• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
you know, it's going to be so confusing when we get to the second year. the current 1-A and 1-B will be 2-A and 2-B, and the next first years will be 1-A and 1-B instead.

nobody's going to get that right.

caliph95

I STILL WANNA FIND OUT WHAT'S UP WITH SPEECH BUBBLE HEAD

they even show up in the anime with speech bubbles WHICH DOESN'T EVEN MAKE METASENSE waragh
His name is literally manga and his quirk is comic.
No idea what it does
you know, it's going to be so confusing when we get to the second year. the current 1-A and 1-B will be 2-A and 2-B, and the next first years will be 1-A and 1-B instead.

nobody's going to get that right.
Just going to call them Class A and B

Puruzi

Banned
iwc25cc.png

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So who is going to take care of Eri when she is saved? Dekumom? She has an empty nest now that Deku lives in the dorms.

This manga would go really dark if Shigaraki kills Eri. It would be such a villainous move that would wreck Deku and fuck over Overhaul.

cntr

Banned
Hm. Can't see anybody currently involved being able to take care of Eri. She'd probably stay in Recovery Girl's hospital until she...recovers, at least.

Shigaraki feels like he'd get pissed over Eri because she'd remind him of his own childhood. But if he doesn't care about that...hoo.

Bowl0l

Yeah, but what'll you call all the new characters who become the new 1-A and 1-B?
[Insert year here] Class A/B

Difference is those parents didn't stop their kids from attending a hero school. They should have realised that being a hero is not safe, All Might is one good example.

So who is going to take care of Eri when she is saved? Dekumom? She has an empty nest now that Deku lives in the dorms.

This manga would go really dark if Shigaraki kills Eri. It would be such a villainous move that would wreck Deku and fuck over Overhaul.
How about Gran Torino adopting Eri? He already trained All Might and Deku. Eri will be beating villains by the time Deku graduates.

Eh, I think it'd be a bit contrived if Deku's mom took in Eri.

Eri's most likely going to be put under protection and eventually moved to a foster care program. Heroes can't just take in everyone they save. Plus it'd be a good lesson for Deku and the gang to understand how that process works as I imagine that's something heroes have to deal with often as well.

SoulUnison

Banned
I just realized that Dekumom's ability would be a nightmare on an overbearing mother.

I'm not seeing it - wouldn't it be kind of a huge boon to a helicopter parent to be able to literally gravitate their kid towards them?
Or are you saying that if the kid inherited it she'd be beside herself 24/7 wondering if he's going to accidentally fling knives and such around?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm not seeing it - wouldn't it be kind of a huge boon to a helicopter parent to be able to literally gravitate their kid towards them?
Or are you saying that if the kid inherited it she'd be beside herself 24/7 wondering if he's going to accidentally fling knives and such around?

I meant a nightmare for the child lol.

"Come over here and give me a hug"
"Na, I'm good"
*Starts being pulled to their mom*

cntr

Banned
If you think about it, because we know quirks can be trained, Deku's mom has potentially a really powerful quirk.

Her quirk isn't "attract small objects", her real quirk is "the ability to pull anything towards you". She just hasn't trained to increase the size and distance she can pull.

cntr

Banned
Not sure if I should put it here or in the Spring Anime thread but Mothers' Basement did a recent video comparing contrasting the themes, narratives and politics of MHA vs. Naruto. I thought it was an interesting video :)
Hmm, it's alright. Not one of this better videos.

It focuses only up to where the anime is, which is...still really only at the beginning. So it misses a lot of the themes of the series, like the emphasis on teamwork the series ends up placing, its promotion of individuality over conformity, its opposition to imitation, and generally how it criticizes Japanese society.

caliph95

"How ironic the ever gracious Class 1A has activated my trap card, isn't your class supposed to be much skilled and amazing than us lowly Class B students"

caliph95

Sorry can't agree with that Monoma passed the license test while Bakugo and Shoto failed hence Monoma >Bakugo and Todoroki
Code:
[IMG]https://bot.gyazo.com/f8e4e76a47bd682e27cf66f8fc571992.jpg[/IMG]

Veelk

Banned
I think it's funny how his inferiority complex is played up as a joke, since he was treated as a serious villain when he first appeared. I personally prefer him as a joke. His pettiness is hilarious.

cntr

Banned
Horikoshi said he wasn't intending Monoma to be such an ass when he wrote his character.

which is why he doubled down on it, of course

caliph95

Honestly it's for the better that way and you can tell he was built up as an actual serious and pretty smart rival then quickly devolved into a petty comic relief and a sitcom arch nemesis:
TmGROcv.png

Veelk

Banned
I know I said this before, but this is the only manga for which I'd buy light novels for if they were written by Horikoshi, because I'm interested in finding out more personal details about almost every single character that shows up.

It reminds me of overwatch. We get enough details of the character to find out their personality, bits of their background, interpersonal relationships...and then we zip away to do something else, leaving us wanting to get to know them more.

It creates this dilemma in the manga where it's biggest strength is the brisk pacing that keeps pushing the story along in a way pretty much no other shonen manga has accomplished, which is one of the strengths of the series but at the same time I'd be perfectly happy to have the plot grind to a halt just to do bullshit like go hang out at an arcade.

cntr

Banned
I believe he was involved in the writing.
Yeah, that's what I mean, I don't know how closely he was involved with its writing.

Pretty much all light novels say that the authors were involved or approved of it, even if that amounts to them taking a glance at it during a lunch break.

What i liked the most about this weeks episode was that small expansion of adding the Momo vs todoroki fight. If we get season3 the Todoroki/Momo vs Aizawa part is gonna be alot more impactful

Just gotta say that today's episode was exactly what I want out of this adaptation and bam did BONES did good. All these expended fights and added moments take what the manga does best and make it even better. I'm pretty hyped to see what they will do with the Stain arc and Exam arc. All these delicious possible anime original fights.

Ascheroth

Just gotta say that today's episode was exactly what I want out of this adaptation and bam did BONES did good. All these expended fights and added moments take what the manga does best and make it even better. I'm pretty hyped to see what they will do with the Stain arc and Exam arc. All these delicious possible anime original fights.
It's basically the best of both worlds: The manga is awesome and moves along at a brisk pace, while the anime takes the opportunity and shines some spotlight on stuff the manga didn't have time for.

Jintor

The pacing was ever so slightly off compared to the manga but the extended sequences made up for it. I was really impressed with the focus on Yaoyao which will come into play, what, in like another two or three arcs when they have their mid-terms?

Ura is gonna fuckin kick it up next episode, i cannot wait

Veelk

Banned
Lol how are these 2 things even related?

Well, they're not other than them both being a change in the depiction that I am not a fan of.

That said, I'm not saying it's gonna happen. I doubt it will, really. I just get antsy over these things. Feel free to ignore me on this one. But I really will be disappointed if they change anything about how the fight went down in the manga.

Well, they're not other than them both being a change in the depiction that I am not a fan of.

That said, I'm not saying it's gonna happen. I doubt it will, really. I just get antsy over these things. Feel free to ignore me on this one. But I really will be disappointed if they change anything about how the fight went down in the manga.
If you are going to compare something, compare other fights and on that level everything as been better then the manga. You really have no need to worry.

Shame for the body thing, but I think you guys are taking it a notch too intense.

Also if nobody would have mentionned it, I really would have never even noticed.

Jintor

stuff is important differently to different people. i wouldn't call it too intense imho especially in manga/anime where ideal body stuff is very often glossed over. Hell, the only other anime i can recall that really thinks of girls as having a really good mix of anything other than the standard physique, without calling it out as weird or strange, is Galko-chan (minor nsfw).

I also personally think its a good look for the artstyle to have characters designed as more solid and am a bit disappointed that disappears in the anime somewhat

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
If we're talking about realistic body details, Shaft has ironically been pretty good about it, even if all of their characters are still gorgeous beauties. They put a decent amount of detail and focus on muscles and bone structure which is something a lot of anime's gloss over in general.

Anyway the only time I really remember there being any "flaws" (I wish I had that much tummy fat) was in that beach spread. They didn't really show that in the cheerleading part in the manga, did they?

Jintor

the kids don't get nekked too much (i think the cheerleading, locker room, and aforementioned beach spread is about it) but yao's casual attitude to needing more skin to produce larger stuff from gets her unclothed a bit more than otherwise. But no, it doesn't pop up that much, and yes, it is minor overall.

Most of the time the anime is 1:1 with the manga anyway. The character's anatomy is well respected and only a single scene in the anime had like one less flaw on their body (a minor one). I don't think it's worth going all bazoom on it. Ochako still look like she has a good built in the anime.

Top Bottom