• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Actually... the rabbit hole goes deeper.

Remember how we all thought that Ponies are just harmony loving and caring? Well, at the end of today's episode, they started quarreling over nothing... and then the winter spirits roared and ereypony froze in fear and Rainbow Dash quickly closed the windows. And then everypony laughed.

Fact: Ponies do not choose harmony, they simply live in constant fear. Equestria is a country, ruled by fear. BOOOOOM.

Well, Rarity was being a bit of a jerk asking them to close the window when she could have just used her magic...

But that's par for the course for Rarity.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Christmas is bringing about an awesome amount of Scootalove

u9s4k.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I would say that Celestia was copying the world conquest plan used by Neo-Queen Serenity, but she missed the opportunity to arrive as Equestria's savior and instead let the ponies get themselves out of the crisis.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I would say that Celestia was copying the world conquest plan used by Neo-Queen Serenity, but she missed the opportunity to arrive as Equestria's savior and instead let the ponies get themselves out of the crisis.

Well we know her and Luna saved Equestria from Discord.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
No... which clearly means he showed up later.... not really a lot of question about the time frame. Even Spike said at the start it was long before Celestia's rule.
So you agree that what we saw was the discord world that celestia has worked so hard to paint as a horrible existence under a fickle god?

didn't seem so bad before celestia showed up to 'save' them.

Zomba13

Some Nightmare before Christmas Pinkie:
98707%20-%20artist%3Abakki%20crossover%20jack_skellington%20Nightmare_Before_Chirstmas%20Night_mare_Before_Chirstmas%20pinkie_pie.jpg

Oh my. Could anyone Avatarise that for me? Either the whole picture made avatar size if it looks right or just pinkie or ideally just pinkie cut out from it.

Would like to use that as a Christmas avatar instead of my very bad Santa Pinkie.

EDIT: Nevermind. Did it myself. Was easier than I thought it'd be :D

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So you agree that what we saw was the discord world that celestia has worked so hard to paint as a horrible existence under a fickle god?

didn't seem so bad before celestia showed up to 'save' them.

I assume we saw a world pre-Discord, as well as Pre-Celestia.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Or making the logical conclusion that since we didn't see Discord, the story had nothing to do with Discord...
nothing in the series suggests that there is a 'pre discord' [he is after all much closer to an actual god than celestia] and nobody would or has suggested as much until it became convenient. welcome to the fanon community man, i knew you'd come around. :3

Sciz

The possibility also exists that this is just a story with little to no truth behind it. Modern Christmas stories sure as hell don't have much of anything to do with the holiday's various origins.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
It showed Equestria, and Equestria looked normal. We know that when Dicord is around, things look all Topsy-turvey.
but we dont know that, celestia said that but celestia has lied/been wrong about the past before.

If you are referring to the events of return to harmony that can be attributed to a nearly [if not outright] godly being punishing the creatures that trapped him in stone for who knows how long. After all, all of discords actions were centered around the main 6, once they left ponyville the world was fine.

nothing in the series suggests that there is a 'pre discord' [he is after all much closer to an actual god than celestia] and nobody would or has suggested as much until it became convenient. welcome to the fanon community man, i knew you'd come around. :3

Panda, you be trollin. You know I'm Team anti-Celestia, but the ep showed none of the hallmarks fo Discord's reign- no Chocolate Rain, no candy cane clouds, no day and night swapping within minutes. None of that chaos stuff. It's pretty clear that he didn't have the power he did in return of harmony, if he existed at all.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Panda, you be trollin. You know I'm Team anti-Celestia, but the ep showed none of the hallmarks fo Discord's reign- no Chocolate Rain, no candy cane clouds, no day and night swapping within minutes. None of that chaos stuff. It's pretty clear that he didn't have the power he did in return of harmony, if he existed at all.

no you've misunderstood. Even in return to harmony none of that chaos stuff happened away from the mane6, discord wasnt ruining the planet. once they left ponyville to find rainbow dash, everything was normal.

we only have celestias word that discord was previously hard on ponies.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/21541129#Comment_21541129
halkun said:
Ok, I went ahead and translated the last two days of 2ch Pony discussion from Japanese to English for you all.
(I'm up waaay too late tonight doing this!)

Some of the translation is a little rough, but serviceable. It's the best I can do @ 2:00 in the morning.

[Note: He is talking about Pinkie popping out of Rarity's hat]
------
あいかわらずピンキーは謎生物、というかアップルーザ回の列車と今回のファンシー列車の違いは一体…
-------
More than ever, Pinkie is some kind of biological enigma. Speaking of which, What's up with the Appaloosa train and the fancy train that they have now?

-------
劇の幕開け前、怖じけて隠れるフラタシャイをトワイライトが引っ張るシーンで
ピンキーが手助けに入りトワイライトの頭を引っ張るんだけど
トワイライト叫びすぎじゃね? 痛みに悲鳴を上げてる様に見えた。
-------
Before the start of play, there was that scene where twilight was trying to pull Fluttershy out of the box she was hiding in.
Pinkie looked like she was trying to help and was pulling on Twilights head.
Was Twilight Howling? It looked like she was yelling in pain!

-------
エクストリアの移住前の階層って
ペガサス≧ユニコーン>アースポニーって感じだったのか
-------
So, before the immigration to Equestria, the hierarchy was something like...
Pegasus >= Unicorn > Earth Pony

-------
ポニービル~キャンタロットはたぶん近郊路線
埼京線みたいなもん
アップルーザのほうに行くやつは長距離寝台特急
カシオペアとか北斗星みたいなもんでしょう。
--------
About the trains, maybe that's a Ponyville~Canterlot local line, like the Saikyo line.
The Appaloosa one seems to be a long-distance line with sleeping births
Kind of like the Cassiopea or Hokutosei Lines.

--------
キャンタロット郊外なのに田舎扱いを受けるポニービル・・・
--------
Between the suburban Canterlot and the rural Ponyville...

--------
アップルーザ:近郊とは言えないまでもそこそこ軽井沢くらいな新興の観光地?
ポニービル:群馬
ってイメージかな?
ポニービルの近くにはエバーフリーフォレストあるしエクエストリアの果てで魔境ってイメージもあるのかも
--------
Apploosa: A far off emerging tourist destination like Karuizawa
Ponyville: Gunma Prefecture?
[ed note: this is joke, the prefecture name, "Gunma" uses the characrers "group" and "horse"]
Ponyville is near the Everfree Forest. You think the image they are trying to portray is that's the edge of Equestria?

---------
これアメリカのアニメだぞ
---------
It's an American Cartoon...

---------
ゼコラさんがいるってことは、サラブレッドとか他の馬も存在する世界なんだよな
大型体型が王族特有のものでないってことは、ピンクのエロい子で証明されたし
---------
Zecora's there. In this world there are other things than just thoroughbred horses.
Don't you think that there may be a bigger story [by the writers] to all this. It was already proven by the Erotic Pink horse.
[Ed. note again: The Japanese fans have a hard time pinning down the age bracket MLP is supposed to be targeting. Non-human cartoons are made only for pre-school children in Japan. Having characters like Fluer pop up (a sexy model hanging off a well-to-do gentleman) isn't exactly something you would put into a pre-schooler's show. This, plus the American fanbase gives them the impression it might be made for older teens.]

----------
歴史ある田舎町、ド田舎まで行かない感じで。
川越、小田原、八王子…
----------
It will be like a historic town, out in the sticks, like Kawagoe, Odawara, or Hachioji.

----------
そういえばメーンハッタンだったかAJのオレンジおじさんの所も結構な都会だったな。キャンタロットが歴史ある都会でメーンハッタンが新しい都会
空の上のクラウズディールもそれなりに都会っぽい
そういえばエバーフリーフォレストの古城にエレメンツオブハーモニーがあったんだからあそこは旧首都なのか?

しかしそんなキャンタ、メーン、ポニービルから肉眼で観測出来て衝撃派の到達したソニックレインブームってどんだけすごいんだw
----------
Speaking of which, they also have cities. Like when AJ went to visit Uncle Orange. Cantorlot might be a historic city while Manehatten is a new city. You also have Cloudsdale up on the sky. On that subject, There is also the old castle in the Everfree Forest where they got the Elements of Harmony. Wan't that the old capital?

But as such, with Canterlot, Manehatten, and Ponyville, they all have to be somewhere where you see the Sonic Rainboom with the naked eye. (lol)

-----------
津波みたいなもんだな だw
-----------
It looked like a tsunami. lol

-----------
メーンハッタンの元は当然マンハッタン
フィリデルフィアの元はニューヨークの南西にあるフィラデルフィア
この付近にある山はアパラチア山脈なのでエクエストリアはこの近郊。
この付近のアパラチア山脈で大規模な森林地帯はデラウェア近郊なのでポニービルはこの付近。
だから大体元になってるエクエストリア近郊地域はペンシルヴァニア州。
汽車で向かう砂漠地帯は1860年頃の西部開拓時代が元なのでネブラスカやカンザスといったアメリカ中西部。

アメリカのアニメは特に説明が無い限りアメリカ東海岸が基準なので
大体これで辻褄が合うというのが海外での主流の考え。

もちろん名前から適当に当てはめられただけなので実際こうではないし
公式も現実世界に当てはめるつもりは無いはず

日本とアメリカの都市感覚は全く違うから日本の都市に当てはめるのは無理
------------
Manehatten is really supposed to be "Manhattan"
Phillyelphia is actually real city southwest of New York called "Philadelphia"
The mountain range close to Equestria is actually the "Appalachians"
The large forests around the Appalachians is close to Deleware. This area is Ponyville.
This places Equestria within the state of Pennsylvania.
The train was heading towards the desert areas going though Midwest such as Kansas and Nebraska. This was set in the 1860s, or the "Wild West" era.

This is an American Animation and make implicit references to the east coast. It's so it can make sense to the mainstream there.

Keep in mind they aren't officially implying these names to real locations on the show. You shouldn't try and fit these into the real world.

You can't compare the looks and ascetics of Japanese and American Cities. It's impossible.

[Ed note: OMFG he just pinned Equestria to Pennsylvania! He's using the Pokemon/kanto theory :)]

--------------
いくら都市感覚が違ってようと
別に想像するだけならええんちゃう
--------------
We can just imagine that some cities just have a different feel.

--------------
最新話の劇、最後の旗になんでセレスティアとルナが描いてあるんだろ、まだ出てきてないのに
ディスコード出現→3種族仲違い→姉妹がハーモニーでディスコード退治→3種族仲良しに→エクストリア建国
だと思ってたけどなんか全然違うな
--------------
In the last part of the Play's story, they rose a flag with Celestia and Luna on it, but they didn't mention them.

Discord's appearance -> 3 Tribes broke up -> The sisters use harmony to imprison Discord -> 3 tribes become friends -> Equestria is founded

...something like that, but it might be completely different.

----------------
そのへんはまた語られるんじゃないかなぁ。
S2の最終話とか、S3の最初とか。
----------------
That is a weird way of telling the story
They may elaborate at the end of season 2 and the start of season 3.

----------------
ディスコードって元々存在していたってよりも
伝説の生物として造られた石像に
争いの念が吹きこまれて現れたって感じがするんだけど
----------------
So Discord existed then,
I get the feeling that there was some competition and he not some legendary creature that was turned to stone

----------------
とにかく翻訳待ちだな
----------------
I'll just wait for a translation
----------------

Equestria is in Pennsylvania.....huh. Dunno how I feel about that but his logic makes sense. I guess that explain's Pinkie's (Amish?) family

Cheerilee

I was actually pondering what to call someone obsessed with American culture. I was going to go with reverse-weaboo, but westaboos sounds much better.

I don't think it's really fair to say they're obsessed with American culture just because they watch MLP:FIM. I mean, it's 2ch. Their interest is animation, usually their own animation, but sometimes animation in general. Some bronies have been fansubbing MLP:FIM into Japanese and offering it to 2ch. Some of them became interested.

I mean, Bronyism got it's start on 4chan. Does it make sense to conclude that 4channers are obsessed with American cartoons?

LuffyZoro

Time for an art dump!

However, this one is special. Two days ago, we had a Draw a Pony Day in the IRC. We ended up with 5 submissions, and here they are.

Buf, with his sketch of Scribbles.

Me, LuffyZoro, with a pony called Sums.

Ahoyhoy, with the only pencil and paper, and only canon pony, drawing of Pinkie Pie.

Bak, with a sketch of Bakpony.

And last, but not least, Myke, with a drawing of Mykepony Fixer Upper.
6mbz1.jpg

EDIT: And an updated version three posts down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom