• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

DNAbro

The differences are so minuscule between the sub and dub characterization. It's still the same character.

I watched the first season of the dub and never once thought that they changed his character.

Jigolo

DKv71xIU8AAAbDG.jpg

Very good. If the finale covers through chapter 70 (which I think it will), season 2 would have covered chapters 22 - 70. About 2 chapters per episode. I think this is perfect pacing for a series like this. Doesn't get too slow like One Piece or Naruto. Let's just hope the writer can stay consistent as he has been for the past few years. Season 3 if it follows the same pace would bring us to about chapter 120. This weeks release is chapter 154. Personally I hope Season 3 doesn't start until late summer so it doesn't get too close to the manga and mess up the pacing.

Hypron

Keep in mind that the way people express themselves is different in different languages. What might sound a bit overly careful and indecisive in English would just be normal in Japanese, while being straightforward in a way that's perfectly normal in English could sound outright rude in Japanese.

Adding to that, I find that subtitles tend to keep some of the quirks of the original language — they do not necessarily adapt the dialogue to make it sound natural to the same extent than a dub or a book translation would. This is because in a book the translator can fully rearrange sentences without having to worry about anything; in a dub, there are some limitations due to scene timing and lip motion which will affect the translated script, but you're still replacing the original voice tracks entirely so you've got some flexibility. With subtitles, you can still hear the original voicetrack, which will create a disconnect if the subtitles are too different from what's being said, especially so if you can understand some of the original language (but not exclusively, I think we've all seen anime where one character is clearly saying someone else's name while the subs show something completely different).

So usually, from what I've noticed, you either get those subtitles that keep some of the original language's quirks, or you get subtitles that adapt too much and can become distracting. This is similar to "dubtitles" (i.e. subs for the English dub of a movie being put on top of the Japanese dub track), where the same overall meaning and mood are conveyed, but in a way that's different enough to be distracting.

I don't know if that's considered good or bad, but it makes it so that when I watch a something in an other language I accept before starting that the characters are going to phrase things a bit differently than they would if this were a show made in a language I understand.

So when you add those two things together, en- and jp- Deku are not necessarily such different characters.

NSESN

I never said fans of the dub are trash, I said that video was. Took way too long to get to their point while throwing in frivolous images all over the place. I'm not a huge fan of the dub of what I've seen. Dub Deku's voice is fine with me, it is some of the others that seem off.
I am sorry, I wasn't saying that you said that the fans off dub are trash, I was talking about their opinions being trash.
About the dub while I love Deku and enjoy All Might it is true that the rest are weak.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I am sorry, I wasn't saying that you said that the fans off dub are trash, I was talking about their opinions being trash.
About the dub while I love Deku and enjoy All Might it is true that the rest are weak.

I caught the dub again during USJ. It was either Bakugou, Todoroki, or both that had a voice that seemed way off.

PK Gaming

Surprised the dub wasn't completely written off here, but then again this is the best MHA discussion board on the net.

Yes dub Deku is amazing, and better than his JP counterpart imo. The dub is of generally lower quality when compared to the sub (though it's a high tier dub), but dub Deku absolutely tops. Perfectly gets the character, enunciates every line properly, and the fact that the actor is an underdog himself definitely helps. Oh, and he benefits from a stronger script.

Also dub Mineta makes the character somewhat likeable, by sheer virtue of the actress's charisma. Brina Palencia is OP.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
For those excited. The next two arcs meet the highs of the Stain encounter and in my opinion fucking surpass them. The next arc in particular is going to be VERY good, so I'm sad to say we will be waiting for it.

Ganhyun

Dub All-Might is trash. He's more Vegeta than Superhero/Superman.

Well, the same voice actor does both Dub voices so that may be why you find it All-Might's voice so familiar to Vegeta's, but to me he does a great job of making them both distinct.

Magwik

Banned
Not even close

He sounds nothing like vegetables

Well, the same voice actor does both Dub voices so that may be why you find it All-Might's voice so familiar to Vegeta's, but to me he does a great job of making them both distinct.
I'll walk it back after sitting down and listening to it more.
Between the amount of One Piece and DBZ I've seen dubbed, I can only hear Chris Sabat and Sabat at this point >.>
I'll take the Ls

Ganhyun

I'll walk it back after sitting down and listening to it more.
Between the amount of One Piece and DBZ I've seen dubbed, I can only hear Chris Sabat and Sabat at this point >.>
I'll take the Ls

Honestly it sounds more like his voice acting for Zeus is Smite than Vegeta to me.

ShadyK54

Great end for a great season.

They did a great job of capturing the tension of the conversation, especially when Uraraka steps back into the scene. Felt like time stopped.

Also, no more scenes with Deku’s mom crying, pls. I can’t handle those feels of an innoncent mom being scared and/or heartbroken like that lol.

Can’t wait for season 3! That first arc is going to be a doozy.

SomTervo

I need a good anime to watch and I tried this but I just found it too tropey and tonally twisted like many anime. Felt pretty painful. If it really picks up in S02 I might give it another bash and try to push through it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
lmao

2017-09-3013_41_14-bofssf9.png

Man what a fantastic ending and damn that scene between Deku and Tomura was intense as hell.

Oh and All for One finally revealed! I mean they teased him already but now we saw his name.

All Might continues to be best dad ever.

2017-09-3014_03_35-bomssi2.png

2017-09-3014_03_15-bolmsje.png

Great season, bring on season 3.

i wonder when we'll see a villain who looks relatively normal? anywho, bring on season 3.

As someone who binged through season 1 when 2 had just started it's worth pointing out how much better the pacing was here with season 2.

i wonder when we'll see a villain who looks relatively normal? anywho, bring on season 3.

As someone who binged through season 1 when 2 had just started it's worth pointing out how much better the pacing was here with season 2.

Toga looks relatively normal if you ignore the teeth (which, by MHA standards, aren't that odd).

yeah the improvements over the first season were great, like just in general the animations fleet like they had way more life to them

Ignoring my bias for Kaminari, I think the other thing that made me dislike episode 36, was that Kaminari didnt even use his quirk at all in his fight against Nezu, mina only melted a wall, but even if they would still lose, I think I would have liked a bit more from both of them.

Jirou meanwhile seemed to display incredible power even, her country soundblast reached across the whole forest, I hadnt realized the huge range she has and could potentially further have.

Also, I love that the engdub uses Nagisa Hazuki voice for her partner. cute.

NSESN

If I wasn't a manga reader I would think Shigaraki was going to kill Uraraka. Really great episode, the "face" wasn't as good as the manga but still good enough, and the rest of the episode was awesome, really like that they used the ending to improve the mood and then imediatelly kill it with Shimura appearing.

I need season 3 now.

NEO0MJ

Is this the part where I ship Uraraka and Deku? Because I now ship Uraraka and Deku.

Also, no more scenes with Deku's mom crying, pls. I can't handle those feels of an innoncent mom being scared and/or heartbroken like that lol.

It\s hard not to feel bad for her. I can\t imagine how gut wrenching it must feel to see you're once quirkless son go through what Deku went through. Even if he had a quirk I imagine it would still be too much. During his three months at school he went through 4 (I think?) life threatening experiences.

HabeeNo

Uraraka and Deku are so cute. Also, I wanna see how the detective & All Might got AfO the first time, since this time they want to get him the right way

Man, I can't wait for S3, only got Super and OP for my anime fix now :(

Sweet lord that teaser image for Season 3.

HYPE!!!

2017-09-3014_08_30-tvadsfl.png

And who is that behind All for One?? Arrghh... I love all those teases, can't wait to find out, it might be a while (probably spring 2018) but i need to stay strong.

That person showed up after the Stain fight in that montage of people who were influenced by that video of Stain.

Spoilers, but
its weird that they eve included him there, since he's not going to show up at all in season 3 most likely.

Top Bottom