• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

Hypron

I never watch dubbed stuff regardless of the language so I'm not even asking myself the question :)

Plus, I'm learning Japanese so it'd actually be stupid to listen to the English -which also isn't my mothertongue- version.

NSESN

I watched the subs first so for me I can't watch with the dubs now. If I had watched the dub first it might have been the other way around.

But with dubs, I don't like when certain voices make characters seem way older than they are and I find all mights captain quark voice irritating. But like i said, I feel this way because I watched with the Japanese voices first so their voice overs feel right to me (and the dub for this one is pretty good compared to usual dubs in anime so I can see why people prefer the dubs).
But the japanese voices get ridiculous sometimes. Deku sounds way so young that when he needs to make Deku sngry it sound like other character. Dub Deku nailed the tone imo.

NSESN

Because his voice fits his character more. Watched some of the dub and I like the sub voices better.
You watched the video? It isn't about the voice, it is about how Dub deku is less depressive and more confident without being delusional while sub Deku seems almost suicidal. Many people bash deku for being whiney and a crybaby but it is only true about the sub version imo.
Just to be clear sub!=japanese. I don't know if the subs is different from the original
About the voice I just disagree. Justin Brinnerdoes a great job capturing the character while the japanese voice actor uses almost the same voice he uses for other shows like the photographer kid from Shokugeki.

Puruzi

Banned
You watched the video? It isn't about the voice, it is about how Dub deku is less depressive and more confident without being delusional while sub Deku seems almost suicidal. Many people bash deku for being whiney and a crybaby but it is only true about the sub version imo.
Just to be clear sub!=japanese. I don't know if the subs is different from the original
About the voice I just disagree. Justin Brinnerdoes a great job capturing the character while the japanese voice actor uses almost the same voice he uses for other shows like the photographer kid from Shokugeki.
But that's Deku. I don't need the dub to change his character because he's actually like that. You might like that the dub makes him more confident but that's not much of a positive for me

NSESN

But that's Deku. I don't need the dub to change his character because he's actually like that. You might like that the dub makes him more confident but that's not much of a positive for me
I think the dub is closer to the character from the manga.
It is the same thing about All Might but reversed. Sabat does a good job but the Japanese All Might incorporates perfectly what I see when I read the manga.

Puruzi

Banned
I think the dub is closer to the character from the manga.
It is the same thing about All Might but reversed. Sabat does a good job but the Japanese All Might incorporates perfectly what I see when I read the manga.
Afaik the sub is basically taking what's being said in the manga and just using that so i'm not sure how the dub would be closer if it's changing things slightly from the sub

Ascheroth

Afaik the sub is basically taking what's being said in the manga and just using that so i'm not sure how the dub would be closer if it's changing things slightly from the sub
He's not talking about the direct lines, but the voice acting.
I haven't listened to the dub, so I have no opinion on this.

Hypron

Yeah in terms of what's being said, the script seems the exact same, I just listened to the first 5 min of the first episode again and you can literally use the Japanese version of the manga as subtitles.

Sub voices are unquestionably worse, IMO. Even without getting into the characterization tweaks (improvements).

"They just sound right" is more about which you listened to first or if you're going in expecting Japanese or English, imo.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
DKv71xIU8AAAbDG.jpg

MrCinos

I feel Dub All Might is better.

This is really strange to me, because I feel like JP All Might is by far the best voice actor in MHA. Shigaraki, All for One and Ochaco are my other favorites, but I feel like AM is in a league of his own with the range he's shown so far. His dialogue with Deku about All for One especially elevated him for me.

NSESN

Literal translation is almost always worse than adaptation. I doubt the original intended to have Deku seem suicidal for example.

MrCinos

Honestly, today is the first time I hear about Deku being suicidal and I've been following manga since chapter 1 and lots of discussions on the series for almost every each chapter and each anime episode. I feel like someone "forced" Deku being suicidal thing recently and people bandwagoned on it. I feel like someone's looking into it too much. I've rewatched each episode 5-8+ times depending on the episode thanks to live reactions (got too addicted to them) and never got such an impression.

Ascheroth

Honestly, today is the first time I hear about Deku being suicidal and I've been following manga since chapter 1 and lots of discussions on the series for almost every each chapter and each anime episode. I feel like someone "forced" Deku being suicidal thing recently and people bandwagoned on it. I feel like it's the case of looking things into too much.
Yeah, I've literally never heard of that before today.

NSESN

Honestly, today is the first time I hear about Deku being suicidal and I've been following manga since chapter 1 and lots of discussions on the series for almost every each chapter and each anime episode. I feel like someone "forced" Deku being suicidal thing recently and people bandwagoned on it. I feel like someone's looking into it too much. I've rewatched each episode 5-8+ times depending on the episode thanks to live reactions (got too addicted to them) and never got such an impression.
I didn't think so before watching the video but I had to agree afterwards. Even so almost everyone that bashes Deku calls him a crybaby and whiny.

PixelatedBookake

I spent all of season 2 watching the dub on Funimation and only recently started watching the sub for about three episodes. I did watched season 1 all subbed but I honestly prefer the English dub over the sub. The Japanese sub the original, but I'll be damned if I don't enjoy these characters better in a language I understand.

Puruzi

Banned
Literal translation is almost always worse than adaptation. I doubt the original intended to have Deku seem suicidal for example.

But if it's a literal translation Deku's character is by definition more in line with the sub and not the dub. If you like the dub better it's cool but you're making weird justifications for it imo

NSESN

But if it's a literal translation Deku's character is by definition more in line with the sub and not the dub. If you like the dub better it's cool but you're making weird justifications for it imo
Literal!= more in line. Literal translation doesn't mean the most correct. And my justifications aren't weird, I explained my point several times here why I think dub Deku is better. In fact I have yet to hear a good argument why sub Deku is better.

Puruzi

Banned
Literal!= more in line. Literal translation doesn't mean the most correct. And my justifications aren't weird, I explained my point several times here why I think dub Deku is better. In fact I have yet to hear a good argument why sub Deku is better.
None of the reasons you're giving for the dub being better aren't good to me either. I 100% disagree that dub is closer to the manga than the sub, and the change to Deku isn't good. Saying Deku seems suicidal is also just wtf entirely, no idea what that's about.

That's not how translation works. "Literal translation" as in word for word (but made in to sentences in the new language) is bad translation. Things simply do not carry over between languages directly. A good translation will make changes to the literal translation so that the original intent carries over in the new language, not the words.

This stuff about Deku being suicidal though, nah, that's not right.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I watched this the day you posted the video. The video is trash. 3.5 minutes he hasn't gotten through a single thing of any depth. 4.5 minutes in and the guy prefers the dub because they change the original source dialogue and make Deku a less complex person. What

Also the fuck at people looking at Deku as suicidal. Are they projecting?

Ascheroth

This is good localization.
I guess an example that’s happened a few times throughout Trails is one where Japanese honorifics are dropped as people become closer. A big deal is made out of it, but that sort of thing doesn’t exist in English. At the same time, there’s no reason to force it in the English version because the name-dropping isn’t necessarily the focus–it’s the result of characters becoming closer. The intent is the bond, and as long as you write the scene so that English players understand these characters have become closer thanks to what’s going on, then I believe we’re still loyal to the Japanese while still properly localizing the scene.

Puruzi

Banned
That's not how translation works. "Literal translation" as in word for word (but made in to sentences in the new language) is bad translation. Things simply do not carry over between languages directly. A good translation will make changes to the literal translation so that the original intent carries over in the new language, not the words.

This stuff about Deku being suicidal though, nah, that's not right.
The subs are the same as the dialog in the manga. It's not a literal translation in they way you're thinking.

DNAbro

I watched this the day you posted the video. The video is trash. 3.5 minutes he hasn't gotten through a single thing of any depth. 4.5 minutes in and the guy prefers the dub because they change the original source dialogue and make Deku a less complex person. What

Yeah I don't see how he would be suicidal. He was bullied and cried a lot but that doesn't mean suicidal.

Trojita

Whether people like it or not, Deku wanting to be a hero but being delusional about his prospects is depth of character. The way that youtuber puts it, he wants Deku to literally act like a generic as you can get Shounen Protagonist.

I'm wondering if some people took too much stock in the scene where Bakugou basically tells Deku to kill himself. Deku kind of has a fearful retort along the lines of "If I did, you'd get in trouble". He was trying to talk back to a bully with the only ammo he could use.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Glad to see S3 confirmed, hope it's 25 episodes so it covers
the School Trip Arc, the Rescue Arc and the Hero License one too.

NSESN

How he didn't go though a single thing of any depth? And how is sub deku a complex character?
And you guys are blowing up too much the bit about Deku being suicidal, I didn't get this impression but I can understand why he did.

How many people here watched both versions anyway? Because I watch both and the video is saying nothing that is trash.

Whether people like it or not, Deku wanting to be a hero but being delusional about his prospects is depth of character. The way that youtuber puts it, he wants Deku to literally act like a generic as you can get Shounen Protagonist.
I disagree, he being delusional is way more generic. Delusional protagonist are way too common.

I'm wondering if some people took too much stock in the scene where Bakugou basically tells Deku to kill himself. Deku kind of has a fearful retort along the lines of "If I did, you'd get in trouble". He was trying to talk back to a bully with the only ammo he could use.
Still, the way the dub Deku said the line was much better.

DNAbro

But wouldn't we be almost completely caught up to the manga by that point?

it would be right before the current arc which also happens to be the longest one so far (I think) But it seems to be almost done and there is at least half a year till the anime will return so the manga will get even further.

Trojita

How he didn't go though a single thing of any depth? And how is sub deku a complex character?
And you guys are blowing up too much the bit about Deku being suicidal, I didn't get this impression but I can understand why he did.

How many people here watched both versions anyway? Because I watch both and the video is saying nothing that is trash.

I disagree, he being delusional is way more generic. Delusional protagonist are way too common.

Still, the way the dub Deku said the line was much better.

"Deku struggles with being a quirkless fanboy in a land of super gods, put simply for 'E-Deku' becoming a hero is an aspiration, for 'J-Deku' it's a fantasy. While both would be heroes show a sense of dedication, the language used by 'E-Deku' is far more definite and future oriented than that used by 'J-Deku'. It makes it clear that 'E-Deku' has a goal in mind, a solid motivation behind that goal, and a general idea of how he's going to go about how to achieve it (how?). 'J-Deku' on the other hand uses his dream of becoming a quirkless hero mostly as an outlet to vent his frustrations about being bullied in school and permanently denied the one thing he's wanted for his entire life. He would never admit to himself that becoming a hero is a pipe dream, but he does understand the world that it is would simply not allow him to pursue that dream to any serious degree".

One of these is the real Deku, and it isn't the one that starts with an "E". E-Deku characterization is as shounen generic as you can get. They literally changed everything about the origin of the property and character. What was this general idea of how he's going to go about achieving his goal?

Deku was a kid with a broken dream that continued on with his fantasy.

NSESN

Guys, you can discuss the potential ground Season 3 would cover and all of that in the manga thread.
Thanks.
Sorry

"Deku struggles with being a quirkless fanboy in a land of super gods, put simply for 'E-Deku' becoming a hero is an aspiration, for 'J-Deku' it's a fantasy. While both would be heroes show a sense of dedication, the language used by 'E-Deku' is far more definite and future oriented than that used by 'J-Deku'. It makes it clear that 'E-Deku' has a goal in mind, a solid motivation behind that goal, and a general idea of how he's going to go about how to achieve it (how?). 'J-Deku' on the other hand uses his dream of becoming a quirkless hero mostly as an outlet to vent his frustrations about being bullied in school and permanently denied the one thing he's wanted for his entire life. He would never admit to himself that becoming a hero is a pipe dream, but he does understand the world that it is would simply not allow him to pursue that dream to any serious degree".

One of these is the real Deku, and it isn't the one that starts with an "E". E-Deku characterization is as shounen generic as you can get. They literally changed everything about the origin of the property and character. What was this general idea of how he's going to go about achieving his goal?

Deku was a kid with a broken dream that continued on with his fantasy.
"Real" deku depends of how you see it. In my mind the E-Deku is the real one. And I still don't get it how E-Deku is generic and J-deku isn't.
It is ok to not like dubs, but cmon let's not say that the opinions of who like are trash ok. The dub changed Deku and the result is much better character imo. J-deku isn't strong enough to carry the show as a protagonist.

Trojita

Sorry

"Real" deku depends of how you see it. In my mind the E-Deku is the real one.
And I still don't get it how E-Deku is generic and J-deku isn't.
It is ok to not like dubs, but cmon let's not say that the opinions of who like are trash ok. The dub changed Deku and the result is much better character imo. J-deku isn't strong enough to carry the show as a protagonist.
I never said fans of the dub are trash, I said that video was. Took way too long to get to their point while throwing in frivolous images all over the place. I'm not a huge fan of the dub of what I've seen. Dub Deku's voice is fine with me, it is some of the others that seem off.

Top Bottom