• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Jintor

there was that entire pussycat themed hero group (even though none of them had cat powers lol)

i didn't notice that aside from the rock the MHA OST has a bit of a fondness for flamenco guitar?

there was that entire pussycat themed hero group (even though none of them had cat powers lol)

i didn't notice that aside from the rock the MHA OST has a bit of a fondness for flamenco guitar?

Yeah, I picked up on that this episode. Great choice. I don't watch a ton of anime, but it felt really unusual to me.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
What was Ichigo's goal? His dream or whatever? What did he want to do apart from reacting all the time and "fighting to protect his friends"?

Listen, i don't need to take your hand and walk you through the Tolstoy-esque levels of complex anit-hero motivations that was Ichigo Kurasawa. His dreams? Son, Ichigo has so many dreams he can barely hold all of them. Bleach should have been a yaoi manga because Ichigo needed bigger hands for all them dreams.

I forgot all about them. I'm actually really curious what's going to happen to the one who lost her powers. I think she might be the key to the international world in the universe. If there are no doctors in Japan that can help her, I can definitely see some famous foreign doctor flying over to help, and I can see that foreign doctor needing professional bodyguards.

Puruzi

Banned
This is better than Naruto and Bleach but not One Piece. However it's not much worse than One Piece either. Definitely worth reading.

LotusHD

Banned
As a person who legitimately really liked, and still likes Bleach. Yes, this is sarcasm. I am a little mortified that I have to clarify this.

I am genuinely sorry, my apologies.

Why do people have to constantly compare every show to one piece, naruto, or bleach, hunter x hunter...cant heroaca stand on its own?

It can, but well... he asked, so yea.

ppl compare things because it's the way most ppl measure quality

Also this. If I hadn't read MHA before, and someone said they considered it to be on par with One Piece or HxH, then my interest in it would increase dramatically. Whereas if someone said it's worse than Bleach, well...

caliph95

Legit giggling at the last few posts in the Anime thread.
I was so tempted but didn't without risking spoilers

I don't man Bakugo looks likes he is totally going to join the villains alliance and betray the main cast, remember when Deku went 20% against his mega explosion kills mode to try and bring him back,i mean why does he even try to be the number 1 hero

Nairume

Banned
What was Ichigo's goal? His dream or whatever? What did he want to do apart from reacting all the time and "fighting to protect his friends"?
Reasonably speaking, there was a point where getting revenge on Grand Fisher and avenging his mom would have probably been his goal, but then that got dashed to power establish and rereveal another character.

caliph95

As a person who legitimately really liked, and still likes Bleach. Yes, this is sarcasm. I am a little mortified that I have to clarify this.

Why aren't there more cat girls in MHA? And more importantly, why aren't there more cats????
There was Officer Meow Meow Fuzzyface, lus Alien, Frog and pony girls if it makes it better

caliph95

.......Isn't that a character from Bojack Horseman???
latest

Must have missed his cameo

caliph95

Also we got omakes and character profiles of characters from the license arc in the new volume that has been translate disintegrate me if old

WarRock

Suneater and Red Riot need a moment together after those last chapters tbh.

But if you're going to think about it like that then it's almost like she has multiple Quirks that just happen to work perfectly together.
The individual traits of multiple animals across the animal kingdom plus a transformation Quirk that lets her shift form at will.

That somehow makes it stand out even more to me, because it's like she won the "Superpower Lottery" multiple times over, in a row.
I want to address this very quickly besides what was mentioned already:

Shit like that happens in real life too. Waterbears, platypuses, and I would say insects in general (have you ever thought how the fuck butterfly metamorphosis work?). Heck, even viruses (being able to switch between """alive""" and """dead""" states).

Also, you are assuming a lot. Maybe she doesn't have a transformation quirk and animal quirks. Maybe it's one and the same. When she triggered the transformation for the first time, maybe it accommodated whatever she was thinking at the time. Maybe it's the result of her parents marriage.

For all we know, her actual quirk may be similar to Suneater's, but through stuff she read or drawn.

Also, if animals themselves can have quirks, it's not farfetched think that some mutated in somewhat similar forms to fictional beasts, and if humans can quirk-mutate to have animal traits...

Naruto and Bleach have terrible pacing as well. As far as the anime adaptions go, MHA is easily the best out of those.

Defintely. MHA benefits from it's production cycle taking breaks rather that rushing through the show and adding filler like the Big Three did. I really wish what Naruto and Bleach could've been like if their adaptations were made the same way that MHA and Food Wars have been adapted.

Kickz

This is the manga thread though lol, so I assumed we're speaking of their manga equivalents to begin with.

Oh nevermind, in that case those 3 are all better upto the Tournament arc which is where I am in the anime as a nonmanga reader.

MHA does good with their characters, but their tournament arc has been a complete afterthought

Ascheroth

Not to make a big thing of this, but wasn't the big complaint everyone had of the anime(first season) that the pacing was shit?

I wouldn't call it outright 'shit', but it was definitely not good. The most egregious offenders were flashbacks to stuff that happened in the very same episode just a couple minutes earlier. Combine that with subpar character art in key scenes (though this was fixed in the BDs) and I would call the first season disappointing overall in comparison to the manga, but still good enough to be enjoyable and hitting the same emotional highs (in part due to the stellar soundtrack).

Luckily this second season pretty much avoids all those problems from the first season and has been knocking it out of the park so far.

The pacing has been perfect for season 2. Every shonen should strive to adapt stuff like this. No unnecessary flashback or dragged out scenes. Added content. Expended scenes. The anime use the medium in the perfect way.

Season 2 is basically the manga+. Food wars s1 was similar, but then season 2 decided to go at mach 20.

Haikyu is a similar case. It's a pretty perfect adaptation.

Oh nevermind, in that case those 3 are all better upto the Tournament arc which is where I am in the anime as a nonmanga reader.

MHA does good with their characters, but their tournament arc has been a complete afterthought

I wouldn't say it's an afterthought, but it's coming at it from a totally different perspective than most shonens. The tournament itself isn't really the point of the thing.

You'll see soon~

adding scenes isn't always a plus

manga's still better

In season 2's case it's only a plus. It's no fluff. It's all pertinent and experience increasing stuff. More class interaction, greatly expended fights scenes. Basically what the manga offers but more. Add to this the OST, the beautiful fluid animation, dynamic characters and the great pacing and the anime is better. In season 1 case it was a mix case, but it's pretty clear for season 2.

Puruzi

Banned
nah, it being faster would be better, one reason I like the manga is because of how fast it is. the second season's faster but still whatever

Going faster would change absolutely nothing here and i think it would do more harm then good.

I really don't see how a faster adaptation would do any good. You want less cool fights? less fun character interaction? You want them to cut stuff?

Moaradin

Yeah, the season 2 additions have been good. Tons of manga readers have said they wanted these fights to get more fleshed out back when these chapters came out, and Bones has done exactly that.

Kickz

Going faster would change absolutely nothing here and i think it would do more harm then good.

I really don't see how a faster adaptation would do any good. You want less cool fights? less fun character interaction? You want them to cut stuff?

Cut what fights though, most of them haven't lasted 5 minutes..

I wouldn't say it's an afterthought, but it's coming at it from a totally different perspective than most shonens. The tournament itself isn't really the point of the thing.

You'll see soon~

I hope so man, its seems like between that selling girl Mei and Deku's first fight with mind guy the mangaka is more interested in what happens outside the battle arena than what happens in it.

Cut what fights though, most of them haven't lasted 5 minutes..

I hope so man, its seems like between that selling girl Mei and Deku's first fight with mind guy the mangaka is more interested in what happens outside the battle arena than what happens in it.

All of episode 21 fights were more or less single panel fights in the manga changed into 1 or 2 minutes fights for example,

The fight are cool here, but the fights ain't all this tournament is about.

Puruzi

Banned

What damn cool fights? I WANT them to get to the cool shit, the extra shit is just fluff.

What damn cool fights? I WANT them to get to the cool shit, the extra shit is just fluff.

You did not like Mina vs Aoyama? You seem just impatient my man Puruzi, this adaptation is way too good to want to rush it like that. This ain't no fluff . It's all really good additions.

Food wars s2 was already ruin by a mind set like that. Never again.

Puruzi

Banned
You did not like Mina vs Aoyama? You seem just impatient my man Puruzi, this adaptation is way too good to want to rush it like that. This ain't no fluff . It's all really good additions.

Food wars s2 was already ruin by a mind set like that. Never again.
Mina vs Aoyama is about the only addition that I liked but that's because Mina's best girl.

Speeding it up wouldn't ruin anything though, because the manga is great already and it's faster. If adapting the manga as is would ruin it that implies the manga's pacing is bad, but it isn't.

Mina vs Aoyama is about the only addition that I liked but that's because Mina's best girl.

Speeding it up wouldn't ruin anything though, because the manga is great already and it's faster. If adapting the manga as is would ruin it that implies the manga's pacing is bad, but it isn't.

Which is never something I said. The speed of an adaptation isn't like go at the manga's speed. At what speed does the manga goes? What I mean by going faster is that going at 3 or 4 chapters fast constantly would be harmful. They would need to cut things out. May it be character interaction or other cool scenes. going between 2-3 chapters with the occasional 1 expended-chapter from episode 21 is perfect pacing. We get everything and more of a thing we like with no drawback.

I also read lots of reviews of places like ANN that find that the manga does goes to fast, in a way that they would like too see what happens to the other characters. The anime is pretty much that.

Just to add that I do not find that the manga goes to fast, but I do like the idea of seeing what happens to the others, which is something the manga doesn't do.

Puruzi

Banned
Which is never something I said. The speed of an adaptation isn't like go at the manga's speed. At what speed does the manga goes? What I mean by going faster is that going at 3 or 4 chapters fast constantly would be harmful. They would need to cut things out. May it be character interaction or other cool scenes. going between 2-3 chapters with the occasional 1 expended-chapter from episode 21 is perfect pacing. We get everything and more of a thing we like with no drawback.

I also read lots of reviews of places like ANN that find that the manga does goes to fast, in a way that they would like too see what happens to the other characters. The anime is pretty much that.

Just to add that I do not find that the manga goes to fast, but I do like the idea of seeing what happens to the others, which is something the manga doesn't do.

You said that Soma S2 was ruined because of what I said, so I applied it to MHA. Anyway I already said that for the most part I don't care about the extra stuff. I thought I might've before the anime aired but while i'm watching it I can't find myself caring about any of it. You like it and that's fine but I just don't care about the stuff and that's it.

Top Bottom