• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My attempt at an Evolution thread! OhgodwhatamIdoing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxword

Wazzim said:
The real question is, where did life come from?

A very good question!

What if we were to take humans apart down to the molecular level. Hydrogen, carbon, break everyone down to their components. I mean, without water, we're just a pile of dust.

Humans are a combination of electrical impulses and chemicals.

This isn't to degrade the value of life at all, it's a celebration that this particular unique combination is what makes all of us, well, alive. We should be grateful to even exist, that this unique and wonderful combination came together to make us the walking talking formation of atoms that we are.

A bucket of paint cans, some paper and some wood are just things. You can mix those things 1000000000 different ways and it's just a mess. But combine them in just that RIGHT way, and you have a great work of art and beauty.

That's life.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Jasup said:
I'd also recommend to see the lecture "Genesis" by Robert Hazen ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrMuFpGlcpk ) which I think could serve as a good short introduction into this issue.
At the 45 minute mark, his slide says that, "RNA is an implausible prebiotic molecule, because there's no known way to synthesize it in a prebiotic environment." I realize that the presentation was from 2008, but didn't we discover a prebiotic provenance of RNA since then? This article claims:

For a long time the synthesis of RNA monomers under prebiotic conditions appeared to be a fundamental problem since the condensation of sugar (ribose) and nucleobase (purines and pyrimidines) does not work (Orgel, 2004). The prebiotic synthesis of purine ribonucleotides is still unclear, yet recently a breakthrough has been made with regard to the synthesis of pyrimidine ribonucleotide monomers (which incorporate cytosine and uracil). It now appears in principle to be solved, in a completely unexpected manner. The study by the group of John Sutherland (Powner et al. 2009) shows how nature could have spontaneously assembled pyrimidine ribonucleotide monomers from prebiotically plausible molecules through intermediates that contribute atoms to both the sugar and base portions of the ribonucleotides, thus avoiding a condensation step of sugar and base altogether (Fig.1). See also Nature News for the impact of these findings. While a good pathway for synthesis of purine ribonucleotides (incorporating adenine and guanine) still remains to be found, Jack Szostak argues in a comment accompanying the article (Szostak 2009) that “it is precisely because this work opens up so many new directions for research that it will stand for years as one of the great advances in prebiotic chemistry”.

Mgoblue201

I'd like to post some of the interesting articles that have been written over the past week:

1. Jonathan Eisen of UC Davis explores the possibility of new domains of life. A domain is essentially the highest rank of taxonomic classification, derived in the 1990s, that encompasses all of known life. It's just above kingdom and only includes three main classifications: bacteria, archaea, and eukaryotes. Eisen and colleagues present evidence of a possible fourth domain. As Carl Zimmer explains:

Their evidence comes from a voyage Craig Venter and his colleagues took in his yacht, scooping up sea water along the way. They ripped open the microbes in the water and pulled out all their genes. The advantage of this approach is that it allowed the scientists to amass a database of literally tens of millions of new genes. The downside was that they could only look at the isolated genes, rather than the living microbes from which they came.

They looked at certain segments such as subunit rRNA, recA, and rpoB to discover relatedness between species. Needless to say, they found certain genes that were quite different than anything that exists in the present three domains. For his part, Eisen demures from a clear conclusion and seems to think that novel viruses are the answer:

We do not have a conclusive explanation for the origin of these sequences. They may be from novel viruses. The may be ancient paralogs of the marker genes. Or they may be from a new branch of cellular organisms in the tree of life, distinct from bacteria, archaea or eukaryotes. I think most likely they are from novel viruses. But we just don't know.

Viruses themselves can be very diverse and unique. Zimmer says that scientists recently discovered new viruses that are about the size of bacteria (viruses are typically less than a micrometer in length, whereas bacteria are more than a micrometer) and contain more than a thousand genes, vs. the ten genes in a flu virus. Life appears to be even more diverse with each subsequent discovery.

2. The NY Times recently ran a series of articles pertaining to animals. Zimmer, as usual, has the most interesting, as he writes about the evolution of animals. I can't pick out any one part of it: he talks about the origin of multi-cellular organisms, potential sources of diversity, and the relative simplicity of the first animals.

Sean Carroll also discusses mutations and cats.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Thanks for the articles Mgoblue (You need to change it to Mogblue so it's easier to remember) I've only read one so far, but it's fascinating stuff, the idea of a new 'domain' is almost intimidating. But really, the categorization of species has always seemed a bit ambiguous to me anyway.

Right now I am looking into mutations that 'surface' long since 'dormant' genes. Example, tails in humans, leg-nubs in whales, etc. Does anyone have a database or any articles I can look into? In particular I wanted to see if apes have been known to present 4 nipples - as far as I know our genetic ancestors did?

Raist

Banned
Kinitari said:
Thanks for the articles Mgoblue (You need to change it to Mogblue so it's easier to remember) I've only read one so far, but it's fascinating stuff, the idea of a new 'domain' is almost intimidating. But really, the categorization of species has always seemed a bit ambiguous to me anyway.

Right now I am looking into mutations that 'surface' long since 'dormant' genes. Example, tails in humans, leg-nubs in whales, etc. Does anyone have a database or any articles I can look into? In particular I wanted to see if apes have been known to present 4 nipples - as far as I know our genetic ancestors did?

Depends what you mean by ancestors. As far as I know OW monkeys all have 2 nipples, not sure about NW but I think it's the same, and some lemurs only have two as well.

KtSlime

Raist said:
Depends what you mean by ancestors. As far as I know OW monkeys all have 2 nipples, not sure about NW but I think it's the same, and some lemurs only have two as well.

All platyrrhines have 2 nipples, the only primates with more are the aye aye and various mouse lemurs.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
ivedoneyourmom said:
All platyrrhines have 2 nipples, the only primates with more are the aye aye and various mouse lemurs.

Raist said:

Cool Cool, guess I was misinformed, probably why I couldn't find anything about that. Still, I've been doing some useful reading - chicken teeth and all that.

Mgoblue201

Kinitari said:

That's called an atavism. Nature and Talk Origins both have in depth explanations. The Wikipedia page gives several more examples. You can probably find more with a Google search.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Mgoblue201 said:
That's called an atavism. Nature and Talk Origins both have in depth explanations. The Wikipedia page gives several more examples. You can probably find more with a Google search.

Thanks for the links, very informative and it's nice having a new word in my vocabulary. It even led me to stumble across the multiple breast thing - which apparently is a form of Atavism. But what's weird is that I am seeing no explanation, as far as I've looked into, none of our mammalian ancestors had multiple breasts. I'll do some more reading, thanks again for the links Mog.

Mgoblue201

It appears that, according to Scientific American, a set of 18 human footprints have been found molded into volcanic ash around Lake Natron in northern Tanzania dating back to about 120,000 years ago.

footprintnatron.jpg

No reports of dinosaur footprints accompanying them.

Anyway, it has been more than a month and I am still awaiting a reply from mclaren777, who claimed that he would get back to me. It seems that Sanky Panky and JCRedeems have also absconded from this thread after questioning certain aspects of evolution.

Dead Man

Mgoblue201 said:
It appears that, according to Scientific American, a set of 18 human footprints have been found molded into volcanic ash around Lake Natron in northern Tanzania dating back to about 120,000 years ago.

http://whyevolutionistrue.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/footprintnatron.jpg[IMG]

[B]No reports of dinosaur footprints accompanying them.[/B]

Anyway, it has been more than a month and I am still awaiting a reply from mclaren777, who claimed that he would get back to me. It seems that Sanky Panky and JCRedeems have also absconded from this thread after questioning certain aspects of evolution.[/QUOTE]
:lol

Cool stuff though.

mclaren777

Mgoblue201 said:
Anyway, it has been more than a month and I am still awaiting a reply from mclaren777, who claimed that he would get back to me.
What was I supposed to get back to you about? I'm afraid that I don't remember now.

Mgoblue201 said:

footprintnatron.jpg

No reports of dinosaur footprints accompanying them.

Anyway, it has been more than a month and I am still awaiting a reply from mclaren777, who claimed that he would get back to me. It seems that Sanky Panky and JCRedeems have also absconded from this thread after questioning certain aspects of evolution.

lol 120000 is nothing age wise.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
crazy monkey said:
lol 120000 is nothing age wise.

I mean, yeah, but it's more than 6,000 years - I think that's what he was getting at. This is probably in response to some young-earth creationists claims.

Mgoblue201

I'm not quite sure what the dominant theory of human migration is, but those footprints appear to occur from the time that man began to leave Africa. Yet Tanzania had probably been populated by humans long before that.
mclaren777 said:
What was I supposed to get back to you about? I'm afraid that I don't remember now.
The posts are here and extend back a few pages beyond that. The fact that you were intending to respond was obviously implied in the post on that page.
Kinitari said:
I mean, yeah, but it's more than 6,000 years - I think that's what he was getting at. This is probably in response to some young-earth creationists claims.
112gykn.jpg

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Mgoblue201 said:
I'm not quite sure what the dominant theory of human migration is, but those footprints appear to occur from the time that man began to leave Africa. Yet Tanzania had probably been populated by humans long before that.

That's interesting, if this is accurate, does anyone have any idea as to how far off the mark we've been?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Raist said:
Off the mark? IIRC humans left Africa around 70,000 years ago.

No, you're right, in my head I was thinking they all left Africa and never came back over 100000 years ago.... I'm tired, i'm studying a lot.

May be it was posted before but came across this
" al-Jahiz (c. 776-869) was the first of the Muslim biologists and philosophers to develop an early theory of evolution.

"Animals engage in a struggle for existence; for resources, to avoid being eaten and to breed. Environmental factors influence organisms to develop new characteristics to ensure survival, thus transforming into new species. Animals that survive to breed can pass on their successful characteristics to offspring."

but if you go looking for history of evolution theory topic most of them will stat that the the topic started in Europe around 1600 AD.

Dead Man

crazy monkey said:
May be it was posted before but came across this
" al-Jahiz (c. 776-869) was the first of the Muslim biologists and philosophers to develop an early theory of evolution.

"Animals engage in a struggle for existence; for resources, to avoid being eaten and to breed. Environmental factors influence organisms to develop new characteristics to ensure survival, thus transforming into new species. Animals that survive to breed can pass on their successful characteristics to offspring."

but if you go looking for history of evolution theory topic most of them will stat that the the topic started in Europe around 1600 AD.
A lot of European science was influenced by Islamic scholars from earlier periods. Didn't know about this though, kind of cool.

Wikipedia has this to say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_evolutionary_thought

Evolutionary thought, the conception that species change over time, has roots in antiquity, in the ideas of the ancient Greeks, Romans, and Chinese as well as in medieval Islamic science. However, until the 18th century, Western biological thinking was dominated by essentialism, the belief that every species has essential characteristics that are unalterable. This began to change during the Enlightenment when evolutionary cosmology and the mechanical philosophy spread from the physical sciences to natural history. Naturalists began to focus on the variability of species; the emergence of paleontology with the concept of extinction further undermined the static view of nature. In the early 19th century, Jean-Baptiste Lamarck proposed his theory of the transmutation of species, the first fully formed scientific theory of evolution.

The first Muslim biologist and philosopher to publish detailed speculations about natural history, the Afro-Arab writer al-Jahiz, wrote in the 9th century. In the Book of Animals, he considered the effects of the environment on an animal's chances for survival, and described the struggle for existence.[16] Al-Jahiz also wrote descriptions of food chains.[17] Al-Jahiz speculated on the influence of the environment on animals and considered the effects of the environment on the likelihood of an animal to survive. For example, Al-Jahiz's wrote in his Book of Animals: "All animals, in short, can not exist without food, neither can the hunting animal escape being hunted in his turn. Every weak animal devours those weaker than itself. Strong animals cannot escape being devoured by other animals stronger than they"

Dead Man

crazy monkey said:
the reason why i mentioned is that you will not hear this names when learning in school.
Well, yeah, but you won't hear ANYONE except Darwins, and sometimes Lamarcks name when learning in school, unless you are taking a history course.

Mgoblue201

Dead Man said:
A lot of European science was influenced by Islamic scholars from earlier periods. Didn't know about this though, kind of cool.

Wikipedia has this to say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_evolutionary_thought
Several ancient philosophers, including Anaximander, Herodotus, and Lucretius, had posited something like the mutability of living forms, albeit with a lot of ancient myth mixed in. I admit that I have not heard of al-Jahiz until now, but someone said - I forget the provenance of the quote - that it was surprising it took so long for evolutionary thought to gain ground. I would hypothesize a few reasons why it took until the 19th century. 1. The emergence of geology. Having millions of years and the fossil record to work with greatly ushered in acceptance of evolution. Almost all of the best evidence has only been unearthed in the last 130 to 140 years. 2. The ability to travel. Darwin's own thoughts were motivated by his voyage aboard the Beagle, and he devoted a few chapters to geographical distribution in Origins, which ended up being incredibly powerful evidence for evolution.

In fact, Origins is a really remarkable book, despite its imperfections, and probably why, beyond even the idea of natural selection, he is remembered as such an eminent scientist.

Mgoblue201

Here's a map from National Geographic, beginning about 100,000 years ago:

080221-human-genetics_big.jpg

Yellow is mitochondrial, blue is Y-chromosome.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So I was thinking today about 'obvious' speciation and 'transitional' creatures. While the term species and transitional are completely human construct, I was thinking more along the lines of "What could I show someone who was doubting, that said "Hey, look, isn't this what you wanted to see?"".

So I was thinking about land-mammals to ocean dwelling mammals. I know there are a lot of transitional fossils that show the departure from land to sea - and I have discussed that with people, but sometimes even then I get things like "How am I supposed to believe fossil evidence?".

So, I was thinking in terms of a transitional species - in a sense that adheres to the term having any sort of importance - seals. Seals are essentially creatures that 'look' like they would be transitional between a land mammal and a sea mammal.

But that's still not good enough for me, I want to have more in my quiver to pull out when need be. What else can people think of, animals that are currently alive that 'look' like 'transitional species'?

ianp622

Kinitari said:
So I was thinking today about 'obvious' speciation and 'transitional' creatures. While the term species and transitional are completely human construct, I was thinking more along the lines of "What could I show someone who was doubting, that said "Hey, look, isn't this what you wanted to see?"".

So I was thinking about land-mammals to ocean dwelling mammals. I know there are a lot of transitional fossils that show the departure from land to sea - and I have discussed that with people, but sometimes even then I get things like "How am I supposed to believe fossil evidence?".

So, I was thinking in terms of a transitional species - in a sense that adheres to the term having any sort of importance - seals. Seals are essentially creatures that 'look' like they would be transitional between a land mammal and a sea mammal.

But that's still not good enough for me, I want to have more in my quiver to pull out when need be. What else can people think of, animals that are currently alive that 'look' like 'transitional species'?
I'm not sure you should really spend your time trying to convince people. Often people don't believe evolution is the most accurate description of how things actually happened because of a combination of ulterior motives and a misunderstanding of what constitutes evidence.

For example, people will ask for transitional fossils, but the reason they aren't satisfied is because they have their own concept of what a transitional fossil is, and what you show doesn't match it.

Here's an example (I think it was posted earlier) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxGDXSJZfc&feature=feedwll

And even if you show transitional fossils, some people will simply see more gaps, and then ask for more transitional fossils, until you get to a point where the transitions are small enough that a typical person will identify changes as merely small, insignificant changes, and won't realize where you just brought them conceptually.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
ianp622 said:
I'm not sure you should really spend your time trying to convince people. Often people don't believe evolution is the most accurate description of how things actually happened because of a combination of ulterior motives and a misunderstanding of what constitutes evidence.

For example, people will ask for transitional fossils, but the reason they aren't satisfied is because they have their own concept of what a transitional fossil is, and what you show doesn't match it.

Here's an example (I think it was posted earlier) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxGDXSJZfc&feature=feedwll

And even if you show transitional fossils, some people will simply see more gaps, and then ask for more transitional fossils, until you get to a point where the transitions are small enough that a typical person will identify changes as merely small, insignificant changes, and won't realize where you just brought them conceptually.

It's not so much that I am trying to 'convince' people - I understand that those who I debate with, more often than not, are not going to change their opinion. Sometimes however, when I debate, I have an audience - people who sometimes aren't really well versed or understand evolution so much, maybe who don't feel as though they can lean in one particular direction over the other, I'd feel better if I presented a stronger argument for their sake (I recognize that to present the strongest argument in regards to speciation and transitional, I should debate the misunderstanding of the terms, but I do that anyway - when I use it in a debate however, it feels like a cop out).

ianp622

Kinitari said:
It's not so much that I am trying to 'convince' people - I understand that those who I debate with, more often than not, are not going to change their opinion. Sometimes however, when I debate, I have an audience - people who sometimes aren't really well versed or understand evolution so much, maybe who don't feel as though they can lean in one particular direction over the other, I'd feel better if I presented a stronger argument for their sake (I recognize that to present the strongest argument in regards to speciation and transitional, I should debate the misunderstanding of the terms, but I do that anyway - when I use it in a debate however, it feels like a cop out).
Oh ok, well this might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o92x6AvxCFg

Whales still have hip bones that aren't used anymore, so you don't even need to rely on fossil evidence.

Dead Man

Kinitari said:

Well, sticking with water mammals, dugongs and manatees are great examples, they still have fingernails, and mostly walk along the bottom on their front flippers. There are cormorants on the Galapagos that have lost the ability to fly but retain their wings, they are similar to penguins in that they swim in the ocean and eat fish, but they are not much more adapted for that than normal cormorants. Many species of salamander have vestigial or no limbs, even though the base form has limbs. And of course, there are many types of fish that can breath air to different degrees. I don't know if those were exactly what you were looking for, but maybe they were.

pootle

Just finished watching inside the human body on bbc1. To go with it there's a page on the bbc website explaining how the traces of our fishy ancestors cause problems for us today, including why 1 in 700 babies have cleft lips or palates.

I think it might be useful when trying to explain how our design really isn't very intelligent.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13278255

pootle said:
Just finished watching inside the human body on bbc1. To go with it there's a page on the bbc website explaining how the traces of our fishy ancestors cause problems for us today, including why 1 in 700 babies have cleft lips or palates.

I think it might be useful when trying to explain how our design really isn't very intelligent.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13278255

Fascinating stuff. I knew about the hiccups and tadpoles, though I forget where I read it.

Angry Fork

This hasn't been bumped in a while but I figure it's best to ask here, I have a couple simple questions. Basically humans and chimpanzee's have both descended from a common ancestor correct? I just would like to know if a name was given to this common ancestor so that you could say that name instead of just saying 'common ancestor' all the time, or what it would look like and so on, is it like a hybrid of both human + chimp or caveman or something?

Mike M

Nick N
Angry Fork said:
This hasn't been bumped in a while but I figure it's best to ask here, I have a couple simple questions. Basically humans and chimpanzee's have both descended from a common ancestor correct? I just would like to know if a name was given to this common ancestor so that you could say that name instead of just saying 'common ancestor' all the time, or what it would look like and so on, is it like a hybrid of both human + chimp or caveman or something?
It doesn't have a name, since new species are named by the discoverer, and it hasn't been discovered.

As to what it would look like, no one knows. Probably closer to half chimp/half gorilla than half chimp/half human.

Mgoblue201

Angry Fork said:
This hasn't been bumped in a while but I figure it's best to ask here, I have a simple question. Basically humans and chimpanzee's have both descended from a common ancestor correct? I just would like to know if a name was given to this common ancestor so that you could say that name instead of just saying 'common ancestor' all the time, or what it would look like and so on, is it like a hybrid of both human + chimp or caveman or something?
Since species are always branching off, it's difficult to identify the last "true" common ancestor (if we ever manage to find it). This Wikipedia article should help. However, I admit that I haven't really given the topic much thought. Most of the fervor related to human evolution is concentrated on Australopithecus and onward. Reading up it a little, it doesn't appear that there is a clear answer to your question.

Angry Fork

Is that because we haven't found the fossils or something for such a creature or is it absolutely impossible to physically find remains of that ancestor?

edit - thanks @ 2nd reply.

I'm just interested mainly because I feel like it's important to know where we've descended from but everywhere I read it just says common ancestor without much information about it lol. Maybe it's not that important though? Just the fact that we know it existed is enough? I'm not sure.

Mike M

Nick N
Angry Fork said:
Is that because we haven't found the fossils or something for such a creature or is it absolutely impossible to physically find remains of that ancestor?
We haven't found any fossils (or at least identified any as possible candidates.)

It's not impossible, but we may never actually succeed in finding it.

Mgoblue201

As I understand it, it would be hard to identify a last common ancestor anyway. How do you distinguish between two related species, one that met an evolutionary dead end and another that branched off to form other species? I'm not aware of how to distinguish between the two. Biologists are still debating the significance of homo erectus, I believe, in the context of hominid evolution. It probably makes more sense to identify a last common genera.

Mgoblue201

With so much interesting evolution news lately, I feel compelled to bump this.

First, A. sediba may be closer to modern humans than previously thought:
Fossils of the new species, Australopithecus sediba, were discovered in 2008 in a cave in South Africa. Initial research, led by Lee Berger of the University of the Witwatersrand, in Johannesburg, concluded that the species came too late in the fossil record to be the ancestor of the Homo lineage. This week, however, a range of new research into sediba, again led by Dr Berger, has been published in Science. These studies conclude that sediba did in fact predate Homo erectus and, moreover, that parts of its anatomy are surprisingly similar to modern man.

As Amirox posted in the other thread, paleontologists have discovered a new species of Devonian fish:
Scientists at the Academy of Natural Sciences, on Logan Circle in Philadelphia, are part of a team announcing the recent discovery of a species of lumbering fish that preceded the dinosaurs.

A sample of Laccognathus embryi. (Academy of Natural Sciences)

It's genus is Laccognathus ("pitted jaw"), it's species embryi (in honor of a Canadian geologist named Embry). Numerous fossil heads and other parts of this prehistoric fish were found far north of the Arctic Circle, says Academy paleontologist Dr. Ted Daeschler.

"Laccognathus is a large fish, five to six feet in length. (It) probably prowled freshwater steams and delta systems," he says. "Flat head, very small eyes, very big mouth, very big teeth."

Laccognathus embryi is estimated to have lived 375 million years ago — prior to animals being on land but during a time of transition. Laccognathus apparently had fins that were more like limbs, perhaps indicating its role in the evolution of water-based swimmers to land-based walkers.

"The Devonian Period was a turning point in the history of the Earth, and our studies of the fossil fish from that period really help us understand the evolution of the Earth and the life that lived on it," Daeschler says.

But he says the Academy of Natural Sciences is not quite ready to display its Laccognathus yet.

Finally, what appears to be dinosaur feathers from the late Cretaceous have been found encased in amber:
Researchers led by University of Alberta paleontologist Ryan McKellar say these specimens represent distinct stages of feather evolution, from early-stage, single filament protofeathers to much more complex structures associated with modern diving birds. After analyzing the preserved pigment cells, the authors add that these feathered creatures may have also had a range of transparent, mottled, and diffused colors, similar to birds today. They can't determine which feathers belonged to birds or dinosaurs yet, but they did observe filament structures that are similar to those seen in other non-avian dinosaur fossils. Their findings appear in the current issue of the journal Science.

Log4Girlz

I can never understand how someone cannot understand evolution and come to the logical conclusion that it alone explains the diversity of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom