• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My brother is a massive racist, and I feel broken

Artdayne

Have your brother watch, or trick him into going to Jane Elliott's Blue Eye/Brown Eye experiment. Look it up if you're not familiar with it, I still get shaken up when I watch it sometimes.

RedZaraki

Banned
Seems reasonable. I bet he would change immediately after that happened.

Sarcasm?

The lesson is never talk like that in front of me again. Nobody can control someone's thoughts, but I can sure as shit make sure his expression of that idiocy is heavily, HEAVILY punished.

I've already had this conversation with him for other things.

"Bro, if I ever find out you're doing drugs, I'm going to beat the shit out of you."

To this day he's never done a single drug, and I've never had to beat his ass.

KrellRell

Sarcasm?

The lesson is never talk like that in front of me again. Nobody can control someone's thoughts, but I can sure as shit make sure his expression of that idiocy is heavily, HEAVILY punished.

"Bro, if I ever find out you're doing drugs, I'm going to beat the shit out of you."

I hope this is a joke, otherwise I feel bad for your bro. Controlling someone by threatening physical abuse, you're fucked.

Honestly, your brother isn't going to hangs his views until he is put into a situation where he HAS to change his views, which means you only have a couple of options:

- Convince your parents to start punishing your brother until he stops being racist.
- Force/convince your brother into a situation where he has to choose between his racism or his own safety.

Still advocating for violence against conservatives, huh?

Sarcasm?

Hahaha bruh are you for real

Mesoian

if your brother becomes a racist , fighting him will do jack shit. wtf

Ya'll are getting the threat of physical violence, one that is faecious at best, confused with the idea of a fight being the act of verbally confronting someone expecting a rough and resistant time.

To the point where I think 70% of the people on this page are trolling.

RedZaraki

Banned
Hahaha bruh are you for real

It's not any different that other forms of tough love.

It's out of respect...

I welcome any friend to punch me in the mouth the moment I become a self-destructive idiot. Sometimes that's the only wake-up call that works.

if your brother becomes a racist , fighting him will do jack shit. wtf

If your brother broke your favorite guitar, and you beat the crap out of him for it, would he do it again? Not likely.

KrellRell

It's not any different that other forms of tough love.

I welcome any friend to punch me in the mouth the moment I become a self-destructive idiot. Sometimes that's the only wake-up call that works.

If your brother broke your favorite guitar, and you beat the crap out of him for it, would he do it again? Not likely.

I guess we'll have to disagree that physical violence is a solution.

How many racists have you converted with this approach?

Isn't my job to insist reason, intelligence, compassion from another adult. There are professionals out there more capable than me who are better trained and equipped in dealing with borderline sociopaths. Now with family I'll listen to what they have to say, give my own opinion about their bullshit, and then lastly establish certain guidelines on what to say and not say when they're around me again but if they cross that clearly defined line, I'm done barring any personal or family emergency. I try to surround myself with positive, open-minded people because one thing I've learned is the other kind will bring your energy down and fuck you all up.

n0razi

How do you guys deal, emotionally, when faced with this level of hatred from someone you thought you were close to?

Pretty much...

fb0.jpg

Dehnus

Still advocating for violence against conservatives, huh?

Yup, as long as they advocate violence against the poor and minorities.

As that is what they do, no matter how they try to sell it. I mean why would you keep a "Health Care Act" secret? Knowing very well that people are stressing out over it, scared shitless that their cancer treatment or medication is no longer covered or they just get premiums they can't afford. The stress alone kills dozens! And that's before it is even a law. Wait until it's active, then they'll basically have caused a genocide, for a few tax cuts to the rich.

But hey, stay "in the middle" and be "reasonable" to these killers. I for one will not apologize to these fuckers and their snowflake attitude. Any little pointing finger to them causes them to cry and go "FULL ATTACK RAAAGE!" and their usual: Always attack never defend shit.

While they themselves are allowed to call black people, Gay people, Trans people and women any fucking thing they want.

So FUCK the conservative, fuck em all to death! Until their rhetoric changes, I'll have no problem with a left wing version of Mr. Garrison. I don't need to be friends with the person that wants me in a camp. Whether his name is Putin and his friends or Mike Pence and his "Pray the Gay away camps".

My grandma and some parts of the family(not nuclear family) hates asian and black people. Its very weird because we are all peruvians.

I found this out when I said that I find japanese girls very attractive. I still love them but is sad that my future wife isnt going to be loved by them. :/

Sarcasm?

My brother was the same when I was younger. "If I ever catch you smoking I'll beat the crap out of you" I've stayed away from all that stuff thanks to him.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Sure.

Frankly, in some situations, it is.

Would I spank my kid if he misbehaves? Yes, I would. Not in many situations, but in some. Because sometimes, it works.

So maybe you have a point with a brother - someone you've grown up with and are the same age as with similar experiences and ideas about physically imposing yourself on him for your own views. Not all drugs ruin lives and not all brotherly beatdowns bring about some great growing up revelations. You're lucky your brother didn't cut you out of his life and more likely he would just .. you know.. not tell you he's doing any drugs because you threatened him if he did.

But "yea i'd spank my kid cause ...." is pure bullshit. I dearly hope you get your head right before you actually have kids because while a spanking will get a point across there a million better ways and even the barest bones of looking into it shows you the reality that more than anything all it's gonna do is impart the message that "getting pissed and physical will solve problems."

And here is where you say "My parents spanked me and i turned out ok!" while you threaten your brother with violence for wanting to experience a life different than yours.

But hey .. i'm glad he respects you.

Shredderi

My brother was the same when I was younger. "If I ever catch you smoking I'll beat the crap out of you" I've stayed away from all that stuff thanks to him.

Funnily enough, my older sister made a deal with me when I was 13yo. The terms of the deal was that if I end up smoking habitually before the age of 25 I would owe her 500e. We wrote the whole thing on paper and she kept that "contract" on her fridge at all times. It worked, I won. I didn't accept the money, she is a single mother of two and doesn't have exactly a stellar job. I would feel like a satan incarnation if I took the money x'D My sister was convinced that I would lose since EVERYONE in my family smokes. My mom, dad, sister, brother, all grandparents from both sides, my aunt.

You assume he's living in fear of me. Not the case. It's more of a respectful "I care about you so much I won't let you fuck yourself up, and I will fight you to straighten you out."

You would kick your brothers ass if he went to Denver with some buddies and legally smoked some pot? What about when he has his first beer?

Jombie

My sister married a typical good ole boy racist. I don't remember her saying much when I was a kid, but he started to rub off on her after awhile. He once got angry that a little black girl showed up for my nieces' birthday party. Shit like that has put a barrier between us and we seldom speak.

I don't think you understand how pathetically short Ben Shapiro is

Why does that matter? can he control that? I mean racism is being discussed here, basically discriminating about genetics and here you are describing someone else's genetics as pathetic. discussing racism and then discriminating about other genetic factors is the same kind of bigotry.

Top Bottom