• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

caliph95

Aizawa did point out how flawed the tests are so possibly.
Probably because a lot of pro we know wouldn't have been able to enter current UA

Guys, there's no way that the "flexing by the pool" line is supposed to be anything other than a joke. The smoke that comes out when he switches was literally a plot point. I don't care how much you flex, you don't let off smoke.

That said, I doubt he's going to make Duku super swole. Wouldn't line up with his character pretty well.

Best not to think too hard about it.

NSESN

Aizawa did point out how flawed the tests are so possibly.
Probably because a lot of pro we know wouldn't have been able to enter current UA

It reminds me of the subtle criticism this episode gives about the hero society today. Mina like Bakugou was hyped like a hero by all the people around because they fit the image of a popular hero because their quirks and/or personality, while Kirishima and Deku were already discarded as being heroes because their quirks or fault of one didn't fit that image.
If you think about it UA is huge culprit. Both entrance exams and the sport festival are events that enforce this. It is basically a huge criticism to the real Japan society with its study and working culture. It is very rare to see this in anime/manga and it is one of the reasons I like this work so much.

caliph95

It reminds me of the subtle criticism this episode gives about the hero society today. Mina like Bakugou was hyped like a hero by all the people around because they fit the image of a popular hero because their quirks and/or personality, while Kirishima and Deku were already discarded as being heroes because their quirks or fault of one didn't fit that image.
If you think about it UA is huge culprit. Both entrance exams and the sport festival are events that enforce this.
Which is funny Mina is irrelavent and Kirishima is probably more capable in dealing with vllains. He is basically the shonen protag that we would have if Deku wasn't the lead

Which was already pointed by Shinsou because hs powers are not "heroic" and he was screwed because his powers are useless for fighting robots

So is Aizawa, Midnight, recovery girl, uwabami (medusa girl) and probably snipe, maybe best jeanist

Meffer

Some of the most popular heroes in the world have unconventional powers. Look at Spider-Man. He can do what a spider can. Not impressive at first glance but he actually has an amazing power. That and Peter's ingenuity really brought out its potential.

caliph95

Some of the most popular heroes in the world have unconventional powers. Look at Spider-Man. He can do what a spider can. Not impressive at first glance but he actually has an amazing power. That and Peter's ingenuity really brought out its potential.
Because spiders are known for their strenght and lifting weights, but yeah

cntr

Banned
Guys, there's no way that the "flexing by the pool" line is supposed to be anything other than a joke. The smoke that comes out when he switches was literally a plot point. I don't care how much you flex, you don't let off smoke.
It's a joke yeah, but it's also kind of an okay way to explain it? The activation-muscle-growth thing is pretty consistently there, so better to assume that that's just how it works.

That said, I doubt he's going to make Deku super swole. Wouldn't line up with his character pretty well.
Deku'll probably end up looking like...MCU Captain America, maybe?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
All Might's transformation and Deku's ability to mimic his face are two gags that are not going to be explained.

caliph95

984.png

That said, I doubt he's going to make Duku super swole. Wouldn't line up with his character pretty well.

Best not to think too hard about it.
Well I don't think he's going to look like All Might either, but I think he will get a lot bigger. I think All Might looked more around Sato's size before the accident and going 100% was his muscle form. Deku is only able to go up to 8% now.

I also think there might be more to the power than he's telling Deku right now since he hasn't gotten a hold on it yet.

Lakuza

how is the spin off manga now? Seeing stain mentioned in past few posts has got my interest...

I ask this because I remember reading the first chapter and being put off by the fan service character that could jump or fly. Does it stay consistent to the first chapter of being a mash up of parody and fan service or does it go on to focus on a serious plot?

Jintor

it's got a plot, but it's kinda low key right now

the 'fanservice' character barely is tbh. i like her tho, she's got a good civvie mode design imho

the absolute best part is the numerous americomic shoutouts (two recurring side characters are basically hoodlum wolverine and cyclops, and stain just rekt the yakuza avengers)

how is the spin off manga now? Seeing stain mentioned in past few posts has got my interest...

I ask this because I remember reading the first chapter and being put off by the fan service character that could jump or fly. Does it stay consistent to the first chapter of being a mash up of parody and fan service or does it go on to focus on a serious plot?

It's improved enormously from the first issue. Definitely worth checking out.

Pop Step is still not great but she's picked up some depth. Just needs a new costume now.

NSESN

The strenght of the spin-off is that you expect it to have fanfic levels of quality but it is decent. It would be weak by itself but I think it works very well as it was intended, a spin-off.

caliph95

also just to reiterate pop step is v good
Code:
[IMG]https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/bokunoheroacademia/images/2/2a/Pop-Step_hero_costume.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/243?cb=20170130110628[/IMG]
Code:
[IMG]https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.74198873.0413/raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg[/IMG]

cntr

Banned
It's MHA's 3 year anniversary! Started July 7th, 2014.

...man, on one hand I'm like "wow, it's been 3 years?" and on the other "wow, it's only been 3 years?".

Part of why I like the spinoff is that I really do enjoy big, sprawling superhero universes. S'why I read comics, mostly. So if slightly uneven quality gives me another window in the MHA universe, I'm down for that.

Now gimme another book set in America or something.

Yknow theres 1 thing that i really like about heroaca is the parralels horikoshi does

Like thw maturing and devlopment of shigaraki as a parallel or mirror with deku growing side by side.
As deku develops as a hero shigaraki develops as a villain

we are starting to see it happening in this weeks episode i didnt realise when reading the manga it started this early.

I wanted to know is there another shounen or just general manga that has this long form parallel of growth on both sides of the coin thing cause my shounen or manga/anime knowledge honestly isnt that deep and i find i really like this kind of thing

caliph95

For something no one cares about i do love the preview with Shigiraki instead and he should be the one to do all of them
especially when they are doing the plus ultra thing that they do at the end of every preview
Deku: GO BEYOND
Tomura: Not this time
Deku: GO BEYOND
Tomura: I SAID NO

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Seeing the new opening, it looks like this cour will cover the End of Term Test.

Meaning Season 3 will be the Camping Trip and the Hideout Raid ending with All Might vs All for One.

Grexeno

Seeing the new opening, it looks like this cour will cover the End of Term Test.

Meaning Season 3 will be the Camping Trip and the Hideout Raid ending with All Might vs All for One.
You think Season 3 will be just one cour?

Anyway, I wonder if they're going to expand on the End of Term Test fights that only got, like, a panel in the manga.

caliph95

Anyway, I wonder if they're going to expand on the End of Term Test fights that only got, like, a panel in the manga.
They added extra volume material stuff for the fights and i think Jiro was anime original but i won't be suprised they will.

caliph95

Even with having a bunch of limiters on him and being weak he still was destroying buildings

AM too op please nerf

though i think the only big thing besides the mall that people remember was Momo and Todoroki fight and development for the both of them

Jintor

that's two good fights, mineta finally doing something that indicates he has a brain between his ears, and froppy being a good frog. And a brief scene of Uravity finally getting some self-realisation.

it's a good little breather arc.

NSESN

The camp looked like a breather arc at first but things went to shit so quickly. I wonder how anime onlys will react to the 180 turn of tone in that arc

Moaradin

One cour makes since if they want to end it on that high point. Not sure where they would end it if it's another 25 episode season. It would start getting into the current manga stuff and there hasn't really been any good stopping points yet.

Grexeno

One cour makes since if they want to end it on that high point. Not sure where they would end it if it's another 25 episode season. It would start getting into the current manga stuff and there hasn't really been any good stopping points yet.
End of Overhaul arc would be the only place.

NSESN

End of Overhaul arc would be the only place.

No way. Both the license arc and Overhaul arcs are too big for just one cour.

BTW, in the end of term part of OP the 3 that fight Stain are abscent, a nice touch to not spoil that all 3 survive, or that Iida is injured.

Top Bottom