watching it here, if you want.

Yooka-Laylee is the spiritual successor to the Banjo-Kazooie games, and was developed by a number of key team members that worked on the latter series at Rare in the ‘90s. After a successful Kickstarter campaign two years ago, the game is finally coming to PS4, Xbox One, PC, Mac, Linux and the Nintendo Switch on April 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom