• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Best CHaracters BDay Today!!!!
https://twitter.com/inata_kd/status/880084893748809728
DDawiRuU0AAMWtr.jpg:small

https://twitter.com/kfnxdv/status/880078460747632640
DDaqsClV0AA8Jb_.jpg:small

https://twitter.com/Yuyu_tyatya/status/880079371230355456

caliph95

Since he eats a lot, I think it's a given.
Must be why he always eats.
The amount of money he must spend on food must be massive
Why isn't momo on his team.

It's funny unlike the trio before Rappa and Tengai don't seem to have the camaraderie of them though they work together well enough and Rappa is disrespectful unlike the rest of the bullets

cntr

Banned
Kirishima's the coolest.

Fatgum rocketing up the character scales for me, yo. I really like how his quirk fits both Suneater and Red Riot, that's clever!

i'm probably punching at invisible foes here but people who say stuff like deku and kacchan's relationship is friends and that's the reason they can't take MHA is really weird [snip]
Amen to that.

That said, I kinda do hope they have a scene at some point where someone learns how terribly Bakugou treated Midoriya and calls him out on his behalf, if only to bring closure on the matter.
I'd put my bets on Kirishima eventually fulfilling this role, yeah.

upandaway

They're such a cool duo. Really liking how well they click in personalities. Fat's a great hero boss for Kirishima.

@ the Bakugo-Deku bullying, I really doubt anyone will call it out like that. Deku's standing up to Bakugo by himself well enough (as is a theme of the manga), no need for someone else to butt in.

cntr

Banned
@ the Bakugo-Deku bullying, I really doubt anyone will call it out like that. Deku's standing up to Bakugo by himself well enough (as is a theme of the manga), no need for someone else to butt in.
Oh, I don't think Deku'll really be affected by it. I think if it happens it'll be to give character development to Bakugou and Kirishima, and Deku's going to get over it way before that.

Veelk

Banned

It doesn't necessarily have to be about need or protecting Deku (who obviously doesn't need it). It's more of a basic friend thing where you call out that a wrong doing had occurred. Like, if I found out about that kind of history about two of my friends, I'd ask "Well, what the hell, man?" Even if they had already resolved it between them, I don't feel I'd be a good friend if I did nothing.

cntr

Banned
It doesn't necessarily have to be about need or protecting Deku (who obviously doesn't need it). It's more of a basic friend thing where you call out that a wrong doing had occurred. Like, if I found out about that kind of history about two of my friends, I'd ask "Well, what the hell, man?" Even if they had already resolved it between them, I don't feel I'd be a good friend if I did nothing.
Yeah, and like, Kirishima basically has a crush on Bakugou. He'd be shocked to find out his backstory.

Meffer

Must be why he always eats.
The amount of money he must spend on food must be massive
Why isn't momo on his team.

It's funny unlike the trio before Rappa and Tengai don't seem to have the camaraderie of them though they work together well enough and Rappa is disrespectful unlike the rest of the bullets

We saw in an earlier that food places offer him food as an expression of gratitude. That and since he's a popular hero I think presume he's well payed.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Fatgum is pretty great but maaaaaa I'm not digging these bad guys so far power wise. So far all pretty run of the mill. I'm waiting to reserve judgment for the weird one, the guy with the quirk where you go "how the hell does that even work?"

Though dude's mask ripping open was super fucking rad.

NSESN

Kirishima jumping in to protect Fatgum made my day, or should I say Fitgum.

Fatgum is pretty great but maaaaaa I'm not digging these bad guys so far power wise. So far all pretty run of the mill. I'm waiting to reserve judgment for the weird one, the guy with the quirk where you go "how the hell does that even work?"

Though dude's mask ripping open was super fucking rad.
They are powerful, but they are also going against top tier pros and 3rd year UA students. Against a first year student it wasn't even close, Rappa destroyed Kirishima.

MrCinos

An interesting take on the traitor theory:

https://youtu.be/Opp8AoDsPWA

I know the most popular theory is Kaminari being the traitor, but I think this one makes just as much sense.

I thought Tooru being traitor was the most common theory. People jumped on Kaminari bandwagon mostly because of a mind-blowing aspect and how much more surprising it'd be. Most of the people supporting it do it half-jokingly as well. Not to mention it'd be boring if the most suspicious and obvious character turns out to be a traitor. Her name is basically spelling it, lol.

Jintor

by the way one of the things that ova made me think about was that horishiki does a really good job of not making characters only about their quirks.

ova2 was obviously a gag episode so it was fine in that sense that the 'bad guy' just so happened to have this dumb overly specific quirk that did a dumb overly specific thing to engineer the plot (such as it was) along, but it made me reflect on the main series and how characters are introduced almost always as characters first, quirk second.

Obvious candidates are Shinsou and yelling guy in the hero licence exam arc, but even one-offs like Stain or Muscle Eye Guy are way more about who they are and what they represent as opposing points of view or ideologies than about their quirks. There's certainly exceptions to this rule like Teeth Guy or i guess a lot of the mooks in the current arc, but what i immediately think about it largely character first, quirk second.

caliph95

by the way one of the things that ova made me think about was that horishiki does a really good job of not making characters only about their quirks.

ova2 was obviously a gag episode so it was fine in that sense that the 'bad guy' just so happened to have this dumb overly specific quirk that did a dumb overly specific thing to engineer the plot (such as it was) along, but it made me reflect on the main series and how characters are introduced almost always as characters first, quirk second.

Obvious candidates are Shinsou and yelling guy in the hero licence exam arc, but even one-offs like Stain or Muscle Eye Guy are way more about who they are and what they represent as opposing points of view or ideologies than about their quirks. There's certainly exceptions to this rule like Teeth Guy or i guess a lot of the mooks in the current arc, but what i immediately think about it largely character first, quirk second.
Great a way of thinking about it and while the characters are not the most complex or developed it at least makes them feel belivable and makes the world more "human" for a shonen

At first I thought that by Teeth Guy you meant Tabe, the Scarecrow looking grunt from this arc, but realized it was Moonfish, the guy from the camping arc. They seemed to be more or less the same type of character, being weirdo cannibals with eating related powers. Tabe, along with the other grunts did get a throwaway line about why they are like they are, though Tabe in particular just had the line that he just couldn't conform to society, which is kind of vague. Maybe people with specific quirks like that just are driven to do inhuman or destructive things. Still, all the grunts in this arc were established as disposable mooks and fights the moment they were introduced, so you're not going to get much characterization overall.

But regarding quirks that are seemingly evil, or at least kind of questionable, by default, I wonder how Stain (or Stain's parents if he inherited it from one of them) figured what his power even was in the first place. Toga seems like the type who would have just tried to lick up blood, but if Stain started off as an aspiring hero, so it seems odd. Maybe he just knew that his freaky tongue had to be good for something and tested it out on stuff.

Jintor

probably at a certain age you fear being quirkless and start testing yourself surreptitiously for all kinds of bullshit to make sure you've at least got something

also, probably, at some point he probably just licked his own blood cos kids are weird

caliph95

Tbf there is a way to tell wheter someone quirkless or not it's a matter of what is it. I do wonder how you figure out how some quirks are .I do want to see how did the parents and the kids reacted when their quirk activated. Did mina helt her clothes or toys, did momo just woke up and found out she was producing tape. Might be the reason Dabi is the way he is
besides possible abuse by endeavour
.Though i imagine they will look at the parents quirk and work from there

Jintor

quirks seem mostly to manifest sometime during preschool and elementary school.

momo had a thing at the back of one of her books where it seemed apparent she was actively working on her quirk, but it must have been after she knew what her quirk was.

Nightbird

Tbf there is a way to tell wheter someone quirkless or not it's a matter of what is it. I do wonder how you figure out how some quirks are .

I think the easiest way to do this is to do something related to your parents quirk.

In case of blood-related quirks it'll probably lead to some fucked up and weird experiments tough

Meffer

Concerning Stain, I was thinking about the fact about his nose or lack of. One thing is that it's clean cut for the most part like he did it himself and made a point to cover it up too. So why? Well smelling with your nose is a huge factor of how you taste. Without it you get very little out whatever you put on your tongue. And considering how his quirk works, I had a revelation.

So what I mean is is that Stain cut his own nose off because he hates the taste of blood. And I have to point out that he chose this life, to reform society by killing out the fake heroes, he doesn't do anything else. That's how dedicated he his to his ideas.

NSESN

I just wish Horikoshi don't fall in the same trap that Oda did with 6th coffin mystery. Either the traitor is good or evil, or if there ins't a traitor to begin with, I would like a reveal that isn't disappointing.

Todays chapter was decent, but i just hate how Kiri looks in his transformed state, so bulky and ugly. Though at least he is passionate. Battle just feels like the writer is just appealing to the results of popularity poll and giving hardcore kiri fans fanservice for his character. Surprised there were no flashbacks in this chapter too.

caliph95

Todays chapter was decent, but i just hate how Kiri looks in his transformed state, so bulky and ugly. Though at least he is passionate. Battle just feels like the writer is just appealing to the results of popularity poll and giving hardcore kiri fans fanservice for his character. Surprised there were no flashbacks in this chapter too.
Thought you would like that

Anyway
Code:
[IMG]http://heroaca.com/images/news/170626/config2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://heroaca.com/images/news/170626/config1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/max1000x1500/cms/news/118325/jeans.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/max1000x1500/cms/news/118325/gunhead.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/max1000x1500/cms/news/118325/fourthkind.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/max1000x1500/cms/news/118325/uwabami.jpg[/IMG]

Top Bottom