• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
You know, I wondered before if he was going out of his way to hide it, but now I'm positive he's going out of his way to not draw it. I don't think Horikoshi is totally above some fanservice, but at least he realizes that there's some times where it's not appropriate. This being one of those times.
I'm so glad Horikoshi tries to avoid gratuitous fanservice, even if he doesn't always get it right.

It'd oddly nice to be a fan of a series knowing the author's a decent guy. Especially for manga.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The mimicry thing was surprising in its execution. Wonder how fucked up the labyrinth could be formed.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Not really feelin this chapter. Or... arc. Just feels like a retread of every other shounen manga ever, classic "send team through labyrinth and fight strong guys to rescue someone." I bet we'll get some hot-blooded fights and see some weird powers, wahoo.

Wake me when it's over.

cntr

Banned
I think fights and weird powers are pretty cool, but I also think the chances of it being that straight-forward are pretty low.

The mimicry thing was surprising in its execution. Wonder how fucked up the labyrinth could be formed.
Didn't expect them to use the quirk-enhancing drug, but makes sense that they would.

cntr

Banned
volume 14 cover preview
tumblr_oqiliqaaNk1vp5ze0o1_1280.jpg

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Anyone wanna take bets of if Suneater gets his shit kicked in?

Looking a little crosseyed there overhaul.

Not really if the point of his focus is whatever's on his eyebrow and not the camera. Also, is he wearing surgical gloves? that's a neat detail you miss in black and white.

FlowersisBritish

Cover's meh, I would have like handjob in it or something.

having Suneater lose would be a pretty good anticlimax, lol

I just need some competent villains in my life for once, and I have high hopes for these guys(mostly because I adore bird imagery). If the first appearance of these three badasses is to lose to a highschool kid, I will be so disappointed.

cntr

Banned
volume 14 covers a pretty slow part, so wasn't expecting anything crazy. volume 15's cover will be more hype.

I just need some competent villains in my life for once, and I have high hopes for these guys(mostly because I adore bird imagery). If the first appearance of these three badasses is to lose to a highschool kid, I will be so disappointed.
makes sense.

he'll probably be bailed out by the other heroes, or at best just holds them back long enough for everyone else to pass, not defeat them outright.

Veelk

Banned
I feel like the story painted itselfi into a corner somewhat by the fact that Heroes are...well, they're just better than villains. Better equipped, better trained.

It's only recently that they gained a symbolic victory by taking out all might. And this is good in some ways. The reason we are able to have room for normal school life and personal growth for the main characters is because the society as a whole is still relatively stable with only now the tips beginning to fall to the other side.

But as of now, the villains have basically been the underdogs in most of the fights. They are always outnumbered, out gunned, and often have to retreat. As such, it's not that they are incompetent, per se, it's just that contrary to many story set ups, the Heroes have significant advantages over them.

cntr

Banned
That'll probably be the focus of Shigaraki's arc. He's meant to grow from being a man-child into being a true villain, maybe even the greatest villain.

So it would make thematic sense for Shigaraki to restore villainy to its former status along the way. People like Overhaul aren't going to be sitting back, either.

Plus, this is a more of a hunch, but I'm guessing the story was deliberately structured to become more fantastic and more like a comic book over time. We know the series is set in the near future, and we've already seen things like Aizawa's hologram remote, semi-intelligent robots, and if the theory about Aoyama being quirkless is true, portable laser weapons.

So it would also make sense for the villains to be under-equipped now when the series is fairly grounded, but for them to get more crap as the series expands in scale. I could totally see Deku and co. eventually (e.g.) fighting robot armies and people in power armor, for example. Or something like an Omnidroid, that would be cool.

(Also, we still haven't met the villain counterpart to Mei.)

Trojita

There's a theory that Aoyama doesn't have a quirk? That's kinda contradicted by his quirk causing stomach pain because he is literally expelling the power out of his stomach, but I guess someone could make an excuse that a laser device pushing on his stomach could cause a similar issue. It's not likely though.

Why he was admitted to the hero course with that quirk is anyone's guess though.

caliph95

You only need a quirk that can destroy the robots to score points (besides the test) and his quirk is good for big dumb robots

There are others i'm wondering how they destroyed the robots

The villains being weak is aby product of the heroes basically being super cops with tons of training with the villains being common criminals without the training of the heroes and the equipment, so they get by outsmarting the heroes.

cntr

Banned
It's a theory because of this;
Makes sense to me. And it's kind of weird that he needs a device to use his quirk at all, right?

It'd make him a more complicated character and give him an arc, and if we were going to get a quirkless hero, why not him?

Trojita

Makes sense to me. And it's kind of weird that he needs a device to use his quirk at all, right?

It'd make him a more complicated character and give him an arc, and if we were going to get a quirkless hero, why not him?

I'm used to heroes like Havok from Marvel needing a suit to facilitate using their abilities, so it didn't stand out to me.

cntr

Banned
I'm used to heroes like Havok from Marvel needing a suit to facilitate using their abilities, so it didn't stand out to me.
Yeah, I ignored it for the same reason until the flashback. It's just the kind of thing that would be easy to retroactively reveal as something else.

FlowersisBritish

Before discussion steers away. I just got to say, I don't think the story is trying to build up Handjob. i did for a bit, but now, i'm really not sure. Everyone gives the Villian's Alliance such an undeserved reverence. I could go on another one of my rants, but I'll cut it short and say in the short time they've been around, the Yakuza have proved to be infinitely better villains. Handjob has a very deadly and dangerous quirk, yet he's barely used it. In comparison, the leader of the Yakuza, who has a comparable quirk, has used it more times than Handjob. Their organization works better as shown by the distribution of drugs, and for fuck's sake, he even straps his daughter to a horrifying needle machine that was a joke in Venture Bros. If anything the dude is too evil, as compared to the VA who always talks about doing something but rarely ever come through in the end.

Oh huh, what a neat possible development for a character I do not care about. When's Horikoshi going to answer the real question like are Ojiro and Hagakure dating or what?

cntr

Banned
Overhaul explicitly calls out Shigaraki for being a shitty villain, so...

Oh huh, what a neat possible development for a character I do not care about. When's Horikoshi going to answer the real question like are Ojiro and Hagakure dating or what?
I like Aoyama, so no u.

Anyway, Horikoshi'll probably address Ochako and Deku's relationship before addressing anybody else's. Ojiro and Hagakure are definitely going to be a thing, though.

FlowersisBritish

Overhaul explicitly calls out Shigaraki for being a shitty villain, so...

Good on Overhaul, continuously proving to be better. I just wished people on the hero would do so.

Edit: and to be fair, I do like handjob a lot and would love it if he shows up at the laat second to just sneak in a win. I mean he has to do something this arc.

A question
The heroes and villains who look like animals (Centipede, dog etc...) does that mean that these individuals are using their quirk all the time? I am wondering since the quirk makes them look like that, so they should be able to return to human form when not using it. Or am i misunderstanding how their quirks work?

cntr

Banned
A question
The heroes and villains who look like animals (Centipede, dog etc...) does that mean that these individuals are using their quirk all the time? I am wondering since the quirk makes them look like that, so they should be able to return to human form when not using it. Or am i misunderstanding how their quirks work?
Yeah, they have form quirks, they're always permanently like that. Transformation quirks are a separate category.

You'd have to destroy or steal their quirk to get rid of it.

Yeah, they have form quirks, they're always permanently like that. Transformation quirks are a separate category.

You'd have to destroy or steal their quirk to get rid of it.

Thanks, but that means they have way more stamina than regular people with quirks. How can they keep having their quirk activated all the time?

A question

Quirks all fall into one of three categories: Emitter, Transformation and Mutant. Emitters either release a "material" or alter "materials" around them and they must consciously use their quirks; this includes Shigaraki's Disintegration, Uraraka's Zero Gravity and Deku's One For All. Transformation is just temporarily changing their body in a way, this includes Lady Dragon's turning into a dragon and Kirishima's Hardneing. Mutant quirks are always active and can never be turned off, these include Tsuya's Frogyness and Iida's Leg Engines. Everything shown so far makes it seem like Centipede is a Mutant quirk, since he has it active even when there seems to be no point.

Trojita

Thanks, but that means they have way more stamina than regular people with quirks. How can they keep having their quirk activated all the time?

Any non-human feature is passive.

This includes Eri's horn.

Edit: The mutations that started occuring when quirks started aren't always a quirk themselves. Look at the kid who speaks to animals. Eri's horn like I said is another example.

Trojita

When did Horikoshi introduce the three classes of quirks? Because they really don't seem to encompass quirks we've seen.

There seems to be a little confusion; transformation quirks are people like Mt. Lady, who change their form but do have a resting "default." Mutation quirks like Tsuyo, on the other hand, aren't really "on" or "off," they just... are. You have hair and fingernails, they have extendable tongues and other weirdness. They may not even really quirks, I guess, if you wanna get technical about it. Tokoyami has a bird head but his quirk is totally unrelated to that (except in form).

When did Horikoshi introduce the three classes of quirks? Because they really don't seem to encompass quirks we've seen.

They do, but they're sorta odd in that they overlap sometimes thanks to mutations not really playing by the rules of the other two.

Trojita

They do, but they're sorta odd in that they overlap sometimes thanks to mutations not really playing by the rules of the other two.

Who would have said One for All was an emitter class? That's enhancement all the way. Leaf manipulation is forcing the leaves to move not emitting them per say. Even calling Dekumom's ability emitter is kind of bullshit.

Those lines from Aoyama always came up to me like him being too flamboyant, and being frustrated for that (what a great scene that is, though).

Who would have said One for All was an emitter class? That's enhancement all the way. Leaf manipulation is forcing the leaves to move not emitting them per say. Even calling Dekumom's ability emitter is kind of bullshit.

Because Deku's body doesn't change physically, he just hits harder/moves faster (which is kind of presented as a side effect of moving faster rather than super speed per se, which is interesting on a couple levels). Meanwhile, Kirishima actually changes his form, so he's a transformer. Physically altering yourself is transformation, all other means of changing the world around you are emitter. It's a little odd, but it holds together. As with a lot of real-world classification systems, there's some strange business at the borders, like Yaoyorozu. And All Might legit gets bigger which is weird.

Those lines from Aoyama always came up to me like him being too flamboyant, and being frustrated for that (what a great scene that is, though).

Could be. It reads a little ambiguously, so we'll see how he shakes out.

FlowersisBritish

The only oddity about One For All is in All Might's situation, where he also does transform along with the power.

I've always atributed it more as a gag of he's puffing out his chest and putting on the strongman act. I doubt Deku sill ever transform unless he doesn't hit the gym for like a few months and needs to bluff out some abs.

I think it was this arc specifically and these are pretty broad generalizations. You could fit a lot of shonen casts into this. Still a better system then Tokyo Gouls classification. I can rant and rave about that dumb shit for days.

I've always atributed it more as a gag of he's puffing out his chest and putting on the strongman act. I doubt Deku sill ever transform unless he doesn't hit the gym for like a few months and needs to bluff out some abs.

I think it was this arc specifically and these are pretty broad generalizations. You could fit a lot of shonen casts into this. Still a better system then Tokyo Gouls classification. I can rant and rave about that dumb shit for days.

I mean, we know that people straight up don't recognize him when he's not in Musclemode, and the transformation smoke stuff was played for drama once. I don't think it's just a gag. Dude actually gets bigger.

On the other hand, Deku glows, so maybe the visual just manifests itself differently in everyone?

SoulUnison

Banned

I could see Leaf Manipulation as being explained by "emitting" some kind of... "leaf control aura," but I don't see it for One For All, yeah.

cntr

Banned
They got introduced a while ago in the extras and mentioned off-handedly, but there are more classes than those three in untranslated stuff.

In fact, it doesn't seem to be a class system at all, they're more like a set of descriptive labels.

I mean, we know that people straight up don't recognize him when he's not in Musclemode, and the transformation smoke stuff was played for drama once. I don't think it's just a gag. Dude actually gets bigger.

On the other hand, Deku glows, so maybe the visual just manifests itself differently in everyone?
We know One for All causes your muscles to expand, because Deku's arm bursts out of his shirt when he does it for the first time. So All Might bulks himself up to imitate how he used to look, and has enough of a teeny bit of One for All left that he can still do it for a few seconds.

The electricity glow thing might be a thing that happens when you're not able to properly control One for All, since All Might gets the same effect near the end of his fight with All for One.

Meffer

They got introduced a while ago in the extras and mentioned off-handedly, but there are more classes than those three in untranslated stuff.

In fact, it doesn't seem to be a class system at all, they're more like a set of descriptive labels.

We know One for All causes your muscles to expand, because Deku's arm bursts out of his shirt when he does it for the first time. So All Might bulks himself up to imitate how he used to look, and has enough of a teeny bit of One for All left that he can still do it for a few seconds.

The electricity glow thing might be a thing that happens when you're not able to properly control One for All, since All Might gets the same effect near the end of his fight with All for One.
Also when Eraserhead explained his quirk partially.

Top Bottom