• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

But she's not. She's a huge scaredy-cat, who has to relearn overcoming her fears, time and again, because it's so ingrained into her persona - and probably because, given her attempts to bolden up, she'll overshoot and wind up either staring people shitless ("Dragonshy", "The Stare Master"), snapping and becoming an affection-seeking psychopath ("The Best Night Ever"), or turning into "New Fluttershy" ("Putting Your Hoof Down"). I still love her character in spite of that, but I she's most assuredly not perfection incarnate.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Really? People say that?

I kind of figured if Rainbow needed to learn a lesson, then, well, Rainbow should be the one to learn the lesson. I mean, she can be undeniably arrogant - funnily enough, more than the fashion-obsessed character, who's usually the go-to character for arrogant traits in other shows. Certainly more than the other main characters, so there's a fairly blatant Rainbow-only lesson to be learned right there. Which "Mare-Do-Well" tackled. There's no reason at all she should drag other characters into lessons that apply to her, and her alone.

And I'm pretty sure they did try just talking to her, during the whole scene with the ghostwriting, didn't they? It didn't work. Maybe the whole vigilante thing was a bit over the top, but hell, I don't care, it was good fun to watch. About the only thing from that episode I didn't like was watching Rainbow go off the deep end in the third act - the whole sequence was awkward as hell (protecting grass? Really? She'd stoop that low?) and was uncomfortable to watch.

Lets be fair, Rarity just rarely gets caught. Lying to everyone with no consequence or lesson, stealing candy from babies, manipulating men every chance she gets.

That's deplorable, sure (if really blowing it out of proportion in a few of these instances), but it's not arrogance, so my point stands. ;P

Violet_0

Banned
Lets be fair, Rarity just rarely gets caught. Lying to everyone with no consequence or lesson, stealing candy from babies, manipulating men every chance she gets.

which is precisely why she's the (second) best pony - learning from your mistakes is for lesser ponies

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
But she's not. She's a huge scaredy-cat, who has to relearn overcoming her fears, time and again, because it's so ingrained into her persona - and probably because, given her attempts to bolden up, she'll overshoot and wind up either staring people shitless ("Dragonshy", "The Stare Master"), snapping and becoming an affection-seeking psychopath ("The Best Night Ever"), or turning into "New Fluttershy" ("Putting Your Hoof Down"). I still love her character in spite of that, but I she's most assuredly not perfection incarnate.

Not all that different from anxious/quiet/sensitive people IRL.

Fluttershy sees Rarity "flirt" with nerd pony and sees it as manipulative, deceitful, insensitive, even harsh. Same with Rainbow Dash's pranks. Meanwhile everyone asserts her it's nothing of the sort. Fluttereshy decides to put her hoof down and fit in by being like everyone else, but responds in away that is biting and emotionally scarring, as that is how she reconciles the conflict between the way she interpreted others actions towards her/assertiveness with the way they described such assertiveness as no big deal. She thinks "well, it's okay to say something THAT nasty, since everyone seems to be able to handle it okay and assures me it's normal assertiveness/pranking."

Perspective matters, and it tends to make sensitive/passive people into huge dicks when they try to become what they perceive others to consider "normal". They see cruelty where others see jokes, so when they try to step out of their shells and make jokes like others, they just end up being cruel.

It's why I try to never talk smack, because I just end up going too far. :p

ilcane87

Well, I'm a Fluttershy fan, but unlike you, I don't like her in spite of her flaws, but because of them, as much as I do for her qualities.
(just how boring would a flawless character be anyway?)

I think your wording is a bit unfair though, you make it sound like her character development is ignored and repeated in following episodes, which I haven't seen happening.
It's not like in "Dragonshy" she learned not to be scared of anything (how could you turn from cowardly to brave overnight?), but to overcome her fears for the sake of her friends, in emergency situations; in fact, at the end of the episode she's still scared by a leaf falling on her back.
But she showed that she learnt her lesson in "Stare Master", where she forced herself to enter the Everfree Forest alone and face the Cockatrice for the sake of the CMC, despite her comically displayed fears, and without any of her friends pushing her this time; she didn't re-learn the lesson either, what she learnt in that episode was something about not biting off more than she could chew.

In "Hurricane Fluttershy" she clears this up herself to Rainbow Dash, saying she could fly just fine in case of emergency, but not for a performance: that's an entirely different kind of fear to overcome, and she does it for the first time at the end of the episode.

I also appreciate how she learns to be more assertive in everyday situations during "Putting you Hoof Down", and is later shown strictly refusing to comply in the intro of "Dragon Quest", displaying a completely different attitude from the one she showed during "Dragonshy" in similar circumnstances.

So yea, while Fluttershy is as flawed as every other "mane-6" Pony, and will (thanksfully) always be for the sake of comedy and entertainment, she's also shown no small amount of improvements and development over time.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
i dont watch or like the show, but I almost want to join the discussion due to yr response lol. well at least the show's fans aren't dicks.
MLP:FiM fandom has repeatedly proven itself to be the fandom with the absolute lowest dick ratio amongst all fandoms.

Oh, wait, this doesn't sound right.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I know her character and she's not perfect (and in fact, her lack of development makes me hate her as opposed to before while I'm slowly returning to like RD due to her development). However, fans are as I said, deluded.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
hey, so is this really a thread for people who watch my little pony and not a pedo disguised group ploy?

If you're reading this from beyond the grave, ant1532...

Give the show a chance.

Seriously.

I ragged on Nikashi and a few other bronies for about a year for watching MLP. I mean, it's fucking My Little Pony.

Then a few months ago I made a deal with Nikashi to watch a few eps of MLP if he would watch Mawaru Penguin Drum.

Well, I watched a few eps, and I was hooked. I gradually watched all of season 1 and what had aired of season 2, and caught up I think around the halfway point of season 2.

It's an incredibly well-written cartoon. Is it geared towards younger female audiences? Yes. Is it enjoyable for people of all ages? YES. It doesn't have any groan-worthy LET'S HAVE A TEA PARTY AND TALK ABOUT BEING PRINCESSES WHEN WE GROW UP!!!1111 scenes. The only slightly cringe-worthy overly cutesy aspect of the show is the opening song, which is slightly less cringe-worthy in season 2 as opposed to season 1.

You may not remember this, but shows like He-Man and Transformers were for boys what the My Little Pony cartoons were for little girls: extremely low-quality crap designed only to market and sell toys to little kids.

Hasbro saw how Michael Bay had modernized Transformers and given it mass appeal and was inspired to create something more respectful and with more mass appeal for My Little Pony. So they went out and got Lauren Faust (of Powerpuff Girls fame) to direct and produce the show, and hired well-respected industry personnel like Amy Keating Rogers, Cindy Morrow, Meghan McCarthy, Chris Savino, Charlotte Fullerton, M. A. Larson, and Dave Polsky at Faust's recommendation to fulfil this vision.

Give it a chance. I was in your shoes just a few months ago, and I am proud to say I was wrong. Friendship is Magic is good. Really good.

So when can we expect Season 3 to begin?

It's already here!

6eOfm.jpg

Top Bottom